The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2024, 03:25 AM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

Grail Acquisition Story

Some of you have asked for the story behind my most recent addition. See below:

2010 was my first experience seeing an AP and I knew from the first time I saw one I had to have it. I made an excuse at least once per month to visit my then-local AP AD and try on the Royal Oak, despite being a college student who couldn’t afford to buy a watch, let alone an AP. The Royal Oak became, and remained, an unachievable grail watch.

In 2019 I made a trip to the NYC AP boutique after not seeing an AP in person since I left DC in 2014. At the time, the boutique didn’t have any stainless steel Royal Oaks available for sale, but showed me a bunch of already sold examples. Among the watches the SA showed me included the then-recently released 26315st with the grey dial and silver subdials. I loved it. I loved the 38mm case size and I loved the monochromatic aesthetic in which the subdial rings, indices and hands all matched the polished portions of the case and bracelet and the grey dial matched the brushed portions of the case and bracelet. It had a very similar monochromatic aesthetic to my then-Rolex, which had a grey dial and diamond markers. I knew the grey 26315st was going to be my first AP.

I asked the sales associate how much it costs and if I could buy one, knowing that I couldn’t afford it but wanted to ask any way. She told me it was unavailable that day but, at the time, they had a special type of waitlist where they knew as of the beginning of the year how many allocations of each model they were getting that year and would allow deposits from that number of people. She told me that there was an allocation available for the grey 26315st that year and I could reserve it for a $6,000 deposit. For the next 10 minutes I tried to rationalize paying the deposit and figuring out how to pay the balance once the watch arrived but ultimately I knew it wasn’t the right time and I left the boutique without paying my deposit.

Time went on and during covid I went a little crazy buying, selling, and trying all different watches when it was very easy to buy, try, and sell if I didn’t bond with the watch. I had a few Rolex, a few Omega, and a lot of Panerai. I loved Panerai’s utilitarian history and clean, simple, design language. I loved that they had hundreds of references with unique nuance. I loved the straps and the ability to be creative with the watches and I loved the casual WFH atmosphere that I enjoyed over 2-3 years of remote covid work allowing me to wear these big, bulky, rugged, utilitarian watches that would otherwise not work on my small wrist while wearing a suit and working in corporate America in NYC.

Covid and WFH ended and I found myself back in the office in NYC and found that I was falling out of love with the Panerai because they didn’t work for my lifestyle anymore. I wanted something smaller, more refined, and made with a level of precision and care that I didn’t find in Panerai. I found myself exclusively wearing my Rolex Pepsi GMT. Even on the days that I worked from home and put the Panerai or Omega on in the morning, by lunchtime, I had put the Pepsi back on my wrist. After observing this for a few months, I knew it was time to look for something new that would satisfy my requirements.

I was certain that I was going to buy the new stainless steel Rolex Daytona. Before pulling the trigger on the Daytona, I had a friend push me to consider my grail AP. I almost immediately dismissed that idea knowing I would never get an allocation of the current generation (26715st), and that even if I was comfortable buying from the grey market, I couldn’t afford to pay grey market prices for one. However, the stars aligned and I came across a preowned 26315st from 2021. It was in absolutely mint condition and the owner was willing to sell it. I had it on my wrist in 48 hours and I could not be happier. It still feels surreal to me.

Old 15 April 2024, 06:23 PM   #2
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @kuwaitinglist
I love a good grail story, congratulations and wear it in good health. To many more to come!

Personally, I am waiting for "the call". Recently bought my wife a lovely 33mm Royal Oak quartz and waiting for my black 15510ST. Hopefully soon.
Ω Speedmaster Calibre 321 "Ed White"
Konstantin Chaykin Joker Classic
SEVENFRIDAY
@Kuwaitinglist
MYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 09:02 PM   #3
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMess View Post
Some of you have asked for the story behind my most recent addition. See below:

2010 was my first experience seeing an AP and I knew from the first time I saw one I had to have it. I made an excuse at least once per month to visit my then-local AP AD and try on the Royal Oak, despite being a college student who couldn’t afford to buy a watch, let alone an AP. The Royal Oak became, and remained, an unachievable grail watch.

In 2019 I made a trip to the NYC AP boutique after not seeing an AP in person since I left DC in 2014. At the time, the boutique didn’t have any stainless steel Royal Oaks available for sale, but showed me a bunch of already sold examples. Among the watches the SA showed me included the then-recently released 26315st with the grey dial and silver subdials. I loved it. I loved the 38mm case size and I loved the monochromatic aesthetic in which the subdial rings, indices and hands all matched the polished portions of the case and bracelet and the grey dial matched the brushed portions of the case and bracelet. It had a very similar monochromatic aesthetic to my then-Rolex, which had a grey dial and diamond markers. I knew the grey 26315st was going to be my first AP.

I asked the sales associate how much it costs and if I could buy one, knowing that I couldn’t afford it but wanted to ask any way. She told me it was unavailable that day but, at the time, they had a special type of waitlist where they knew as of the beginning of the year how many allocations of each model they were getting that year and would allow deposits from that number of people. She told me that there was an allocation available for the grey 26315st that year and I could reserve it for a $6,000 deposit. For the next 10 minutes I tried to rationalize paying the deposit and figuring out how to pay the balance once the watch arrived but ultimately I knew it wasn’t the right time and I left the boutique without paying my deposit.

Time went on and during covid I went a little crazy buying, selling, and trying all different watches when it was very easy to buy, try, and sell if I didn’t bond with the watch. I had a few Rolex, a few Omega, and a lot of Panerai. I loved Panerai’s utilitarian history and clean, simple, design language. I loved that they had hundreds of references with unique nuance. I loved the straps and the ability to be creative with the watches and I loved the casual WFH atmosphere that I enjoyed over 2-3 years of remote covid work allowing me to wear these big, bulky, rugged, utilitarian watches that would otherwise not work on my small wrist while wearing a suit and working in corporate America in NYC.

Covid and WFH ended and I found myself back in the office in NYC and found that I was falling out of love with the Panerai because they didn’t work for my lifestyle anymore. I wanted something smaller, more refined, and made with a level of precision and care that I didn’t find in Panerai. I found myself exclusively wearing my Rolex Pepsi GMT. Even on the days that I worked from home and put the Panerai or Omega on in the morning, by lunchtime, I had put the Pepsi back on my wrist. After observing this for a few months, I knew it was time to look for something new that would satisfy my requirements.

I was certain that I was going to buy the new stainless steel Rolex Daytona. Before pulling the trigger on the Daytona, I had a friend push me to consider my grail AP. I almost immediately dismissed that idea knowing I would never get an allocation of the current generation (26715st), and that even if I was comfortable buying from the grey market, I couldn’t afford to pay grey market prices for one. However, the stars aligned and I came across a preowned 26315st from 2021. It was in absolutely mint condition and the owner was willing to sell it. I had it on my wrist in 48 hours and I could not be happier. It still feels surreal to me.

Awesome story. Congrats on the new piece - it's definitely levels above the Daytona. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 09:34 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Beautiful watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 10:10 PM   #5
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this