The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2024, 11:59 PM   #1
Saints1
"TRF" Member

Historic Adler's New Orleans Lost AD Status ...

Yet another one (actually two, since they have two locations) gone.
Saints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:00 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sad to see these independents go.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:10 AM   #3
Loosetoe
"TRF" Member

I bought my first Rolex there direct from Coleman Adler in 2007.
This is a loss.
Loosetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:14 AM   #4
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

That’s a shame. Bought a Panerai from them 7 or so months after Katrina. Good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:22 AM   #5
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Unreal. Always loved going in there when I was a kid.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:24 AM   #6
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
They lost their Patek AD status this past year as well.

Curious to know why on both.
Old 26 April 2024, 12:33 AM   #7
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I would love to know on what basis these decisions are being made
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:08 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

These are business decisions plain and simple.

Sometimes mutual, other times unilateral, and finally the AD itself may not like the new terms and conditions for renewal.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:30 AM   #9
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Rolex apparently doesn’t like the grey market, but seems to continue pushing its customer base to them.
Barada7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:47 AM   #10
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I think, it’s that new requirement by Rolex of the Rolex build out at every location,that costs $500,000-1,000.000 per location to keep AD status. There are some jewelers that can’t make that investment.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:47 AM   #11
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
This was a cool shop- but I am sure they had 1000's of people a week coming in asking for watches with their downtown location.

Pretty soon, it seems like there will only be 1-2 AD's per state? It is really winding down.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 03:41 AM   #12
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Is there another AD or a boutique in the New Orleans market?
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 04:26 AM   #13
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I don't think they physically had the space to create a large enough Rolex section if it was remodel driven for the closure.

I know they plainly played the games in the recent past regarding spend history. I can't remember exact conversations that I had with them, but it was clear. I wouldn't be surprised if the closure may have been driven by backdoor selling or other similar antics. However, I don't know how an AD gets caught with that.

Last time I was in there, I tried on a yellow gold Submariner. They told me it was spoken for by someone who paid for it in full, and they were requiring the customer to wait to collect it for a month so they could have it on exhibition. That really rubbed me wrong. I can't believe someone was willing to accept that.

For New Orleans to be such a large city with so much tourism and plenty of money floating around, I can't believe there now is no AD in the actual city of New Orleans! Just a couple outside in the suburbs that are Metairie addresses. That is a big loss indeed.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:14 AM   #14
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I don't think they physically had the space to create a large enough Rolex section if it was remodel driven for the closure.

I know they plainly played the games in the recent past regarding spend history. I can't remember exact conversations that I had with them, but it was clear. I wouldn't be surprised if the closure may have been driven by backdoor selling or other similar antics. However, I don't know how an AD gets caught with that.

Last time I was in there, I tried on a yellow gold Submariner. They told me it was spoken for by someone who paid for it in full, and they were requiring the customer to wait to collect it for a month so they could have it on exhibition. That really rubbed me wrong. I can't believe someone was willing to accept that.

For New Orleans to be such a large city with so much tourism and plenty of money floating around, I can't believe there now is no AD in the actual city of New Orleans! Just a couple outside in the suburbs that are Metairie addresses. That is a big loss indeed.
Reading this story, and many others, I can’t help but think Rolex is doing the good work by getting out of their distribution agreement.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:19 AM   #15
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Reading this story, and many others, I can’t help but think Rolex is doing the good work by getting out of their distribution agreement.
I both agree and disagree. As the market returns to normal, the antics will ease up. However, now there are less stores to shop at, which raises exclusivity and reduces convenience for a product that ahs to be sold in person.
For someone in a rural area with limited options, this makes it more difficult to get a new Rolex... especially since a lot of ADs try to direct you to the AD closer to your home or don't like selling to nonlocals who aren't whales, which is what Adler's in New Orleans did to me.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:49 AM   #16
Pius XIII
"TRF" Member

Not a loss AT ALL. The real shame here is that Adler’s was letting their main Rolex guy Adam make deals out of the back door for all of the hot models. He was clearly not interested in selling anything to actual enthusiasts and never wanted to bother selling anything else in the store. I’m sure he’s the reason they lost Patek and Cartier as well. He boasted about keeping his more expensive purchases of gold Patek and Rolex models off of the books so other employees couldn’t see his purchases. Good riddance.

Hopefully Rolex wises up to Lee Michaels’ antics of only promising in demand models in exchange for purchases of diamond jewelery and other slow sellers. Both managers and sales associates are very open about their quid pro quo policy. With this being the sales strategy for the remaining 1/2 of Rolex ADs in the area, it’s been very easy to lose all interest in Rolex as a brand.
Pius XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 06:42 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I heard that. Indeed disheartening...one of my favorite places to visit in New Orleans.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 08:35 AM   #18
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I would assume Adler's was playing games if they lost both Rolex and Patek and Cartier. It sounds like Adam S was playing too many games with customers.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 08:47 AM   #19
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Is there another AD or a boutique in the New Orleans market?
Lee Michael's - I think they have one at Lakeside Mall in Metairie. The Baton Rouge location over by Bocage is an excellent watch shop and highlighted by Rolex, Patek (only dealer in La./Ark/Miss region), Cartier, Tudor to name a few. Not sure about what the Metairie store's brands (Shreveport store no longer has Rolex).

I bought a Cartier Panthere and Nomos Zurich worldtimer at Adler's in December, enjoyed visiting with the SA and he brought out some off catalogue Rolex pieces from the vault to show me, I guess because of the nature of our conversation - he was a real watch guy.

Sorry to hear that about that store.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 08:51 AM   #20
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius XIII View Post
Not a loss AT ALL. The real shame here is that Adler’s was letting their main Rolex guy Adam make deals out of the back door for all of the hot models. He was clearly not interested in selling anything to actual enthusiasts and never wanted to bother selling anything else in the store. I’m sure he’s the reason they lost Patek and Cartier as well. He boasted about keeping his more expensive purchases of gold Patek and Rolex models off of the books so other employees couldn’t see his purchases. Good riddance.

Hopefully Rolex wises up to Lee Michaels’ antics of only promising in demand models in exchange for purchases of diamond jewelery and other slow sellers. Both managers and sales associates are very open about their quid pro quo policy. With this being the sales strategy for the remaining 1/2 of Rolex ADs in the area, it’s been very easy to lose all interest in Rolex as a brand.
damn Pius, Adam was the guy I was talking about in my post above. I hate to hear that. I wasn't showing interest in Rolex when I was in there, but we talked about watches for a good while. He did offer to hook me up with the Zadok people in HOU if I was looking for a Patek.

Know nothing of Metairie location of LMFJ, but again good things to say about the BR store with some no strings attached purchases - My brother picked up a GRNR about 4 weeks after registering interest with no purchase history there.
Old 26 April 2024, 09:10 AM   #21
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
My AD is currently doing a full store remodel with a new Rolex Section. Not sure if it’s a Rolex Corp. Driven situation or not - but the renderings of the new space are spectacular. Now if they can just get watches to sell. HA!!
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 09:33 AM   #22
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Airking View Post
My AD is currently doing a full store remodel with a new Rolex Section. Not sure if it’s a Rolex Corp. Driven situation or not - but the renderings of the new space are spectacular. Now if they can just get watches to sell. HA!!
In New Orleans? or where at?
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 10:09 AM   #23
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=wesdaniel;13242828]Is there another AD or a boutique in the New Orleans market?[/QUOTE

Lee Michaels just built a new free standing location in the metro area. In addition Aucoin Hart is also an AD in the area.

Interestingly enough Adler’s just closed their location in Baton Rouge which was right across the street from Lee Michaels Bocage location that Big Papi mentioned. The Baton Rouge Adlers location was neither a Patek nor Rolex AD though.
Nice marmot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 10:11 AM   #24
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:

Man. Sounds like you are pretty butt hurt. I'd suggest some cooling balm because you're not getting anything with that attitude. Have you ever bought anything in Adlers? Or just go in and try to get what long-time customers have been patiently waiting... a long time for and then you get pissy that life doesn't work the way you want to? Seems like you have a pretty similar problem with Lee Michaels helping existing customers before ones that come in demand. The point of "smaller" ADs is that they serve the local community and support the customers that support them.

Do you think that a business like that can sustain itself just selling the hottest models to chumps who walk in off the street and obviously don't treat people with respect? I say obviously because if you are the person who when they don't get exactly what they want, goes and anonymously posts completely made-up things online.

Adam is a good guy and did the best he could to get pieces to customers who supported Adlers. This end of collecting forgets that Rolex and Patek and whatever other brand's employees don't have it any easier than collectors. They immensely limited stock and non-stop requests. My previous AD for Patek in DC said that they have been getting 100-300 new Rolex and Patek clients a week. He had to retire a year early because he couldn't handle it anymore. He couldn't get new or existing clients anything and everyone is mad. Maybe just stop and think before you type out a bunch of made-up garbage or you just are what you write.
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 10:26 AM   #25
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Agreed
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 12:34 PM   #26
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapiDoesItAgain View Post
damn Pius, Adam was the guy I was talking about in my post above. I hate to hear that. I wasn't showing interest in Rolex when I was in there, but we talked about watches for a good while. He did offer to hook me up with the Zadok people in HOU if I was looking for a Patek.

Know nothing of Metairie location of LMFJ, but again good things to say about the BR store with some no strings attached purchases - My brother picked up a GRNR about 4 weeks after registering interest with no purchase history there.

Quote:

I don’t weigh in here much because most discussions watch-related have devolved into this sort of complaining. Plus many watch releases these days are meh to me, I agree stuff’s a pain to wait on, etc.

However, defaming the individual you’re talking about is not something I’m having. Unless you have proof of what you’re suggesting - which spoiler alert, you don’t, because he would never do such things - I strongly suggest curbing this foolishness.

Adam’s not some watch dude I trust, he’s a dear friend and a human I trust. We’re talking about a guy who served his country honorably and knows his business down to the ground. I would deal with him in confidence.

This person was the cornerstone of the Adler’s watch business before hanging up his loupe for the time being and is a total pro.

It’s a bummer to see these smaller doors close, and I’ve really enjoyed my visits and purchases from the Canal St and Metairie locations, but it’s a harsh to assign blame in this manner based on false assumptions and conjecture.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:00 PM   #27
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I don’t weigh in here much because most discussions watch-related have devolved into this sort of complaining. Plus many watch releases these days are meh to me, I agree stuff’s a pain to wait on, etc.

However, defaming the individual you’re talking about is not something I’m having. Unless you have proof of what you’re suggesting - which spoiler alert, you don’t, because he would never do such things - I strongly suggest curbing this foolishness.

Adam’s not some watch dude I trust, he’s a dear friend and a human I trust. We’re talking about a guy who served his country honorably and knows his business down to the ground. I would deal with him in confidence.

This person was the cornerstone of the Adler’s watch business before hanging up his loupe for the time being and is a total pro.

It’s a bummer to see these smaller doors close, and I’ve really enjoyed my visits and purchases from the Canal St and Metairie locations, but it’s a harsh to assign blame in this manner based on false assumptions and conjecture.
Makes me feel good to hear that from someone who knows him. I had a good feeling from him taking care of me on that two watch transaction back in December. Was helpful and cordial to this out of towner (I am from the Northern half of Louisiana) for his store and knew a whole lot about what he was selling.

I'll ad this bit - the Nomos I bought had a strap that was too big. He sent me home with it - it was a cordovan strap mind you - and told me he would call the rep and have the Nomos strap of my choice sent to me at home. Followed up on Monday after I was back home, got the strap sent out to me. Turns out the replacement was too small, lol. I sent him a text, he told me to keep that strap and he had a new one sent out and I had it in two days. Again, I was buying fairly pedestrian pieces - a SS Panthere with diamond bezel and the aforementioned Nomos and I was treated like an old customer.
Old 26 April 2024, 02:09 PM   #28
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Sounds like Adam is a great guy who knows watches and cost his employer their reputation and their medallions for some key brands.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 12:35 AM   #29
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Sounds like Adam is a great guy who knows watches and cost his employer their reputation and their medallions for some key brands.

Well, I have a slightly different take, even tho I have no stake in anyone’s business here.

I blame the companies - whether it’s Rolex dropping little AD’s, like Edward Arthur in Columbia, MD a few years back, a place I really like dealing with - or Patek closing a door at Adler’s that had been open for 80 years or something.

On the one hand, I don’t blame the companies for wanting to sell really rich dudes (as opposed to say, most of us) what they want, since the wealthy might also buy tons of other stuff in addition to whatever the hot watch is…instead of having to deal with the masses and targeting that audience. On the other, it puts salespeople in impossible positions, having to say no 100x a day to folks who just want to buy a single watch.

As a customer, definite turn off when an AD I used to like dealing with - Reeds Jenss in my hometown of Buffalo - put in weird rules, like “we’ll only sell you watches on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, and only if you’re standing here in the flesh, and turn around 3x and spit…” or whatever BS they spouted when I popped in on a trip home and asked about a run of the mill YG DD40 awhile back. No thanks, not listening to whatever that nonsense was.

Thats why I personally have gotten bored with it all. I like watches, they’re not investments, but it has gotten far less fun over the years.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 04:21 AM   #30
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Stopped in there while visiting this past Mardi Gras. Very friendly, knowledgeable and engaging folks located in a beautiful old-world store. Don't know the particulars about them losing Rolex, but outwardly they seemed to me to be a credit to positively presenting the line.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote