The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2024, 12:26 PM   #1
JRique
"TRF" Member

Wire prior getting the piece, explorer, Miami AD.

Hi guys,

I live outside US but go there few times yearly to do some business, an AD in Miami offered a Explorer 36 but I have to do a wire in full prior getting the watch, as I understood they don't have it in stock yet but will be getting soon.

Would you do it? I should be able to go Miami next month and collect it. The AD is a well stablished brand.
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:29 PM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Personally I wouldn’t give them anything for a watch that isn’t in their hands. Anything can happen to a watch they’re “getting soon.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:30 PM   #3
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
If you want the watch I would do it. It’s not uncommon to want the payment upfront.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:47 PM   #4
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Why so secretive? If we knew the company we could comment on the safety of your funds.

Anyways you could probably get one cheaper buying a new stickered piece from a second hand dealer. I'd go pre owned though
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:49 PM   #5
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If it's not a trusted seller listed on TRF tell us who it is.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:00 PM   #6
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

It sounds like it’s a well established AD. I don’t see an issue with doing a full wire transfer.

With that said, if you don’t have an existing relationship with the AD, I would ask via email or text what is the expected timeframe and to confirm you can get the money back if it doesn’t come. Then you at least have it written that the wire is fully refundable and they don’t pull some stuff later. Generally the worse I’ve heard is that a SA keeps the buyer on the hook (watch doesn’t come but keeps saying it will) and then tries to change the watch being delivered to something else.

I don’t see that happening with an Explorer 36 in the current market from a well established Rolex AD tho
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:16 PM   #7
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
i'd ask them to send me a purchase invoice for the watch, along with an eta.
in exchange, i'd wire them a reasonable deposit. when they have the
watch in their possession, i'd ask for photos showing the model/serial number
engraved on the watch and the warranty card. at that point i'd wire the balance owing.
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 04:30 PM   #8
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
A self-respecting AD would not accept, let alone ask for, funds in advance on a watch they do not actually have in their possession.
With that said, I would have zero issues wiring the full amount for a watch actually in the AD's possession against an emailed receipt and then picked up at my convenience. Actually done that a few times.
Old 11 February 2024, 05:10 PM   #9
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Op said it’s a well established AD. That being the case, I don’t see a problem. I might rather pay with a credit card, though, just for added protection. I am assuming, OP, you have the same buyer protection when paying with a credit card, as we do here. Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 05:12 PM   #10
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
A self-respecting AD would not accept, let alone ask for, funds in advance on a watch they do not actually have in their possession.
With that said, I would have zero issues wiring the full amount for a watch actually in the AD's possession against an emailed receipt and then picked up at my convenience. Actually done that a few times.

It’s not that uncommon. We’ve heard this same story more than a few times.

Kat

Old 11 February 2024, 05:40 PM   #11
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would do it in a heartbeat if that's really the watch you want, but try to get a sense on when it would be delivered.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 05:49 PM   #12
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It’s not that uncommon. We’ve heard this same story more than a few times.

Kat

Indeed we have, Kat. But what if the AD went out of business or lost status? And why offer them free cash flow without any guarantee whatsoever as to when you will be receiving the watch?
Old 11 February 2024, 05:50 PM   #13
xrole
"TRF" Member

While I have never had to do it, I would insist on getting a receipt and proof of purchase. Outside of buying watches, pre-payments and pre-orders are very common so I don't see a big problem with it, even if it is uncommon in the watch world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Why so secretive? If we knew the company we could comment on the safety of your funds.
Some AD's will undoubtedly read TRF and may out of sheer pettiness object to being discussed like this. OP is clearly just covering his ass and already said its a well-respected AD so what more do you need?
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 05:54 PM   #14
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Depends on how OP was communicating with the AD, if it’s via emails or text, I would worry about hacks or cyber security fraud. I would at least call their main to confirm that you’re really dealing with such AD.
Old 11 February 2024, 11:33 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do it for that watch. You are out of the country and would also possibly have issues with applicable taxes when you bring the watch home. Too complicated for that watch. Why not just contact one of our Trusted Sellers who has the watch in hand and get your best price and pay and have the watch shipped to you. The AD is still going to charge you tax on the watch so figure that into the overall cost. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:35 PM   #16
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would not do it for that watch. You are out of the country and would also possibly have issues with applicable taxes when you bring the watch home. Too complicated for that watch. Why not just contact one of our Trusted Sellers who has the watch in hand and get your best price and pay and have the watch shipped to you. The AD is still going to charge you tax on the watch so figure that into the overall cost. Good luck.
Exactly +1
2001jesper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:36 PM   #17
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The most I have had to pay up front on a future watch has been 20%.
Knowing it was a very, very large AD, I had no issues worrying about their future status.
Old 11 February 2024, 11:37 PM   #18
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If it's a watch you want and from an AD, then sure.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 03:33 AM   #19
JRique
"TRF" Member

Update: They actually have the watch in stock, can I ask for a purchase invoice prior doing the wire?
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 03:38 AM   #20
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I'd have no issue with full payment if they sent a formal invoice reflecting the pending purchase - as long as they are a registered AD.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 03:54 AM   #21
KatGirl

Yes, of course ask for the invoice, and then an immediate receipt, showing prepayment, and that you are to pick it up, with your proof of prepayment. It sounds like you have a relationship with this AD, so I don’t see a downside.

Kat

Old 13 February 2024, 05:04 AM   #22
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRique View Post
Update: They actually have the watch in stock, can I ask for a purchase invoice prior doing the wire?
Absolutely go for it, OP. Congrats!
Old 13 February 2024, 05:22 AM   #23
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Buy the seller!

If there's doubt just buy from someone else, you're not looking at a particularly hard to get watch. I can't imagine there's a big price difference among other ADs.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 06:01 AM   #24
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
Buy the seller!

If there's doubt just buy from someone else, you're not looking at a particularly hard to get watch. I can't imagine there's a big price difference among other ADs.

OP is buying from a Rolex AD, so price should be, as stated, on Rolex, USA website.

Kat

Old 13 February 2024, 06:36 AM   #25
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

Lots of wire fraud these days thru hacked legit emails. Verbally confirm the wire instructions by you calling a phone number you verify first, not AD calling you.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 06:43 AM   #26
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC
"Lots of wire fraud these days thru hacked legit emails. Verbally confirm the wire instructions by you calling a phone number you verify first, not AD calling you."

Yes. This is very very important. We heard of this more often now. YOU call THEM on their correct number and confirm. Anyway, why are you not telling us who this is?? I see this as a BIG problem.

Even if you are buying from our trusted DAVIDSW you should call them to be sure it is in fact THEM.

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:34 AM   #27
Flipmarine2k
"TRF" Member

Was in this situation with an AD. Had a no date sub but had to wire first. I had no problem being they were an actual AD. I say send it if have actual delivery date

👑: 16710-GMT Master II, 16622- Yachtmaster, 18038 Day-Date, 216570 Exp II- Black, 116000 OP Red Grape, 16570 Explorer II Polar, 16750 GMT Master, 124060 Submariner, 16610LV Kermit, 116523 White Panda Racing Dial; Omega SMPc Tokyo, speedy 1861 Sapphire 🛡️: BB58 gilt. Cartier: WSSA0037 Santos ADLC Grey
Flipmarine2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 12:37 PM   #28
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
"Lots of wire fraud these days thru hacked legit emails. Verbally confirm the wire instructions by you calling a phone number you verify first, not AD calling you."

Yes. This is very very important. We heard of this more often now. YOU call THEM on their correct number and confirm. Anyway, why are you not telling us who this is?? I see this as a BIG problem.

Even if you are buying from our trusted DAVIDSW you should call them to be sure it is in fact THEM.

Ali

This scenario hadn’t occurred to me, so yes, do call the AD, at their verified phone number, and ask to speak to the name you were given, via text, or email, and verify the details. If all is well, ask for an invoice first, on their letterhead, and a paid receipt, after, that states you can pick up the watch, upon showing up with said receipt. There are two details that I find potentially troubling. 1. Why they didn’t offer this opportunity to someone in Miami (in the country). 2. They said the watch was expected, and now suddenly, they have it. Just be really careful. Do your due diligence. Once you are sure all is well, then go for it.

Kat

Old 13 February 2024, 12:59 PM   #29
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The whole thing seems really bizarre OP. Any AD in Miami could and would sell the explorer locally in minutes. Yet they’re having you wire money and fly in from Brazil to seemingly collect a watch? Furthermore, they’re taking a prepaid wire from you?

I would be very intrigued to know which “reputable AD” this is. It can’t be Mayors since this practice isn’t permitted. Kirks Jewelers? No chance.

That leaves Tourneau or Bucherer…

Please be very careful of phishing or other scams that masquerade as legitimate businesses and align their proposals with known travels and captured web browsing
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 12:42 AM   #30
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
OP who’s the AD?

Never heard AD from US shipping over seas for any rolex let along in US.
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote