The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2024, 07:37 PM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Polish or no ?

Yes I’m that guy making that thread

My SD43, my most worn watch by a mile needs a service. It’s running slow and about 8years old now.

It’s currently unpolished. In a reasonable condition no dings no dents obviously completely covered in fine scratches.

I’m unsure whether to have it polished. Usually I just get it done it doesn’t bother me. However, this watch gets worn very hard and I enjoy “not taking care of it” so much as to my other watches.

If I had it polished, I might be inclined to be a bit more careful with it. However it would be nice to have it looking new I guess.

Of course the other concern is the luck of the draw compared to companies such as rolliworks which seem to be flawless 100 per cent of the time.

Thoughts please!!!

Have a good day everybody :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:38 PM   #2
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
My thought is flip a coin ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:48 PM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'd have it polished and continue wearing it as you currently do.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:50 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post

My SD43, my most worn watch by a mile needs a service. It’s running slow and about 8years old now.

It’s currently unpolished. In a reasonable condition no dings no dents obviously completely covered in fine scratches.

I’m unsure whether to have it polished. Usually I just get it done it doesn’t bother me. However, this watch gets worn very hard and I enjoy “not taking care of it” so much as to my other watches.

If I had it polished, I might be inclined to be a bit more careful with it. However it would be nice to have it looking new I guess.

Of course the other concern is the luck of the draw compared to companies such as rolliworks which seem to be flawless 100 per cent of the time.

Thoughts please!!!

Today there is a anti polish syndrome god knows why as long as its done at normal routine RSC service NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 08:15 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd do it and then be careful for a month like its a new watch and then wear it as per usual as its a SD.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 08:55 PM   #6
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Do it. There was a video or long ago posted in YouTube of someone doing a comparison from a RSC before and after polish. There is a very negligible difference of removal of metal. It’s so fine that the weight of the watch before and after were almost identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:00 PM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If it’s a daily tool, I’d keep it as such.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:06 PM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
NO! Once it's polished there's no going back.

Unless the case is a mess, why bother? And why would you want it looking like new anyway? It's supposed to be a tool watch. Let it age naturally.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:08 PM   #9
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Have it polished and learn to take better care of it. You can wear a watch daily without scratching it up.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:09 PM   #10
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
Just got my Sub 114060 back from RSC UK Service, bought in 2015.
Well worth the full refurb & Polish. They even managed to (unfortunately) not thin the lugs.

Get your SD polished on Service, well worth it.
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:22 PM   #11
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

It’s simply not worth risking, in my opinion Do the RSCs turn out some beautiful polishes? Yes. Do they also ruin watches? Yes. Only you can decide for yourself if that’s a risk worth taking.
Phil8352 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:22 PM   #12
TBS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & Pelagos42
Let RSC polish it since there are no nicks or gouges. Light scratches will polish out easily. You will be getting back a new looking watch.
TBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In your case I’d leave it be. As you said, you wear it hard, and it’ll pretty much look the same as it does now in a few months
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:35 PM   #14
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:

Thoughts please!!!

Do not polish it.

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:52 PM   #15
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I'd have it polished and continue wearing it as you currently do.
Exactly my thoughts as well.
Old 25 April 2024, 09:59 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil8352 View Post
Yes. Do they also ruin watches? Yes. Only you can decide for yourself if that’s a risk worth taking.
Show me some prove that Rolex have ruined watches with a normal routine Polish at normal service time they must service a million plus watches over a ten year service period.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:03 PM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

A story about polishing...

An AD polished my IWC beater of 20+ years against my wish in the course of a repair job. Among other things they added polished bevels on the lugs that that IWC never had (but current ones have). According to IWC the poor watch was polished like a Rolex which some of you may find is a good thing. LOL... And it still didn't work properly. Arggh...

In the end I decided to have IWC sort out the mess. They needed two tries for the movement and tried to correct the AD polish job. Definitely better but clearly not as sharp as before. Whenever I wore the watch I wasn't happy. I just don't see the point of ever polishing a tool watch. It came down to selling vs getting a new midcase. The messed up one was the second one already as the watch (and I) had a climbing mishap years ago. Decided to get the new midcase. Expensive but the right call for me and my beater. The watch looks sharp again and puts a smile on my face as it should be.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:10 PM   #18
77T

If you want it to look like new again then you will let Rolex do their regular service per the website.

If not, and you're happy with its current condition then you'll give "no polishing" instructions and the watchmaker gets a longer lunch hour (or two).

My question is whether any of us really like unboxing a brand new Rolex to find it in 5y.o. condition with swirls, scratches, and hazy bright spots. And before you say that's a horse of a different color - it's not. It doesn't matter if I put them there or Rolex did.

Maybe the CPO program should put in their program a "distressed pre-owned" lineup.

Nothing but "no polish" models that are perfect inside and not on outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:15 PM   #19
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

I brought last year my 22 year old 16600 to RSC Geneva for servicing incl. polishing. Looked liked new again. The edges stayed sharp.
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:15 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If you want it to look like new again then you will let Rolex do their regular service per the website.

If not, and you're happy with its current condition then you'll give "no polishing" instructions and the watchmaker gets a longer lunch hour (or two).

My question is whether any of us really like unboxing a brand new Rolex to find it in 5y.o. condition with swirls, scratches, and hazy bright spots. And before you say that's a horse of a different color - it's not. It doesn't matter if I put them there or Rolex did.

Maybe the CPO program should put in their program a "distressed pre-owned" lineup.

Nothing but "no polish" models that are perfect inside and not on outside.

I hear what you’re saying Paul.

I guess I based my comments on Jays wearing habits. As above he said he wears the watch “very hard”.

In my mind, why remove any metal and why would he polish the watch only to have it looking fairly worn in a very short period of time? I guess he’d get a month or two of “like new condition” out of it.

Overall I’m not anti polish, however I do think each owner has their unique wearing habits that make it worth while or not so much
Old 25 April 2024, 10:20 PM   #21
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Show me some prove that Rolex have ruined watches with a normal routine Polish at normal service time they must service a million plus watches over a ten year service period.
There have been many many examples of bad RSC work in my limited time on the forum respectfully :)

I’ve had watches polished with no issues. But it is a risk.
Old 25 April 2024, 10:24 PM   #22
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I guess I based my comments on Jays wearing habits. As above he said he wears the watch “very hard”.

In my mind, why remove any metal and why would he polish the watch only to have it looking fairly worn in a very short period of time? I guess he’d get a month or two of “like new condition” out of it.

Overall I’m not anti polish, however I do think each owner has their unique wearing habits that make it worth while or not so much

I hadn't seen your post Brian but I understand if someone is keeping a watch for a lifetime.

I think about the car thread where people talk about all the different ways they keep the car's surface perfect. Coatings, films, etc. and getting the perfect carnauba wax work.

Then the same poster goes on about "no polish". I hope I'm not pointing any fingers.

I just had my new black edition Volvo go through the automatic car wash!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:24 PM   #23
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes Brian you are correct here, and I don’t want to wear the watch any differently - which I probably will inevitably do if it’s looking all new again. Actually it never did look new as I bought it unpolished. Which actually made me enjoy it more as I wasn’t worried about not looking brand new. Of course this happens with all watches but I think I’m just opening myself up to a painful period of watching it get ruined again
Old 25 April 2024, 10:28 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes Brian you are correct here, and I don’t want to wear the watch any differently - which I probably will inevitably do if it’s looking all new again. Actually it never did look new as I bought it unpolished. Which actually made me enjoy it more as I wasn’t worried about not looking brand new. Of course this happens with all watches but I think I’m just opening myself up to a painful period of watching it get ruined again

Then there’s your answer brother

Old 25 April 2024, 10:29 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I hadn't seen your post Brian but I understand if someone is keeping a watch for a lifetime.

I think about the car thread where people talk about all the different ways they keep the car's surface perfect. Coatings, films, etc. and getting the perfect carnauba wax work.

Then the same poster goes on about "no polish". I hope I'm not pointing any fingers.

I just had my new black edition Volvo go through the automatic car wash!

I guess some folks really are a walking contradiction.

Old 25 April 2024, 10:33 PM   #26
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then there’s your answer brother

Well I did think that when I posted it

However it would still be nice for it to be looking new

I’m not good at decision making
Old 25 April 2024, 10:46 PM   #27
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I suppose it doesn't really matter based on the context with which you framed your post. That said, I polish my watches at routine services. The whole "anti-polish" crowd seems to be under the illusion that their mass produced watch (which is 99% of the examples we are talking about here) think their piece will be worth millions someday and a polish will ruin that.

Many vintage examples have been polished or had service parts installed on the watch because it was and continues to be absolutely normal. Unless someone is sitting on a white gold Dayonta Le Mans, there isn't much Rolex makes that is rare.

The only other obstacle I see to polishing a Rolex is that it is done correctly. Rolex has teams of people wherein this is all they do. They have the proper tools, buffing, etc. They are always going to do the best job with inclusion of a few large scale private operations who know what they are doing. Many ADs will service the watches in house (which again is perfectly fine), but I do agree that results can be more variable here. I have complete confidence in the watchmaker at my local AD. I have had a 16613LN and a 216570 serviced by him with outstanding results.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:57 PM   #28
peptide45
"TRF" Member

I echo the sentiment of polish unless it's something extremely rare.
peptide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:08 PM   #29
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Regular light maintenance polishing takes off a lot less metal than doing a full recon from years of not polishing. Your watch also looks better over its life unless you like the ”whipped Rolex” look that greatly affects its value if you decide to trade it down the line.
Old 25 April 2024, 11:16 PM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I just bought an older DJ which the dealer had fully serviced and polished by Rolex. It looks brand new. Nothing wrong with having your watch polished at a service.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote