The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #121
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
22,700 USD
I think also as its platinum, polishing it gives it that extra touch of luxury, and helps to explain how they will sell this significant price difference.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:50 AM   #122
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Xerxes77;8185162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
I have to say. My day has been made. I badly wanted another chrono to go with my Speedy Pro.

Rolex is asleep at the wheel with their dainty daytona ceramic(38.5mm to be exact)

AP 42mm chrono w ceramic bezel? count me in. Sold.

Next? 2019? Ceramic bezel Diver. MMMM

Next 2019 new movement with no problems like now with chrono module!

Agree here, though the ceramic daytona definitely does wear like its 40mm...the RO 42 feels more like 44 on the other hand.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:53 AM   #123
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I was hoping for a new 42 ROO with ceramic bezel, or at least a larger non-modular movement.... one can dream right

Love the RD2, new Jumbo, and even the camo 44 ROO. Sadly that’s it for this year.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:12 AM   #124
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
You’re not the only one lol. The black one does have black and red but the slate Greg appears to have a grey rubber strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:17 AM   #125
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

FWIW - my two cents, I've found my ROC TI/PT to have a lot more resistance to desk diving and hairline scratches on the TI links. Almost none to this point on any of the TI links.

Mirror polish bezel definitely has more noticeable hairline scratches - though it is my daily and I wear under a button down shirt.
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:19 AM   #126
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Thats where i was, now i've gone from 4 AP's to 1.

My take is we bash Hublot here a lot, but lets look at it another way. Hublot is aspiring to be more than they are and are punching above their weight. They are hungry and on the rise and you cant really fault them for that.

AP is being lazy and recycling too many ideas and calling it something new. They are declining.

Of the two brands and seeing their trajectories, I would rather be Hublot. I really would. Hublot is the one coming out with fresh ideas. I dont like a lot of them, but they are doing it. AP is getting by on reputation, not substance and that isnt going to last without some major shakeups. Im speaking to their mainstream pieces not their uber expensive complications.
It pains me a little inside to admit that I agree with you. I have been a huge AP fan my entire watch collecting life, but the lustre is wearing off on me quickly after having quality issues with a few. Not too thrilled about this colouring book row they're on, and lack of imagination (Ti/PT on the RO line but nothing really new of note.)

I went from 5 APs earlier this year to 1 now, and my enthusiasm to add another has never been lower, with the exception of the 15202IP.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:48 AM   #127
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
diver, RG 44, and Ti 44 all went since late Aug. RG just went yesterday. The new 44 with the green bezel and cammo strap sealed the deal when i saw the direction. The purple diver alleviated any sellers remorse. Still like the RO line a lot. The ROO has just gone too far off the deep end for me
Oh yeah forgot about the Diver, can understand if you are gravitating towards PP but personally wouldn’t move away from a brand based on certain releases!

Hopefully you find what you are looking for in PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
22,700 USD
Thanks mate, guessed based on that the 15202IP will be just shy of £30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmandk View Post
FWIW - my two cents, I've found my ROC TI/PT to have a lot more resistance to desk diving and hairline scratches on the TI links. Almost none to this point on any of the TI links.

Mirror polish bezel definitely has more noticeable hairline scratches - though it is my daily and I wear under a button down shirt.
Must admit I’ve found Ti watches to mark easily (Omeaga, Tudor) but my Ti44 still to date is mark free and the buckle doesn’t have a single blemish which I can’t believe and I don’t baby it sure it’s a better grade Ti then most use.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:39 AM   #128
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
All you need to like is one watch from the incoming crop.
I can't believe the bashing on changing of colors and bezels as lack of innovation, I
mean are they the only brand doing this?
Hasn't Rolex been doing this forever?
I too dropped from 3 APs to no APs but expect to be adding 1 or 2 this year. I think the new Jumbo is great and a lot more interesting to look at than the original.
Overall, all the brands are lacking in serious ingenuity at this point.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:45 AM   #129
msm2
"TRF" Member

It is funny how everyone is reacting the colors but AP did purple back in the 90s with the 25770st. just google purple 25770st....
msm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:51 AM   #130
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
It is funny how everyone is reacting the colors but AP did purple back in the 90s with the 25770st. just google purple 25770st....
yeah but everyone listened to Hootie and the Blowfish back then too. Neither were a good idea, and i'm not buying the reunion album.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:39 AM   #131
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Anyone else think the frosted gold 37mm openworked is going to restrict 15407 supply even further? Unless they're dramatically ramping up production of the 3132 movement, I can only see the wait to get a 15407 get even longer.
nnicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:44 AM   #132
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
diver, RG 44, and Ti 44 all went since late Aug. RG just went yesterday. The new 44 with the green bezel and cammo strap sealed the deal when i saw the direction. The purple diver alleviated any sellers remorse. Still like the RO line a lot. The ROO has just gone too far off the deep end for me

So you still have one AP then, or none?
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:47 AM   #133
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
so you still have one ap then, or none?
Old 15 January 2018, 07:47 AM   #134
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnicot View Post
Anyone else think the frosted gold 37mm openworked is going to restrict 15407 supply even further? Unless they're dramatically ramping up production of the 3132 movement, I can only see the wait to get a 15407 get even longer.

No I don’t think.
I am sure!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:57 AM   #135
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnicot View Post
its not just that. Count the models AP has... 220 different watches. At 40,000 annual production assuming they produced every watch in equal numbers (which they dont obviously) thats 181 watches per year, per model. Its insane.

Just an average to illustrate a larger point about how out of hand this actually is with so many different variations. Thats why you can't get a 15407 or 15202, its unfortunate as i would love to own either.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:26 AM   #136
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

Any idea of what prices will be like for 42mm ROOs? I'm hoping ~25K USD
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 08:33 AM   #137
SC11
Banned

Quote:
its not just that. Count the models AP has... 220 different watches. At 40,000 annual production assuming they produced every watch in equal numbers (which they dont obviously) thats 181 watches per year, per model. Its insane.

Just an average to illustrate a larger point about how out of hand this actually is with so many different variations. Thats why you can't get a 15407 or 15202, its unfortunate as i would love to own either.
Individual production is low, but they do come through I turned down the allocation of a 15202st but I won’t on a 15407st.

Was hoping something would release that would keep me entertained while waiting but can’t really say there is!
Old 15 January 2018, 08:35 AM   #138
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Individual production is low, but they do come through I turned down the allocation of a 15202st but I won’t on a 15407st.

Was hoping something would release that would keep me entertained while waiting but can’t really say there is!
I get that, they do come though at times, but there is a lot, excessively so of different models. Thats always been my main gripe with AP. Too much unnecessary fluff taking production space at the expense of seriously awesome watches that everyone wants. I just dont think they have the capacity to reasonably produce such a large catalogue of models.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #139
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get that, they do come though at times, but there is a lot, excessively so of different models. Thats always been my main gripe with AP. Too much unnecessary fluff taking production space at the expense of seriously awesome watches that everyone wants.
Haha, well you could make that argument with Rolex and Patek too. They seem to produce a lot of models that languish in inventory at ADs, but not enough of the hot models. I can see how the problem may be more acute with AP though.

I know how you feel about the coloured divers - but apparently they're hot watches in Asia, and I feel like the new ones will also be hot there too.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 08:42 AM   #140
SC11
Banned

Quote:
I get that, they do come though at times, but there is a lot, excessively so of different models. Thats always been my main gripe with AP. Too much unnecessary fluff taking production space at the expense of seriously awesome watches that everyone wants. I just dont think they have the capacity to reasonably produce such a large catalogue of models.
Yeah get where you are coming from, cases full of the unpopular RO’s and ROO 42’s but no Ce’s, openworks or blue dials.

I’m used to it by now! Don’t forget I came from Rolex where every AD has every DJ under the sun and only a handful of the slow moving sports models

The wait does make the reward better (so I keep telling myself)
Old 15 January 2018, 08:48 AM   #141
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Haha, well you could make that argument with Rolex and Patek too. They seem to produce a lot of models that languish in inventory at ADs, but not enough of the hot models. I can see how the problem may be more acute with AP though.

I know how you feel about the coloured divers - but apparently they're hot watches in Asia, and I feel like the new ones will also be hot there too.
Same with Patek, hardly ever seen a popular sports model in the Bond St boutique or WOS Regent's St, place is like a morgue, terrible atmosphere.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:57 AM   #142
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

with Rolex they produce so many more watches per year its not a fair comparison. With Patek, counting only sports watches they have 45 models. Of AP's 220 watches the vast majority are sports watches. So counting the in demand segment AP wins in the too many models to produce effectively game by at least a 3 to 1 margin. Patek isnt really a sports watch focused company or at least don't want to be despite the sports offering's popularity where as AP is sports watches.

I think even Patek makes more aquanauts for example (5167) than AP makes 15202's by a decent margin just judging by the difficulty in acquiring each.

I do think you are right though that these funky colors will sell, hate to admit it as i really don't like them.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:37 AM   #143
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I just noticed the grey 42 with Ceramic is ref # 26470IO which would indicate titanium case contrary to the specs listed on the site. The black dial is an SO which of course indicates steel.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:42 AM   #144
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

In terms of innovation, AP is 150 year old company (appx). If they made major updates every year, we’d be buying oblong watches or ones shaped like figures deep in our geometry books.

Urwerk and Debethune make amazing, very different watches. People don’t buy them. Keep that in mind when talking about being disappointed by mere incremental change. Revolution every year leads to chaos.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:36 AM   #145
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I know change in watches are evolutionary. But it's not like we are suddenly expecting a new movement. They have been talking about their inhouse chrono movement since 2013, with presumably the work on it started much earlier. 5 years later still nothing. Perhaps it's already done but they are withholding it for business decision, I don't know. And given the well known reliability issues with the add-on chrono modules in ROOs, this should have been a priority

Meantime, all other major haute horology houses have launched their own in-house chrono movement, with VC launching theirs two years ago in the new Overseas.

Sure AP might do well in sales but they are falling further behind the curve in terms of watchmaking capability. Do we really want to see another 10 new colors for Divers and endless mix and match of case material and dial colors in their ROOs?
Old 15 January 2018, 10:45 AM   #146
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
AP just revamped the ROC line last year. I’ve been saying in this the AP sub forum since I joined that AP wasn’t going to release the in house right after a revamp. They would tank sales of the ROC.

My guess is they’re waiting for the ROC 25th anniversary before the next revamp with in house. This also gives them a few more years to let the movement run and test it for a servicing. Last thing AP wants to do is release it and then 3 years later a bunch come back for warranty service.

I will agree on the colored divers. 2 look ridiculous, while the other 2 look decent and somewhat wearable.

They could solve this by releasing a LE or something to showcase they have an inhouse chrono done. Now it's all smoke and mirrors nobody knows for sure if it is ready or if they even have one. As for the testing on reliability, the only way is to release it in the market so that consumers can wear them and that's the real test.

Quote:
Thats where i was, now i've gone from 4 AP's to 1.

My take is we bash Hublot here a lot, but lets look at it another way. Hublot is aspiring to be more than they are and are punching above their weight. They are hungry and on the rise and you cant really fault them for that.

AP is being lazy and recycling too many ideas and calling it something new. They are declining.

Of the two brands and seeing their trajectories, I would rather be Hublot. I really would. Hublot is the one coming out with fresh ideas. I dont like a lot of them, but they are doing it. AP is getting by on reputation, not substance and that isnt going to last without some major shakeups. Im speaking to their mainstream pieces not their uber expensive complications.
Despite my disappointment with AP, I will still not compare them with Hublot and I do not see Hublot as being the same level as AP. But I do not follow the brand so I may not know. What fresh ideas and innovations from Hublot recently that you can cite to support your statement above?
Old 15 January 2018, 10:58 AM   #147
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I want to see the pieces in real life later this week before judging. I actually like pieces that most don’t which suits me fine, like the two purple ones for example. The Ti/pt blue model is a no brainer if the dial is anything like the lady’s version with the same smoked dial. But yes it will scratch. Love the ceramic high end pieces but have no regrets on my forthcoming special piece due April unless they surprise me on Friday!
Old 15 January 2018, 12:21 PM   #148
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I want to see the pieces in real life later this week before judging. I actually like pieces that most don’t which suits me fine, like the two purple ones for example. The Ti/pt blue model is a no brainer if the dial is anything like the lady’s version with the same smoked dial. But yes it will scratch. Love the ceramic high end pieces but have no regrets on my forthcoming special piece due April unless they surprise me on Friday!
Please take lots of pics for us, Roger.

At least the purple has two buyers now, somehow suddenly its become the hit of SIHH!
Old 15 January 2018, 12:30 PM   #149
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Please take lots of pics for us, Roger.

At least the purple has two buyers now, somehow suddenly its become the hit of SIHH!
Who is the other buyer? You?
Old 15 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #150
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Who is the other buyer? You?
Yup, my (purple) Vikings are on their way to the Superbowl, amazing last minute play! I was joking but if they win it I might just buy the damn thing! Been waiting 31 years.