The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 2011, 12:52 PM   #31
Trev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 2599.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKtoter View Post
I beg to differ.
I'll be calling to police and telling them the coroner should show up too.
Unfortunately in some countries, defending yourself (regardless of the tool) means you've committed a greater crime than your attacker/thief.
Old 28 May 2011, 01:33 PM   #32
LWRN
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO/SubC
It is unfortunate that things like this happen and even more unfortunate that they will continue to happen, and can happen anywhere at anytime.
IMO valuable personal property, cars, houses, expensive wristwatches etc. should be insured. If an assailant brandishes a handgun, hand over the merchandise, file a police report and insurance claim.
Now, if said assailant does the exact same moves as your training partner in your quasi- seal team 6, mall ninja training class, then you may choose to do the moves you were taught, disarm the bloke and call the coroner.
But, this is not the old west, attackers don't usually say to you, O.K. when the clock strikes the third bell, we'll both draw and the winner takes the Rolex. Some watch too many movies. There is a big difference in being brave, being a coward, being smart, and being daft. Fin
Old 28 May 2011, 01:33 PM   #33
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Unfortunately in some countries, defending yourself (regardless of the tool) means you've committed a greater crime than your attacker/thief.
esp true here down under! but ill leave that for another thread at another time.

its all about looking at the situation, and how to deal with it. as my uncle once said, thieves value your life less than the watch. so if they are gonna have to knock you for it, they will. often in cases like this, the thugs will whack first, ask later. these are not civilised people.
Old 28 May 2011, 01:35 PM   #34
Z06

Watch: 116713 - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKtoter View Post
I beg to differ.
I'll be calling to police and telling them the coroner should show up too.
Yup, me too...if they want my watch, they can meet my 45...and say good bye
Old 28 May 2011, 01:41 PM   #35
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRN View Post
It is unfortunate that things like this happen and even more unfortunate that they will continue to happen, and can happen anywhere at anytime.
IMO valuable personal property, cars, houses, expensive wristwatches etc. should be insured. If an assailant brandishes a handgun, hand over the merchandise, file a police report and insurance claim.
Now, if said assailant does the exact same moves as your training partner in your quasi- seal team 6, mall ninja training class, then you may choose to do the moves you were taught, disarm the bloke and call the coroner.
But, this is not the old west, attackers don't usually say to you, O.K. when the clock strikes the third bell, we'll both draw and the winner takes the Rolex. Some watch too many movies. There is a big difference in being brave, being a coward, being smart, and being daft. Fin
Well said...
Old 28 May 2011, 01:53 PM   #36
roleyrolz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
At some point society has to push back...
Your absolutey right if were getting finacially mugged by bankers and doing nothing, the least we can do is is fight back when we get phyiscally mugged by thieves

Just remember this quote " Better to Die on your feet then Live on your Knees."
Old 28 May 2011, 02:35 PM   #37
akiruno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100% true in Japan…found out the hard way
Old 28 May 2011, 02:39 PM   #38
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
So, a watch is worth a human life to all of you? Even a pathetic creature like a mugger?

I would certainly fight back and probably prevail should my health and/or life be truly threatened. If the watch makes them go away....that's why I have insurance and even if not, I have more than enough wealth to always buy more watches... LOTS more. The point is that I do not want to not enjoy my wealth because I would not let go of $5 K to $14K worth of Rolex and was killed.

BTW... I don't want the Karma of killing someone over any personal property. I am exceptionally well trained in lethal force confrontations and usually well armed when out and about. I have CCW permits what permit me Concealed Carry 46 states. IMHO all you "armchair vigilantes" clearly are thinking with the small head not the big one... Going to a gun store, buying a gun and going to a square range and shooting paper has so little to do with correct combative mindset and ability to effectively use your weapon and take a human life, particularly a life that has experience in the application of violence and the "jump" on you... GROW UP all you gun owning little boys. Best also not forget that many times, as in traveling abroad, you will not have a gun or even a knife (how many of you actually KNOW how to defend and respond to a knife?)

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
Old 28 May 2011, 02:45 PM   #39
Trev
"TRF" Member

Wow, this one will end up locked in a hurry.
Old 28 May 2011, 02:52 PM   #40
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Wow, this one will end up locked in a hurry.

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
Old 28 May 2011, 02:57 PM   #41
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
If you are not able and willing to calmly hand over your watch to a mugger then you are WEARING A WATCH YOU CAN NOT AFFORD. The watch clearly means too much too you...beyond what a watch you can afford should mean to you in a life threatening situation.
yeah i dont know about this. obviously the watch is not worth your life. but the idea of someone just taking something from you would drive anyone nuts.
Old 28 May 2011, 03:06 PM   #42
Trev
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do they sell anything but Panerai in Italy?
Perhaps that's why he was particularly concerned about giving up his Rolex? :)
Old 28 May 2011, 03:24 PM   #43
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

No Rolex watch will ever come close to a value of a human life.

I also did mention, that not letting go of your Rolex doesn't mean you can't afford a Rolex.

I'll say it again, others and I refuse to be a victim.

It's a really a mix of both sides and both views are correct. Maybe, the guy was going to shoot the Mr. Mendoza whether he gave it up or not. Who knows?

I just didn't agree on what newportkrieger said about not being able to afford one gibberish...

BTW... I'm currently serving in the Armed Forces right now too... I don't know why a member brought that up before but I thought I'd share as well...... ok.
Old 28 May 2011, 03:35 PM   #44
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
No Rolex watch will ever come close to a value of a human life.

I also did mention, that not letting go of your Rolex doesn't mean you can't afford a Rolex.

I'll say it again, others and I refuse to be a victim.

It's a really a mix of both sides and both views are correct. Maybe, the guy was going to shoot the Mr. Mendoza whether he gave it up or not. Who knows?

I just didn't agree on what newportkrieger said about not being able to afford one gibberish...

BTW... I'm currently serving in the Armed Forces right now too... I don't know why a member brought that up before but I thought I'd share as well...... ok.
yeah i didnt really agree with newportkriegers comment either. WTF does giving up or not giving up your watch have to do with if you can afford it.
Old 28 May 2011, 05:13 PM   #45
CFUSION

Its funny to hear peoples responses to this kind of tragedy. Think about it in real life for a minute though. Most people are not even aware they are getting mugged when they are infact being mugged. If you are walking down the street and I walk up to you and say give me your watch, are you just going to take it off and hand it to me? Doubt it. Now If I have a gun you will, or if I have a knife but what if I have nothing but my fist. I bet you will just look at me until I punch you out or in this case push you to the ground so you hit your head. Fact is most people think its a joke until they get injured or killed then its real. People rarely hand over their valuables unless there is a weapon and muggers rarely use weapons now a days because it adds 10 to life on the sentence. No, people that are willing to mug you can almost certainly kick the crap out of you or they would not try it in the first place. So its not a matter of this guy was a hero, or an idiot. He probably thought it was all a joke as most victims do. What happened to him was not his fault. He did not have a choice of the Rolex or his life, he only had the choice of the rolex. Most would say no.
Old 28 May 2011, 05:20 PM   #46
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFUSION View Post
Its funny to hear peoples responses to this kind of tragedy. Think about it in real life for a minute though. Most people are not even aware they are getting mugged when they are infact being mugged. If you are walking down the street and I walk up to you and say give me your watch, are you just going to take it off and hand it to me? Doubt it. Now If I have a gun you will, or if I have a knife but what if I have nothing but my fist. I bet you will just look at me until I punch you out or in this case push you to the ground so you hit your head. Fact is most people think its a joke until they get injured or killed then its real. People rarely hand over their valuables unless there is a weapon and muggers rarely use weapons now a days because it adds 10 to life on the sentence. No, people that are willing to mug you can almost certainly kick the crap out of you or they would not try it in the first place. So its not a matter of this guy was a hero, or an idiot. He probably thought it was all a joke as most victims do. What happened to him was not his fault. He did not have a choice of the Rolex or his life, he only had the choice of the rolex. Most would say no.
Well said.
Old 28 May 2011, 05:23 PM   #47
roleyrolz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFUSION View Post
Your absolutely right These muggers were cowards. They beat a 66 year old man I bet they would'nt have pulled that shit when he was 20 years Younger strongarmed robbers are such bitchs they only go after the weak and old. It's so sad I mean your taught to protect the elderly and people that are weak. They probaly rushed him from behind then demanded his watch he fought back probaly sliped and then well. At least he fought back though these people will always be thought of as cowards.But the victim will always be though of as a Man.
Old 28 May 2011, 05:59 PM   #48
s.justinlee
"TRF" Member

sad story.
tragic that a man lost his life over a watch.
hope his family can find peace.
Closed Thread