The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2024, 09:01 AM   #31
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Speaking of. That guy is now banned? Wonder what happened....
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 09:20 AM   #32
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1998 View Post
Hello!
I started my AP Journey 4 years ago with a 38mm ROC and proceeded to purchase a 41 ROC last year. Spoke with my SA and told them my grail piece would be the 16202st and she informed me it would be a good 5th watch — but I would need to add a code to my profile. With that being said, I told them I would love the CODE 15210QT and a 15510st as my 3rd and 4th watch and hopefully she could try and get me a 16202 after that as my fifth!
ROO’s are off the table as I have pretty slim wrists and my SA informed me that wouldn't be an issue and a code could do it.
I just wanted to get your insight as the SA was pretty honest by telling me how to get to a jumbo — was that the case for those of you who inquired or purchased one?

There are never guarantees...but ask yourself this question.

Let's say you did get the 16202 of your dreams now, would you still buy the 15210QT and the 15510ST?

That means you really love the pieces. Then go for the two pieces, without expectation and an open mind.

Watch collecting has historically not been an investment game - so the minute you make it an investment game it becomes less exciting and more ridiculous (and you should go grey). Watches are poor investments in general and you are probably better off investing in other things :) And BTW - it's the same story with 90% plus of Rolex, Patek, and VC models too (if you want to take a big bath get a Patek Perpetual! Only true aficionados make the leap :)

For me, my 15202 came from a particular dealer after a CODE, ladies piece, and a RO Tourbillon. Then a 16202 arrived right after that. And since then, some really amazing pieces (26585CE, 26615TI, Starwheel, and others) mixed in some pieces me and my wife loved (ladies ceramics, CODE, ROOS, and others) all at different times and places.

And I look at all of these, and my Patek and Rolex collection, and I still have zero hesitation wearing AP first every day. And I'm never bored! And I am super happy with my AP dealer AND the positive connections with all of the AP houses / dealers around the world, even when I was just wearing my CODE.

So hope you find those models as exciting as I have found my own AP collection. Good luck, no expectations, and be open minded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 09:46 AM   #33
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Almost all APs are under water and we are still buying into the “journey”. Come on.

You can’t win the game you don’t understand. There is no rule, at the same time, SA makes all the rules:

“5 purchases to jumbo, in USA”
“3 purchases to Jumbo, in Asia”
“7 purchases to Jumbo, in UAE”

These are random numbers they pulled from thin air.
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 10:47 AM   #34
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I seriously can’t believe that people willing get hosed like this. I have too much self-respect.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 11:09 AM   #35
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
I seriously can’t believe that people willing get hosed like this. I have too much self-respect.
what does it take to get invited to the golf events at lake como with ian poulter? I'd buy a code if I would get invited to these type of events a couple times a year. If there would a bunch of collector dinners and events then I would be sucker enough to invest into the journey. A lot of entry watches are not bad just not really that great. In essense I could be bought with a mirage of pseudo VIP parties.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 11:53 AM   #36
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP&AP View Post
It's wild how people jump into these threads acting like every SA is a scam artist. The quality of your SA really seems to dictate whether people have a positive or negative view of the brand.

The OP said they like both of those watches, and if that's true, then it makes sense to buy them from the SA and likely get a jumbo in the process (maybe some nice event invites too). If they don't like them, or just want a jumbo immediately, then it makes a lot more sense to go grey as others have suggested.

OP - try the 15210Q on. It's very light, which is something I really like about it, though not everyone does.
Worded it perfectly, going grey makes sense to most people right now if they have 1 grail they’d like to acquire as prices have dropped. It all comes down to experience with your SA — My former SA wasnt all that great as I didn’t like how he was pushing pieces and borderline forcing me to purchase I spoke with the manager and was reassigned to a lovely new SA that’s super helpful. Don’t be afraid to speak with the boutique manager and get things fixed.

I tried the 15210QT on and pictures don’t do it justice such a lovely piece!
mms1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:00 PM   #37
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
There are never guarantees...but ask yourself this question.

Let's say you did get the 16202 of your dreams now, would you still buy the 15210QT and the 15510ST?

That means you really love the pieces. Then go for the two pieces, without expectation and an open mind.

Watch collecting has historically not been an investment game - so the minute you make it an investment game it becomes less exciting and more ridiculous (and you should go grey). Watches are poor investments in general and you are probably better off investing in other things :) And BTW - it's the same story with 90% plus of Rolex, Patek, and VC models too (if you want to take a big bath get a Patek Perpetual! Only true aficionados make the leap :)

For me, my 15202 came from a particular dealer after a CODE, ladies piece, and a RO Tourbillon. Then a 16202 arrived right after that. And since then, some really amazing pieces (26585CE, 26615TI, Starwheel, and others) mixed in some pieces me and my wife loved (ladies ceramics, CODE, ROOS, and others) all at different times and places.

And I look at all of these, and my Patek and Rolex collection, and I still have zero hesitation wearing AP first every day. And I'm never bored! And I am super happy with my AP dealer AND the positive connections with all of the AP houses / dealers around the world, even when I was just wearing my CODE.

So hope you find those models as exciting as I have found my own AP collection. Good luck, no expectations, and be open minded!

Such a positive take on this whole thing, I really do think that being happy with the pieces you bought along the way is very important. The two pieces I’m waiting for really do speak to me and btw what an amazing line up of watches you have. Hope you wear them in good health!
Old 4 April 2024, 12:29 PM   #38
gptwc
"TRF" Member

I also agree that not all SAs are scams, and I can see that OP has a good SA based on his first and second allocations. To ensure that your SA is able to secure a jumbo for you, their title is key. If yours is a boutique manager or even a brand ambassador, you are likely to be allocated a jumbo based on what they suggest. Otherwise, there's a risk. However, if I were you, I would try to negotiate to receive the code and be put on the waiting list for a jumbo, if you don't mind waiting. That's exactly what I'm doing, and I also got the 15210qt as well.

You are not alone walking the AP journey 🫢
gptwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 12:35 PM   #39
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptwc View Post
I also agree that not all SAs are scams, and I can see that OP has a good SA based on his first and second allocations. To ensure that your SA is able to secure a jumbo for you, their title is key. If yours is a boutique manager or even a brand ambassador, you are likely to be allocated a jumbo based on what they suggest. Otherwise, there's a risk. However, if I were you, I would try to negotiate to receive the code and be put on the waiting list for a jumbo, if you don't mind waiting. That's exactly what I'm doing, and I also got the 15210qt as well.

You are not alone walking the AP journey 🫢
My SA isn’t a boutique manager but I’m familiar with the manager.
How long was the wait for the 15210qt? And how many watches did you purchase prior? I’m waiting for the code and the 15510st and will be adding the jumbo to my wishlist right after I purchase the code.
Old 4 April 2024, 12:49 PM   #40
gptwc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My SA isn’t a boutique manager but I’m familiar with the manager.
How long was the wait for the 15210qt? And how many watches did you purchase prior? I’m waiting for the code and the 15510st and will be adding the jumbo to my wishlist right after I purchase the code.

I know many people won't like this, but building relationships with the manager (not only the SA) is very important. I'm lucky to have a boutique near me. I will visit them regularly having some watches and business talking, and sometimes bring snacks or cakes.

1 RO, 1 ROC and 15210qt
It was 2 weeks waiting for the 15210qt
Old 4 April 2024, 12:58 PM   #41
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know many people won't like this, but building relationships with the manager (not only the SA) is very important. I'm lucky to have a boutique near me. I will visit them regularly having some watches and business talking, and sometimes bring snacks or cakes.

1 RO, 1 ROC and 15210qt
It was 2 weeks waiting for the 15210qt
Nice! Hopefully I get the allocation early.
Planning on acquiring something before the jumbo?
Old 4 April 2024, 01:06 PM   #42
gptwc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice! Hopefully I get the allocation early.
Planning on acquiring something before the jumbo?

I hope not, as I negotiated with the code to put me on the waitlist for the Jumbo, just like my friends who succeeded in getting the Jumbo with the same route through the same SA. Of course, he said there is no guarantee.
Old 4 April 2024, 01:25 PM   #43
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope not, as I negotiated with the code to put me on the waitlist for the Jumbo, just like my friends who succeeded in getting the Jumbo with the same route through the same SA. Of course, he said there is no guarantee.
Awesome, If I get the code first I may ask to add the jumbo to my wishlist and the 15510st too.
Good luck
Old 4 April 2024, 02:15 PM   #44
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100% agree.
Old 4 April 2024, 02:42 PM   #45
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol, all the posts about people bending over for watches is the reason to come to the AP sub forum.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 04:15 PM   #46
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Lol, all the posts about people bending over for watches is the reason to come to the AP sub forum.
Who cares if they can swing it
Old 4 April 2024, 09:53 PM   #47
PP&AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15407
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
what does it take to get invited to the golf events at lake como with ian poulter? I'd buy a code if I would get invited to these type of events a couple times a year. If there would a bunch of collector dinners and events then I would be sucker enough to invest into the journey. A lot of entry watches are not bad just not really that great. In essense I could be bought with a mirage of pseudo VIP parties.
I think this is based on relationship more than spend. I was taken on one of those golf trips and my collection isn’t that large.
Old 4 April 2024, 11:44 PM   #48
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
100% agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
This
Old 6 April 2024, 09:02 PM   #49
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Seems that no-one actually wants a CODE and these are pieces that are forced down the customer's throat with the hopes of eventually getting a piece you want. I would not accept this.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 12:07 AM   #50
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Seems that no-one actually wants a CODE and these are pieces that are forced down the customer's throat with the hopes of eventually getting a piece you want. I would not accept this.
How does it seem so, when there are many posts by people who bought their Codes because they enjoy them, including some of the biggest collectors posting here?
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 12:11 AM   #51
Ramathorn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
How does it seem so, when there are many posts by people who bought their Codes because they enjoy them, including some of the biggest collectors posting here?
Yes, there are some who enjoy their Codes, but it is few and far in between. The Royal Oak company is a one trick pony, unfortunately. One look at their website essentially mirrors the product offering of Omega's limited editions.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 12:28 AM   #52
vwc228
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Believe it or not, I actually really want one :) Have been waiting to get it as my first AP from the AD for almost 6 months but won't be waiting much longer as I might just go ahead and get it from the gray market for less.

The code never did it for me until I actually saw one in the flesh. Images on a screen really don't do this watch any justice. I was also in the market for a beige dial watch and was debating between an IWC and a Blancpain, until I saw the Code Smoked dial and that was all I needed :)
vwc228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 03:07 AM   #53
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

15210qt is so beautiful. I had it from boutique since 3 months. Impossible to remove it from my wrist. I bought it because attention to details is what I like about watches. AP finitions are really top notch.
If you want 1 RO go grey, if you like differents lines go boutique and enjoy the ride.
I think spending history and relationship is 50-50 for allocations. I know a jerk that had to spend 500k during the hype to get his 15407or, and some other nice guy having one for under 150k spending history ….
I heard that jumbo is typically a 5-6th Watch allocation, very doable in your case but yeah no one can garantee that 100%.

Last edited by TheHolyLuck; 7 April 2024 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
TheHolyLuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 07:48 AM   #54
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwc228 View Post
Believe it or not, I actually really want one :) Have been waiting to get it as my first AP from the AD for almost 6 months but won't be waiting much longer as I might just go ahead and get it from the gray market for less.

The code never did it for me until I actually saw one in the flesh. Images on a screen really don't do this watch any justice. I was also in the market for a beige dial watch and was debating between an IWC and a Blancpain, until I saw the Code Smoked dial and that was all I needed :)

Awesome to hear. You've got to see it to really appreciate it! It's an incredibly unique and exclusive line which you will rarely see in the wild. I've collected CODE since the first year of release and I have not seen a single CODE in public (definitely of course in events and at boutiques but never elsewhere).

A fun fact - there are as many Hondas sold in the US as there are Rolex models sold.

There are as many Porsches sold as many Pateks sold .

And CODE? They are as rare as Bentley and Maserati in the US. Think of that, and enjoy it!

Old 7 April 2024, 07:53 AM   #55
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome to hear. You've got to see it to really appreciate it! It's an incredibly unique and exclusive line which you will rarely see in the wild. I've collected CODE since the first year of release and I have not seen a single CODE in public (definitely of course in events and at boutiques but never elsewhere).

A fun fact - there are as many Hondas sold in the US as there are Rolex models sold.

There are as many Porsches sold as many Pateks sold .

And CODE? They are as rare as Bentley and Maserati in the US. Think of that, and enjoy it!

And forgot to add...Omega as ubiquitous as Subaru.

No shame (the Outlander is an excellent car and wins many awards) but it's everywhere!

Enjoy your CODE journey!

Old 7 April 2024, 04:32 PM   #56
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Yes, there are some who enjoy their Codes, but it is few and far in between. The Royal Oak company is a one trick pony, unfortunately. One look at their website essentially mirrors the product offering of Omega's limited editions.
Yes this corresponds with my experience and understanding as well.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 06:31 PM   #57
vwc228
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, absolutely! But that's why it's a bit baffling as to why it's taking the boutique so long to get one for me. I really don't think there are a lot of people asking for these! Will give them a bit more time before moving on!
vwc228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:43 AM   #58
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
you will rarely see in the wild. I've collected CODE since the first year of release and I have not seen a single CODE in public (definitely of course in events and at boutiques but never elsewhere)

People buy them to get a RO and many resell them on the aftermarket. Most probably have nicer watches or are too embarrassed to wear a code in public which explains the lack of sightings!
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:11 AM   #59
mms1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyLuck View Post
15210qt is so beautiful. I had it from boutique since 3 months. Impossible to remove it from my wrist. I bought it because attention to details is what I like about watches. AP finitions are really top notch.
If you want 1 RO go grey, if you like differents lines go boutique and enjoy the ride.
I think spending history and relationship is 50-50 for allocations. I know a jerk that had to spend 500k during the hype to get his 15407or, and some other nice guy having one for under 150k spending history ….
I heard that jumbo is typically a 5-6th Watch allocation, very doable in your case but yeah no one can garantee that 100%.
Yes of course, there are no guarantees but the 15210qt is a stunner and codes in general look way better in person. The craftsmanship is just phenomenal can’t wait to get mine.
Old 8 April 2024, 07:10 AM   #60
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
People buy them to get a RO and many resell them on the aftermarket. Most probably have nicer watches or are too embarrassed to wear a code in public which explains the lack of sightings!

Well...I don't wear my Daytona or Nautilus or Aquanaut simply because I see them on everybody's wrist. Hated seeing the same watches during any beach holiday, so while I appreciate them, I don't wear them anymore. But because they are so popular, they are indeed great investments - and not a surprise, they are even more ubiquitous in the grey market than RO. They are as liquid as BTC or any currency.

But that for me is not the spirit of watch collecting. YMMV, but I actually wear my watches and hate them sitting in the safe. I began collecting watches when you would immediately lose money when you left the store - and you only bought because you loved the watch. These days it's different. It's a free country so to each their own.

Anyway, in the spirit of your intense CODE love, here are three for your enjoyment :) Never cared about the value, only loved the pieces.