The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2020, 02:40 AM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Bundling in the UK

So while I’ve seen this a lot happening on this forum in the USA I am wondering if anybody here from the UK has done this? I’m currently looking to spend about 30k on watch (I won’t say what as I don’t want it to turn into a what would you rather post).

I’ve vaguely asked two AD’s about it one which I have a purchase history with no luck.

Anybody done this over here?
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:43 AM   #2
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
I'm unsure what your question is? Are you saying that you're looking to buy a gold Rolex and also then be able to purchase a Stainless steel professional series one?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:44 AM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theCAPE View Post
I'm unsure what your question is? Are you saying that you're looking to buy a gold Rolex and also then be able to purchase a Stainless steel professional series one?

Yes sorry I should of made that clearer.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:47 AM   #4
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I would recommend being more direct with your ORJ if that is the route you wish to take.

However, that being said, I'm not really sure there is too much value in bundling even if you are getting watches at retail.

Sure you save $X grand buying something at Retail, but you will lose $y grand buying the other watch at retail also (assuming, as is often the case, the ORJ makes you buy something not in demand).
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:49 AM   #5
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Are you looking to spend 30K on one watch, or is that the budget for a bundle? The bundling deals the AD’s here are most interested in are you buying something they have a hard time selling, and something you probably don’t want, or something really expensive, to get the watch you do.

I had an AD tell me he’d get me a Ceramic Daytona almost immediately if I bought the $15K DJ I was looking at for my wife. Otherwise the Daytona was not available anywhere and he had no idea when it ever would be. Let’s just say my wife doesn’t have that DJ and I don’t have a Daytona. And I’ve never returned.

Edit: Meant to add you’re better of financially paying a premium on the gray market than buying in a similar situation as the one I described.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:51 AM   #6
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
I would recommend being more direct with your ORJ if that is the route you wish to take.

However, that being said, I'm not really sure there is too much value in bundling even if you are getting watches at retail.

Sure you save $X grand buying something at Retail, but you will lose $y grand buying the other watch at retail also (assuming, as is often the case, the ORJ makes you buy something not in demand).
Because I’m going to be spending that amount on a gold watch regardless, I thought I may aswell try my luck at acquiring a more difficult to get watch at the same time, it’s not about saving money.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:51 AM   #7
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
I would definitely say it's a pretty common practice at least it was before the Covid crisis. It was in my opinion one of the only ways to get a professional series S.S. professional. I'm not familiar with any dealers in the UK, I've never been but when I've I've been to airports in Spain and France where the have ADs in the airport I have been offered such a bundle that you're referring to. I would call around to a couple of different ones in your area. Say that you're looking to add two specific watches to your collection.

N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:52 AM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Are you looking to spend 30K on one watch, or is that the budget for a bundle? The bundling deals the AD’s here are most interested in are you buying something they have a hard time selling, and something you probably don’t want, or something really expensive, to get the watch you do.

I had an AD tell me he’d get me a Ceramic Daytona almost immediately if I bought the $15K DJ I was looking at for my wife. Otherwise the Daytona was not available anywhere and he had no idea when it ever would be. Let’s just say my wife doesn’t have that DJ and I don’t have a Daytona. And I’ve never returned.

Edit: Meant to add you’re better of financially paying a premium on the gray market than buying in a similar situation as the one I described.
Yeah the 30k is on one watch then I have some other disposable funds I could use to buy another watch. Really just 15k wow. I fear it’s slightly more difficult here in England.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:57 AM   #9
joshua.pearl3
"TRF" Member

The issue is they wouldn't give you a discount on the gold watch..
joshua.pearl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 03:00 AM   #10
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I feel like now is the worst time. Because of COVID lockdowns they aren't getting any new watches and even if they have less people buying, they still have no issues getting rid of stock. After the lockdown is lifted it'll be a better time to try. As they'll get new watches but no buyers.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 03:03 AM   #11
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Yeah the 30k is on one watch then I have some other disposable funds I could use to buy another watch. Really just 15k wow. I fear it’s slightly more difficult here in England.
It’s probably more difficult in the US now too, this was shortly after the Ceramic Daytona was announced at Basel and started appearing in AD’s for the first time. I should have been more clear on the timing.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 03:10 AM   #12
emtee
"TRF" Member

Guess it depends how popular the 30K watch is - if it’s the YG green dial Daytona guess they don’t have much incentive but if it’s a YG Daydate then much more likely.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 03:58 AM   #13
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Guess it depends how popular the 30K watch is - if it’s the YG green dial Daytona guess they don’t have much incentive but if it’s a YG Daydate then much more likely.
I’m deciding between a day date and gold sub blue dial. Both watches that regularly sit in windows, over here at least.
Old 3 May 2020, 04:02 AM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I’m deciding between a day date and gold sub blue dial. Both watches that regularly sit in windows, over here at least.
You could try, but if you’re hoping to get a Pepsi or a Daytona for buying one of them, I’d say it’s doubtful
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 04:33 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You've got more chance than two months ago so I'd keep trying and be patient, you have some leverage, at least for most SS.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 04:39 AM   #16
Bluesy
"TRF" Member

Yes if you play your cards right you will be able to buy a blue gold sub and a Pepsi or Batman. At least in southern Europe bundling is very common.
Bluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 04:48 AM   #17
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
A few months back the Gold Sub was on a 12 month waiting list
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:03 AM   #18
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So while I’ve seen this a lot happening on this forum in the USA I am wondering if anybody here from the UK has done this? I’m currently looking to spend about 30k on watch (I won’t say what as I don’t want it to turn into a what would you rather post).

I’ve vaguely asked two AD’s about it one which I have a purchase history with no luck.

Just go grey I know a wicked grey dealer
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:12 AM   #19
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Just go grey I know a wicked grey dealer
Ive bought 90 per cent of my watches grey. If you know a Competitive dealer in the UK feel free to send me some details thanks.

For this particular watch though I want to buy brand new.
Old 3 May 2020, 06:05 AM   #20
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I have bought three watches in the UK - Sub, GMT BLNR, and Sky Dweller SS WD. Wait total across the three is about 18 months. 8 months sub, 1 week GMT and 10 month SkyD.

No TT or gold pieces bought.
Matt_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 06:25 AM   #21
fett1972
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In December 18 I purchased a WG Daytona (519) and 2 weeks later was allowed to purchase a SS White Daytona via Goldsmiths
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 07:22 AM   #22
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Used to!

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote