The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 July 2015, 10:35 AM   #1
R-H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 5513
My 67 5513 Submariner back from ABC

First off let me say thanks to this forum and members, for the information and suggestions provided on this project. I have 2 threads going on this project and if you don't mind I'd like to bring parts of the others into to bring the story together.
Part 1
First off Hello to all, I'm Robert from Palm Springs CA, new to the forum, new to Rolex's and new to vintage watches. My wife came home from a trip to Oregon to visit her mother and told me she brought me back her grandfather's old watch, when she handed it to me my jaw dropped, having been a diver for many years I could recognize a Rolex Submariner. Did a Google search on Rolex Submariner information, removed the band to locate the numbers, mod.#5513, ser.#173xxxx please correct me if I'm wrong I've never had a Rolex but I put it's date as a 1964. I asked her do you know what this is? she said ya it was her grandfather's work watch, all I could say was Thank You!
It is indeed a work watch as he worked for the San Francisco public works Dept. on the road crew mostly operating a jackhammer, as it was never a closet queen, it does show some wear for it's 51 years, it has sat in a box since his passing, 20 years ago. Searched how to wind and set the time on a submariner and its kept accurate time for 72 hours so far so good. My plans are to have it first checked out to see what we have, I've called the local Rolex dealer was told they do not work on watches of this age but would send it to the Rolex service center for me. Now I'm not sure but to me that seem like they would like in on a piece of the pie. So I've been searching online and I must say this forum has some very good information to keep me from making to many mistakes. From this site I have seen a few names mentioned for vintage Rolex repairs, I called ABC Watchwerks in Los Angles today about bring it in for an evaluation, because I feel better going in person then shipping it cross country and doing business by phone. If the watch checks out to be what I think it is, I'll have it serviced and a very light restoration because I don't want to turn it into a new watch. Now for the questions, first is my plan going in the right direction, 2 - will it take away from the value of the watch to have the crystal replaced? it appears to be acrylic and is getting age checked or cracked. 3 - it appears some of the links in the band are stretching out can these be repaired.

After this post I learned there is more then one serial number date chart out there and it would be either a 1967 or 68.

SAM_0240.jpg

SAM_0261.jpg

SAM_0290.jpg

Will be back with part 2
R-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 10:53 AM   #2
omitohud
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful heirloom. I hope u don't plan on selling it. It could b 67 or 68. I would b incline to say the former. When u r at ABC, they will open it n u can confirm the production yr on the case back. Now to ur questions. It wouldn't bother me if the crystal is replaced with original service one. I would prefer original superdome, it's the icing on the cake, but wouldn't risk getting moisture into the watch if it's cracked as can b seen on urs. As to the bracelet, as long as all links r sound n only has stretched issue, it would b an easy fix if u r willing to send it to Michael young in Hong Kong. It only cost $150 plus shipping two ways. If its original to the watch it's totally worth it. Please share with us the after pictures. Good luck on ur exciting journey to bring it back to its former glory. 😜

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:02 AM   #3
R-H
"TRF" Member

Part 2

Took of this morning to see the wizards at ABC Watchwerks, located in the jewelry district of down town Los Angeles, about the 1967 submariner I received from my wife a few week back, that story is in a previous thread.

SAM_0009.jpg

A few hours latter we arrived at the Emerald City.

SAM_0017.jpg
SAM_0015.jpg

Went up to ABC Watchwerks on the 8th floor, needed to be buzzed into the waiting room, it is a bit small but adequate.

SAM_0010.jpg

Meet with Edvi, very nice and knowledgeable, their was one of their regular customers there at the time who is a collector / dealer, offered to buy it on the spot, told him sorry but after I finish enjoying the watch it will go to my son. Their opinion was it was a untouched, 67 / 68, 5513, meter first, matte dial. Edvi took it in the back to have the back loosened, came right back out and unscrewed it in front of me.

SAM_0012.jpg

The movement is a 1520 / 17 jewel the date on the back cover is 11 67, I forgot to ask if that is the 11 month or the 2nd quarter? We discussed what I wanted done with watch, what they would suggest, and a basic cost on the work to be done. I felt confident that they would treat it as if it was their own. We left it in their care and are wait I the formal estimate after they disassemble and inspect the movement for wear and damage parts.
Will keep to post up dated as the process continues, Edvi said he would take photo's as the repairs progress and email them to me.

Received a e-mail from Ediv with a few more photos.

rolex7.jpg

rolex5.jpg

rolex6.jpg

rolex4.jpg

rolex3.jpg

rolex2.jpg

rolex.jpg

Thanks
Robert
Old 4 July 2015, 11:05 AM   #4
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

Wow, stunning 5513!!
Have ABC put one of the new current Rolex crystals on it so it will
stay waterproof. Then ask for them to polish the crystal to look like the dome one
that is currently on your watch.

Have then do a very light polish, if at all.

Send the bracelet off to Michael Young in Hong Kong to work his magic on the band.

You have a fabulous watch.
Keep it in the family.
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:07 AM   #5
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Hey Robert:

Very nice watch indeed!

I think you should have ABC service the watch with minimal changes. I agree that a new crystal and gaskets are a must along with a cleaning and lubrication of the mechanicals.....

The photos don't show whether the crystal or the dial is the source of the "spider" pattern; hopefully it is the crystal.

The lumes have a nice uniform patina with matching hands....very nice.

The bracelet appears to be a USA C+I style which is likely original to the watch. Again, Michael Young in Hong Kong can refresh it nicely.

Good luck with your "meters first" 1967 Submariner project!

Old 4 July 2015, 11:37 AM   #6
R-H
"TRF" Member

Received call 7/2/15 from Edvi watch is done, missed my Birthday by 2 days, oh well, in time for the fourth, will be picking it up Friday the third.

Drove out today, made good time for going into L.A. 1 hour 50 min. got up to ABC on the 8th floor, Edvi brought out my watch and my GOD these guys are good.

Wish my photography was better. will try to get some better shots but enjoy.

Before:

SAM_0290.jpg

After:

SAM_0146.jpg

SAM_0157.jpg

SAM_0158.jpg

SAM_0150.jpg

SAM_0149.jpg

SAM_0148.jpg

SAM_0185.jpg

Well Thanks interested in your thoughts

RH
Old 4 July 2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Rickster
"TRF" Member

Stunning. Congrats!
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Looks Fantastic!!!!
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:52 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Looks amazing, congrats on a real keeper. Great story behind the watch too
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:53 AM   #10
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
It looks amazing. You made all the right choices in what you did with it. congrats again on receiving such a nice heirloom!
Old 4 July 2015, 11:56 AM   #11
R-H
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
What a beautiful heirloom. I hope u don't plan on selling it. It could b 67 or 68. I would b incline to say the former. When u r at ABC, they will open it n u can confirm the production yr on the case back. Now to ur questions. It wouldn't bother me if the crystal is replaced with original service one. I would prefer original superdome, it's the icing on the cake, but wouldn't risk getting moisture into the watch if it's cracked as can b seen on urs. As to the bracelet, as long as all links r sound n only has stretched issue, it would b an easy fix if u r willing to send it to Michael young in Hong Kong. It only cost $150 plus shipping two ways. If its original to the watch it's totally worth it. Please share with us the after pictures. Good luck on ur exciting journey to bring it back to its former glory. ��

I blame it on the autoconnect.

Watch has a date code of II 67 second quarter of 67, bracelet is a U.S. C&L riveted 1968 date code. and no watch will never be sold will be going to are son when I'm done playing with it.
Old 4 July 2015, 12:03 PM   #12
R-H
"TRF" Member

Tried to get a shot through the old crystal, and a shot of the old parts I'lll keep with the watch.

SAM_0193.jpg

SAM_0194.jpg

SAM_0195.jpg
Old 4 July 2015, 12:15 PM   #13
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Love seeing stories like this. You definitely took it to the right place for servicing as the result looks fantastic. It's great to see that you intend to keep it in the family.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 12:38 PM   #14
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Is that the same watch?

That is stunning!!!

BTW, I'd say your drive time today benefited from the federal holiday.
Old 4 July 2015, 01:25 PM   #15
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Very, very nice. So cool!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 01:29 PM   #16
R-H
"TRF" Member

Hard to believe but it is, my thanks and recommendations go out to Beau for the amazing work he did, Ediv for being a hell of a great person to deal with, and the rest of the crew at ABC WATCHWERKS,
Also a few of my close friends that stopped by to help me celebrate, Arturo, Johnny and his brother Blackie, and of course Rollie the guest of honor.cheers:

SAM_0166.jpg

Old 4 July 2015, 01:33 PM   #17
1675-David
"TRF" Member

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:43 PM   #18
fmc000
Banned

Marvelous watch and a really great story. Enjoy it for many years.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 03:04 PM   #19
roll9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 & 16700
Great story. Watch looks GREAT.
roll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 04:22 PM   #20
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Amazing transformation.
Great looking MF...
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 04:58 PM   #21
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Warning...
You are now infected with the Vintage Rolex Virus
There is no cure
Only thing easing the pain is hunt and buy new specimen...

Wear it in good health, it looks fantastic !
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 05:08 PM   #22
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

looks much better now - enjoy!
Old 4 July 2015, 05:54 PM   #23
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

It looks amazing.

Are you going to wear it on the bracelet or a strap?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 06:24 PM   #24
R-H
"TRF" Member

I like bracelets, but may put on a leather strap to wear most times, just so I don't muck up a 46 year old bracelet, if I can find the right one?
Old 4 July 2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Get a newer oyster 93150...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 07:00 PM   #26
toocustom
"TRF" Member

Oh wow. My friend you really lucked out there. It looks stunning, they did a great job. Did they tighten the bracelet as well?

I had a somewhat similar experience about a year ago. My grandmother was going through some old stuff. Had a bunch of jewelry out on the table the women were picking through. So immediately my eyes catch a plastic bag with two watches in it. I flip it over to find a 60's Omega De Ville. I take it out of the bag and give it a shake, seconds hand starts moving instantly.

So now I have my great grandfathers Omega! :)

Sorry to hijack
toocustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 07:30 PM   #27
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Very lucky, looks a million dollars. As suggested you could get a 93150 for it.

Lee
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 07:37 PM   #28
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Lovely story and beautiful watch.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 09:42 PM   #29
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 10:43 PM   #30
mineral
"TRF" Member

Hi Robert. Nice stories and watch you have there. Do you have chance to try to locate the box and paper of this watch? Hope you could find them.
mineral is offline   Reply With Quote