The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2024, 10:59 AM   #1
BassCatBrad
"TRF" Member

Rookie wanting some advice

Hi all, thanks for letting me join. My wife’s birthday is fast approaching and I’m thinking about buying her a gently used Rolex. She has always wanted. I have scoured the Internet and found two that I think she may like. She is definitely a yellow gold wearer, so I am leaning towards one of them lol. I was just wanting to get some feedback on these two models and the years they were made. They are priced with $200 of each other.

Watch 1 is a 1988 26mm Datejust #69173. Stainless steel and 18k Jubilee bracelet. It has a blue Arabic dial. NOTE my wife’s favorite color is blue and she likes wearing yellow gold. The yellow gold shows a little wear around the 4 O’clock and 6 o’clock areas on the bezel. The jubilee band is sagging a little which I know is quite normal. The watch includes the box and papers.

Watch 2 is a 2002 Stainless steel 26MM Date #70190. It has an oyster bracelet, black dial, and engine tune bezel. The watch looks practically new and includes the box and papers.

Again.. Just want some feedback or advice on those models and those years of production please. Does one hold any special value or is one harder to come by than the other? Thanks in advance.
BassCatBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:10 AM   #2
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Of those two I’d get the one in the best condition but if she really loves yellow gold I’d keep looking. Be sure and look at the trusted sellers at the bottom of this page.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:11 AM   #3
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Welcome to TRF.

I can’t help you with those two particular watches but might I suggest not buying her a used watch. There should be no issues finding her a new watch in that size.

Buy new and let her start making her own memories with her new watch..

Good luck
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:23 AM   #4
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Of the two I strongly recomment getting a watch with a fluted bezel. The fluted bezel is classic Rolex and have the flash that I think provide a feminine touch. Personal preference as well. I also agree with RichM - consider buying a new one.

Good luck!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:31 AM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum.

What is your timeline and what is your budget? My initial reaction is keep looking.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:45 AM   #6
BassCatBrad
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice. Timeline is tight, but I don’t mind being a little late for her birthday lol cause I know she’ll really like the watch. Both watches are for sale at Bob’s watches. I’ve talked to them on the phone, they sent me extra pics and they have been fantastic to deal with. I will search their site a little more this evening. They have a great selection.
BassCatBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:53 AM   #7
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

I too recommend going to you near Rolex dealer and seeing what they have. I wouldn’t love a preowned watch unless it was an Uber rare piece. Best to you!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 12:36 PM   #8
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

I agree with the others. A 20 plus year old watch is rarely “gently used”. A brand new 26 mm Datejust is not difficult to source. If she likes yellow gold, consider a two tone. Also, a fluted bezel on Jubilee is the preferred configuration, by most women. Quintessential Rolex!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 03:02 PM   #9
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I know it’s a personal choice but has your wife tried on the 26mm one?
I bought my wife one years ago she wore it and then decided it was just too small, it now lives in a drawer and she wears an omega planet ocean currently

Some photos of prospective purchases might help because it might be highly unlikely something will be lightly used or original
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 05:09 PM   #10
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Welcome .. my advice would be for her to try on as many as possible, watches are so personal, differing metals and dials colours/variations it’s a big thing buying a watch for someone else .. good luck ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 06:43 PM   #11
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN/126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
Hi all, thanks for letting me join. My wife’s birthday is fast approaching and I’m thinking about buying her a gently used Rolex. She has always wanted. I have scoured the Internet and found two that I think she may like. She is definitely a yellow gold wearer, so I am leaning towards one of them lol. I was just wanting to get some feedback on these two models and the years they were made. They are priced with $200 of each other.

Watch 1 is a 1988 26mm Datejust #69173. Stainless steel and 18k Jubilee bracelet. It has a blue Arabic dial. NOTE my wife’s favorite color is blue and she likes wearing yellow gold. The yellow gold shows a little wear around the 4 O’clock and 6 o’clock areas on the bezel. The jubilee band is sagging a little which I know is quite normal. The watch includes the box and papers.

Watch 2 is a 2002 Stainless steel 26MM Date #70190. It has an oyster bracelet, black dial, and engine tune bezel. The watch looks practically new and includes the box and papers.

Again.. Just want some feedback or advice on those models and those years of production please. Does one hold any special value or is one harder to come by than the other? Thanks in advance.
Two tone fluted bezel. Try not to go used. If you must go used stay within the last 5 years. The movements have changed so much that you would want something more modern and durable.

Buy her a gift she can pass down :)
deeman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:04 PM   #12
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Agree with modern watch, 5 years old.

A two tone or solid gold. Two tone flutted bezel white dial probably best IMHO

I would by only from DavidSW, The Keystone, Takuya. there are others trusted by the Forum members.

All depends on your budget. Also size, 26mm will be fine if she is petite to medium height.
My cousin who is small has all gold and two tone in 26mm and works well for her , but she has a celebration dial 31mm, looks good too.

The current DJ’s are 31mm. If new a white dial, roman numerals , fluted bezel , two tone yellow gold steel with jubilee most elegant if she likes yellow gold. The are going to be about 11$k new.

You should be able to find an AD to source one, as not so hard on size/model, or find one through a reputable dealer. No expertise with Bob’s watches.

Older models pre owned will range 5-7$k probably.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:16 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

My advice is to let her choose her own Rolex

Take her to an AD or a trusted gray dealer if you have one on your area, and let her try a variety of models. You might be surprised what she decides on.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 07:48 PM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The question is which one would she prefer?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 09:45 PM   #15
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I’m sure there’s probably some good ones local as well.

I second the take her to let her choose. Either at an AD or larger 2nd hand retailer.

Side note. I bought 2 watches from Bobs. You’ve gotten way farther than I ever did. I never could get any extra picture or info either time. Bothe were listed as excellent condition, but were less than excellent for sure.
Old 2 May 2024, 10:57 PM   #16
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM View Post
Welcome to TRF.

I can’t help you with those two particular watches but might I suggest not buying her a used watch. There should be no issues finding her a new watch in that size.

Buy new and let her start making her own memories with her new watch..

Good luck
One thing I forgot to add. If the history of those watches is unknown, then you better figure in the price of a full service.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:39 AM   #17
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
I know it’s a personal choice but has your wife tried on the 26mm one?
I bought my wife one years ago she wore it and then decided it was just too small, it now lives in a drawer and she wears an omega planet ocean currently

Some photos of prospective purchases might help because it might be highly unlikely something will be lightly used or original
Agree! that's tiny. My wife went with a 36 Oyster, smooth DJ. Looks awesome . She has a small wrist too . We walked out with it while I was looking at a SD43. They are out there!
Old 3 May 2024, 02:47 AM   #18
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdock View Post
Agree! that's tiny. My wife went with a 36 Oyster, smooth DJ. Looks awesome . She has a small wrist too . We walked out with it while I was looking at a SD43. They are out there!
I like the 31 also. Just me but a 26 looks like old days, older woman. Also isn't the second watch stainless Steel? You said she likes gold. I would go two-tone . pick your bezel. My wife thought the smooth in 36 looked more "now" ( I just made that up because I can't recall the phrase she used. Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2024, 07:10 AM   #19
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP -

Sir, you would be best advised to only consider a Brand New Stainless Steel ladies Rolex for your wife. For obvious reasons, way too much can go wrong as a first time buyer…. Think of this situation as purchasing a 20-30 year old 3 series BMW - could it work out?
Maybe.
But usually not!
Think lots of $$$ on repairs.
If you buy it wrong- you buy it twice!
Good Luck and let us know what direction you went in.
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 08:00 AM   #20
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
Thanks for the advice. Timeline is tight, but I don’t mind being a little late for her birthday lol cause I know she’ll really like the watch. Both watches are for sale at Bob’s watches. I’ve talked to them on the phone, they sent me extra pics and they have been fantastic to deal with. I will search their site a little more this evening. They have a great selection.

Bob’s doesn’t have the best reputation. You may want to look elsewhere. Also, unless she requested a tiny watch, go bigger. I have 36 mm DJs, and love them! Here is my latest:

This is a 36.. I would get her a 31, at the very least. They no longer make 26. That’s an old lady size. The Lady Datejust only comes in 28 mm. Many ladies wear a 31, or 36 mm.
A SS 31 mm DJ with white gold fluted bezel is $8,400, brand new, at an AD. It should not be that hard to get. You may be able to order it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote