The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 October 2014, 05:44 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Wondering about this passion for RM watches

I have a hard time understanding some watch collectors' passion for Richard Mille watches.

For me they are way too big and way to modern and too pricey.

For modern oversized pieces I personally don't like many pieces except some Panerai, have 3, the 233, 28 and 82, but even such Pams which are limited editions for 2 and an old dial, the "dot dial", I got a little bored and tired of them and am planning to flip them, maybe just keeping the 82.

So really for me it is quite surprising to see that RM has such an audience with serious watch collectors, I would never consider buying one, of course all this is personal taste and I have yet to see one in the flesh, but on pics it leaves me cold, on wrist shots they just seem huge and a little strange.

Would like if some owners would explain the attraction that they have towards these watches. Thanks in advance.

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 06:02 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Have to experience them IRL. Pictures don't quite convey the details.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Have to experience them IRL. Pictures don't quite convey the details.
Of course Mike it's very often the case with most watches, but in the same way that for me many ROO's are oversized and overpriced mechanical G-Shock watches, I have a similar impression towards the RM pieces, wouldn't cross my mind getting one, have the impression that it is a too much particular brand and design, and that one day this style of watches will not be in fashion anymore, I like big watches, like Pams, but I don't like oversized pieces like it seems to me RM are like, I guess I am a traditional guy for a few things, and that probably includes watches
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 06:47 PM   #4
rangercadre89

RM watches are aesthetically pleasing IMO. Trying to save up to get RM010 RG...one man's meat is another man's poison i guess
rangercadre89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:19 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
You are not alone. My feeling towards RM is by and large neutral. I have tried them out myself in real life and still feel nothing. According to my friend Roger, apparently, I have to actually own one to appreciate.

They make interesting watches though and at least in my part of the world in Asia, they are gaining popularity and seen as a status symbol so I can see the fascination some has for them. Just not my cup of tea. And I think it's OK. Not all brands can be everything for everyone.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:36 PM   #6
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
RM are just awesome!

I like them.. I would prefer them with a bracelet
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:39 PM   #7
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
There's a great parallel in the car world - Zonda. An upstart no history daring to tread on the toes of Ferrari et al.

I stand by my observation that you need to live with one to appreciate it fully. They are big watches but they fit so well they are easier to wear than other large watches. The skeleton dials are fabulous the fit and finish excellent, the little details exquisite. It is a great shame they are becoming more popular in my view, but I guess they must be doing something right!

I can't really explain to you the 39. It is ridiculously big and looks overpowering on the wrist but how they have managed to make a 50mm watch fit so well to my 7.25 inch wrist is a miracle of design. If the size is an issue for you start with an RM10. I think you will surprised at how well they wear. When you are used to say the 11 then the 10 feels small and the old 5 positively dainty!

Arnaud you really need to try one in the flesh. Get yourself to the Paris boutique.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:44 PM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

Not sure the real intent of your post. To each their own in watches.

For ME, like many here, I've owned them all (Rolex, PAM, AP, Patek, RM) and they all have pro's and con's in my mind. I also think any brand has to be owned to be appreciated--Patek for example. The same for RM in my book.

Once you've at LEAST tried one on, then make a judgement call.

I love the RM11 for the following reasons:

- Comfort (most comfortable watch I've ever owned--period, Case is curved to your wrist vs. flat),
- Size (I prefer larger watches),
- Looks (it absolutely pops on the wrist),
- Unique factor (shape is like no other watch and those that recognize it are blown away),
- Exclusivity (let's face it, very rare to see one in the wild--I love that),
- Strap is best I've owned (the way they have designed the strap is like no other brand)
- Weight (the Ti is just so light and makes for a perfect material in a watch IMHO)

Richard Mille is one of the most exclusive brands (only about 3500 made per year, vs 30-40K Patek, 1M+ Rolex) and that in itself has an allure for many.

Not here to defend RM, as it doesn't need to be. Best watch (for the reasons I've listed above) I've ever owned.

It's that simple.

____
PS - As in pictures, they often times are deceiving--the RM actually curves to your wrist (vs a flat case like most watches), so it really sits lower than you think. The PAM 372 wears MUCH larger than RM11 because it has a flat case back and I found it to be top heavy.

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:09 PM   #9
fmc000
Banned

Well, I am not a collector and, unfortunately, not a RM owner. And will never be.

That said, I love RM watches immensely. I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to try one on my wrist and I can quote everything that Paul wrote in the post above mine.

The most comfortable watch I've ever tried. The most impressive strap I've ever seen. The most intriguing look. What else?

Only that RM is always ahead. Have a look at this: http://watch-anish.com/new-richard-m...tches-wonders/
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:00 AM   #10
FightOnSC!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP. Rolex. The end
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I have a hard time understanding some watch collectors' passion for Richard Mille watches.

For me they are way too big and way to modern and too pricey.

For modern oversized pieces I personally don't like many pieces except some Panerai, have 3, the 233, 28 and 82, but even such Pams which are limited editions for 2 and an old dial, the "dot dial", I got a little bored and tired of them and am planning to flip them, maybe just keeping the 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
many ROO's are oversized and overpriced mechanical G-Shock watches, I have a similar impression towards the RM pieces, wouldn't cross my mind getting one
I guess if you don't own one you'll never know...gotta pay to play in that league Monsieur.

I'm not sure how you really feel about Panerais if ROOs are oversized and overpriced g shocks. I mean...Panerai's are larger. Without as much history as AP. Or prestige. What's the draw and fascination there? Would you be offended if someone posted negatively about Panerai? An Italian maker that for a long time relied on rolex for movement?
FightOnSC! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 12:16 AM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I'm not crazy about RMs, PAMs (because of the large crown guard on most PAMs), APs or PPs (for the most part). But then that's just MHO. Obviously, there is a large group of collectors/addicts for whom one or more of these brands are the cat's meow. I'm not against large watches (I own a Breitling Navitimer Olympus, a Glycine Airman 9, a Seiko Sporturna GMT kinetic, and an IWC GST Perpetual Calendar, all of which are 43 mm or above). The skeletonized mechanism of the RMs do nothing for me. I'm not into the shape of APs, and most PPs are too plain for me (I like at least a date complication on my watches).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 04:00 AM   #12
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Edited... Never mind
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 04:23 AM   #13
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Edited... Never mind
Probably good idea...I read your original reply
Old 2 October 2014, 04:27 AM   #14
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

I think the technology in it is cool. How is the resale value of these things? Do they take a huge hit on the second market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 04:30 AM   #15
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Probably good idea...I read your original reply
In that case I don't think it was a bad reply but understand it would have been met with some resistance.

I edited because I'll have to take your word for it and will save judgement for when I do see one in the flesh.

I will say, however, that there are far more exclusive brands at a fraction of the price so I have a hard time swallowing exclusivity at these prices. If the other criterion you mention is worth the premium then hats off!
Old 2 October 2014, 04:34 AM   #16
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz24 View Post
I think the technology in it is cool. How is the resale value of these things? Do they take a huge hit on the second market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just like anything, it's all about how you buy upfront and what you sell.
Old 2 October 2014, 04:37 AM   #17
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In that case I don't think it was a bad reply but understand it would have been met with some resistance.

I edited because I'll have to take your word for it and will save judgement for when I do see one in the flesh.

I will say, however, that there are far more exclusive brands at a fraction of the price so I have a hard time swallowing exclusivity at these prices. If the other criterion you mention is worth the premium then hats off!
Ok...I'm sure that's true of any brand.

Some people think Seiko is silly when they can buy a Casio.

Threads like this really never serve much purpose IMHO and quickly go down hill...as I'm starting to see.

"I have a hard time understanding some watch collectors' passion for ____________ watches."
Old 2 October 2014, 04:54 AM   #18
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Ok...I'm sure that's true of any brand.

Some people think Seiko is silly when they can buy a Casio.

Threads like this really never serve much purpose IMHO and quickly go down hill...as I'm starting to see.

"I have a hard time understanding some watch collectors' passion for ____________ watches."
You bring up an excellent point which is easy to forget.

My friends and family think I'm crazy for spending $10K+ on a watch. It's all relative... Me trying to understand RM is no different from them trying to understand my collection.
Old 2 October 2014, 05:21 AM   #19
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You bring up an excellent point which is easy to forget.

My friends and family think I'm crazy for spending $10K+ on a watch. It's all relative... Me trying to understand RM is no different from them trying to understand my collection.
Old 2 October 2014, 06:32 AM   #20
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Nothing like spending time in an RM Boutique. Unbelievable, and when I can justify it in my own mind I will get one. Oh, and I like my oversized G-Shocks as well. I guess there is no accounting for taste, especially that of the great unwashed masses in the new world!
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 08:27 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
They stand out from the crowd. That is reason enough. I have seen and tried on a handful in person and while not for me, I can see the attraction.
Old 2 October 2014, 10:27 AM   #22
Soleless Shoes
"TRF" Member

I'd like a rose gold piece with an Arabic dial but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Soleless Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:03 PM   #23
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
This is the only Mille I am interested in having in my collection ATM:

There was one on "the list" a number of months ago, but I missed jumping on it. It was actually very well priced too, considering original retail is $500k...

The newer re-designs have flown too far of the handle for my tastes and eyes--they actually start giving me a migraine if I look to long--but to each there own.
Old 2 October 2014, 01:10 PM   #24
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Did I hear somewhere before that they have a minimum service fee of $6,000 or is that BS?

I don't remember if I read it here or heard it in conversation.

While I think they are nice watches they are too rich for my blood.
Rogdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:17 PM   #25
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Did I hear somewhere before that they have a minimum service fee of $6,000 or is that BS?

I don't remember if I read it here or heard it in conversation.

While I think they are nice watches they are too rich for my blood.
I've heard of people selling their Mille's because of being infuriated when given the service bills...

My friend owns the first or second watch Mille ever made (I can't remember which one), or at least he used to own it. I think he mentioned going to dinner with him when he comes to NY, or maybe that is Journe, or both. He is huge into indie watches...
Old 2 October 2014, 01:49 PM   #26
conkers
"TRF" Member

They have fixed price servicing now for a lot of models. Something like CHF3000 for an 11 IIRC I will check when I get home. Yes there have been some horror stories which is why they have tried to give more clarity.
Old 2 October 2014, 01:50 PM   #27
conkers
"TRF" Member

Ps Queue you have been very quiet where have you been?
Old 2 October 2014, 01:55 PM   #28
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Ps Queue you have been very quiet where have you been?
Writing dissertation, LoL....
Old 2 October 2014, 02:20 PM   #29
conkers
"TRF" Member

Hahaha! Now back to the real work of buying watches!
Old 2 October 2014, 05:13 PM   #30
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Taste differ. Plus where I live it is really hard to tell whether watch owners are collecting and enjoying or just following the fad. This applies not only to RM but also to Rolex, AP, Panerai and other brands.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote