The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2023, 01:49 PM   #31
cydesai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Have you considered the one that Apple sells?

Those guys even know how to make a kickass microfiber cloth. I still have the one I got from my first MacBook 10 years ago, and it still works!
cydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 02:13 PM   #32
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
a t-shirt would destroy PCLs. whether or not you or someone else cares about that is a different story, but a few wipes on PCLs (especially gold) with a t shirt and you'll have tons of swirls and micro scratches that are actually visible. learned that the hard way before
Well t-shirts are basically cellulose fibers (think tree bark) and can include all sorts of minerals and impurities.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 04:22 PM   #33
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZZN View Post
Hi,

Many years ago, when I bought my Cellini, my then-AD threw in a complimentary Cartier jewellery cleaning kit. That included some kind of cleaning spray, a cloth, and a brush. And I've always stuck with those Cartier cleaning kits ever since. They'll work fine for any Rolex (or any watch at all for that matter), whether it's made of gold, steel or platinum, and whether it has a brushed or polished finish.
I have the spray and never used it. I wonder if I can use it now after 22 years.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 05:30 PM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
The whole point of microfiber Peter is that its NOT made from cotton.

Could not care less what its made from in the real world no special cloths are needed for any watch, any clean not abrasive lint free cloth will do its not rocket science.As long as you wash watch first then rinse and pat dry with any clean cloth no swirls, but in general today Rolex watches get such a pampered life they could make them out of glass.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 10:06 PM   #35
E30 Racer
"TRF" Member

I approach this from the perspective of a concours detailer, so I'm admittedly very critical when it comes to things like using t-shirts on mirror polished stainless (don't ever do that...you will almost certainly introduce micro marring). NEVER reuse a microfiber towel that has made contact with anything gritty (don't drop it at the beach), and always wash microfiber with microfiber only...nothing cotton, etc.

When using microfiber on watches, I personally like using something with a bit more nap. Nothing crazy, but certainly more than a thin polyester eyeglass cleaning cloth. I also like using spray detailer, as it has more lubrication than water alone.

Assuming the watch is basically clean with no more than finger smudges or light dust, my approach involves:

1. Spray the microfiber first until basically a 2-in section is wet
2. Blot the watch with the wet microfiber. Do not spray the watch or bracelet directly.
3. Very lightly wipe in straight lines using almost no to very little pressure. Do not use circles. Do not let the spray detailer dry before buffing off.
4. Using a different section of the microfiber, buff dry in straight lines. I tend to only use one direction. Back and forth is fine too but may release more microfiber lint which can be a pain to remove completely. Only use enough pressure to remove all spray detailer residue and bring out the shine, which will be amazing.
5. I detail the case/bezel/crystal first, then the bracelet if equipped.

I know all of this probably sounds insane for many (most?) of you all, but hopefully it helps those interested in such things. :-)

BTW: I'm currently using Rag Company Edgeless Eagle 350 microfiber and CarPro Elixer spray detailer.
E30 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 11:15 PM   #36
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Could not care less what its made from in the real world no special cloths are needed for any watch, any clean not abrasive lint free cloth will do its not rocket science.As long as you wash watch first then rinse and pat dry with any clean cloth no swirls, but in general today Rolex watches get such a pampered life they could make them out of glass.

I know you couldn’t Peter, but please accept that many do care.

Cleaning an all stainless watch is one thing, but using your method on gold, for example, is going to introduce a lot of micro marring over time.

This is no different to those who chose to take their car to the local car wash vs those who wash at home with fairy liquid and an old sponge to those who employ the two bucket (with grit guard) and use a lambswool or microfiber mitt

The former will have a car that looks like it’s been dragged through multiple hedges by the time it’s six months old. The mid point won’t be that far behind with dulling paint, but the latter will have significant better and importantly more reflective paintwork after many years.

Horses for courses. Personally I’m in favour of having swirl free, reflective paint on my cars.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 11:28 PM   #37
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
I approach this from the perspective of a concours detailer, so I'm admittedly very critical when it comes to things like using t-shirts on mirror polished stainless (don't ever do that...you will almost certainly introduce micro marring). NEVER reuse a microfiber towel that has made contact with anything gritty (don't drop it at the beach), and always wash microfiber with microfiber only...nothing cotton, etc.

When using microfiber on watches, I personally like using something with a bit more nap. Nothing crazy, but certainly more than a thin polyester eyeglass cleaning cloth. I also like using spray detailer, as it has more lubrication than water alone.

Assuming the watch is basically clean with no more than finger smudges or light dust, my approach involves:

2. Blot the watch with the wet microfiber. Do not spray the watch or bracelet directly.
3. Very lightly wipe in straight lines using almost no to very little pressure. Do not use circles. Do not let the spray detailer dry before buffing off.
4. Using a different section of the microfiber, buff dry in straight lines. I tend to only use one direction. Back and forth is fine too but may release more microfiber lint which can be a pain to remove completely. Only use enough pressure to remove all spray detailer residue and bring out the shine, which will be amazing.

I know all of this probably sounds insane for many (most?) of you all, but hopefully it helps those interested in such things. :-)

BTW: I'm currently using Rag Company Edgeless Eagle 350 microfiber and CarPro Elixer spray detailer.
Another car detail guy. I agree, the Rag Company is where I Get my microfiber. Any good detail spray will work nicely as well, I tend to be an Adams/Meguiars/Griots kind of guy.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 12:19 AM   #38
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
I use the same piece of cloth that I use for my glasses...
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 12:30 AM   #39
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh167 View Post
looks great but 66 $ shipping is just a bit steep for me
You chirp that you want to keep your watch as "clean" as possible for as long as possible, yet your not willing to pay the price for the exact thing your looking to get and inquired about. Then you chirp back that a cotton cloth or tshirt is just as good but you scoff at that idea?
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 12:54 AM   #40
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
To the OP. Any good microfiber will do. The key is to rinse it good before taking anything to it. Then, I pat dry, not wipe.

I’m with you car guys too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0144.jpeg (74.0 KB, 271 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 01:01 AM   #41
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM View Post
To the OP. Any good microfiber will do. The key is to rinse it good before taking anything to it. Then, I pat dry, not wipe.

I’m with you car guys too.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 07:57 AM   #42
the_uptowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: ticks tick tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I use the same piece of cloth that I use for my glasses...

yes this is the right approach.

as i wrote above - same microfib. cloth like for glasses or camera lenses is ideal. but it must be white because colored cloth especially black might give off color if used with soaps of any kind. i love zeiss micrfb clothes most. they are huge and fit any purpose well.

♛ 126610LN / ⛉ still searching
the_uptowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 08:58 AM   #43
RemoteFisherman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice! Sonax for me!
RemoteFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 09:03 AM   #44
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you could just admit that you're wrong...it's a fact that t shirts will destroy gold and PCLs and that micro fiber cloths aren't cotton. even if it doesn't apply to your watches or if you don't care, your advice is something that can ruin watches for the people that do care but i guess it's easier to fall back on your usual response and shame everyone else though
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 10:43 AM   #45
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post
OP! Please trust me on this one.. DO NOT listen to the t-shirt suggestions, those suggestions are fine for submariners, explorer II’s, etc.. that is NOT going to be ok for PCL, precious metals, fluted bezels etc…

Trust me, do not go with anything other than this - and its in your price point
https://perpetualdetail.com/products/watchcloth

Have you tried both the detailer and the cleanser?

I use Wristclean by Veraet and only air dry my PM pieces by placing the watch ontop of my air purifier that blows air upwards. Works well and no chance of leaving swirls.
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 04:31 PM   #46
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I use the cloths that come with ray bans on mine. Use t shirt occasionally for smudges/fingerprints.

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 June 2023, 05:20 PM   #47
harvey
"TRF" Member

Nearly 50 posts about a cleaning cloth?! LOL
Old 23 June 2023, 05:49 PM   #48
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
you could just admit that you're wrong...it's a fact that t shirts will destroy gold and PCLs and that micro fiber cloths aren't cotton. even if it doesn't apply to your watches or if you don't care, your advice is something that can ruin watches for the people that do care but i guess it's easier to fall back on your usual response and shame everyone else though
Well my wedding ring been on my finger for almost 60 years been in sand, under the sea, digging garden, plus a few un mentionable things and places. Yet its still not been destroyed even when rubbing on my T-shirt towels or any cloth. And my grandfathers watch chain has been around my neck for well over 60 years rubbing on all the clothes I have been wearing still looks the same today And as long as you wash any watch no matter the material and pat dry after no swirls .And with any gold watch the only polishing they need is at normal routine RSC only..But the sure way to ruin any Rolex watch is wanting to polish rub it it every time you wear it no matter the cloth used. Been wearing Rolex watches for well over 50 years and in all those years used any clean bit of cloth to clean and to pat dry after washing it.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 June 2023, 07:29 PM   #49
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I agree with you Peter..

What is the point in using special sprays and ultra soft micro fibre towels when most watches are worn under shirt cuffs, jumpers and jackets etc.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 07:37 PM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I agree with you Peter..

What is the point in using special sprays and ultra soft micro fibre towels when most watches are worn under shirt cuffs, jumpers and jackets etc.
Have to agree Eddie but today some Rolex watch owners must have special cloths, even watch stands, special resting cloths and these Phoo Phoo sprays. I sometimes wonder why Rolex has made one of the toughest mechanical watches made by man. Perhaps they should make shirts, jumpers, jackets out of special Rolex certified safe wearing ultra soft micro fibre cloth so to protect the delicate metal on the watches.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 June 2023, 08:59 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Any clean cotton type cloth will do even a old clean cotton T-shirt.
PADI, i very much admire your aspect. For cleaning, some of us shower with our timepiece and use Neutrogena Rainbath. Then towel dry (which is cotton so you're right PADI).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 09:10 PM   #52
Leicaman
"TRF" Member

I’m with PADI on this. I actually use whatever clothes I’m wearing to wipe any gunk off my watch. Still looks fine to me.
Leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 09:46 PM   #53
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC
'Never cleaned a watch of mine except for bracelets in the sonic cleaner. Of course there is that quick incidental wash during my shower and wipe with the towel when I dry.

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 10:31 PM   #54
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

The cleaning OCD is strong in this thread. Ruined watches from micro swirls in PCL’s and polished surfaces make me grasp my pearls. Don’t do it!!!! :)
S’portEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 10:43 PM   #55
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Cotton fabrics will ruin a Rolex? My, how the mighty have fallen.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 11:12 PM   #56
E30 Racer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Cotton fabrics will ruin a Rolex? My, how the mighty have fallen.
I don’t think the “crazy” ones (myself included) are saying swirls ruin the watch, just that improper cleaning can introduce unnecessary and preventable imperfections. For some people this is a big deal and will do whatever possible to prevent/mitigate it. Others simply do not care, and the idea of preserving a watch in as-new condition for as long as possible may seem like an utter waste of time. It’s all about perspective and neither is wrong…everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The point of my earlier post was simply to help those that may be looking for it.
Old 23 June 2023, 11:27 PM   #57
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh167 View Post
I prefer something that was designed for that.
Cotton T-shirts are fine. Just as good as Microfiber. Just don't use a polyester shirt or a cotton blend with polyester. They're like sandpaper, which is why I can't wear them.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 11:33 PM   #58
E30 Racer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Cotton T-shirts are fine. Just as good as Microfiber. Just don't use a polyester shirt or a cotton blend with polyester.
It all depends on your perspective. If preventing swirls on polished surfaces is important, your recommendation is simply not true…they will start showing up at some point.
Old 23 June 2023, 11:36 PM   #59
DaytonaAllDay
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Daytonas
Quote:
Have to agree Eddie but today some Rolex watch owners must have special cloths, even watch stands, special resting cloths and these Phoo Phoo sprays. I sometimes wonder why Rolex has made one of the toughest mechanical watches made by man. Perhaps they should make shirts, jumpers, jackets out of special Rolex certified safe wearing ultra soft micro fibre cloth so to protect the delicate metal on the watches.
I agree with you on the sprays, that's just nonsense. But using a cotton cloth or cotton t-shirt on steel PCL, gold, or polished platinum surfaces is just wrong. It's not the cotton that is the problem necessarily but the dust and crystalline materials trapped inside the cotton that will absolutely scratch these surfaces. Now, if you don't care about these microscratches (like Padi), that's absolutely fine. But if you do think that these scratches are unnecessary to be introduced to your timepiece (my opinion), you just use a good quality synthetic microfiber cloth, that simple.
DaytonaAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 11:37 PM   #60
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
It all depends on your perspective. If preventing swirls on polished surfaces is important, your recommendation is simply not true…they will start showing up at some point.
Perspective is the wrong word. I've been using cotton t-shirts for watches and my eyeglasses. NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. NO GRINDING. NO SWIRLMARKS.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote