The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #61
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I'm going to Hawaii again with my family in a couple of weeks and I originally thought that I'd bring a new dive watch with me since dive watches mixed well with the pool and beach theoretically.

I'm PADI certified but with my family it's hard to dive by myself so I'd most likely only see myself in the pool and shallow beach water. In other words the 100m WR of GMT 2 is more than enough for what I need and the added functionality of dual time is very useful for the time difference of Hawaii with the mainland.

In other words, I can't think of one reason to wear a dive watch (300m) with me when I already have a GMT 2 when I'm vacationing. Well I guess the other reason would be that my dive watch is ceramic whereas my GMT is rose gold so less conspicuous to wear the dive watch.

I guess it's a rhetorical dilemma but I'm interested in what others have to say since many of you have a bigger collection than I do.

Do you really need to know the mainland time as well (you do nit need a GMT for that either, strictly speaking )?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:43 AM   #62
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Great photos. I've never brought more than one watch with me going anywhere as the extra logistics is too much work mentally.

This photo must be taken from the fabulous, famous Florian Cafe?

Congratulations, these are moments in life are worth living for!

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:55 AM   #63
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post
Do you really need to know the mainland time as well (you do nit need a GMT for that either, strictly speaking )?

True. Strictly speaking I can always do the math in the head. I still haven't found a need for dive watch even when I dive.

Recreational diving is so shallow there is almost never a need to keep track of the elapsed time anyways. I don't think you get the bend even if you just pop to the surface and there is so much redundancy built into the system for oxygen tank especially with diver pairing.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:55 AM   #64
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Great photos. I've never brought more than one watch with me going anywhere as the extra logistics is too much work mentally.
I agree. Will take multiple straps, but too much to worry about if I bring multiple watches!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #65
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I always wear a Submariner on a “beach” vacation. I wear a GMT on a “travel” vacation (museums, sights, etc).
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:33 AM   #66
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I always wear a Submariner on a “beach” vacation. I wear a GMT on a “travel” vacation (museums, sights, etc).

I do too (well when I owned a Sub) but I would not be averse to the opposite either.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #67
Avionics86
"TRF" Member

I always wear the sub while diving.
Avionics86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 06:27 PM   #68
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Easy decision for me.

I’d bring my GMT if I’m only going to be in shallow beach water or a pool.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:30 AM   #69
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I always wear a dive watch to beach vacays. It just feels right.

The proper choice would be a 3900 meter solid gold case and bracelet , helium escape valve equipped diver, but obviously that doesn't exi...

Wait..
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 10:51 AM   #70
art1810
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm going to Hawaii again with my family in a couple of weeks and I originally thought that I'd bring a new dive watch with me since dive watches mixed well with the pool and beach theoretically.

I'm PADI certified but with my family it's hard to dive by myself so I'd most likely only see myself in the pool and shallow beach water. In other words the 100m WR of GMT 2 is more than enough for what I need and the added functionality of dual time is very useful for the time difference of Hawaii with the mainland.

In other words, I can't think of one reason to wear a dive watch (300m) with me when I already have a GMT 2 when I'm vacationing. Well I guess the other reason would be that my dive watch is ceramic whereas my GMT is rose gold so less conspicuous to wear the dive watch.

I guess it's a rhetorical dilemma but I'm interested in what others have to say since many of you have a bigger collection than I do.

The whole point about Rolex Oyster case watches is that you can for example take a Lady DJ Pearlmaster chronometer with a Pearl dial and diamond indicia and use it as:

- your amateur snorkelling/scuba watch

- your ship's chronometer

- a dress watch

Even vintage Rolex watches do this perfectly as long as they are correctly serviced.

So in short, your modern six digit reference, ceramic bezel, GMT Master 2, and its insanely satisfying over engineering, is just fine for swimming on holidays.
art1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 10:57 AM   #71
psifox
"TRF" Member

I have always loved the GMT, nothing can take its place.
psifox is offline   Reply With Quote