The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 April 2024, 03:46 AM   #61
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
It is worth noting that to qualify for the Rolex CPO program, the watch has to be at least three years old. This takes the flipper argument out of the equation.

I, for one, am considering the CPO program for a TT DJ w/Jubilee. On the new ones (12 series) the clasp is the standard bulky one, however on the old model (11 series) the clasp is the more subtle hidden one. I prefer the older/11 series model over the new one.

Anyone looking for an older DJ knows there are plenty available, but it is difficult to tell the condition (on-line), if there have been internal modifications, or know if the watch is stolen. Additionally, many preowned DJ for sale do not have B&P.

Especially with models on jubilee bracelet, bracelet stretch is a big issue. CPO models are prescreened to filter these out.

In my experience, buying a preowned watch has usually necessitated sending in the watch for service anyway. For these reasons, I expect to buy this DJ from a CPO program. From what I can tell, the prices of this older/not current model is competitive with buying the newer model.

Knowing it is authentic, not stolen, with B&P and a 2 year warranty is worth it, even if it may cost a couple extra bucks.
Be careful. The CPO pics are not great and some are way over polished, have replacement hands, etc. But not obvious til carefully inspected in hand. CPO is not a silver bullet. I’d still rather buy from a solid vintage dealer like Jacek.
Old 16 April 2024, 03:56 AM   #62
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
CPO Chicanery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Comparing the CPO program to Rape. Is something. And pretending that you were really using an obscure definition is a real incel thing to do.

In a world where grey dealers are selling used watches over MSRP, why on earth shouldn’t Rolex do it too? It’s unclear to my why Bob’s Watches and David SW make that surplus and not Rolex?

These are not live saving pharmaceuticals. Feel free to walk away.

Thank you for validating my feelings. The CPO program is available to those who want the extra security of buying a watch that has been authenticated, serviced, and warranted. To some, that’s worth the cost. No one is forced to buy any Rolex, from any seller. So, I don’t see a problem.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #63
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I have always wondered how scam artists and thieves continue their dirty deeds and sleep well at night . I guess just as well as Rolex Ad’s and their sales associates as they push Rolex cpo watches for thousands over msrp when they have brand new watches in the back . Taking advantage of unknowing customers with a glad hand and a smile . Baby needs to eat .
The stuff out back is on hand for whales like me to pick and choose as and when they fancy a change. CPO is for "the others". you'll be a whale one day.
Old 16 April 2024, 07:43 AM   #64
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Caveat Emptor. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 16 April 2024, 07:58 AM   #65
Bob-a-Job
"TRF" Member

Could somebody please educate me, and tell me the meaning of 'whale', used in dannyboy123's context, above?
Old 16 April 2024, 08:15 AM   #66
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-Job View Post
Could somebody please educate me, and tell me the meaning of 'whale', used in dannyboy123's context, above?

Can’t tell if this is serious, but Whale is a big spender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2024, 08:16 AM   #67
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-Job View Post
A "whale" is a long-term customer who buys a lot of watches and is also a good depository for ADs to place expensive harder to move pieces with. A whale regularly flaunts his conquests at the AD and goes to all the AD events with a wowzah watch on bought from the AD.
Old 16 April 2024, 10:40 AM   #68
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
A "whale" is a long-term customer who buys a lot of watches and is also a good depository for ADs to place expensive harder to move pieces with. A whale regularly flaunts his conquests at the AD and goes to all the AD events with a wowzah watch on bought from the AD.

That’s a good definition. I’ve always thought of a whale as someone who has so much money and influence, that he can buy whatever he wants, whenever he wants from an AD. I think of that YouTube video of Kevin O’Leary walking out of the Rolex Boutique showing off his puzzle watch. He’s a whale!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2024, 10:49 AM   #69
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I ran a very successful business for many years before I sold and retired . Rape was not one of my tenets .

Can I have your DSSD for what you paid for it?
What year did you buy it? Will you sell it to me for less than you paid? It's a used watch and new ones are plentiful!

If not, why not?
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 16 April 2024, 10:52 AM   #70
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
Look at Tourneau. They are Rolex. They will sell a used BLNR to one poor sap for way more than the new one they manufacture and have in inventory and sell to someone else. That is not a free market. In a free market, both would sell for the same amount.

OP has a very solid point.
Wow, I wasn't aware that Tourneau and other AD's are pulling people in off the streets and forcing them to buy Rolex. I feel like the States Attorney General should be made aware of this perplexing trade practice.

Free Market = "Price should be fixed and mandated"
That is a heck of a hot take
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 16 April 2024, 11:37 AM   #71
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
Wow, I wasn't aware that Tourneau and other AD's are pulling people in off the streets and forcing them to buy Rolex. I feel like the States Attorney General should be made aware of this perplexing trade practice.

Free Market = "Price should be fixed and mandated"
That is a heck of a hot take
Nice try.
Old 16 April 2024, 11:40 AM   #72
themacman
"TRF" Member

A lot of CPO apologists in here.

Rolex having a pre owned program is not a problem, imo. Every auto brand does.

What is wrong though is the price they are charging. Yes, they have to often pay more than RRP to obtain the watches, yes, they do service, but still, they are so far over "market prices" it is laughable.

https://www.tourneau.com/rolex-certi...owned-watches/

And it does leave a nasty taste in the customers mouth to be pushed towards these watches, while the AD plays games with you to get a new one.

They need to drop prices quick to keep up with the market.
Old 16 April 2024, 12:36 PM   #73
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacman View Post
A lot of CPO apologists in here.

Rolex having a pre owned program is not a problem, imo. Every auto brand does.

What is wrong though is the price they are charging. Yes, they have to often pay more than RRP to obtain the watches, yes, they do service, but still, they are so far over "market prices" it is laughable.

https://www.tourneau.com/rolex-certi...owned-watches/

And it does leave a nasty taste in the customers mouth to be pushed towards these watches, while the AD plays games with you to get a new one.

They need to drop prices quick to keep up with the market.

If these watches are well above market then they won’t sell. If they want to sell them, they will have to drop the prices, since no one has to buy a watch. Seems easy.

Old 16 April 2024, 12:43 PM   #74
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If these watches are well above market then they won’t sell. If they want to sell them, they will have to drop the prices, since no one has to buy a watch. Seems easy.

If the market is so high, they should raise MSRP to market price on new watches. That also seems easy.

But they won’t, and there is a good reason for not doing so. It’s because they know the watches are not worth that long term, this was a bubble, and it would backfire. This is a way to try to have their cake and eat it too, but those that are not blind see right through it and it will leave a bad taste for years to come.
Old 16 April 2024, 12:56 PM   #75
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
If the market is so high, they should raise MSRP to market price on new watches. That also seems easy.

But they won’t, and there is a good reason for not doing so. It’s because they know the watches are not worth that long term, this was a bubble, and it would backfire. This is a way to try to have their cake and eat it too, but those that are not blind see right through it and it will leave a bad taste for years to come.

They could do that, yes. But then when the market corrects they would have to lower prices, which most luxury companies don’t want to do. So they keep their MSRPs relatively stable and use the CPO program as a way to respond to the market. If the used market crashes, I imagine you’ll be able to get a CPO below. MSRP.

It’s not the most efficient from a pure economics standpoint, but as a luxury company? I’m sure they are concerned with more than just pure economics.

And of course they are trying to have their cake and eat it too. Rolex and the ADs are not charities. Of course they are trying to maximize the amount of money they make. Why would I begrudge a business that sells a non-essential product, of trying to make money.

The only people who are upset are people who feel they are entitled to a watch. I don’t feel this way.

Old 16 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #76
Captain Lee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
CPO haters and retail incels act like Rolex is selling insulin. It’s just a watch, you don’t need it. Grow up and buy something else.

And it’s true that words have multiple meanings. Take the word Obtuse for instance as it applies to you. Context also has meaning.
I'm not obtuse, I simply understand context. By using your logic, the context of the offending "r" word was about price gouging so anyone with a functioning frontal cortex and a fifth grade reading level would know a violent assault was not being discussed. Also, I don't appreciate being called an "incel". Ironic you would use a trope like that. Says a lot about you. Cheers!
Closed Thread