The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2024, 01:20 PM   #1
DaytonaDrifter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 6239+6263
First Omega In Space (FOIS) Modified with Plastic HesaLite Crystal

I swapped my FOIS Speedmaster's sapphire crystal with an Omega hesalite (plastic) crystal and it's the best modification I've ever made with any of my watches.

Once I found a watchmaker in USA that was familiar with this switch from sapphire to hesalite crystal, I pulled the trigger. Boy am I glad I did.

My hesalite acrylic crystal FOIS Speedmaster was successfully pressure tested to+6.0 bar without any problems. The improvement in my FOIS aesthetics and character once switched to hesalite crystal is simply unbelievable. Words cannot describe this enhancement. I love it!!!

The watchmaker at Clock Doctor in Scottsdale said that the hesalite trade is completely reversible without any case modifications required. He pressure tested my FOIS to +6.0 bar. Here are before and after pics:

Sapphire crystal

Hesalite crystal

DaytonaDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 01:58 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This looks great!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 02:26 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Is that crystal taller than the original hesalite Speedmaster. Don't have mine as a reference.

I definitely prefer the Speedy to have a hesalite crystal as it just seems right.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 03:45 AM   #4
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

It looks like you changed the dial and 9 o'clock sub dial hand as well!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:46 AM   #5
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Great modification. Did you just decide you did not like the sapphire? I am still not sure which I want. Love the sapphire back.
Old 27 April 2024, 06:49 AM   #6
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

How much was the hesalite from Omega?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 02:06 PM   #7
DaytonaDrifter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 6239+6263
Icon7 First Omega In Space (FOIS) Modified with Plastic HesaLite Crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
This looks great!
Thanks man. This is now my favorite Omega, definitely the perfect Speedmaster for me, and one of my favorite watches in my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
Is that crystal taller than the original hesalite Speedmaster. Don't have mine as a reference.

I definitely prefer the Speedy to have a hesalite crystal as it just seems right.
I will stick with hesalite from now on if I have that choice. This is a genuine Omega Speedy hesalite crystal, so the height is spot on. It appears to have a higher dome on these straight lug cases compared to the Speedy Professional case. This crystal makes the watch look very 1962...which is just right for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chro.nic View Post
It looks like you changed the dial and 9 o'clock sub dial hand as well!

.nic
Yes, good eye. This now has a 3594.50 dial, an upgrade discussed on other forums. It has the 1962 applied logo, and just comes so much closer to 1962 aesthetic. The 9 o'clock subdial hand was switched to straight white, which is so much more readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdock View Post
Great modification. Did you just decide you did not like the sapphire? I am still not sure which I want. Love the sapphire back.
I'd say 90% of my collection are vintage pieces, so I'm used to the look of domed hesalite crystals on my watches. This Speedy needed the crystal swap, because the sapphire crystal edge had the milky white ring and the distortion at the edges just seemed odd. This is so much better now; I'm more than sold, and a very happy camper when it comes to this FOIS Speedmaster now that it has the plastic crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
How much was the hesalite fr
om Omega?
I considered purchasing a crystal and having it installed. But I wasn't 100% sure which to order. The watchmaker charged $150 for the Omega crystal, which seemed very fair. I'm so happy with the result, I'd have paid 2 or 3 times that and would have still been happy to make this exchange to hesalite crystal.

DaytonaDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote