The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 August 2023, 12:28 PM   #1
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Icon7 The Lange Odysseus WG - Your view?

Hi all, I am a big fan of Lange and have already had a Lange 1, loving every bit of it!

The Odysseus WG is absolutely an amazing piece and this should be the second Lange I would go for as I want to go for a sporty watch. However, giving the substantial price increase this year (i.e., +17.7%, or MSRP now is about 55k USD), do you think it is still worth to take one, assuming I am fortunate enough to be allocated one by the end of this year?

Thanks all for the view! Have a nice day and a nice weekend!
lkluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 01:02 PM   #2
break
"TRF" Member

It’s hard to say. Lange seem to have aligned the watch’s MSRP with aftermarket prices now, as you can find a WG Odysseus on C24 for mid $50k’s.

I don’t know what the allocation story looks like nowadays at Lange, but in your shoes I’d save that “gift” allocation goodwill for next year’s novelties or another grail piece, and instead look for a WG aftermarket.

(Also, pls DM me if you’d consider an aftermarket purchase.)
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 02:33 PM   #3
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet
I am also a fan of Lange. At that price point for a sports watch, there are too many other options. I would pass but that's just my personal opinion.
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 02:44 PM   #4
magicman
"TRF" Member

Do you think it would bother you that it was on a strap with no bracelet option? I feel like a lot of competitors in this bracket offer both options, but I believe the WG Odysseus is only on a strap.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 06:54 PM   #5
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
Do you think it would bother you that it was on a strap with no bracelet option? I feel like a lot of competitors in this bracket offer both options, but I believe the WG Odysseus is only on a strap.
Yep this is correct: rubber or leather. No bracelet.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 07:55 PM   #6
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually I am quite happy with the rubber strap of the WG version.
Old 5 August 2023, 04:08 AM   #7
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
If you never want a bracelet, go for it. It's a fantastic piece. You could save some cash going grey or buy direct to improve your relationship for novelties down the road. I can't stand integrated rubber straps, or justify the market price of the SS, so no Odysseus for me... yet.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 11:54 AM   #8
raclaims
"TRF" Member

It’s a solid piece
I hate the rubber strap
Lange got me a nice custom strap and it’s transformed the watch
I also like the leather strap as well

All this said I wear the SS version more often
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 12:07 PM   #9
vliberman
"TRF" Member

I think at 55k it is competitively priced vs alternatives. Not sure what in that range comes significantly cheaper except for Rolex models like PM SkyDweller. So I don’t think price is an issue. That said, there are plenty of options. Only u can decide if it is worth it to u…
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 02:29 PM   #10
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
It’s a solid piece
I hate the rubber strap
Lange got me a nice custom strap and it’s transformed the watch
I also like the leather strap as well

All this said I wear the SS version more often

That’s awesome of Lange to do that. What material is the custom strap? Would love to see it strap if you don’t mind sharing.
Old 5 August 2023, 09:24 PM   #11
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I tried it on last year at the boutique and it is truly a beautiful watch. I still prefer the quick release system (including a proper beautiful bracelet) on my steel Overseas 7900, but particularly the greyish dial color of the WG version makes it the most attractive Odysseus (to me).

That said I appreciate that a gold bracelet would have increased the price significantly, and the Odysseus bracelet is the weak point (IMHO) of the model anyhow.

So I’d say go for it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 10:52 PM   #12
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Would love to see the wg odysseus on a custom strap.. Any pix?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 01:32 AM   #13
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input. I have taken the offer by the BT and brought the watch home. I know I will save thousands by going grey in the market, but it is not a bad thing to keep up a relation with the BT in the long run. What an exquisite piece. Lange really makes beautiful dial. I think this Odysseus WG and the classical Lange 1 is the duo speaks for ALS tradition and the “never stand still” spirit. Will post some photos later!
Old 8 August 2023, 03:08 AM   #14
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkluk View Post
Thank you all for the input. I have taken the offer by the BT and brought the watch home. I know I will save thousands by going grey in the market, but it is not a bad thing to keep up a relation with the BT in the long run. What an exquisite piece. Lange really makes beautiful dial. I think this Odysseus WG and the classical Lange 1 is the duo speaks for ALS tradition and the “never stand still” spirit. Will post some photos later!

Congrats! Look forward to seeing pics of the Odysseus and the pair together!
Old 8 August 2023, 03:22 AM   #15
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkluk View Post
they had one available to buy immediately? nice. they told me I needed to buy another watch to be considered so I gave up
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 10:07 AM   #16
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
congrats - so they had one in stock for immediate purchase ? - based on your initial post was under the impression that you were placing a deposit for delivery later in the year. please post pics when you have a chance.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 10:43 AM   #17
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Sorry I haven’t stated very clearly in the first post. Actually I have been put on a wait list over a year after purchasing a Lange 1 (the base model 191.032). The SA has hinted that the allocation will come through soon a while ago. Not long after I posted to seek members view, the watch came to the boutique (which was earlier than I expected)😅

So in short, as it stands now, prior purchase history at BT is required (at least a Lange 1 in my case). It’s not possible to walk in to buy one as it is very limited, or be asked to put on wait list without buying.

Thanks!
Old 8 August 2023, 10:46 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

to clarify my post, I have purchase history but they straight up said buy a lange 1 for the WG Odysseus, saxonia not enough
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 10:49 AM   #19
lkluk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
to clarify my post, I have purchase history but they straight up said buy a lange 1 for the WG Odysseus, saxonia not enough
Yes that’s my understanding. A Saxonia was not qualified. But I am not sure if the practice is still the same for now.
Old 8 August 2023, 01:19 PM   #20
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
It's an unfortunate stance that they have here. The price difference isn't that great between the two models, so the additional profit they get is fairly unimportant in the scheme of things. And they alienate a customer who has already bought one of their watches. Plus for a brand who publicizes the quality and effort that they put into even their base models, this treats that base model as something less than the others.
Old 8 August 2023, 01:54 PM   #21
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's an unfortunate stance that they have here. The price difference isn't that great between the two models, so the additional profit they get is fairly unimportant in the scheme of things. And they alienate a customer who has already bought one of their watches. Plus for a brand who publicizes the quality and effort that they put into even their base models, this treats that base model as something less than the others.
It's a way of selecting who gets the desirable models. Steel Odysseus, depending on the market, 2x$100K watches isn't enough but in others, 1x$50K gets you on the 3-4 year wait. WG Odysseus easier but still need to buy a Lange 1 obviously. For me the WG isn't "different" enough to jump. I enquired re the Odysseus Chronograph and was told AU$1M of prior purchase was required!!!!
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 03:05 PM   #22
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
It's a way of selecting who gets the desirable models. Steel Odysseus, depending on the market, 2x$100K watches isn't enough but in others, 1x$50K gets you on the 3-4 year wait. WG Odysseus easier but still need to buy a Lange 1 obviously. For me the WG isn't "different" enough to jump. I enquired re the Odysseus Chronograph and was told AU$1M of prior purchase was required!!!!
I'll be honest, this sounds exhausting. Even as a Lange owner, I'm not at all interested in playing these games for their newer watches.
Old 8 August 2023, 04:51 PM   #23
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

That's how it seems to work with Lange now, buy a regular production watch to qualify for a limited production watch. When I ordered my 1815 chrono earlier this year they also asked if I wanted a WG Odysseus. I asked about the steel one and was told it's closed to new orders so I passed for now.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2023, 08:00 AM   #24
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
so are the only two options available at time of purchase/allocation the black rubber strap or the brown leather strap? Does one order additional straps from ALS or can one go to an Maison like Jean Rousseau and order a custom strap?
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2023, 03:52 PM   #25
lkluk
"TRF" Member

I didn’t indicate any preference on strap when being put on a waitlist. When the watch came, it was with rubber strap, which is very nice looking and comfortable! You can order the Lange brown leather strap, seems almost costs around 400 usd.
Old 10 August 2023, 02:31 AM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
That's how it seems to work with Lange now, buy a regular production watch to qualify for a limited production watch. When I ordered my 1815 chrono earlier this year they also asked if I wanted a WG Odysseus. I asked about the steel one and was told it's closed to new orders so I passed for now.
Your experience with them suggests they may be having problems moving some models. Never heard of offering another watch when putting in an order for a watch. That is different than just having to buy along and along to be considered for a hot model.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 03:14 AM   #27
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Your experience with them suggests they may be having problems moving some models. Never heard of offering another watch when putting in an order for a watch. That is different than just having to buy along and along to be considered for a hot model.
It's definitely possible. My feeling is that to get a model marked "limited edition" on their website, you need to buy one that isn't. At the time I was also interested in the Langematik Perpetual in white gold with the blue dial which is "limited edition" and they said I couldn't just buy that, but I could buy it along with my 1815 chrono. I wasn't prepared to buy both so just went with the one I really wanted. I think the Odysseus steel is one of the few exceptions to that.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2023, 12:13 AM   #28
lkluk
"TRF" Member

It has finally come!

DSCF4896090423_1.jpg

DSCF4898090423_1.jpg

DSCF4885090423_1.jpg

DSCF4894090423_1.jpg
Old 5 September 2023, 12:21 AM   #29
jjnd08