The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2024, 11:15 AM   #1
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Should I be offended?

Just wanted to reach out to fellow watch enthusiasts and get their thoughts on a situation that just recently came to light. It involves an idea for a promotional watch that evidently has come to fruition. Somewhat long winded but if you have a moment please read on.

I have been collecting watches for approximately 15 years. I started collecting when my three children finished college and my wife and I had run out of ideas for Christmas presents. She totally surprised me with a watch from an aviation themed company. That was the beginning of going down the rabbit hole. I was so taken by the watch and brand that I soon became an extremely good customer of their New York Boutique. As a result I had the opportunity to meet a great deal of celebrities and the President of the brand’s United States operation. A casual friendship developed and we always exchanged pleasantries whenever we met. In fact, during this time period I had the occasion to dine with him at lunches and dinners that were held in conjunction with their promotional events.

Recently they opened a Boutique in close proximity to my residence and I was invited to attend the grand opening. While at the event the President of brand’s United States operation came over and we engaged in an extended conversation. I reminded him of a previous event where one of the Brand’s ambassador and I interacted. This ambassador, a prominent sports figure, who also lives in the area was present at this opening. While conversing with the ambassador for approximately 30 minutes my friend and I discussed with him the idea of developing a watch to commemorate the ambassadors premier sporting event. He was thrilled with the idea especially when we pointed out a portion of the watch sales price could be earmarked for his foundation. When the United States president of the brand returned to the conversation the idea was discussed even further, even down to the number of watches to be released. Prior to leaving we updated each others contact information so they could contact us when they wanted to discuss the development of this watch!

Imagine my surprise when I received a mass mailing of an email from the brand today announcing the release of a watch commemorating this premier sporting event and not only the ambassadors role but his foundation as well, exactly as we had discussed that evening.

I’m not saying I was expecting to be in the board room, but an email, or follow up with some type of acknowledgment of our conversation would have been nice. Should I be somewhat annoyed, offended, or am I being too sensitive?
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:57 PM   #2
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I would probably give the guy a break because it’s possible that legal considerations could have prevented him from reaching out before the announcement.

If it’s a publicly traded company, that could come into play. If private, legal could advise not to discuss to prevent you from trying to somehow profit from the idea or take action.

I’m not saying that you would, but I’ve been around enough legal departments to know that this type of advice is commonplace. Interacting with you before the announcement could be seen as evidence you were part of the ideation process.

Or it could be a simple case of forgetfulness.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 01:05 PM   #3
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I might be mildly offended if they were actual friends of mine and not just acquaintances based on a supplier/customer relationship.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 01:59 PM   #4
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Way too sensitive. Are you paid by them? Consult in any official capacity? Any official affiliation whatsoever? In a case like this all you have is personal pride. Go with that.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:13 PM   #5
Andad

Watch: A few.
Email:.

"Hey, nice to read that you went with my idea.

When can I pick up my free watch?"

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:37 PM   #6
omar10213245

Watch: big fat invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

"Who are you, again?"
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:03 PM   #7
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

A slightly more polished version of this is my answer
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 08:13 PM   #8
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
That sucks I would atleast would want an acknowledgement or some sort of thank you gesture even if it is not monetary because well since its a fundraiser and at end for a good cause.
Old 30 January 2024, 08:17 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
What’s the brand and who is the president?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 08:44 PM   #10
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
You are too sensitive. They run a business and may not have the flexibility to let customers know in advance.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 09:05 PM   #11
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Well well well....welcome to corporate America. I do not want to generalize, but many CEO or Presidents are there for a reason, and got there with a little of this. They are vultures and cutthroat. He more than likely is taking all the credit for this "idea" with not a mention of your conversation. You will not be part of the venture moving forward. If it was me, I would send an email and congratulate him on this new special project and leave it at that.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 09:11 PM   #12
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Last edited by PT_91; 30 January 2024 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Post deleted in order not to contribute to OP getting in trouble.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 09:45 PM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Understand your frustration, but posting this situation on a public message board was not a wise decision. Odds that the relevant parties won’t hear about this are zero and none of the possible outcomes are positive.

I’d message the mods and ask for a deletion.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 09:52 PM   #14
THC

Watch: 16610M
Reminds me of THE BEACH!!! Seinfeld episode, where they stole Kramer’s idea
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 10:24 PM   #15
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I would say you’re being over sensitive. I would also think that the fact that this athlete was already a brand ambassador would suggest the idea of a collaboration was possibly already in the works at some level. Furthermore both the ambassador athlete and the president are probably inundated on a near daily basis with “you should do this” ideas.

I’d be more upset, if based on your relationship with the company (prior to this public post) you were not allocated one of the LE pieces.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 10:26 PM   #16
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Should I be somewhat annoyed, offended, or am I being too sensitive?
If I were you, I'd be annoyed. Maybe not all that surprised, but yeah, definitely a little miffed.
Old 31 January 2024, 12:03 AM   #17
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
I would probably give the guy a break because it’s possible that legal considerations could have prevented him from reaching out before the announcement.

If it’s a publicly traded company, that could come into play. If private, legal could advise not to discuss to prevent you from trying to somehow profit from the idea or take action.

I’m not saying that you would, but I’ve been around enough legal departments to know that this type of advice is commonplace. Interacting with you before the announcement could be seen as evidence you were part of the ideation process.

Or it could be a simple case of forgetfulness.
I agree, yesterday when I saw the email I was somewhat annoyed, Now I find it somewhat humorous!
Old 31 January 2024, 12:09 AM   #18
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Is it the Breitling Super Bowl Chronograph, with ties to Boomer Esiason's charity?

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-rel...edition-watch/

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 12:20 AM   #19
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Understand your frustration, but posting this situation on a public message board was not a wise decision. Odds that the relevant parties won’t hear about this are zero and none of the possible outcomes are positive.

I’d message the mods and ask for a deletion.
Not sure that I follow, multiple aquaintances of mine were involved in the conversation and all recall it. I am not seeking any financial compensation and as I said in the original post "should I be offended"?

It is quite possible as others have pointed out that this idea was in the works previously and they could not comment on it. I just find it humorous that numerous concepts discussed were included in the final product
Old 31 January 2024, 12:34 AM   #20
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
Not sure that I follow
You're basically accusing a very Senior guy at this watch brand of not acknowledging your input in the right way, which could put this person (and/or brand, which can both easily be found out (I deleted my post in order not to contribute to you getting into trouble)) in a bad light. If I were that person and would find out that you are writing these things about me, I would probably refrain from inviting you to future events or discussing certain things with you, fearing that they could be disclosed on this forum.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 12:44 AM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Should I be offended?

I had a similar situation at work not too long ago. I’m retired now, but I’m still annoyed by it. I managed a large software development / systems application team. I made a recommendation to another team, and it turned out to be a massive success for them and the entire company.

To this day, the folks that implemented this idea never said a thing to me. It was my idea, but I wasn’t even invited to all their celebration gatherings they had for it. lol.

Whatever, I’m retired now. Things could be a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 12:44 AM   #22
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I understand your feelings. Not worth burning the place down but a quick email/text to say it’s coming would have been polite.

When MLB interleague play first started, I wrote to the owner of the SF Giants and suggested they do a throwback uniform when they play the Oakland Athletics. History buffs may know John McGraw had his New York Giants wear ‘intimidating’ all black uniforms against the Philadelphia Athletics in the 1905 World Series, which they won. The owner wrote back and thanked me for the great suggestion, but said it would be too hot for all black uniforms. A year or so later, despite the heat, they did the throwback uniforms. I didn’t watch it, but read about it and was like “that was my idea”.

At least our beautiful minds make other people happy!
Old 31 January 2024, 12:44 AM   #23
-dustin

Their marketing/ PR budget must be tight.

I would be annoyed.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 01:14 AM   #24
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
You're basically accusing a very Senior guy at this watch brand of not acknowledging your input in the right way, which could put this person (and/or brand, which can both easily be found out (I deleted my post in order not to contribute to you getting into trouble)) in a bad light. If I were that person and would find out that you are writing these things about me, I would probably refrain from inviting you to future events or discussing certain things with you, fearing that they could be disclosed on this forum.

My thinking exactly.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 01:18 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I invented ankle socks.

just sayin.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 01:44 AM   #26
rpdur
"TRF" Member

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
rpdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 01:52 AM   #27
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdur View Post
“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan

Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2024, 06:27 AM   #28
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Looks like the only thing special about the watch is the case back?
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 06:36 AM   #29
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's a business and they hear ideas all the time.

Don't expect a pat on the back just because an idea you discussed happened.
Old 31 January 2024, 08:51 AM   #30
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
Looks like the only thing special about the watch is the case back?

I’m not sure I even understand this collaboration. A former NFL quarterback, who never won a Super Bowl, doing an LE watch tied to this year’s Super Bowl. He’s not even in the booth for the game. Isn’t that Nantz and Romo? Where’s the relevance between him and this year’s Super Bowl? They should have collaborated with Taylor Swift.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote