The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2023, 08:43 AM   #1
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
IS love better the second time around ???

IS love better the second time around? LOL
I have been off the forum for a while because I decided to get out of Rolex. I picked up a lovely Lange but I came to realize that the poor thing was too delicate to be a daily after I was used to the tanks that Rolex makes.
So… I traded it for the EXACT SAME WATCH I got from the AD last year. The 228206 with the smooth bezel. I had to go grey because the 228206 smooth bezel is now discontinued.

I have to say I REALLY missed it. EVEN though I had one with the meteorite dial for a while. I missed the pop of color from the ice blue dial and the way the light plays off the white romans. I am SO THRILLED now to have that reference back. AND.. I wonder WHY I didnt keep it ! I guess my head was SO filled with thoughts of the meteorite dial…. I just did NOT appreciate the ice blue dial on the one I had.

ANYWAY….. YES Love is better the second time around…. at least for me. lol
How many of you have sold a watch and bought it back again ?
First time I have EVER done this and I am SO PLEASED to have it back !
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 09:33 AM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC2 View Post
I have been off the forum for a while because I decided to get out of Rolex. I picked up a lovely Lange but I came to realize that the poor thing was too delicate to be a daily after I was used to the tanks that Rolex makes.
So… I traded it for the EXACT SAME WATCH I got from the AD last year. The 228206 with the smooth bezel. I had to go grey because the 228206 smooth bezel is now discontinued.

I have to say I REALLY missed it. EVEN though I had one with the meteorite dial for a while. I missed the pop of color from the ice blue dial and the way the light plays off the white romans. I am SO THRILLED now to have that reference back. AND.. I wonder WHY I didnt keep it ! I guess my head was SO filled with thoughts of the meteorite dial…. I just did NOT appreciate the ice blue dial on the one I had.

Way too many times to count - I’ve done this with multiple Rolex references as well as a few Patek references. It’s all part of the journey.

Enjoy the 228206! It’s a beautiful watch.
Old 5 November 2023, 10:29 AM   #3
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:

I’m on my third Seiko green Alpinist. I picked up the last one, brand new, on Amazon, just before it was discontinued, and the price skyrocketed. If you know anything about Seiko, you know this particular watch.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:57 AM   #4
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Way too many times to count - I’ve done this with multiple Rolex references as well as a few Patek references. It’s all part of the journey.

Enjoy the 228206! It’s a beautiful watch.
WOW ! Can you tell me why you sold them and what made you come BACK to the SAME watch again ?
Old 5 November 2023, 11:59 AM   #5
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I’m on my third Seiko green Alpinist. I picked up the last one, brand new, on Amazon, just before it was discontinued, and the price skyrocketed. If you know anything about Seiko, you know this particular watch.

Kat

OMG ! KAT ! you had THREE green Alpinist !!! Yes I know the watch... WHY did you sell the second one? What brought you back to the THIRD ONE ! lol
Old 5 November 2023, 12:00 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Been there done that
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 12:34 PM   #7
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Yep, Been there, Done that. But with a Omega though. I happened to be lucky enough to get the exact same watch back. Knew better but let it go the first time. Learned my lesson and will never repeat that mistake again.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 01:19 PM   #8
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Been there done that
OK so tell me which watches and why you came back to them ?
Old 5 November 2023, 01:20 PM   #9
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Yep, Been there, Done that. But with a Omega though. I happened to be lucky enough to get the exact same watch back. Knew better but let it go the first time. Learned my lesson and will never repeat that mistake again.
Yes... Lucky to get the exact same watch back. lesson definitely learned.
Old 5 November 2023, 01:24 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You asking me this is like asking Homer Simpson at the bar if beer tastes good. I have lost track of the rebuys but my thought is I tend to do it more with Rolex because they come and go pain free typically.
Old 5 November 2023, 01:32 PM   #11
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You asking me this is like asking Homer Simpson at the bar if beer tastes good. I have lost track of the rebuys but my thought is I tend to do it more with Rolex because they come and go pain free typically.
I dont know why this fascinates me so much... but I am so curious as to why someone would buy the exact same watch again and again.

What generally makes you come back to a piece you had let go of? ... and the same piece MORE than once?
Old 5 November 2023, 01:37 PM   #12
AllHerMovements
"TRF" Member

Yes! I’ve bought and sold the Milgauss Black GV three times! I can’t explain why exactly. I convince myself that I don’t like it and then once I sell it I think it’s perfectly weird and the only Rolex that represents my personality. I have it now and I fear some day it might be on the chopping block yet again. Because I’m crazy.
AllHerMovements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 03:37 PM   #13
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHerMovements View Post
Yes! I’ve bought and sold the Milgauss Black GV three times! I can’t explain why exactly. I convince myself that I don’t like it and then once I sell it I think it’s perfectly weird and the only Rolex that represents my personality. I have it now and I fear some day it might be on the chopping block yet again. Because I’m crazy.
WOW ! LOL Thanks for sharing that.
THREE times ! And I thought it was weird that I did it once. I hope this time
it sticks for you. The black Milgauss is a great piece !
Old 5 November 2023, 04:46 PM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I traded a Breitling which wasn't getting much wrist time towards a Sky Dweller. I regret doing it to this day although I don't regret buying the Sky Dweller. This small taste of sadness plus all the stories of regret, and tales of going in circles being part if the arc, have successfully dissuaded me from going that route again. I have given a few away to family - none of them Rolex (yet).
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 11:42 PM   #15
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
IS love better the second time around ???

Quote:
OMG ! KAT ! you had THREE green Alpinist !!! Yes I know the watch... WHY did you sell the second one? What brought you back to the THIRD ONE ! lol

It seemed like a good idea at the time…. Definitely staying permanently, this time.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:09 AM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch. I have moved watches around and bough the same models multiple times. No issue for me as I do as I please as long as it works financially.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:23 AM   #17
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Been there done that
I did this fairly early on in my rolex journey - but learned from it, so I have not replicated that mistake again.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 04:40 AM   #18
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It seemed like a good idea at the time…. Definitely staying permanently, this time.

Kat

So interesting. lol I can't imagine selling AGAIN and then BUYING the same watch yet AGAIN. LOL No matter.... as long as you are satisfied now. lol
Old 6 November 2023, 04:44 AM   #19
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great watch. I have moved watches around and bough the same models multiple times. No issue for me as I do as I please as long as it works financially.
There is NO financial question here... of course you can do as you please. lol.

It's more about WHY the SAME watch over and over again? What are you seeing in the same watch that you didn't see before the second or THIRD time you bought it? ... or sold it ? THAT is the curiosity for me.

Maybe there is no answer to this.
Old 6 November 2023, 04:49 AM   #20
DAC2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I traded a Breitling which wasn't getting much wrist time towards a Sky Dweller. I regret doing it to this day although I don't regret buying the Sky Dweller. This small taste of sadness plus all the stories of regret, and tales of going in circles being part if the arc, have successfully dissuaded me from going that route again. I have given a few away to family - none of them Rolex (yet).
I understand that. I regret that I traded my original 228206 from the AD and now.... to get it again.... I had to buy it from the grey market( pre-owned)
It's a great piece and nearly perfect ...but it will never be ALL mine like the original one from the AD was.
Silly... I know.... but whatever.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 6 November 2023, 05:36 AM   #21
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
Yes, I have done this. I (stupidly) traded my rose gold Cartier Ballon Bleu to a jeweler for a 36mm 18238, and then decided I missed my large watch. I re-traded it. It cost me about $4,500 in the shuffle, so I just thought of that as my "rental fee" for the 9 months I had the Day-Date. One of my better financial moves, no, but I won't sell that watch again!

Congrats on getting the baby back.
Old 6 November 2023, 01:19 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I dont know why this fascinates me so much... but I am so curious as to why someone would buy the exact same watch again and again.

What generally makes you come back to a piece you had let go of? ... and the same piece MORE than once?

Boredom I suppose. Very low cost of ownership with hype Rolex models. The typical reason for selling would be because I’m adding a more interesting HH piece and rebuying because I’m bored and want something to knock around with over vacation etc