The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 October 2016, 01:43 AM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
wearing a watch while sleeping… who knew?

from cartier website FAQ

"CAN I WEAR MY WATCH DURING THE NIGHT?
It is not recommended to wear your watch during the night, since the friction and twisting of one's movements while sleeping lead to deterioration in the materials and cause faster wear and tear than during normal use."

http://www.cartier.com/en-us/service...q/watches.html
Old 5 October 2016, 02:03 AM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 02:09 AM   #3
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Joke's on you, I never sleep...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:09 AM   #4
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

The only time I am not wearing a watch is when I shower, and that is only to avoid any kind of soap build up.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:46 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Sounds like BS to me. But my Cartiers (Pasha and Roadster) both needed servicing every 2 years like clockwork and I slept with them on.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:57 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Sounds like BS to me. But my Cartiers (Pasha and Roadster) both needed servicing every 2 years like clockwork and I slept with them on.

Your lugs are probably worn to heck after rubbing on the sheets through the night

Maybe our watches don't need fancy polishing during service, just a restless nights sleep w lots of tossing and turning in high thread count bedding?

Whoever wrote that for Cartier must be quite a party animal.
Old 5 October 2016, 07:33 AM   #7
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Whoever wrote that for Cartier must be quite a party animal.
Mind you, it just takes that one bad night of sleep where you turn around, hit your watch on the corner of your table and ding it or break something inside. Then you go to your AD, complain that you must have had a faulty watch because it should have resisted this shock and argue with the service center because your damaged balance staff is not covered by their warranty.

Many people buy those watches everyday but definitely not everybody knows how they really work and how to properly wear them. To be honest, I do not suggest sleeping with your watch either, I may not be as extreme in my explanation as Cartier but I simply don't see the advantage or the need to do so.

- André Fortin
Old 5 October 2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Mind you, it just takes that one bad night of sleep where you turn around, hit your watch on the corner of your table and ding it or break something inside. Then you go to your AD, complain that you must have had a faulty watch because it should have resisted this shock and argue with the service center because your damaged balance staff is not covered by their warranty.

Many people buy those watches everyday but definitely not everybody knows how they really work and how to properly wear them. To be honest, I do not suggest sleeping with your watch either, I may not be as extreme in my explanation as Cartier but I simply don't see the advantage or the need to do so.
Hi Carl, welcome back to the forum. Is this a serious post or a not-so-subtle hint to people not to treat their watches too preciously?

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 08:19 AM   #9
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Hi Carl, welcome back to the forum. Is this a serious post or a not-so-subtle hint to people not to treat their watches too preciously?
Hi Clive,

Hope you are well.

Can it be a bit of both? I don't baby my watches and do not condone leaving them in their boxes and wear them only once every full moon, however, I think being a bit careful when you wear your watch goes a long way. Of course, I don't mean any offense to whoever decides to sleep with his watch, I've just had enough instances where watches would break or wear down prematurely to know that there is most probably a good reason behind that warning on Cartier's website.

- André Fortin
Old 5 October 2016, 08:23 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wearing a watch through the night has never been a thought, i have always done it. i don't have a bedside table but there has been an occasion or two that my girlfriend has objected with a word in the middle of the night.
Old 5 October 2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I know some of you can sleep with your watch on. I can't at all. I feel constricted for some reasons when i leave my watch on and get into bed.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:15 AM   #12
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do this kind of thing everyday, while I am awake. I figure I pay good money for my watches. They better damn well be able to stand up to some knocks. I am not paying thousands of dollars to wear a delicate peach on my wrist.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 10:07 AM   #13
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Until joining here it never occurred to me that so many do wear their watch to bed. I never have, and still don't.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:08 AM   #14
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I do this kind of thing everyday, while I am awake. I figure I pay good money for my watches. They better damn well be able to stand up to some knocks. I am not paying thousands of dollars to wear a delicate peach on my wrist.
Of course they are able to stand up some knocks. Hell, I've hit my vintage and slim watches here and there myself and I've never had a problem. That's not the point I'm trying to make.

I was not implying that watches will simply explode on your wrist without any notice, however, the price you pay for your timepiece does not necessarily mean it should withstand everything you put it through, same goes with everything in life, there are many more factors to consider.

Anwyay, I was not trying to ruin the fun of this thread, I will just go back to my third daily inspection of all my watches to ensure they were not scratched while staying in my drawer...I keep typing on my keyboard and I'm afraid the vibrations may have damaged something on one of them.

- André Fortin