The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2024, 09:53 PM   #31
liveralone
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I had a similar experience. One AD called me and said something I have been waiting for came in. I called back and he expressed that they just got an LV in, that is available, and when I would like to come in. You can imagine how that played out when I arrived and it was a CPO LV for over $20K. Let's just say I will never call them again, lol.
liveralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 10:23 PM   #32
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
As is the case with most things in life, if you don’t like the rules of the game, play another game and don’t look back.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 10:59 PM   #33
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveralone View Post
I had a similar experience. One AD called me and said something I have been waiting for came in. I called back and he expressed that they just got an LV in, that is available, and when I would like to come in. You can imagine how that played out when I arrived and it was a CPO LV for over $20K. Let's just say I will never call them again, lol.
This right here is bullshit. The OPs example, walking in cold, expressing interest, and being told they do have it as a CPO is acceptable. You being on a list and then "getting the call" but not on a new one is RAGE inducing.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 11:04 PM   #34
liveralone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
This right here is bullshit. The OPs example, walking in cold, expressing interest, and being told they do have it as a CPO is acceptable. You being on a list and then "getting the call" but not on a new one is RAGE inducing.
Totally agree. CPO option is a nice way to get the watch you want, from an AD, right away.

The best thing about the call I had was the tone in the salespersons voice. I've personally never won 'the lottery', but if I did, I imagine the person on the other end of the line would sound like he did, lol.
liveralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 11:05 PM   #35
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Rolex CPO doesn’t allow currently produced watches that are less than 2 or 3 years old I think?
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:49 AM   #36
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
How negotiable is the price? I would imagine ADs are not used to negotiating these last few years so in addition to high prices there will be much less movement than from greys, maybe worth trying them in a year or two when they also behave like greys but not now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 03:34 AM   #37
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyesterpig View Post
How would you know if a CPO watch was only a year or two old? They have random serial numbers now ��
When I estimate a watch for service (including CPO), I have to enter the serial number into a system. I'm the case of newer watches, that system will tell me when the new-sale warranty or service warranty expires. That is how I know whether or not I can service the watch for our CPO program.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 04:43 AM   #38
jackminny15

Watch: Always changin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
His manager will be pitching you ceramic coating, extended warranty and maintenance package.
OMG, I spit out half a can of pop reading that. Hilarious!!!
126613LB Submariner "Bluesy" | 126610LN Submariner Date | 126610LV Submariner "Cermit" | 126500LN Daytona "Panda" | Omega Seamaster Diver 300 green | Tudor Black Blay 41 jubilee | Omega Aqua Terra "Summer Blue"
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 04:54 AM   #39
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
CPO is a scam in a sense
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:33 AM   #40
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
When I estimate a watch for service (including CPO), I have to enter the serial number into a system. I'm the case of newer watches, that system will tell me when the new-sale warranty or service warranty expires. That is how I know whether or not I can service the watch for our CPO program.
Thank you for this clarification and reality check. So much magical thinking here about ADs selling new watches as CPO. Pure fantasy.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:32 AM   #41
anorphirith
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126713GRNR
It's funny I went to Rolex owned Tourneau which only carries CPO.
ALL of their used watches were above market. Weird feeling when it's a Rolex owned company that profits from secondary market, at margins even higher than what the usual scalper sells for
anorphirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 08:28 AM   #42
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Why would that be weird? For years Rolex has been watching third parties profit from the sale of their watches on the secondary market, why wouldn’t Rolex want a piece of that? And why wouldn’t those watches cost more than the secondary market since their provenance is guaranteed, they come freshly serviced and with Rolex warranty? On the contrary, CPO makes perfect sense.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:10 AM   #43
Texasjim
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ...this!
Has anyone traded or sold their watch on/to the CPO program? Are they allowing market prices for said trade-in? (Adjusting for profit)….
Old 30 March 2024, 02:57 PM   #44
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The CPO program run by Bucherer or any other large chain is the best economic engine for Rolex.

Rolex could learn from this - inventory shared among chain ADs of the parent online.

Thus their retail AD can fulfill a customer's wish in a couple of days.

As we've heard before, the CPO watches are shown in a separate case. So there's no confusion when the CPO item is in the store. But if the buyer is brought over to a computer for the SA to search for a desired model, there is room for confusion (inadvertent or intentional).

But there can be no confusion when the price is quoted...CPO is well over the MSRP of the new watch on Rolex's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In general I agree but I think there are people who wouldnt know what the difference (just from CPO tag) is unless it is explained to them. There are people who are unaware of the situation with new watches.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 04:08 PM   #45
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
Is it three years minimum from new for CPO status?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 05:52 PM   #46
77T

Until now, it has been 3 years from new. Not sure if it will stay that way.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:05 PM   #47
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doood View Post
My guess is Rolex will encourage ADs to move brand new hot watches into the CPO cases, or at least turn a blind eye. The play by the rules folks will disagree and say not going to happen, but this solves a number of gray market issues. It also maximizes profit, and minimizes warranty exposure.

When the market cools down, they can go back to the new watch case. It is brilliant, actually.

I don't think so

Rolex SA in Geneva supplies (in your location) watches to Rolex Watch U.S.A., Inc.

Rolex Watch U.S.A., Inc in turn supplies watches to the AD network.

Placiing brand new watches for sale via the CPO programme is not going to make one bit of difference to Rolex's profit on each watch sold. It is only going to increase the AD's profit.

It's also going to be in breach of the AD's contract with Rolex and whatever fantasy may exist in your and other heads, that is more than likely to have the AD's status withdrawn as it would be a PR disaster for Rolex SA and Rolex Watch U.S.A., inc if either company was seen to be complicit in that behaviour.

Rolex itself states quotes:

In concrete terms, the Rolex Certified Pre-Owned programme attests the authenticity of second-hand Rolex watches – that are at least three years old – at their time of resale by an Official Retailer displaying the special Rolex Certified Pre-Owned plaque. It guarantees that these watches benefit from the quality criteria inherent to all Rolex products and from the full know-how and professionalism of the brand’s worldwide network of experts.

https://newsroom.rolex.com/about-rol...wned-programme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Thank you for this clarification and reality check. So much magical thinking here about ADs selling new watches as CPO. Pure fantasy.
100%

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:06 PM   #48
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Is it three years minimum from new for CPO status?
It is, at their time of resale, according to Rolex Eddie

https://newsroom.rolex.com/about-rol...wned-programme

So even if an AD registered a brand new watch as sold, the AD would have to sit on it for three years before selling as CPO.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:52 PM   #49
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The difference between CPO and MSRP is that one will rise for the most part while the other will fluctuate in both directions. It should not come as any surprise what ADs are asking for CPO pieces in the current market. If you don't want to pay CPO, don't pay. But if you don't want ADs to try to sell you things, stay out of ADs.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:14 PM   #50
George.Costanza
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Until now, it has been 3 years from new. Not sure if it will stay that way.

Maybe different rules in the UK, but browsing the CPO stock yields many results for older pieces which are much older than 3 years.

E.G. Watches of Switzerland have a 2005 16610LV c 2005 being sold through the program.

Ignore: misread the post. My bad.

Last edited by George.Costanza; 30 March 2024 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Stupidity
George.Costanza is offline   Reply With Quote