The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 April 2024, 08:53 PM   #1
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Restoration Help!!

Hey guys I’ve stumbled upon this vintage oyster perpetual and would appreciate some help identifying some characteristics of the watch. Id like to know if anyone knows the age of this watch, what original crown would sit on this watch and lastly what movement it has. If anyone can help me identify these details thank you so much.

It’s an oyster perpetual Ref. 6334 and it says brevet next to it, its serial number is 88192. There’s a number on the movement 28671 idk if that’ll help but if these details help. I appreciate your help in the meantime.

Just realised after writing this message i cant post links, so if anyone could help please let me know and ill send you the imgur. Thank you
extremedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:08 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You can resize and post a pix.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:11 PM   #3
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
You can resize and post a pix.
OK will try again
Old 20 April 2024, 10:11 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Guessing this is a 1950s bubble-back. Photos would help, but honestly the information you want should be readily available using google given that you have the reference and serial numbers. The movement serial number isn't helpful, and when using serial number charts, note the mid-1950s reset.
Old 20 April 2024, 10:12 PM   #5
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Guessing this is a 1950s bubble-back. Photos would help, but honestly the information you want should be readily available using google given that you have the reference and serial numbers.
The hardest part has been finding out the movement and what original crown goes on it
Old 20 April 2024, 10:13 PM   #6
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremedude View Post
Hey guys I’ve stumbled upon this vintage oyster perpetual and would appreciate some help identifying some characteristics of the watch. Id like to know if anyone knows the age of this watch, what original crown would sit on this watch and lastly what movement it has. If anyone can help me identify these details thank you so much.

It’s an oyster perpetual Ref. 6334 and it says brevet next to it, its serial number is 88192. There’s a number on the movement 28671 idk if that’ll help but if these details help. I appreciate your help in the meantime.

Just realised after writing this message i cant post links, so if anyone could help please let me know and ill send you the imgur. Thank you
Here are the corresponding images
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 20 April 2024, 10:23 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Again, I'd suggest doing some research using google. But for crown, my first guess would be a screwdown crown with Rolex coronet and Swiss cross. There are many similar variants of bubble-back movements, so it's not easy to tell from one photo. An experienced watchmaker could tell, but here is some information I found in a few minutes using google.

According to this page (and I have no idea if it's correct), your movement is an A260:
https://www.timeconnectioninc.com/pa...6234-thru-6500

Here is the eBay listing for your purchase.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266759438601

Here is another thread on your reference.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=102518

Keep searching and you will find information.

Also, when creating a thread, it's useful to include some details to help the right people find it. In this case, keywords like ref 6334, bubble-back, etc. would have helped.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:29 PM   #8
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Again, I'd suggest doing some research using google. But for crown, my first guess would be a screwdown crown with Rolex coronet and Swiss cross. There are many similar variants of bubble-back movements, so it's not easy to tell from one photo. An experienced watchmaker could tell, but here is some information I found in a few minutes using google.

According to this page (and I have no idea if it's correct), your movement is an A260:
https://www.timeconnectioninc.com/pa...6234-thru-6500

Here is the eBay listing for your purchase.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266759438601

Here is another thread on your reference.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=102518

Keep searching and you will find information.

Also, when creating a thread, it's useful to include some details to help the right people find it. In this case, keywords like ref 6334, bubble-back, etc. would have helped.
Ok, thank you appreciate it!
Old 21 April 2024, 12:42 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Restoration of that watch is going to be tough. It is a gold capped watch. The best that a restorer could do is lightly polish the thin layer of gold and hope they dont burn through the thin layer. You may be getting into something that could potentially cost you more than the watch is worth.
Old 21 April 2024, 09:18 AM   #10
extremedude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Restoration of that watch is going to be tough. It is a gold capped watch. The best that a restorer could do is lightly polish the thin layer of gold and hope they dont burn through the thin layer. You may be getting into something that could potentially cost you more than the watch is worth.
Yeah ik all im gonna do is a super light polish, cuz its super scratched up, the golds only 0.24mm thick.