The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Leaving My Job

Guys,

Tomorrow is the day that I sit down with my boss and let her know that I am leaving the company. A new opportunity has been presented to me that I cannot turn down. As I am not a believer in closing doors or burning bridges, my #1 priority is to leave on good terms. I will be 100% honest about why I am leaving and offer to do everything that I can in order to make my departure as painless as possible (stay 3 weeks, work extended hours, come in on the weekends, train my replacement, etc...).

I know it is silly, but the guilt is definitely hitting hard right now. I love my team and I hate to think about letting them down. I'd hope that they understand and support my decision to leave, but a part of me fears that they'll take it the wrong way. A co-worker left last week so I know that my timing isn't ideal, but given my responsibilities and my involvement in just about everything, I don't think there will ever be a good time for me to leave. I am sure you all can relate.

I never thought I'd feel like this, but here I am. Am I alone?

Best,
Wes
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 01:47 PM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Nope. I think about my people every day when I think about leaving the firm. I have been here for a long time and have built a very good and loyal following but my day will come sooner rather than later as well.

I have a bunch of folks that have said that wherever I go they will go and though I appreciate that it makes my decision even harder. As I feel like it is not just me and my family I have to worry about but my employees and their families as well. Exactly what I need, extra pressure to make the right decision. .

Really makes me do my homework extra hard.

Good luck in your new opportunity Wes. I am sure you will do great and never burn the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 01:49 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You're doing what's best for you and your family. If they don't understand that, then I wouldn't worry about the bridge left behind! Congrats and sounds like you're taking the honorable approach here.
Old 14 October 2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I applaud your integrity and spirit. Your employer must have treated you well and is fortunate to have you.
Congrats in advance on the new opportunity.

Afraid I can't say the same about mine - the type that cuts back on employees to fund/splurge on personal toys and vacations. Last year they denied a new hire's year end bonus on the premise that she was FT for only 11 months as the prior 3 month probation didnt count. Said employer then buys a Benz S Class and Lexus RC F for himself, then goes on a two week Italian getaway.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Congrats on the new opportunity Wes.

I have left for greener pastures several times. A company cannot expect you to be there forever. You are an employee after all, and you own your destiny.

Giving plenty of notice and working an effective transition and continuity plan for your departure is the best you can do when it's time to leave.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Sorry to be cold but in 3 weeks they won't remember you. IMO the only thing that really matters in this life is family and very close friends. I have worked at small and large companies - no one was ever missed for more than a few days after leaving. Take care of your family - that is what matters.

Remember, the king is dead, long live the king.
Wingman244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:01 PM   #7
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

All I can say is- Love your job but don't love your company, because you may not know when your company stops loving you" - Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.

Take the leap man!!
AkshayArgade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:01 PM   #8
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Congrats on the new opportunity.

I have never had a problem leaving a company for a better opportunity but I have felt bad for leaving a boss or two and team members.

I feel like its important to leave on good terms whenever possible and never burn bridges. No matter how large your industry is, it's still a small world.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:02 PM   #9
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Any good manager will not only understand but will support your decision. It's absolutely normal to feel guilty, but managing your own career and developmental growth is priority #1, therefore do not let it get to you.

Cheers and congrats on your new endevor!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 03:11 PM   #10
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

...but given my responsibilities and my involvement in just about everything, I don't think there will ever be a good time for me to leave...
That sentence says it all. No matter when this happens it will be hard on them. So do what YOU have to do and don't look back.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 03:16 PM   #11
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
A good boss will be sad to see a good employee go, but will also encourage that employee to seek better opportunities.

If a boss is sad enough to see an employee go, that boss will start negotiating a better situation in that company.

You're right to keep all options open by leaving on good terms.

Good luck.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Guys,

Tomorrow is the day that I sit down with my boss and let her know that I am leaving the company. A new opportunity has been presented to me that I cannot turn down. As I am not a believer in closing doors or burning bridges, my #1 priority is to leave on good terms. I will be 100% honest about why I am leaving and offer to do everything that I can in order to make my departure as painless as possible (stay 3 weeks, work extended hours, come in on the weekends, train my replacement, etc...).

I know it is silly, but the guilt is definitely hitting hard right now. I love my team and I hate to think about letting them down. I'd hope that they understand and support my decision to leave, but a part of me fears that they'll take it the wrong way. A co-worker left last week so I know that my timing isn't ideal, but given my responsibilities and my involvement in just about everything, I don't think there will ever be a good time for me to leave. I am sure you all can relate.

I never thought I'd feel like this, but here I am. Am I alone?

Best,
Wes
its not silly and you're not alone.

i agree with the love your job and not your company comment and with keeping options open; its a fact of life today and true professionals would accept the non-personal realities.

and, if you didn't feel the way you appear to be feeling - you'd be an asshole.

since you're clearly not an asshole, your boss would hopefully wish you the best as you will likely wish your colleagues.

good luck!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 03:35 PM   #13
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
What if your current employer makes you a very generous offer to stay? Would you consider it or your mind is already made up? I've been in the situation and boy it was tough.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 03:41 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
What if your current employer makes you a very generous offer to stay? Would you consider it or your mind is already made up? I've been in the situation and boy it was tough.
good Q but its been well documented by HRM pros and CEO's that that is only a bandaid solution.

most leave within 12 months of the counter offer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Nope. I think about my people every day when I think about leaving the firm. I have been here for a long time and have built a very good and loyal following but my day will come sooner rather than later as well.

I have a bunch of folks that have said that wherever I go they will go and though I appreciate that it makes my decision even harder. As I feel like it is not just me and my family I have to worry about but my employees and their families as well. Exactly what I need, extra pressure to make the right decision. .

Really makes me do my homework extra hard.

Good luck in your new opportunity Wes. I am sure you will do great and never burn the bridge.

Thanks, Brandon.

Funny you should mention that. When my co-worker left, we had a meeting to discuss his departure. After the meeting, somebody told me that if I leave, they wouldn't know what to do. "Great..." I thought to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You're doing what's best for you and your family. If they don't understand that, then I wouldn't worry about the bridge left behind! Congrats and sounds like you're taking the honorable approach here.
Thanks! I'm trying to. I just hope there are no hard feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I applaud your integrity and spirit. Your employer must have treated you well and is fortunate to have you.
Congrats in advance on the new opportunity.

Afraid I can't say the same about mine - the type that cuts back on employees to fund/splurge on personal toys and vacations. Last year they denied a new hire's year end bonus on the premise that she was FT for only 11 months as the prior 3 month probation didnt count. Said employer then buys a Benz S Class and Lexus RC F for himself, then goes on a two week Italian getaway.
Thank you! My company has been ok. My coworkers have been great.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. That stinks. It sounds like your employer doesn't care about employee retention. That will be very damaging in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Congrats on the new opportunity Wes.

I have left for greener pastures several times. A company cannot expect you to be there forever. You are an employee after all, and you own your destiny.

Giving plenty of notice and working an effective transition and continuity plan for your departure is the best you can do when it's time to leave.
Thanks! Yes, I do believe that most companies know their employees are always looking for the next best thing. Like I said, I will do everything that I can to make my departure painless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman244 View Post
Sorry to be cold but in 3 weeks they won't remember you. IMO the only thing that really matters in this life is family and very close friends. I have worked at small and large companies - no one was ever missed for more than a few days after leaving. Take care of your family - that is what matters.

Remember, the king is dead, long live the king.
LOL. I'd like to think that I've left enough of an impression that people would remember me after 3 weeks, but maybe you're right. Maybe I am not as memorable as I think I am.
Old 14 October 2016, 04:36 PM   #16
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Congrats on the new opportunity and you have got to look to the future for you and your family, moving forward is more rewarding the standing still!

Anyway I'm sure the captain will find a suitable helmsman to replace you
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:38 PM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshayArgade View Post
All I can say is- Love your job but don't love your company, because you may not know when your company stops loving you" - Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.

Take the leap man!!
Very well said. The people make the company, the company does not make the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Congrats on the new opportunity.

I have never had a problem leaving a company for a better opportunity but I have felt bad for leaving a boss or two and team members.

I feel like its important to leave on good terms whenever possible and never burn bridges. No matter how large your industry is, it's still a small world.
Thanks. And you're right. It's a small world indeed. I always try to keep in mind that one wrong move now could bite me in the ass down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Any good manager will not only understand but will support your decision. It's absolutely normal to feel guilty, but managing your own career and developmental growth is priority #1, therefore do not let it get to you.

Cheers and congrats on your new endevor!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I hope you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
That sentence says it all. No matter when this happens it will be hard on them. So do what YOU have to do and don't look back.
Yup, you're right. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
A good boss will be sad to see a good employee go, but will also encourage that employee to seek better opportunities.

If a boss is sad enough to see an employee go, that boss will start negotiating a better situation in that company.

You're right to keep all options open by leaving on good terms.

Good luck.
Thanks, Grady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
its not silly and you're not alone.

i agree with the love your job and not your company comment and with keeping options open; its a fact of life today and true professionals would accept the non-personal realities.

and, if you didn't feel the way you appear to be feeling - you'd be an asshole.

since you're clearly not an asshole, your boss would hopefully wish you the best as you will likely wish your colleagues.

good luck!
Thanks. And if my boss calls me an asshole, then I'll definitely know that I am making the right move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
I don't think so. I know for a fact that my current employer will not match what my new employer is offering. However, for the sake of conversation, assuming my boss went to bat for me and the company makes me a great offer (keep in mind, all offers must be reviewed/approved by the CEO) and I stay, if I ever decide to leave again, my boss will look like a fool. I'd hate to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
good Q but its been well documented by HRM pros and CEO's that that is only a bandaid solution.

most leave within 12 months of the counter offer.
Exactly. I am not opposed to the possibility of coming back one day, but I'll cross that bridge should the day ever come. For now, it's time to go.
Old 14 October 2016, 04:39 PM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Congrats on the new opportunity and you have got to look to the future for you and your family, moving forward is more rewarding the standing still!

Anyway I'm sure the captain will find a suitable helmsman to replace you
Thanks, Sam! And thanks for the laugh.
Old 14 October 2016, 04:43 PM   #19
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
You've thought this through, all terrific answers! All the best in your new venture, which no doubt you will do very well in.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:49 PM   #20
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Thanks, Sam! And thanks for the laugh.
Sorry after reading my post again it could be conceived I was belittling your question with a joke!

I've only ever worked for a small business and that was for a coupe of years before going self-employed when I left it wasn't the smoothest as due to the small size they had to find a replacement very fast and actually didn't want me to work out my notice which didn't really matter as I remember taking a months wages in my first week of being on my own.

Moving forward a few months and they started passing me work and then within a year the two owners fell out and went their separate ways. Both set up similar type of businesses and one again carried on passing me work.

I've been my own boss ever since (until I got married) all I can say is you must keep progressing but it's good to see the manner in which you want to do it rather then dropping them in it so to speak!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:48 PM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Coming from a business owner perspective (albeit a small one) I can tell, just by reading your post, you are the type of employee I would miss.

Good people are the life boood.

But it is your life and you have to do what is best for you.

Do as you say, act with integrity. Even if they are disappointed, they will understand, and respect you for the way you are handling it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:56 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Best of luck in your new opportunity Wes.

As stated above, you have to look out for yourself and do what's best for you and your family. I'm sure your boss will understand.

Don't be surprised if they make you a better offer ... Stranger things have happened and especially in lieu of your colleague leaving. Would you you stay then?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 09:17 PM   #23
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Life is a series of doors closing and others opening. It can be hard, but making these decisions is what advances your career. Best of luck.

It can be scary, but doing it will remain in your memory as a gutsy act. And definitely leave on the best terms you can.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 10:20 PM   #24
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Move on. Don't feel guilty. Anyone who hates on you for leaving for a better opportunity doesnt deserve to have you as an employee anyway.

Dont accept any counter offer. Just my 2 cents.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 11:09 PM   #25
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Like others have said. Once the decision is made, do it. Don't second guess yourself. It's a rarity for someone to spend their entire career at one company these days. Do what's best for you.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 11:17 PM   #26
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Like others have said. Once the decision is made, do it. Don't second guess yourself. It's a rarity for someone to spend their entire career at one company these days. Do what's best for you.
indeed, unless you make it to the tippy top.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 11:19 PM   #27
77T

Leaving My Job

Are you leaving to go with a competing firm?
Was a GM at a company with strict policy: if one left for a competitor = immediate departure.
Nobody took it wrong and it actually helped morale as everyone pitched-in to bridge the gap. No moping around or "sorry you're leaving" remorse.

It sounds cold but worked best for all involved. We would gather at a bar for a farewell that night and then hit the desks hard the next AM.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 12:02 AM   #28
ezmarr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Congrats on the new opportunity! I'm in the same boat as you. I put my 3 week notice in 2 weeks ago. The bosses were shocked because that's 4 people that have left in the last month. They even asked me what they personally need to do to retain people. I wasn't shy about my thoughts. They haven't even posted my position yet so I don't have a replacement to train. I've been instructed to make notes on EVERYTHING that I do. It's been a tedious task but, like you, don't want to burn bridges so am doing my best. Hang in there and good luck in the new position!
ezmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 12:08 AM   #29
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
congratulations on the new opportunity ,, nice to see some one doing the right thing , in both moving on for personal betterment , and in respect of the company your leaving ,
good luck in the future.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 12:20 AM   #30
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congrats on the new opportunity, Wes Not much can be added to all that was said above really. All the best to you
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote