The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 February 2016, 04:08 AM   #1
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II 116710 BLNR

First post, been lurking for awhile. I tried the search function but came up empty handed.

I purchased my BLNR about four months ago. After about two months of ownership, i noticed that it keeps dying when i take it off to sleep. I wear it all day, everyday. I do self wind it when it dies before i reset the time but it continues to die. It might not die within the next day but it hasn't kept time like i think it should be. Is it time to bring it in for a service?

Thanks.
rnguyenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:13 AM   #2
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguyenn View Post
First post, been lurking for awhile. I tried the search function but came up empty handed.

I purchased my BLNR about four months ago. After about two months of ownership, i noticed that it keeps dying when i take it off to sleep. I wear it all day, everyday. I do self wind it when it dies before i reset the time but it continues to die. It might not die within the next day but it hasn't kept time like i think it should be. Is it time to bring it in for a service?

Thanks.
That shouldn't be happening it should have at least a 36 hour power reserve. I would take it to a RSC next to you or the AD you bought it from?

If you bought it on gray market the warranty should still good just take it in to any AD or RSC and they'll be able to fix it for you.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:17 AM   #3
Rolexfiends
"TRF" Member

I agree I believe the rotor is bad that's what builds up the power reserve
Rolexfiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:44 AM   #4
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

I bought it from an AD, but the store i bought it from is about an 2hr drive away(where i was living at the time). If i'm not mistaken, i can bring it into another AD and have them take care of it correct?
Old 2 February 2016, 06:06 AM   #5
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought it from an AD, but the store i bought it from is about an 2hr drive away(where i was living at the time). If i'm not mistaken, i can bring it into another AD and have them take care of it correct?
Call the RSC in Dallas and deal with them directly. They will give you detailed shipping instructions, and instead of two 2 hour drives to drop off and pick up your watch you'll have one trip to the post office to send it to them.
Old 2 February 2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Charlie_pace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
Yeah, definitely not normal. I agree with the above post regarding RSC. Get this repaired ASAP, or go back to the AD and ask for a swap.
Charlie_pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
First, lets make sure the watch is actually wound correctly. 40 full clockwise turns is a full wind.

Secondly, identify a source to time the watch's time keeping, a good quartz watch will do. Do not use your phone or computer. Time is affected by connection speed.

Third, even though you wear your watch through the day, the activity level may not be high enough to actually maintain the mainspring wound. As a consequence it winds down at night.
For example, an accountant or executive working in a office and going to meetings might not be active enough, but a UPS delivery guy on the job will surely move around enough to keep the mainspring wound.

I have a very active wearing pattern, and my watch is only wound when ever I change the date or if I leave it off for more than 24 hours just because I like winding it, but it's usually still running when I pick it up.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 10:56 AM   #8
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
First, lets make sure the watch is actually wound correctly. 40 full clockwise turns is a full wind.

Secondly, identify a source to time the watch's time keeping, a good quartz watch will do. Do not use your phone or computer. Time is affected by connection speed.

Third, even though you wear your watch through the day, the activity level may not be high enough to actually maintain the mainspring wound. As a consequence it winds down at night.
For example, an accountant or executive working in a office and going to meetings might not be active enough, but a UPS delivery guy on the job will surely move around enough to keep the mainspring wound.

I have a very active wearing pattern, and my watch is only wound when ever I change the date or if I leave it off for more than 24 hours just because I like winding it, but it's usually still running when I pick it up.
I do wind the lock 40 times clockwise when it dies on me and i understand what you are talking about "wearing" the watch. I am moving a lot when i wear it and i do not have a desk job. I thought that maybe me not moving enough was the case, but apparently not. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old 2 February 2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Service time for sure
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 10:45 PM   #10
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Well then sounds like an issue for sure, but not a servicing issue....with a watch this new, this is a warranty situation. Send it in.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2016, 05:39 AM   #11
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well then sounds like an issue for sure, but not a servicing issue....with a watch this new, this is a warranty situation. Send it in.
I actually had a last minute trip to the New Orleans where i bought my watch from and stopped by my AD i purchased it from. I spoke to their tech on site and he said it's abnormal and they said it'd be best to send it in to Rolex. Does anyone know the average turn around time?
Old 3 February 2016, 06:26 AM   #12
ViperB
2024 Pledge Member

It will take about 4-5 weeks with shipping both ways.
ViperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2016, 02:20 PM   #13
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperB View Post
It will take about 4-5 weeks with shipping both ways.
I had a warranty issue recently, took it to my AD which sent it to the RSC and I had it back in 3 weeks. I had my DateJust serviced in October, same procedure, and it was also back in the three weeks. Any AD can help you if you purchased it from one as this is a warranty issue, and you shouldn't be charged a cent. Good luck!
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 08:19 AM   #14
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

Follow up: I got a call from my AD who received one from the RSC in Dallas. They checked it out and did not find anything wrong with it. The RSC suggested to let their techs wear it for a week(wrist time is what my AD called it) so that they can be 100% sure nothing is wrong with it. This will also let them fine tune the watch if they notice it is too fast or slow. They will also fix anything else that they notice.

Has anyone else experienced this in the past? I gave them the go ahead to do it. If i were to say no, they'd just mail my watch back to my AD with no adjustments made to it since they didn't find anything wrong with it when they opened it up.
Old 21 February 2016, 03:58 PM   #15
spd707
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Very interesting. I am interested in the ultimate outcome.
spd707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 07:23 AM   #16
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

I got my watch back on the 19th. Rolex service center in dallas could not find anything wrong with it, even after the wrist time. The only thing they did was some fine tune adjustments and add a few new scratches that'll buff out. I'm not sure if this was done from shipping or the person wearing my watch. I'm just happy to have it back after a little over a month.
Old 29 March 2016, 11:50 PM   #17
thoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Now that it has been back for a few days are you still having the same issues? I have had my GMT Master II for a little over 2 months without an issue. I am curious regarding the overall outcome.
thoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 01:06 AM   #18
rnguyenn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoff View Post
Now that it has been back for a few days are you still having the same issues? I have had my GMT Master II for a little over 2 months without an issue. I am curious regarding the overall outcome.
I have not had any issues with it ever since i got it back.
Old 8 April 2016, 02:41 AM   #19
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I have not had any issues with it ever since i got it back.
Well that is good!

I just find it odd that there is a job of wearing watches for testing purposes
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 04:52 AM   #20
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I wouldn't give it to anyone to wear if i was you. Just take it off them give it a full wind and observe yourself.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 08:31 PM   #21
Luxurywatchvn

I think rotor 's rolex is good activity
Luxurywatchvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 05:52 PM   #22
m3vert
"TRF" Member

I had the same "wrist time" situation when we sent in my Wife's watch to the AD, they sent it to the rolex repair centre and they struggled to find what was causing the loss of time. They assured me the watch would be worn for a week, but only during the day and would not leave their service centre. After telling us nothing was wrong and they had not opened the watch, it was returned to us. It now keeps very good time!! In my opinion they clearly done some adjustment to the watch but never let on what! Go figure?
As long as yours is now ok that's the main thing.
m3vert is offline   Reply With Quote