The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2024, 01:11 PM   #1
Rlx4mle
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234
Ladies Datejust 26--bracelet stretch?

Hello,

I got this preowned Ladies Datejust 26 for my daughter's 21st birthday and I'm not sure if the jubilee bracelet should look like this. Would appreciate all your expert eyes and let me know if you would consider this watch in excellent condition with the bracelet looking like this. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex6.jpg (155.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg rolex8.jpg (98.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg rolex9.jpg (112.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg rolex1.jpg (142.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg rolex3.jpg (137.9 KB, 153 views)
Rlx4mle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 02:28 PM   #2
ihavenosn16
"TRF" Member

my wife's datejust doesn't bend like that when held horizontally. I think it's also a 26mm. 179174 is the reference number.
ihavenosn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 02:37 PM   #3
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Did you buy it without seeing it, or did you think this was how it should be.

That’s a fair amount of stretch on any bracelet, I’ve not seen many women’s watches like that, it has been well worn.

My wife has a 179174 which has the concealed clasp, the bracelet is very tight with no stretch.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 04:19 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Off to Rolliworks for an overhaul
Old 27 April 2024, 04:58 PM   #5
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Whoa see how the watch head is tilted to make the awful stretch look less awful? Fixable and not for too many $$$ based on what i have read here aboit Rolliworks!
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 04:59 PM   #6
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Mind you I would add most non watch folk wouldnt care and therefore is it really an issue?
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 05:02 PM   #7
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Yes it's stretched. I have seen much worse. Your watch is a 5 digit reference from approximately 2004-2005. It has hollow centre links bracelet, which does stretch with time and use. Could the stretch on yours have been less? Sure. But is it out of the ordinary or unexpected for a 20 year old bracelet? I wouldn't say so.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:00 PM   #8
Rlx4mle
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your input. I should have mentioned that it's from 2005. The website had pictures of the watch, but it did not mention anything about stretch on the bracelet and I didn't think to ask until I received the watch and held it. I just went by the website describing the condition as excellent.

dannyboy123 mentioned that non-watch folk might not know enough to care and maybe my daughter won't notice it, but it is bugging me.

I also do agree with omar-rye that it is, after all, an almost 20 year old watch so that stretch is to be expected.

One last question for you all--how much would you pay for a watch in this condition? I'm just wondering if I could have gotten a better-condition watch somewhere else for the price I paid.
Old 27 April 2024, 06:01 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Still plenty of life left in that bracelet, make sure she keeps it clean and doesn't wear it too loose. You can always get a new bracelet at the next service overhaul.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:16 PM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlx4mle View Post
One last question for you all--how much would you pay for a watch in this condition? I'm just wondering if I could have gotten a better-condition watch somewhere else for the price I paid.
Did it come as a full set, with outer, inner boxes, and original Rolex warranty card? Was it recently serviced or did it come with knowledge of its service history?
Old 27 April 2024, 06:19 PM   #11
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Previous owner has had the best out of that bracelet, shame as I bet you paid double for the watch then they did when it was new.

I bought my wife a similar watch with bracelet stretch when we got married, but I sourced a brand new bracelet for it so it was like new.

Top tip, don’t buy used Rolex unseen.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:52 PM   #12
Rlx4mle
"TRF" Member

omar-rye, yes, it came with all boxes and papers. I don’t think it was recently serviced.

thesharkfactor, for sure next time I will ask for pics of the stretch if any. I’m glad I can get a new bracelet for it later on.

Thanks, all, for the help and insight. Love this forum!!
Old 27 April 2024, 06:55 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Still plenty of life left in that bracelet, make sure she keeps it clean and doesn't wear it too loose. You can always get a new bracelet at the next service overhaul.
I agree and you could remove a link and check the wear on the link and screw.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 07:01 PM   #14
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
omar-rye, yes, it came with all boxes and papers. I don’t think it was recently serviced.
Then I'd say $3500-$3750ish. Mind telling us what you paid?
Old 27 April 2024, 07:13 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Have to agree Bas cannot understand this terminology bracelet stretch its simply down to bracelet wear which in general is more pronounced on jubilee bracelets.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 07:26 PM   #16
Rlx4mle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Then I'd say $3500-$3750ish. Mind telling us what you paid?
Almost $6k I feel like returning it, but I only have 3 days from the day of receipt, which was yesterday Friday, plus shipping and insurance to send it back. Too much hassle. Lesson learned.
Old 27 April 2024, 10:01 PM   #17
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Almost $6k I feel like returning it, but I only have 3 days from the day of receipt, which was yesterday Friday, plus shipping and insurance to send it back. Too much hassle. Lesson learned.
I would be returning it.

I paid only slightly more than that for a NOS diamond dial in 2022
Old 27 April 2024, 10:39 PM   #18
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd think you paid a fair price for it. My grey dealer has a similar watch for £5000/$6250
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 02:00 AM   #19
Leeh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'es are fun
Doesn’t seem like you’re fully satisfied. Just return it and reach out to trusted sellers for a 179174. You should be able to get one at your price point or less. The solid links and hidden clasp (on the jubilee) is a thing of quality and beauty.
Leeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #20
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
it looks overpolished too, i would return it just to get a better example. 6k is a lot for that specific watch. even at the inflated prices the big greys like bobs charge, 6k will get you a mint two tone 26mm, so steel should be 4-5 for good condition. govberg has some clean preowned lady datejusts and you'd pay considerably less for them there. would be a lot cheaper if you go with a trusted seller but might be harder to find a good one there since they don't normally stock these
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 02:58 AM   #21
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Recently serviced, full kit, two-tone, 5 digit in beautiful condition listed for $4280…might still be available

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=939538
Old 28 April 2024, 04:09 AM   #22
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Let her ware it and see how she likes it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 06:35 PM   #23
Rlx4mle
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Thanks everybody for the advice. We did not remove the tag and sticker on it in case she didn't like it and gave it to her tonight after a nice dinner. She loves it She's already wanting to remove 1 or 2 links to make it fit better. She wanted the white Roman dial with the jubilee bracelet. At least I know that I can replace the bracelet later on. Where do you buy a new bracelet from? And can any jeweler replace the bracelet?
Old 28 April 2024, 07:10 PM   #24
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the advice. We did not remove the tag and sticker on it in case she didn't like it and gave it to her tonight after a nice dinner. She loves it She's already wanting to remove 1 or 2 links to make it fit better. She wanted the white Roman dial with the jubilee bracelet. At least I know that I can replace the bracelet later on. Where do you buy a new bracelet from? And can any jeweler replace the bracelet?
Any jeweller can replace the bracelet.

I would think that the best place to buy the correct bracelet would be a AD