The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2024, 03:49 PM   #31
lab rat
"TRF" Member

In my 50s. Best years of my life. Still happily married, my kids are becoming men which is great to witness, I have enough wisdom and experience to do my job as it should be done, I appreciate and understand other people more than ever before.

As for the body... It's vintage vs. modern in a way: if you like your watches with all the scratches because it gives them character, why do you think about yourself differently? Enjoy your metaphorical loose jubilees, tropical dials, and non-polished cases of yesteryear, people.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 04:40 PM   #32
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You know you are getting old when you bend down to pick something up and you give the sound effects that’s it really heavy when in fact it’s not
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 06:48 PM   #33
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I’ll be 65 in a couple of months. Lots of aches and pains with daily activities. I still work full time but retiring in December 2024. I feel in good health and I always see the Dr whenever I feel out of sorts. I make a point to get yearly exams, dental cleanings, scheduled colonoscopy screening, and visit my dermatologist every year. Had skin cancer a couple of times so I keep screening for it and wear sunblock. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds, but not terribly over weight. I hope to age gracefully and live another 30+ years. Best of luck to all. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:20 PM   #34
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Floaters … me too
And in every car and truck I own. I even keep a pair in the garage hanging along with our furnace room. All this happened at about 48.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:32 PM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
And in every car and truck I own. I even keep a pair in the garage hanging along with our furnace room. All this happened at about 48.

Yep, exact same here, at about that age too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:27 PM   #36
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Aging has been everything I expected and more, to say the least. I turned 60 this year and for the most part have had good health my entire life. I was an athlete in High School and College but never suffered any significant injuries that have carried over. I was fortunate to be able to retire just shy of 50. I lost 30 pounds, walk 4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, for the last decade and go to the local gym for weight training three days a week. I eliminated alcohol 19 years ago and have never used drugs of any kind. But I have noticed that aging is a crap shoot. I know people much younger than me that look and act much older and vice versa. I have found that you can do all the right thing and still have aging related issues but just not as many or as bad. As time goes by it is interesting to be here for the ride.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #37
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Thanks everyone for the great responses! This one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmgbob View Post
I workout very consistently and try to eat right (my goal is to reduce my a1c to the point that I can get off Metformin. ...Any suggestions? I dont see myself as a big yoga guy, primarily as I lack coordination.
Brothers of a different mothers, you and I. I have found a strong correlation between my A1C and weight. I've also added Jardiance to my Metformin regime, which has helped marginally. Jardiance also tends to help you recognize when you are full, which can help with weight.

I did yoga weekly before the pandemic, and just didn't go back after the lockdowns ended. However, it made a great improvement (which has remained, somewhat) in my balance which is important for us seniors. And it's not so much coordination as it is stretching and balance, with perhaps some mild cardio depending on who is leading the session. And to me, that's the big part. You need a yoga instructor who knows how to adapt their practice to the other yogi there, according to their age, flexibility and abilities. I've done hot yoga (hated it) and some "fast yoga" (my term) which I hated even more. But different strokes for different folks, eh?

I think it's well worth trying. Some full service gyms have yoga classes included, but usually it's just finding a local yoga studio and trying different classes with different instructors until you find one that you like.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 01:44 AM   #38
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
I turned 60 last year and fortunate to have good health, all of my hair and only a small amount of grey on my sideburns. I exercise nearly every day by "jogging" on a small trampoline for the equivalent of 3 miles, at least that's according to my Garmin. Also according to my Garmin, my average resting heart rate is 49-51. There are a few aches and pains from time to time but nothing that keeps me from being active.

One of the best things that got back to me was a young guy saying to his friend, "That dudes 60?" Made my year.
BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 01:53 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses! This one

Brothers of a different mothers, you and I. I have found a strong correlation between my A1C and weight. I've also added Jardiance to my Metformin regime, which has helped marginally. Jardiance also tends to help you recognize when you are full, which can help with weight.

I did yoga weekly before the pandemic, and just didn't go back after the lockdowns ended. However, it made a great improvement (which has remained, somewhat) in my balance which is important for us seniors. And it's not so much coordination as it is stretching and balance, with perhaps some mild cardio depending on who is leading the session. And to me, that's the big part. You need a yoga instructor who knows how to adapt their practice to the other yogi there, according to their age, flexibility and abilities. I've done hot yoga (hated it) and some "fast yoga" (my term) which I hated even more. But different strokes for different folks, eh?

I think it's well worth trying. Some full service gyms have yoga classes included, but usually it's just finding a local yoga studio and trying different classes with different instructors until you find one that you like.
Mat Pilates (Pilates on a yoga mat) is much the same types of activity and stretches. They are often offered in gyms as well.

The Pilates with the Reformer Machines are more hardcore but the mat is much like yoga.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #40
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Mat Pilates (Pilates on a yoga mat) is much the same types of activity and stretches. They are often offered in gyms as well.

The Pilates with the Reformer Machines are more hardcore but the mat is much like yoga.
I started Pilates a few weeks ago using a combo of reformer and mat exercises (at home). I went in on the advice of a physical therapist while thinking “this cant be too hard” and quickly found it kicks my butt. I definitely have more core strength and feel an improvement in flexibility as well but my lower back and hip issues still persist.

How long before you started noticing substantial improvements?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:47 AM   #41
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I started Pilates a few weeks ago using a combo of reformer and mat exercises (at home). I went in on the advice of a physical therapist while thinking “this cant be too hard” and quickly found it kicks my butt. I definitely have more core strength and feel an improvement in flexibility as well but my lower back and hip issues still persist.

How long before you started noticing substantial improvements?
I did it for about 5 years, 3 times a week when I was up in Sonoma County before we moved back to LA, so I haven't done it for 3 years. I never really liked the Reformer that much but I had 3 different instructors for the mat classes and each were different and tended to do different things. I think they were also yoga qualified as well.

I was always flexible from doing martial arts for many years. But it works on things that I wasn't really concentrating on.

I had thought that my sciatic issues was actually piriformis for a time and it came and went but now we think it's inflammation in the hip joint caused by tiny (spurs) rubbing on the nerve. You can't drop on your hip and block shots forever apparently. LOL

I'd stick with it if I were you because it's a great exercise and it also works both sides of the body which creates better muscle balance since we all have a dominant left or right side. This dominance tends to throw off our ability to keep a straight spine which I think is the cause of most health issues other than dietary ones.
Old 19 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #42
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Aging. Anyone?

I had heart surgery to repair a defective valve when I was 58. I was born with this condition, but as I got older, it had to be dealt with. My heart is as good as new now.

My biggest problem is a chronic back problem. It could be quite debilitating at times. Otherwise I’m doing pretty good at 61.

I ride my bike for several miles a day almost on a daily basis. I also work out at the gym 3 days a week.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:04 AM   #43
colpol
"TRF" Member

58 this year. So far so good. Both grandfathers dead in early 60s. My dad had heart valve replacement at 49 and cancer at 63 so not sure if getting close to my sell by date

Still working. I do the 8 floor stairs walk at work twice a day/ long walk at lunchtime/ weights in house / still cycle a lot. My partners a good cook so we eat well. Few whiskeys at the weekend & gave up the cigars at 50. Daughter left for uni when I turned 50 and every year since we break up the winter with 2 weeks in lanzarote. Few aches but nothing serious.

Only downside is I’ve only been to the doctors once in about past 30 years. Need to start getting regular checkups
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:47 AM   #44
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I'm 68. It sounds like I am in good company with this thread.

However, I know it can always be worse. I just spent 3 days visiting my 98 year old mother at her assisted living facility. She is doing great compared to a lot of those folks.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 08:27 PM   #45
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
On the upside, when I turn 60 next week I can take any public transport for HK$2 (US$.25c) per trip. The ferry from my island over to town usually costs US$6 each way so that'll probably get me out more. I'll have to leave the missus at home, though, as she's still in her 40s
Old 19 April 2024, 08:46 PM   #46
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
On the upside, when I turn 60 next week I can take any public transport for HK$2 (US$.25c) per trip. The ferry from my island over to town usually costs US$6 each way so that'll probably get me out more. I'll have to leave the missus at home, though, as she's still in her 40s
Adam is a cradle robber.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:22 PM   #47
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
not me. just turned 50. but I was 50 when I was 20. I was born old.

my dad is 79. he was 79 when he was 49. he is relatively young, but has been old his whole life.

I will never live like he does. he is a tough old man and has the will to live. I won't go into detail with what he deals with....but lets just say my mother is the true warrior in the family.

if I make it to 70, it is hard core drugs, women for hire, and anything else I can do to hasten my departure.

my cousins have both had heart attacks. one is a year younger, one is a year older. the older one has had 2. my father had 6.

only difference with me is that I take care of myself. gym since I was a kid. always into physical fitness. always active. I also eat well...mostly.

still, I am like a chemistry experiment with all the drugs I am on to keep myself going. between meds for high blood pressure, gout, allergies, asthma and a pancreas that does not produce the enzyme that digests fat (plus many more) I cannot imagine the amount of pharmaceuticals I will require in 20 years time.

the good news is that I can pass for 40, easily. I have a full head of hair, I am in pretty kick ass shape and my lady friends tend to be at least 10 years younger. so I am enjoying my time.

no complaints at all. simply stating I am not aging. I have always been old.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 12:22 AM   #48
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I'm 64 and can relate to the OP. I've semi-retired and we take care of our granddaughter during the day M-F while the kids work. I call her "Missy." She helps my wife and I stay or perhaps feel younger. Things may hurt but, with Missy around there is always a smile on our face.
Old 20 April 2024, 02:02 AM   #49
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
At 72 I’m just happy I am still around : )

Old 20 April 2024, 02:10 AM   #50
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Aging. Anyone?

I just need to make it to where we have the tech so I can download my conscious into a microchip on a cyberdyne systems T800 and travel the solar system, maybe out and onward to intergalactic travel
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 02:21 AM   #51
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Aging. Beats the alternative.

The upside - I've pretty much run out of "fs" to give. Retired at 61. The pandemic really changed our mindsets.

Used to hit the gym 3x per week, tennis leagues/flights/tournaments etc. Not much of that now.

Our little rescue pup has me walking at least 3 miles per day. Time to start gym shopping.
Wife retired about 10 years ago.

We're traveling a ton. Started a funk/soul jazz band after retiring and it has gone beyond my expectations. I play with a bunch of other bands too so that has been rewarding. So far meds and one surgery have taken care go the things that needed fixing from a health standpoint.

Getting old has some real upsides.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 04:17 AM   #52
ReMember
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I had heart surgery to repair a defective valve when I was 58. I was born with this condition, but as I got older, it had to be dealt with. My heart is as good as new now.

My biggest problem is a chronic back problem. It could be quite debilitating at times. Otherwise I’m doing pretty good at 61.

I ride my bike for several miles a day almost on a daily basis. I also work out at the gym 3 days a week.

Patent Foramen Ovale?
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 04:44 AM   #53
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I'll be 62 this summer, and have been an athlete/athletic all my life. I know all about stiffness and back pain, as I have a herniated disc and a bulging disc. That does not stop me from mountain biking, spinning, walking long distances, etc. I know when to do stretches and when to take an aleve. :)

I am fortunate that I have a high tolerance to pain, so almost nothing will stop my routines.

I don't drink, I watch only a bit what I eat and am in about the best shape of my life.

Knock wood, no exercise induced accidents or injuries in about 10 years. RHR 44-48.
Aside from being athletic, the biggest improvement in all of my day's activites came from sobriety over 7.5 years ago.

For me, a game changer.
Old 20 April 2024, 09:42 AM   #54
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
In my mid sixties. I’ve had a stiff neck for two weeks. An X ray revealed that the spaces between my neck vertebrae has shrunk, thus the stiff neck. Degenerative neck condition. Off to PT.

This year, I was introduced to statins and high blood pressure medication.

Last year, I was diagnosed with type two diabetes. GLP-1 meds has put my A1C and glucose in normal range.

Thank Curie, Pasteur, et.al that we now have medication and procedures to treat problems that routinely killed people in my lifetime. Our parents are 99, 92 and 90, my FIL passed away at 98. I attribute it to statins, blood pressure medication and new technology.

We’ll have the aches and pains longer. I have a Biofreeze patch on my neck as I type.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 05:57 PM   #55
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Fascinating post. A bit of background, my Mum’s side of the family all passed or had severe dementia by mid 70s, but my Mum in her mid-80s is fit as a fiddle, with only the very start of possible dementia. My Dad’s side faired better, his Mum was 107 when she died. As a rugby player in his younger days he’s now crippled with pain everywhere. Both hips replaced and a knee and carpal tunnel and trigger fingers in both hands. But, both come in to our business a few days a week. Neither are on any medication at all.
I’m early 50s and apart from occasional asthma I’m in good shape. I gave up smoking 10 years ago and drink very moderately, a glass of whisky or wine 3 times a week. I walk to and from the train station everyday and now working harder than I have ever had to (that’s a different story). I don’t do any formal exercise but eat well. A few aches and pains but in my head I’m still 25.
My take on this all is moderation with a bit of luck.
Old 20 April 2024, 07:45 PM   #56
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I was forever, it seemed, the youngest bloke in the office, then, bam! I find myself, having retired 15 or so years ago, wondering where the years went.

I'm 75 this year, and, luckily as fit as a fiddle and doing whatever I want, whenever I need to do it. Having a a younger wife, is definitely good for your inner happiness.
Every day's a holiday!

Got to go, gotta get my spuds in, and there's an FA cup semi final on tv later (c'mon you Blues)!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have looked after myself!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 07:58 PM   #57
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
When I was young and in my prime
I used to do it all the time.
Now that I’m old and grey
I only do it once a day !
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:01 PM   #58
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMember View Post
Patent Foramen Ovale?

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:16 PM   #59
Jake Sully
"TRF" Member

Turned 65 this year and can relate to all of the above. Have gone through staying in shape and laying on the couch. Started getting all the aches and pains and my wife started playing Pickleball last year. After a few months of her doing this and meeting people in our community I decided it was time to get off the couch. Still got the aches and pains but my stamina is much better and alot of the pain has diminished. The old adage of use it or lose it comes to mind. Good to stay active.
Jake Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:14 PM   #60
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Aging. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times View Post
I swear by TRT.

Like it’s the fountain of youth.

Hopefully this topic is not against the rules and I’ll just leave it at that.

Couldn’t agree more…

TRT
Healthy and conscious diet - don’t deprive but don’t be stupid.
Regular exercise with both thoughtful cardio and weights - no strain on joints and reasonable weight.