The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2020, 02:34 AM   #1
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

The Datejust journey

My first Rolex was a white roman dial 16234 that I bought in Rome back in 2002. I was with my mother and she couldn't believe that I was spending that kind of money on a watch. She literally walked out of the store. Not in disgust but more so that she felt she had no right being in a store that sold items that were so expensive. Unfortunately It was stolen during a home burglary back in 2007. I loved it since it was my first Rolex but I would sometimes kick myself for not getting the rhodium dial they had instead. (picture from the internet)

My second Datejust was a 116203 that I purchased in Cancun back in 2006. That was the year I think that Rolex came out with the newer Datejust design and also had the red/black date wheel. After talking and looking around in the store for some time the sales person told me she had a watch for me. She literally ran to a different store down the road to get it. When she came back and opened the box, I was sold. Unfortunately that watch was stolen in the home burglary as well. It was dressy and sporty at the same time with the bi metal, oyster band, dome bezel and arabic number dial. The new beefier style of the watch was fantastic with the redesigned oyster bracelet, bigger case and incredible domed bezel. I liked the old style red to black date wheel with the new modern style.(picture from the internet)

My third was a salmon dial 116234 that I bought grey market new during a side of the road meet and greet on the streets of Manhattan's Wall Street district sitting in my car back in 2007. Though called salmon, the dial definitely had a pink hue to it and would shine when the light or sun hit it and the white gold roman numerals. It was the perfect watch when I wore blue suits and also became my wedding day watch. My wife has since confiscated it and still wears it to this day. I still love how the watch looks when the light grabs the dial and bezel. In today's standard, the 36mm looks a whole lot better on my wifes wrist.

My newest one is the 126334 "Wimbledon dial" that was just purchased from an AD at Christmas time. I haven't had a Datejust on my wrist for over ten years, but when I saw the Wimbeldon dial in the case it spoke to me and you know what happened next; impulse purchase.

Maybe it's filling the void from 2002 when I should have gotten the rhodium dial or more importantly maybe its giving me the memories of my Mom and that fall sunny day in Rome. This newer 40mm size is a great fit for larger wrists and comfortably wears well. I'm sure this will be a long time keeper. I will say though, I do like the look of the full president style jubilee bracelet over the new clasp style. But having the micro adjustment option is definitely key for better comfort. I also wonder if the dial would look that much better if the roman numerals were deconstructed instead of painted.

What is or was your Datejust journey?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
10XRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Paradox1
"TRF" Member

Watch: M79733N-0008
First off let me say I enjoyed reading your journey till now so thanks for sharing. I don’t have much of a journey to share at this point, unfortunately. I have always been into wearing a watch since a young kid in the early 80’s but at that time it was mainly digital Casios of the time like the newest DataBank model, solar models etc. Later I stepped up big time and (sarcasm) got a self winding Seiko. Eventually I got another higher end, still Seiko. I was in the military at the time and naturally funds were tight so I bought what I could afford and genuinely liked.

Over time when I was able to some years back, I was ready to purchase my first luxury watch. I always liked the Daytona but it was outside of my price range. I ended up purchasing a one owner Breitling Hercules and still have it today. It is a piece I don’t think I will ever sell. Soon after I purchased a Breitling Super Avenger with Breitling diamond bezel which doesn’t get worn often except for special occasions.

Now, begins my Datejust journey. I am finally ready to purchase a Rolex and have decided on a Datejust 41. I still like the Daytona model but current markups on them keep me admiring them from a distance.

I am early in the stage of purchase and hopefully will continue to learn more from this forum but I am looking for a Datejust 41 in Oystersteel and Yellow Gold, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet with slate dial with green Roman numerals aka “Wimbledon” dial.

Again, thanks for sharing your story and hopefully sometime soon I can add more to my own story in your thread.
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
These look really great. I love that you have a variety DJ
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:42 AM   #5
doramas
Banned

What you need to do is set an alarm in the house
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:30 AM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Sorry for the period above, I was busy and just wanted to save the thread to read it later.

I bought my first Rolex about two years ago and it was a two tone submariner. The watch was my favorite of the lot and I still really love how it looks to this day but once it was mine I felt that it didn’t fit my personality when I wore it, so I sold it.

I kept learning about watches and reading about watches and then one day I realized that a Rolex Datejust just is also an oyster.

It has 100m water resistance, silicon hairspring and all...

And it all fits in a smaller package.

I had had a Seiko skx007 and loved the jubilee bracelet, and this motivated me to buy the original jubilee bracelet, the one from Rolex, on the Datejust.

And that put me here:

I’ve had my watch for a little over a year, and I love it
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Nice series of DJs you have owned along the years

Congratulations on the latest entry!
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:44 AM   #8
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
Unfortunately It was stolen during a home burglary back in 2007.

Unfortunately that watch was stolen in the home burglary as well.
I think you either need to get a large dog or a better home security system.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote