The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 November 2018, 02:46 PM   #1
hanswstiftung
"TRF" Member

Cartier Santos Dumont - Overview and History?

Dear fellow RF-members,

Perhaps I am spoiled from researching mostly Rolex, AP or Patek, though I can't help but notice that there is hardly any information on vintage Cartier Santos available. Sure, current models are widely discussed and you'll easily find it cherished for being the gentleman's first wristwatch, but where could I find an overview of all Santos models produced, their reference numbers and more detailed information like the differences in dial (Swiss vs Swiss Made vs Paris), crown, thickness, movement, hands or size?

Some of the specific questions I have:

Was 27 x 36mm the largest available size for it?
Some models appear slightly thicker, what is up with that?
What are the reference numbers?
Were all hands blue?

Hope someone can help enlighten me,
Thank you

https://www.chrono24.com/cartier/san...-id9252524.htm
hanswstiftung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The Santos Dumont has been around and remained relatively unchanged since the 70s, I think. To my knowledge it has only been available in one size (through there years, there may have been slight variations), in yellow gold or platinum, with a manual movement (no quartz option to my knowledge). I don't know about the movements used in the earliest versions, but the later versions used an ultra thin movement from F. Piguet (I do not know Cartier's naming convention for this movement).

The standard version was offered in yellow gold with a plain white dial and blue sword hands. Below are some interesting and unique versions that were offered.

Here is a 90th anniversary edition, released in 1994. The case is platinum, with a salmon dial and blue breguet hands:

Here's a picture of the 90th anniversary edition (right) next to the later CPCP version which would have been from1998-2008. The CPCP version, also in platinum (but also offered in yellow gold), has "Paris" written on the dial, has blue sword hands and also a guilloche dial:

Cartier also released this Santos Dumont for the 100th anniversary. Named the Santos Dumont 1913, this is a tribute watch to a Santos Dumont originally offered, I presume, in 1913. This watch was also part of the CPCP line so it has "Paris" on the dial. It's in pink gold and the case shape is different than the other Santos Dumont models. The movement is the same as the others, I believe:

After CPCP ended in 2008, Cartier released a new Santos Dumont, which is still in production. It's larger, but still extremely thin. It uses the 430MC movement which is based on the Piaget 430P ultra thin movement.

There have already been many versions of the latest version. The basic, time-only version has been offered in yellow gold, rose gold, and white gold, I think. Not sure about a platinum version.

Sorry I couldn't assist with specifics (ref numbers, dimensions, etc...) as my knowledge is limited, but I hoped to have shed some light on the Santos Dumont.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 03:40 PM   #3
hanswstiftung
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Wesley Crusher, great info! Funnily enough, it has also added to my confusion.

For example, you say that "Paris" on the dial appears for the CPCP line, which you date to 1998 and later. This watch is listed as 1985, but also shows Paris on the dial, while many later ones do not.

Regarding my question about size, after looking at 20 or so watches currently or recently for sale, 27mm x 33mm appears like the most common and largest size available.

I could not figure out why some models are thicker than others but appear otherwise identical.
hanswstiftung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 02:13 AM   #4
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgoulet View Post
Thank you, Wesley Crusher, great info! Funnily enough, it has also added to my confusion.

For example, you say that "Paris" on the dial appears for the CPCP line, which you date to 1998 and later. This watch is listed as 1985, but also shows Paris on the dial, while many later ones do not.

Regarding my question about size, after looking at 20 or so watches currently or recently for sale, 27mm x 33mm appears like the most common and largest size available.

I could not figure out why some models are thicker than others but appear otherwise identical.
For the CPCP watches, you will see “Paris” written directly below “Cartier”. If you look at the very bottom of the dial, it will still say “Swiss Made”. If the bottom of the dial is signed “Paris”, I believe that means that the watch was assembled at the workshop in Paris. You will also see on some watches that the bottom of the dial is signed “London” and those were made in the London workshop. I hope that clears things up.

Can you show me some examples of the Santos Dumont in varying thicknesses?
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 05:26 AM   #5
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgoulet View Post
Dear fellow RF-members,

Perhaps I am spoiled from researching mostly Rolex, AP or Patek, though I can't help but notice that there is hardly any information on vintage Cartier Santos available. Sure, current models are widely discussed and you'll easily find it cherished for being the gentleman's first wristwatch, but where could I find an overview of all Santos models produced, their reference numbers and more detailed information like the differences in dial (Swiss vs Swiss Made vs Paris), crown, thickness, movement, hands or size?

Some of the specific questions I have:

Was 27 x 36mm the largest available size for it?
Some models appear slightly thicker, what is up with that?
What are the reference numbers?
Were all hands blue?

Hope someone can help enlighten me,
Thank you

https://www.chrono24.com/cartier/san...-id9252524.htm

check this out! singapore just a stone throw away. happy shopping!

http://www.heirloom2.com/non-chronog...NT_CONDITION__
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Sargonis
"TRF" Member

I didn’t see this thread and made this comment in the other Cartier thread. I really hope they make a new Santos Dumont just like those you posted (the CPCP/90th anniversary). It would be even better in steel, but I highly doubt it. I just feel the newly revised Santos simply isn’t as elegant plus my wrists are small.
Sargonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartier santos , santos dumont