The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
chenx15
"TRF" Member

any news regarding the ss daytona

hello people! haven't been here a lot lately so i don't see any news regarding the ss daytona. how is the supply and demand going with the "grail watch"?
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:16 PM   #2
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
The current stainless iteration of the DAYTONA is no longer classified as a "GRAIL" piece IMO. There are 6 in my immediate vicinity at ADs.
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 01:51 PM   #3
DRMOVIE1
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT/SS YM
so it seems finaly the daytona isnt considerd to be as rare as it once was. Have we seen this happen with any other watches? Losing such grail status?
DRMOVIE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
walds11
"TRF" Member

I think the grail status will come back a little bit once the economy picks up, demand will outpace supply again..
Old 6 August 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I believe that the S/S Daytona now sells at a slight premium to MRSP, perhaps not as large as it once was, but a premium nonetheless.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
No new news really.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well for me the modern Daytona was never a grail watch,yes it was hard to get at list.But IMHO one of the main reasons for that was that most ended up on the grey market.To be sold at inflated prices it was called Daytona fever or greed,but now with the poor economy world wide.Perhaps now the Daytona bubble has burst and more will find homes to the guys who what to really own the watch,and not for a quick flipp.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMOVIE1 View Post
so it seems finaly the daytona isnt considerd to be as rare as it once was. Have we seen this happen with any other watches? Losing such grail status?

The LV, Milgauss and SDDS comes to mind.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 10:30 PM   #9
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

They are right that the SS Daytona isn't as rare as it used to be but this is one of the few Rolex watches that you are still paying full retail. There are some thoughts that the economy is starting to recover and if really does start to recover this year, then don't be surprise if the Daytona goes back to rare status again next year. I think now is the time to buy if you ever wanted a Daytona.

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 11:29 PM   #10
007Willster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I think that the availability in the US is a regional phenomena. Here in middle Tennessee there are none to be had. I got mine in May of this year and it was the only one my AD has seen all year between 2 stores (Jared).

- I paid current MSRP for a V serial with the new GMTII clasp.
- There are still waiting lists in my area.
- Most of the waiting list people want Black Dials (already have WDs).
- This is the only SSD I have seen in my area this year.
- It arrived the night before I bought it and it was in the safe, not on display.
- I bought it to wear...

The SSD I just bought at MSRP was $2000 more than MSRP for a SSD in 2007! People on lists in the past were paying significantly less at the AD than today.

I think that the combination of:
1) the Rolex price increases making it less affordable,
2) the lousy economy causing less disposable income,
3) along with current MSRP being approximately the same as the typical "Flip" price, therefore eliminating the majority of flipper buyers have put the Daytona in the current situation.

I noticed at Alan Furman, only the SSD and the green Milgauss have a premium on them.

Also, my ADs have two Deep Seas and a green Milgauss that have been in the case for weeks if anyone is interested!

BTW, I liked the Daytona before I knew that it was hard to get and I love mine - next up is the classic 14060M!
007Willster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post
They are right that the SS Daytona isn't as rare as it used to be but this is one of the few Rolex watches that you are still paying full retail. There are some thoughts that the economy is starting to recover and if really does start to recover this year, then don't be surprise if the Daytona goes back to rare status again next year. I think now is the time to buy if you ever wanted a Daytona.

Allan

Totally 100% agree! Get them while you can. When I got my SS modern Daytona I had to beg, purchase, shmooze and ultimately threaten my AD to get one. Even then it took about a year. That was during the height of the economy.

Get one now fellas if you want one. When the economy turns upward they will be selling at a premium again and harder to get.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 12:26 AM   #12
007Willster
"TRF" Member

Also agree, when the economy rebounds I think they will be harder to get again.
Old 7 August 2009, 01:23 AM   #13
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Willster View Post
I think that the availability in the US is a regional phenomena. Here in middle Tennessee there are none to be had. I got mine in May of this year and it was the only one my AD has seen all year between 2 stores (Jared).

- I paid current MSRP for a V serial with the new GMTII clasp.
- There are still waiting lists in my area.
- Most of the waiting list people want Black Dials (already have WDs).
- This is the only SSD I have seen in my area this year.
- It arrived the night before I bought it and it was in the safe, not on display.
- I bought it to wear...

The SSD I just bought at MSRP was $2000 more than MSRP for a SSD in 2007! People on lists in the past were paying significantly less at the AD than today.

I think that the combination of:
1) the Rolex price increases making it less affordable,
2) the lousy economy causing less disposable income,
3) along with current MSRP being approximately the same as the typical "Flip" price, therefore eliminating the majority of flipper buyers have put the Daytona in the current situation.

I noticed at Alan Furman, only the SSD and the green Milgauss have a premium on them.

Also, my ADs have two Deep Seas and a green Milgauss that have been in the case for weeks if anyone is interested!

BTW, I liked the Daytona before I knew that it was hard to get and I love mine - next up is the classic 14060M!
+1000. It is the same in the DFW area; I've been to several of the large ADs lately, *none* had any SS Daytonas, and all had lists, albeit shorter than in the past. Jared had a swiss watch event recently, and the SS Daytona they got in for the event sold within one hour of the store opening.

Also, the grey market dealers still are not discounting the new ones below MSRP, though the market for used ones is softening a bit...but then that's true of all of them, isn't it?

So, imo it definitely depends upon where you are; I suspect that in the states hardest-hit by the subprime meltdown they are much easier to come by than in states suffering a lessor hit.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 01:24 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't think that the Daytona has lost any of it's luster or appeal, it has just lost an active customer base..

The fact that they are easier to find isn't because nobody wants one any more... It's because not as many people can, or want, to spend that much money on a watch at this point in time, or they can no longer get the credit to buy...

Around here, for the Daytona and the GV Milgauss, Dealers start calling around to their known watch aficianodos..... both are usually gone within an hour and they never hit the display case..
Old 7 August 2009, 03:10 AM   #15
Whiskey
Banned

Watch: Deepsea
A couple months ago I got a call from my contact at Royal DeVersaille telling me that a SS Daytona was available and they were trying to move it. She asked me if I was interested and if I could pass the word around that the watch was available.

I think she wanted $11,000 for it which at the time was about $2,000 over MSRP. I asked about a discount and she said NO. I ran into my contact a month later and she said it sold eventually.

Haven't received a phone-call since about another one.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 03:14 AM   #16
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't think that the Dalytona has lost any of it's luster or appeal, it has just lost an active customer base..

The fact that they are easier to find isn't because nobody wants one any more... It's because not as many people can, or want, to spend that much money on a watch at this point in time, or they can no longer get the credit to buy...

Around here, for the Daytona and the GV Milgauss, Dealers start calling around to their known watch aficianodos..... both are usually gone within an hour and they never hit the display case..
I totally agree with larry....Daytona still has its appeal and still a lot of people would want to own one...Its just there is no money to spend...People are just being practical now a days...
Old 7 August 2009, 05:02 AM   #17
007Willster
"TRF" Member

improviz, I'm going to Dallas tomorrow to visit family and I plan on making the AD rounds. It will be interesting for me to see what availability/selection looks like compared to Nashville.

I'll be wearing my SS Daytona, of course! HA!

BTW, I got mine at Jared's swiss watch show this May in Nashville. I was there at opening and I was first to be offered. There were at least 2 guys behind me that were ready to take it if I didn't.

The SS Daytona has been my grail for a long time, not so much because of relative availability, but rather - I JUST LOVE IT! Having seen what others consider their personal grails, I think I'm not the only one who feels that way...
Old 7 August 2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Veritas07

Not here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
I believe that the S/S Daytona now sells at a slight premium to MRSP, perhaps not as large as it once was, but a premium nonetheless.

NOT in TRF Sales Corner!!!
Veritas07 is offline   Reply With Quote