The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2023, 12:38 PM   #1
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Leather workbag

TRFers, i'm sure some of you can help with this.

I am interested in a new leather work bag. I use one everyday, and use them pretty hard: in and out of the car, put on desks, the ground, picked up and put down multiple times/day, etc. I had a Fossil messenger bag for 5 or so years that held up surprisingly well. Three years or so ago, I used shop credit at my golf course to get another bag but not sure of brand. It's showing it's age, leather is wearing, and the lining is coming apart.

I'm willing to spend up to $2000 for a quality piece but only if it will last years, if not decades, with proper care. If i can get something closer to $500, that would be great.

What I would like:
-Brown leather
-large enough to hold a 15" laptop, files, and a charger
-pockets in front that can be secured but accessible without opening the main compartment
-a lining that won't fall apart easily
-durable stitching and hardware
-reinforced bottom
-shoulder strap

Here is a Ghurka I like.

Or, for much less $$$, a Persaman New York at Nordstrom Rack

These are just a couple examples. Any thoughts on Ghurka, Persaman, Satchel and Paige, Shinola, Allen Edmods, or other bags that you recommend?

Thanks!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 12:59 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Im ten years into a Fossil now...it's my go to. I like Maxwell Scott bags and they have a few that look like the ones you've linked. The leather is quality and monogram is a nice touch. My wife and I have a number of their pieces. I have a MontBlanc briefcase, but it's a little formal to be my everyday.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 01:01 PM   #3
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Im ten years into a Fossil now...it's my go to. I like Maxwell Scott bags and they have a few that look like the ones you've linked. The leather is quality and monogram is a nice touch. My wife and I have a number of their pieces. I have a MontBlanc briefcase, but it's a little formal to be my everyday.
I hadn't heard of Maxwell Scott. Nice stuff! I like the size and interior layout of The Loreto. Have yours been durable?

I've seen a few Montblanc bags but haven't held one in hand yet.
Old 26 June 2023, 01:10 PM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I hadn't heard of Maxwell Scott. Nice stuff! I like the size and interior layout of The Loreto. Have yours been durable?

I've seen a few Montblanc bags but haven't held one in hand yet.
Yes, they've been great. My wife is a veterinary surgeon and uses the small medical bag as an everyday purse...it's in great shape after 8 years. I've had my workbag even longer, but it's not my everyday bag, so hers is a better gauge. We have a bunch of their wallets and travel folios. They make solid stuff.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 01:42 PM   #5
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

I like Filson bags. I have several beautiful leather briefcases, but always go back to my Filson computer bag. They look better the more beat up they are. Ironically, my strap on my Filson just broke and I’m in the market for a new briefcase. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be another Filson. I was on Ghurka’s website and considering that as an alternative.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 03:36 PM   #6
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Have you looked at Moore & Giles? We don't have any bags from them, but we do have the Traynham Leather Club Chair and the leather is really nice.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 03:38 PM   #7
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Saddleback Leather will have some good options that fit your criteria.

https://saddlebackleather.com/flight...her-briefcase/
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 10:13 PM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post

This is 1000% the right company. I have 4 bags, 3 wallets, and various other products from them. Each is outstanding, highly durable, look great, and when you look at what you get for the price they are a great deal.
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 10:42 PM   #9
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Saddle back will last forever but the standard case weighs almost 5 pounds.

Allen Edmonds used to sell Korchmar products and mine was great. Tough lining and not as heavy as the saddleback. Not sure if they still have these as the last time I was looking, they seemed to be outsourcing everything to the DR.

I have not held a Satchel and Paige or Moore and Giles but both brands seem to have a high reputation for quality.

I ended my career carrying a Filson simply because the lower weight made it much more versatile. Interestingly enough, though, it has developed the waxed canvas mustiness while sitting unused for the last four years.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 11:04 PM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Saddle back will last forever but the standard case weighs almost 5 pounds.

Allen Edmonds used to sell Korchmar products and mine was great. Tough lining and not as heavy as the saddleback. Not sure if they still have these as the last time I was looking, they seemed to be outsourcing everything to the DR.

I have not held a Satchel and Paige or Moore and Giles but both brands seem to have a high reputation for quality.

I ended my career carrying a Filson simply because the lower weight made it much more versatile. Interestingly enough, though, it has developed the waxed canvas mustiness while sitting unused for the last four years.
I personally have a bag from Saddleback Leather and Satchel and Page and the main difference between the two is how the leather is tanned. Saddleback use a chrome tan and Satchel and Page uses a veg tanned leather. Veg tanned leather for one thing is more expensive just given the amount of time it takes to tan the leather. Although the type of tannage may have more to do with your taste for the most part the more expensive bags will end up using Veg Tan leathers. As it is for me more people find a Veg Tan leather if not more attractive a more formal or dressier leather. Just as you wont find dress shoes using a Chrome Tan leather.

In my opinion although Satchell and Page and Saddleback Leather make good bags if your willing to pay up to $2000 you can most certainly find a nicer leather bag. I know I've come across a good number unfortunately at this point I can't for the life of me remember the names at this point.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 11:32 PM   #11
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Check out Satchel and Page. Love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 12:37 AM   #12
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post

I agree. Last December, I bought a backpack to use as a briefcase (https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-backpack-front) in Dark Coffee Brown. So far, a few scuffs, when it gets a lot of scuffs, it will look great.

I have a few of their other products, a portfolio, iPhone case, and wallet. Best wallet I've ever had, so well made that it will literally last forever.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 01:20 AM   #13
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate the advice!

For the Saddleback lovers, do you find the buckle closure system a pain to use? I get in and out of my bag pretty frequently and can see that being annoying.
Old 27 June 2023, 01:33 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I prefer things with a slightly edgy look.

Defy (made in Chicago) is my go to.

https://defybags.com/products/defend...39587127099478

EDIT: the bag will outlive you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:35 AM   #15
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate the advice!

For the Saddleback lovers, do you find the buckle closure system a pain to use? I get in and out of my bag pretty frequently and can see that being annoying.
I don’t find it to be a problem. The strap will break in quicker than any other part of the bag and I open/close mine with one hand all the time.
Old 29 June 2023, 10:08 PM   #16
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Check out Frank Clegg. Handmade in USA. Incredible quality for a not ridiculous price. I’ve bought from them many times and they always excel.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2023, 10:34 PM   #17
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

+1 for saddleback

have several of their pieces I've been using for 10+ years, they hold up very well
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2023, 10:36 PM   #18
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Check out Frank Clegg. Handmade in USA. Incredible quality for a not ridiculous price. I’ve bought from them many times and they always excel.
X2.

Well, if you want the best. I had a chance to handle one of their duffels and was seriously impressed.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 29 June 2023, 11:08 PM   #19
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Appreciate the advice!

There is a break in period but if you use the bag a lot it will be quick. Outside of a severe impact, run over by a car, I don’t see the buckles ever breaking. If one does you have a 100 year warranty. Zippers break all the time, catch things and get off track. They are more convenient but less durable.

Admittedly I haven’t seen many of the brands listed here in person (well maybe I have but don’t recognize all the names), but when I’ve looked at expensive bags, briefcases, duffels, etc., I never see anything I wouldn’t rather have from Saddleback, at typically much less cost. Their small leather goods are great as well, I have a wallet, passport wallet, and iPhone case.

I sound like Paul and Tumi…
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2023, 05:42 AM   #20
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Appreciate the advice!

I’ve had a Saddleback backpack and satchel for over 10 years and as you use the buckle system, it softens up. I can work the buckle and strap one handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2023, 01:42 PM   #21
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
There is a break in period but if you use the bag a lot it will be quick. Outside of a severe impact, run over by a car, I don’t see the buckles ever breaking. If one does you have a 100 year warranty. Zippers break all the time, catch things and get off track. They are more convenient but less durable.

Admittedly I haven’t seen many of the brands listed here in person (well maybe I have but don’t recognize all the names), but when I’ve looked at expensive bags, briefcases, duffels, etc., I never see anything I wouldn’t rather have from Saddleback, at typically much less cost. Their small leather goods are great as well, I have a wallet, passport wallet, and iPhone case.

I sound like Paul and Tumi…
I don’t feel that Saddleback has quite nailed their wallets in the same way as their bags. Their whole thing is using very thick full grain leather, and while this means that all the wallets are built like tanks that will never die, they are thick to the point of breaking cards and being overly bulky. Currently carrying their medium wallet, but have carried the passport wallet and large wallet in the past. I can see why wallet makers thin out the leather for card slots, because when you don’t it creates problems.

Might put an Ashland Leather wallet on my Christmas list this year for Santa.
Old 11 January 2024, 03:32 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You cannot go wrong with Ghurka.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:44 AM   #23
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
If you don't mind the wait time, look at Mitchell Leather. He will custom make you one.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 11:57 AM   #24
ScottD
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a big fan of Saddleback. I've been carrying the Barrister bag for 4-5 years. Great bag. Kinda heavy, but can hold a ton of stuff. I have the Flight bag too. Check them out.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:24 PM   #25
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
Not very original - or edgy, but I love all my TUMI bags, luggage and accessories. They last forever, classic styling and the designs are well thought out.
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 02:08 PM   #26
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
If you don't mind the wait time, look at Mitchell Leather. He will custom make you one.
That is a whole other level!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 14 January 2024, 03:21 PM   #27
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looked into Mitchell tonight. My wife, whom I would’ve expected to balk at the cost, told me to “just do it.”

And dammit, I just left the only firm I’ve worked for (10 years) and am joining some former colleagues to form our own firm. I love bison so I may go with that leather.

18 month lead time and over $2000, but it may be the last worn bag I ever buy!
Old 14 January 2024, 08:42 PM   #28
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

First time I’ve heard of them, the bags look incredible. Nice other products too, going to order a couple of belts. Really like the wallets as well and the “no logo” option is a huge plus.

OP, you chose very well. If I needed a bag, I’d order one too.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 12:52 AM   #29
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Longchamps and Serapian

https://www.longchamp.com/gb/en/prod...237HCV001.html

https://www.serapian.com/en-asia/pro...hmll626140y021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 07:58 AM   #30
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looked into Mitchell tonight. My wife, whom I would’ve expected to balk at the cost, told me to “just do it.”

And dammit, I just left the only firm I’ve worked for (10 years) and am joining some former colleagues to form our own firm. I love bison so I may go with that leather.

18 month lead time and over $2000, but it may be the last worn bag I ever buy!
I saw a chocolate bison leather briefcase of theirs years ago that was stunning. Well worth the wait and a great reward for becoming you own boss. It was the best move I ever made and I wish you the same.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD