The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2010, 06:30 AM   #1
watchthisone2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Got to share my vintage Navitimer. Any info greatly appreciated!

Hi All,
Have been looking out for a vintage Navitimer for a while and think I got it sorted. Its a black on black dial and has a serial number from 1955 I think. The interesting thing is that it has no wings on the dial, only a "B" above Breitling and the balance cock has BOW on it rather than the usual WOG. Does anyone know why?
I have also the receipt for a service from 2006, so I am pretty sure it is all genuine....I hope.
Many thanks, hope you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070194.jpg (126.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg P1070196.jpg (86.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg P1070197.jpg (155.2 KB, 147 views)
watchthisone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looks cool. They're going to have to add a vintage section to the Breitling forum soon. I just posted one but it's not nearly as cool as yours. Congrats.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Christiaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Breitling Navi
It looks great! Im not sure of the difference between BOW and WOG...possible replacement movement?

This is my 1967 Navitimer...

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been and there you will long to return." DaVinci

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Stipey
"TRF" Member

Breitling began producing the first navitimers in 1952. AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association) quickly made the navitimer their official watch, and thats the way the first navitimers had the official AOPA's official wing logo on the dial. MSRP for AOPA members around mid 50's was $90,-.

Since Wakmann was the american distributor for breitling in the 50's they sold the AOPA's in america. Meanwhile Breitling produced a very limited amount of navitimers with only the "B" on the dial from 1954-56, theese were sold on the european market.

The movement was the well known Valjoux 72, and at first they did not have reference numbers on the back. In 1955 they started with reference numbers and it officially became the 806. Nobody knows how many navitimers that were produced with the Valjoux 72 movement, but according to reference pages on the net, it was a very limited number, and the Valjoux 72 navitimer has become a cult watch for navitimer collectors and are the rarest of the navitimers.

In late 1955 the Valjoux 72 movement was replaced with Venus 178. The dial and subdials was still black, and it still had the “beads of rice” bezel. It was produced with this configuration until 1963.

Venus 178 specifications:
Lever movement, stem wind, seconds bit with second hand, column wheel chronograph with carrying arm, 1/5 second, 30-minute register and hour counter. Diameter 31mm, 18.000 BPH, 17 jewels, Incabloc shock protection.

From what it seems, it looks like you have the venus 178 movement. And its a very collectable and beautiful watch.

For more info check out www.navitimer.net
Stipey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Stipey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The interesting thing is that it has no wings on the dial, only a "B" above Breitling and the balance cock has BOW on it rather than the usual WOG. Does anyone know why?
The three-letter codes were importer's marks required by US regulations, which is why some are shared by several brands. Breitling USA was established in the late 1940s and until 1955, US Breitlings are marked BOW. In 1955, a marketing agreement was signed with the Wakmann Company of New York and for the next few decades, Breitlings brought to the US were marked WOG.

More US Import codes for watches here.
Old 11 June 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
ekeko
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1961 pcg 1675
Early Navitimers

Stunning watch Jeff, amazing original dial. Here's mine, it's about 20 years younger than yours but still exhibits the same great style.
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1238.JPG (245.9 KB, 97 views)
ekeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2010, 08:32 AM   #7
watchthisone2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stipey View Post
Breitling began producing the first navitimers in 1952. AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association) quickly made the navitimer their official watch, and thats the way the first navitimers had the official AOPA's official wing logo on the dial. MSRP for AOPA members around mid 50's was $90,-.

Since Wakmann was the american distributor for breitling in the 50's they sold the AOPA's in america. Meanwhile Breitling produced a very limited amount of navitimers with only the "B" on the dial from 1954-56, these were sold on the european market.

The movement was the well known Valjoux 72, and at first they did not have reference numbers on the back. In 1955 they started with reference numbers and it officially became the 806. Nobody knows how many navitimers that were produced with the Valjoux 72 movement, but according to reference pages on the net, it was a very limited number, and the Valjoux 72 navitimer has become a cult watch for navitimer collectors and are the rarest of the navitimers.

In late 1955 the Valjoux 72 movement was replaced with Venus 178. The dial and subdials was still black, and it still had the “beads of rice” bezel. It was produced with this configuration until 1963.

Venus 178 specifications:
Lever movement, stem wind, seconds bit with second hand, column wheel chronograph with carrying arm, 1/5 second, 30-minute register and hour counter. Diameter 31mm, 18.000 BPH, 17 jewels, Incabloc shock protection.

From what it seems, it looks like you have the venus 178 movement. And its a very collectable and beautiful watch.

For more info check out www.navitimer.net
Hi Stipey,
Brilliant information!
Thank you very much for your reply.
Really reassuring to have your help. Any vintage watch can be a bit of a risk and an expensive gamble, but your information has made me feel a fair bit happier with my purchase. Especially after I was informed that it might be a wrong'un by a respected dealer!
It seems that vintage Navitimers are a pretty big subject and I must admit I do not have enough knowledge on them.
Thanks once more,
Jeff.
watchthisone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Stipey
"TRF" Member

Just glad to help
Old 13 June 2010, 01:27 PM   #9
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stipey View Post
Just glad to help
Good info Stipey....
Great to have you on this site newbie!!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote