The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 7 July 2022, 05:48 AM   #1
link517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDiThernan View Post
I agree with you. Few things are less attractive than narrow minded, single issue, old men. Who have no ability to listen and adapt. I understand, as an old man myself, that an excessive emphasis on money, rather than beauty, is one dimensional. And boring. But all the posts here addressing the value that others perceive in Rolex (in other words, what does the market think) are of much greater interest than the bad-tempered ‘stop talking about money” oldies with thousands of ‘what are you wearing?’ posts. I expect an infraction warning. Or this to be deleted. But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Well said. I would add that I use the value/market price topics/posts to get a feel on ability to source new watches, which has nothing to do investment. For instance, white gold latest generation sub can be had around retail on secondary market, that tells me it might be worth going to my AD to inquire about a piece.

Without this forum, I would have never discovered Moda Facebook group and how would I know that Chrono24 posted prices are overly optimistic.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:08 AM   #2
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Milo, my friend, last time I checked this was not a political party or a sports team so the pride analogy is not really getting it for me.

But if you are truly concerned about the health of this form, you might try:
  • Contributing membership dues.
  • Writing a watch review.
  • Or, maybe answering even a tiny percentage of the questions about the history and workings of Rolex watches that Padi has for many, many years and continues to do so.

As far as adding "colour" to the forum, I have reviewed Padi's post which you ask us to believe offends you so much you feel compelled to pontificate so passionately as to how it will be the downfall of this forum. Seriously? I must ask you, if Padi's post is is not the very definition of "colour" then what is? And if anyone is so offended by the post as to swear off the forum, well they must have led a pretty sheltered and pampered life. But I digress.

Again, if you are serious about the health of the forum there are more constructive things you can do than throw stones at those who continue to add to its value.

If not, then by all means feel free to keep quasi-lurking and bless us with your wisdom. But you might be more persuasive if you had a tad thicker skin and a just a wee bit more perspective. And were a might bit more respectful to the people who add so much to this forum.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:40 AM   #3
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Milo, my friend, last time I checked this was not a political party or a sports team so the pride analogy is not really getting it for me.

• Or, maybe answering even a tiny percentage of the questions about the history and workings of Rolex watches that Padi has for many, many years and continues to do so.

As far as adding "colour" to the forum, I have reviewed Padi's post which you ask us to believe offends you so much you feel compelled to pontificate so passionately as to how it will be the downfall of this forum. Seriously? I must ask you, if Padi's post is is not the very definition of "colour" then what is? And if anyone is so offended by the post as to swear off the forum, well they must have led a pretty sheltered and pampered life. But I digress.

Again, if you are serious about the health of the forum there are more constructive things you can do than throw stones at those who continue to add to its value.

If not, then by all means feel free to keep quasi-lurking and bless us with your wisdom. But you might be more persuasive if you had a tad thicker skin and a just a wee bit more perspective. And were a might bit more respectful to the people who add so much to this forum.
Understood. And taken in a positive way. I’ll try and listen and learn. Completely agree that we should respect an institution created for years by people like padi, from which youngsters benefit. Because without padi and the oldies, the youngsters would have nowhere to go to learn, ask and, perhaps, vent. I’m just making a plea for tolerance and sponsorship, by the old in particular (who are stuck in their ways), to give a little latitude to the excitability of the youngsters. Let people discuss the market. They’ll eventually get bored by the money aspect too. And then they’ll want to learn. Just don’t cut them off on arrival, with “this forum used to be…..now it’s all about (uninformed youngsters obsessed about) money….!’ Live and let live. Thanks for penning an admonition which I’ve tried to take to heart.
Old 20 July 2022, 05:51 AM   #4
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
Rolex excels at longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

It’s not a watch review, quite, but it’s about Rolex watches and the way Rolex cares, rather than what they’re worth. You’re right about the need to talk about Rolex without money in mind, most of the time. (And you’re right about the need for all of us to pay our membership fees. I’ve done so.)

About two years’ ago, a friend gave me a 24mm or 28mm Oyster Perpetual which had been stuck in her mother’s bedside drawer for years, ignored, asking if it was worth refurbishing. I took it to London’s WoS and asked them their opinion. They embraced the idea of making it good when I explained that the daughter wanted her mother’s watch in her life, and three months later it was returned to us and her in pristine condition, with a beautiful slate grey dial.

That was two years ago. This evening, the same daughter turned up for curry and wine, this time, by chance, with her father’s watch, with the same refurbishment request. Her Mum is still with us, but her Dad passed about 25 years ago. Because the jubilee bracelet is the old tuna fish tinny one, she thought it was a fake, but I think it’s legitimate. I will be taking it to WoS tomorrow, in the hope that they can send it to Rolex for the same exemplary refurbishment treatment. It’s a beautiful watch.

Rolex can breath new life into old friends.

Three weeks ago I saw a beautiful rose gold Moser Mayu. I tested out after sales by going to the only H. Moser retailer in London, H-Rods. I went to their empty desk, waited for someone to attend to me, but every sales assistant nearby ignored me. I did not buy the watch, because I worried about the watchmaker’s regard for its future.

At another prestige maker, who are wonderful when they greet you, but mostly don’t bother replying to requests for a meeting, I’m still waiting for an appointment. This is the second most prestigious watch maker in the world, with many houses.

My point is this. My experience of Rolex is that it regards its watches as children, who must be attended to for their entire life, regardless of ownership and age. I have many Rolex watches and many children. After my experience with my friend and her parents’ watches, I now feel confident that my watches will live longer lives than me and always be taken care of. That makes Rolex virtually unique.

And valuable (couldn’t resist that!) in so many ways. So if anyone reading this is on the fence, rest assured that any buying decision you make today will echo through the decades. MSRP plus or minus conversations cease to matter if your time horizon is long enough. As Baz Luhrmann said: “throw away your old bank statements; keep your love letters.” Rolex takes care of its love letters in a way that almost no watchmaker I’ve experienced does.
Old 7 July 2022, 08:03 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
I agree with you. Few things are less attractive than narrow minded, single issue, old men. Who have no ability to listen and adapt. I understand, as an old man myself, that an excessive emphasis on money, rather than beauty, is one dimensional. And boring. But all the posts here addressing the value that others perceive in Rolex (in other words, what does the market think) are of much greater interest than the bad-tempered ‘stop talking about money” oldies with thousands of ‘what are you wearing?’ posts. I expect an infraction warning. Or this to be deleted. But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Let's just read each post as they come. Generally, aged lifelong collectors and a first-time owner with an incoming can both add warmth and insight to the discussions.
Old 9 July 2022, 01:42 PM   #6
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Give this man a medal. Dead. Nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 July 2022, 04:31 AM   #7
AndyEdwards
"TRF" Member

Totally agree.

Last edited by AndyEdwards; 13 July 2022 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: .
Old 10 July 2022, 08:14 PM   #8
blargle
Banned

Quote:
what an excellent comment

i think most of the people here who are 'siCk oF HeARinG aBouT pRiCE poStS' are the ones who bought at the peak and hate the daily reminders that they made some terrible financial decisions

the market is going down hard, and i cant wait to see this forum when discounts at grey become the norm
Old 10 July 2022, 09:14 PM   #9
Luv rolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ,SD 4000,LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargle View Post

i think most of the people here who are 'siCk oF HeARinG aBouT pRiCE poStS' are the ones who bought at the peak and hate the daily reminders that they made some terrible financial decisions

the market is going down hard, and i cant wait to see this forum when discounts at grey become the norm
Exactly what i think to
Old 10 July 2022, 09:16 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Or perhaps we bought years or decades ago because we like watches.

Good luck and I for one have no interest in where prices go.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 10 July 2022, 09:56 PM   #11
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You may be waiting for a very long time if this is what you’re holding out for.
Old 11 July 2022, 04:47 AM   #12
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You will be the old lion by then 😂
Old 7 July 2022, 05:52 AM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
It looks like it may revert. There’s always hope
Old 7 July 2022, 07:36 AM   #14
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
For what it's worth, padi, your knowledge of Rolex and Tudor is peerless on this forum.

I would love to see you start some good threads, maybe one a week, about these brands, with stories or facts that we might not otherwise get to learn.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Old 8 July 2022, 03:54 AM   #15
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1. I joined this forum almost 15yrs ago. It was a lot better back then. When certain members posted something, you knew it was going to be a good read. I still like the forum but it has changed.
Old 8 July 2022, 01:00 PM   #16
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Why respond in the thread then? No one is forcing you to read the threads.
Old 11 July 2022, 11:53 AM   #17
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yup
Old 14 July 2022, 09:40 AM   #18
snyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you.

Old 15 July 2022, 12:55 PM   #19
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the rwc over the past 100 odd years. Now today rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
lol
Old 5 August 2022, 10:13 AM   #20
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Right on Peter.
Old 12 January 2023, 03:27 AM   #21
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Quote:

Hear hear. Agree completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 27 May 2023, 10:12 PM   #22
Steve Epps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Current management is at fault for the ££$$€€ craziness.
Old 21 August 2023, 11:52 PM   #23
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Quote:

This is a bit melodramatic mate. History doesn’t disappear !

Old 29 July 2023, 02:47 AM   #24
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
I saw this too. The crazy prices for recently discontinued models have gone down a lot, but still quite a bit above their original MRSP.
In 2008 0r 2009, I saw the YG green dial gmt and it was about 24K new. I could not afford it back then. Two years ago when looking for a pre-owned YG 40 mm watch, The full YG bluesy was 7 to 14k less than the discontinued green dial gmt. The green dial was then 32k and up to 40K USD. Since then, that gmt has skyrocketed up to lke 65k (asking anyway).
While they may be on the way down, they will remain very costly. I purchased the full yg bluesy preowned because it was mre affordable probably due to remaining in production albeit 1 mm larger.

Lee
Old 7 July 2022, 01:12 AM   #25
CoolCat#7208
Banned

Watch prices are all over the place at the moment because of the economic macro. This is not exclusive to the watch market, it's everywhere.

Speculative grey dealers (mostly inexperienced) spent the last 3-4yrs filling their stock boxes up and now they have nowhere to go because most of them have no liquidity to do anything day by day. Hence why prices are falling because there are more sellers than buyers right now. Times are tough for most people now and less are looking to make luxury purchases.

Like anything, if prices start to feel ridiculous (£30k+ for 41mm OP) then apologies but I don't feel too sorry for you for buying if you bought for an InVeStmEnT.
Anyone buying watches purely from an investment perspective is likely to get burned at some point.
Buy what you like. Buy from an AD and relax, or buy from the Grey Market but prepare to be upset when that number goes down.
Old 7 July 2022, 01:22 AM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea show me a nice 5 digit sub or gmt that has dropped in value at all…..they haven’t…..maybe stop going up but not dropped
Old 7 July 2022, 07:40 AM   #27
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yea show me a nice 5 digit sub or gmt that has dropped in value at all…..they haven’t…..maybe stop going up but not dropped
I have to say, from what I see, this is really accurate. It does appear nice 5 digits subs/GMT are holding if not increasing in price.

Last edited by ny_yeti; 7 July 2022 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: missed a word
Old 7 July 2022, 08:15 AM   #28
pursang_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_yeti View Post
I have to say, from what I see, this is really accurate. It does appear nice 5 digits subs/GMT are holding if not increasing in price.
It makes perfect sense. Neovintage crowd is a bit more obsessive and those references are in their own different world.

The article linked is covering freshly discontinued pieces that saw hype.

My first Rolex is a 2 liner 14060M bought two months ago. Paid a generous market value. Second one is a 16710 or 16700 upcoming. Waiting for the right one. Will pay whatever is market price. It's entirely possible that 5 digit prices will eventually soften. But it has no bearing on my choices or outlook.
Old 7 July 2022, 09:22 AM   #29
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I think it’s unrealistic and a bit unfair to crap on those that choose to discuss value with Rolex watches. This type of discussion is commonplace in other high end commodity forums, be it classic cars, luxury cars, jewelry, antiques, etc.
Sure, as collectors we discuss the various nuances related to our particular genre, but value, real or perceived, is always on peoples minds. I think the flipping craze has really touched a nerve but to ignore value when talking about watches, new or vintage, especially when we are taking multi-thousands of dollars is a bit silly, no?
Just IMHO
Old 7 July 2022, 10:10 AM   #30
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
I think it’s unrealistic and a bit unfair to crap on those that choose to discuss value with Rolex watches. This type of discussion is commonplace in other high end commodity forums, be it classic cars, luxury cars, jewelry, antiques, etc.
Sure, as collectors we discuss the various nuances related to our particular genre, but value, real or perceived, is always on peoples minds. I think the flipping craze has really touched a nerve but to ignore value when talking about watches, new or vintage, especially when we are taking multi-thousands of dollars is a bit silly, no?
Just IMHO
Ditto.
Those who crap on ppl who value luxury items are probably just selfish folks who thinks only about emselves & want everything avail at their pleasure without much effort.

I observe same negativity among collectors who can’t land their current issue/release of regular comic, bourbon, handbag, scotch, wine, sneaker, coin, stamp, trading cards & Japanese denim; and these negativity are reflected in the way they diss so call investors who value their wishlists thus displacing them from priority lists.

I regard these negative folks as those envious of others for being able to get things they wanted, especially those who can afford to pay above MSRP.

I wonder if half of former, current and future Rolex owners would even patiently queue outside AD to wait their turns to enter, or wait for years and painstakingly follow-up with their SA, on monthly basis with face to face meetings - for their wishlist, or pay above MSRP if they can’t no longer wait; if Rolex is just another Citizen/Rado (no disrespect to these brands).
Just saying.

A good example will be Panerai after the craze is over post-2010.
Before Panerai switched to in-house mvmt; almost 1/2 of the oldies here in this forum rush to call their AD every year minutes after Panerai drop their new PAM249, 232 and dozens more models.

As soon as the 3xx series roll out with inflated in-house mvmt price & maybe too many homage models which look similar to past years, the music died
Closed Thread