The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2020, 03:57 AM   #1
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Tudor BB GMT No show No go

Hi TRF,

Like so many WIS I wanted the new Tudor GMT when it was announced and was lucky to receive one in early June 2018 from my local AD.

As is usual with me, I left it in the box unused for a few months (TBH about 6 months) and about Late 2018 the reports started to circulate about the date issue problem. Well that has meant I have totally lost interest in the watch and it remains virtually unworn in my safe at home, its not the only unloved watch I own. Its not for sale, so please NO PM's

I have no wish to sell it and no desire to wear it, I could give it to someone as a gift but the thought of the initial gratitude of receiving the watch being replaced by disappointment when the inevitable date wheel sticks has put me off from doing that.

I really like Tudor and own 3 or 4 others but the GMT has really dented my confidence in buying the brand again, so much so that I'm in the process of negotiating a cash deal and going back to Omega and trying the Seamaster Planet Ocean again.
I sort of regret the part ex'ing my old PO a few years back and would like the new Ceramic Bezel version this time.

So do you think I should stick with Tudor or go back to Omega ?

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:10 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
Hi TRF,

Only you can answer that question. Me personally never had an issue with any of my Tudor’s and will never sell them.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:12 AM   #3
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Only you can answer that question. Me personally never had an issue with any of my Tudor’s and will never sell them.
Hi Nick,

Do you have the GMT, has it had the date wheel issue yet?

Does it not effect your confidence in the Brand ?

Regards
Old 1 May 2020, 04:15 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
You said you "have no wish to sell it" so I would suggest sticking with it. If the date wheel issue occurs, get it fixed. If you truly have no desire to wear it go ahead and sell it.

I'm disappointed that it happened with mine, but I still wear the watch and later this summer I'll get it fixed. I don't see this as a reason not to wear it. Even when it does happen you can just flip it to the correct date anyway which only takes a second.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:15 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
That's a shame cause mine is from 2018 and has run flawlessly. Your's might as well. Hell for all we know this issue might only describe 20% of the BB GMTs out there. Anecdotally that doesn't seem to be the case but you could have been enjoying it al this time, like me.

Just a thought.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:21 AM   #6
winst
"TRF" Member

Sounds a bit bonkers what you’ve done - wear it and find out if you have the date issue. You have just over a month of its warranty left where it would be fixed free of charge. Not everyone has had the problem - wear it and enjoy it!
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:25 AM   #7
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Its a shame, maybe I can rekindle the relationship,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT.jpg (185.1 KB, 561 views)
Old 1 May 2020, 04:26 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
It's turning me on and I already own one!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:28 AM   #9
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:

I really like Tudor and own 3 or 4 others but the GMT has really dented my confidence in buying the brand again, so much so that I'm in the process of negotiating a cash deal and going back to Omega and trying the Seamaster Planet Ocean again.
I sort of regret the part ex'ing my old PO a few years back and would like the new Ceramic Bezel version this time.

If one reference is having date issues (and that is likely a small subset of total BB GMTs, though I agree I'd be annoyed if it happened to me), why would that turn you off to the entire brand? Just yesterday I was reading about problems with the movement in the SD that required servicing. That didn't make me rethink my Sub. Why would this affect other references that you really like and have served you well?

As to the Omega, I'm looking to add a PO myself. Really love the look and specs on that one. But I'm not sure why you're framing it as an either/or choice, as though acquiring a PO includes abandoning Tudor.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:28 AM   #10
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
It's turning me on and I already own one!
dP
Haha .............

Its like a Ginger haired girl at the school prom,
Old 1 May 2020, 04:32 AM   #11
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
If one reference is having date issues (and that is likely a small subset of total BB GMTs, though I agree I'd be annoyed if it happened to me), why would that turn you off to the entire brand? Just yesterday I was reading about problems with the movement in the SD that required servicing. That didn't make me rethink my Sub. Why would this affect other references that you really like and have served you well?

As to the Omega, I'm looking to add an PO myself. Really love the look and specs on that one. But I'm not sure why you're framing it as an either/or choice, as though acquiring a PO includes abandoning Tudor.
I think whats putting me off is the notion that in effect a brand new unworn watch has to go in for service or calibre change.

I ve read and seen the damage done when the watches are returned from RSC's after this process. Some are returned in shocking condition with damage caused by the RSC.
Old 1 May 2020, 04:34 AM   #12
s46
"TRF" Member

why wouldnt you wear it
if its flawed you can deal with it then
there is a good chance there will be nothing wrong with it
s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:40 AM   #13
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

What? You bought it in 2018 and haven’t wore it to see if there’s a date issue? It’s going to cost you more to sell it if there’s a problem.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:43 AM   #14
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Omega FTW
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:48 AM   #15
Mick006
"TRF" Member

This is silly. It’s not like every single one, or even the majority have issues. The vast majority don’t have the issue. Wear and enjoy your watch. If it happens send it in.

Mine has been getting a ton of quarantine time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2020, 04:48 AM   #16
winst
"TRF" Member

It’s a shame you didn’t buy it 1 month later in July - it would have had the warranty extension for another 18 months. They are lovely looking watches though - let’s see it on your wrist!
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:51 AM   #17
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I've had two. Sold the first one after about 4 months, no issues. Missed it soon after. Big mistake.

Tried getting one again and took me a year to replace it through my AD...he has a waitlist for this one.

I wear it almost all the time. Hasn't wound down since I got it in November. Runs flawless. My go to, and I don't baby it. Bullet proof. Has the scars to prove it.

If the issue shows up, I'll get it fixed. In the meantime, I have been and will continue to wear the shit out of it.
Old 1 May 2020, 04:51 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Are you going to wear the Omega? Sounds like you are not really interested in watches at all.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:03 AM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
What’s the purpose of letting a watch sit for 6 months? Listen, if I get a watch and don’t want it on my wrist for 6 months, it’s a no go. The reality is it’s not the date wheel issue as your watch may not have that issue. You bought a watch your luke warm about maybe due to hype or something else. Give it away or sell it. In the future, if you don’t have an urge to put the watch on and actually wear it, it’s not for you.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:15 AM   #20
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I bought my Tudor GMT is Jan. 2018 also. It had the date issue in the first month and was fixed. The watch has been flawless since. It is one of my favorites. I wear it more than my BLRO.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:19 AM   #21
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I think you’re overthinking it. Wear it, you obviously like the watch if it happens fix it. It’s a slight inconvenience nothing more. It’s not 100 per cent of them that have the issue.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:20 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
What? You bought it in 2018 and haven’t wore it to see if there’s a date issue? It’s going to cost you more to sell it if there’s a problem.
I didn't consider this part of it. If I were you I would start wearing this thing 24/7 right now. That way if you do experience the issue soon it will still be under warranty.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:38 AM   #23
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

Im not sure how the OP handles other things like cars, tvs, home refrigerators etc. They are mechanical things, in a small percentage, shit happens, it has a warranty, get it fixed, enjoy life because we are only immortal for a limited time.
Mr. Drunmond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:54 AM   #24
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Hi TRF,

Like so many WIS I wanted the new Tudor GMT when it was announced and was lucky to receive one in early June 2018 from my local AD.

As is usual with me, I left it in the box unused for a few months (TBH about 6 months) and about Late 2018 the reports started to circulate about the date issue problem. Well that has meant I have totally lost interest in the watch and it remains virtually unworn in my safe at home, its not the only unloved watch I own. Its not for sale, so please NO PM's

I have no wish to sell it and no desire to wear it, I could give it to someone as a gift but the thought of the initial gratitude of receiving the watch being replaced by disappointment when the inevitable date wheel sticks has put me off from doing that.

With anything you buy in general, mechanical in particular, the chance to have glitches, issues to surge at some point is always possible.
The GMT from Tudor have a date issue, fixable by Tudor for those who won’t live with it or simply by resetting it and continue wearing it by those who just don’t care.
Rolex’s newest 3235 movement is having a worse issue, that of time keeping, it’s affecting not one model but almost all Rolex models using the new movement.
My knowledge of omega is limited, If you seek a flawless product and are sure Omega is that product then get an Omega.

Old 3 May 2020, 04:04 AM   #25
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
With anything you buy in general, mechanical in particular, the chance to have glitches, issues to surge at some point is always possible.
The GMT from Tudor have a date issue, fixable by Tudor for those who won’t live with it or simply by resetting it and continue wearing it by those who just don’t care.
Rolex’s newest 3235 movement is having a worse issue, that of time keeping, it’s affecting not one model but almost all Rolex models using the new movement.
My knowledge of omega is limited, If you seek a flawless product and are sure Omega is that product then get an Omega.
Agreed. If I wanted perfection, would I acquire any mechanical watch?
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:06 AM   #26
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
Agreed. If I wanted perfection, would I acquire any mechanical watch?

We better get an Apple Watch that never loses a beat :-)

Old 3 May 2020, 05:53 AM   #27
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

I would never buy an Apple watch because they are horrible black soul less monolith's, not even made in the USA.

I have 2 Grand Seiko sexy robots and they are time keeping perfection, Yes quartz but something truly special.
I love mechanical watches but have issues with Tudor bringing an imperfect product to market and letting the loyal customer base down.

I've had no product recall !

Tudor your letting yourself and customers down.
Old 3 May 2020, 06:46 AM   #28
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
I think whats putting me off is the notion that in effect a brand new unworn watch has to go in for service or calibre change.

I ve read and seen the damage done when the watches are returned from RSC's after this process. Some are returned in shocking condition with damage caused by the RSC.

I can attest to this. Not a Tudor but Ive sent a GMT in before that was absolutely massacred by RSC. I’m told that after watchmakers there work on them they then wear them to insure the fix worked.....ok well Bobby beat the sh1t out of my GMT when I sent it in. It came back covered in dents, scratches, etc. I’ll never send anything to RSC ever again.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 06:58 AM   #29
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
I would never buy an Apple watch because they are horrible black soul less monolith's, not even made in the USA.

I have 2 Grand Seiko sexy robots and they are time keeping perfection, Yes quartz but something truly special.
I love mechanical watches but have issues with Tudor bringing an imperfect product to market and letting the loyal customer base down.

I've had no product recall !

Tudor your letting yourself and customers down.
Why would you get a recall. The problem is not all watches but some (obvs % we do not know). The route is clear. Wear the watch. If issue arises, it will be fixed. I had one and that was fixed by Rolex In 10 days. It hasn’t dented my faith (I am sat here with a bb58 on typing). It happens.

You should wear it, see if it occurs and either get it fixed or flog it if it’s not for you I suspect.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 09:04 AM   #30
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
You can gladly gift it to me, and it will get lots of wrist time haha!