The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2016, 01:42 PM   #1
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
LG OLED TVs

I've done a bit of research and I've checked out various threads both here and elsewhere. I'm seriously considering getting a LG 65 inch OLED TV. I am currently looking at the B and C models what are your thoughts and experiences? Banding or Flashing anyone?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Star Ferry
Banned

From a value standpoint, I think it's hard to justify the cost. My parents have an LG OLED but I can't recall the size. My wife's parents have a curved Samsung 65" 4K UHD.

They're both really nice, but you pay a big premium for being on the cutting edge. Neither has had issues. I think customer service for both companies would be responsive if you did have issues, considering the cost.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 02:30 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
From a value standpoint, I think it's hard to justify the cost. My parents have an LG OLED but I can't recall the size. My wife's parents have a curved Samsung 65" 4K UHD.

They're both really nice, but you pay a big premium for being on the cutting edge. Neither has had issues. I think customer service for both companies would be responsive if you did have issues, considering the cost.
True, but at least the price has come down a bit since initial introduction and it's supposedly matured a good bit over last year. They can also be had for about $500 less because of price matching.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 September 2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
True, but at least the price has come down a bit since initial introduction and it's supposedly matured a good bit over last year. They can also be had for about $500 less because of price matching.
They both got theirs last year

With that said, I'm not against the OLED! I just get sticker shock sometimes, Dan!
Old 25 September 2016, 02:40 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They both got theirs last year

With that said, I'm not against the OLED! I just get sticker shock sometimes, Dan!

No reason to apologize. It's still expensive for a TV, and your right I will be paying more for bleeding edge technology. It'll be a bit less now than last year, but if I were willing to wait I could get it for even less.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 September 2016, 03:36 PM   #6
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Might be me but I guess at the moment Samsung is # 1 in TV Land

Years ago it was Sony but don't know where they lost it . . .

Just my .02
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 03:56 PM   #7
EP32k2
"TRF" Member

I have last years 65" 9600 and it's been a great tv. Mind you mine is a late build and LG addressed the panel issues by then. Early adopters had issues with banding and vignetting.

There is no LCD that comes close to OLED. LCD's are horrible actually in every category as far as a display is concerned. Sony's Z9 is FALD and it's priced like an OLED yet falls extremely short.

Panasonic is suppose to be releasing OLED soon, using LG panels. Pioneer elite diehards have converted over to OLED just to give you an idea how amazing this tech currently is.

There is one shortfall with OLED and that is input lag which only gamers playing FPS would notice.
EP32k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 04:00 PM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP32k2 View Post
I have last years 65" 9600 and it's been a great tv. Mind you mine is a late build and LG addressed the panel issues by then. Early adopters had issues with banding and vignetting.

There is no LCD that comes close to OLED. LCD's are horrible actually in every category as far as a display is concerned. Sony's Z9 is FALD and it's priced like an OLED yet falls extremely short.

Panasonic is suppose to be releasing OLED soon, using LG panels. Pioneer elite diehards have converted over to OLED just to give you an idea how amazing this tech currently is.

There is one shortfall with OLED and that is input lag which only gamers playing FPS would notice.

I've found a reference which pointed out most of the things you've mentioned. It did say the lag was less with the C but since I'm not a gamer this isn't really an issue for me.

I've been leaning more towards the B as I think the curve on the C may not be for me. However can you tell me if the B version supports The latest HDMI 2.0 or is that 2.1?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 September 2016, 01:03 AM   #9
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I have a 55 inch LG oled tv I got it las year from Frys Electronics, they had a one day promotion on it for 800.00 ! I have never had in issue with LG. The 65 inch must be great. Check out a Frys electronics online if you dont have one in your area.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 01:18 AM   #10
texex91
"TRF" Member

Need at least 75". Last time I checked 65 was largest correct?
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 01:19 AM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Samsung sells a 78" and LG sells 77"
Old 26 September 2016, 01:20 AM   #12
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Samsung sells a 78"
I was asking about LG and OLED.

I'm very aware of Samsung as it's what I own.
Old 26 September 2016, 01:22 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I was asking about LG and OLED.
I have edited my post to reflect that LG sells a 77" OLED
Old 26 September 2016, 01:23 AM   #14
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have edited my post to reflect that LG sells a 77" OLED
I'll check it out. 77-78" is perfect for my room I need a new one.

Always had Samsung's, but willing to look at LG (they make good washing machines :-).
Old 26 September 2016, 01:26 AM   #15
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Lg oled 77 inch is 25k
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 01:32 AM   #16
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Lg oled 77 inch is 25k
Back to 4k Samsung 78"
Old 26 September 2016, 01:32 AM   #17
EP32k2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've found a reference which pointed out most of the things you've mentioned. It did say the lag was less with the C but since I'm not a gamer this isn't really an issue for me.

I've been leaning more towards the B as I think the curve on the C may not be for me. However can you tell me if the B version supports The latest HDMI 2.0 or is that 2.1?
Are you talking about the B6? If so, yes it supports 2.1 and does both HDR and Dolby vision.

Bang for the buck right now is the 65" EG9600 for you guys in the US. They can be had for $2500 and should all be the latest build.
EP32k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 01:36 AM   #18
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I am following this thread with interest as we are due to buy a new TV and the technology has passed me by.

Can someone explain the advantages of OLED? I am not a gamer and don't want huge TV, just 42" wide or thereabouts.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 03:01 AM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I am following this thread with interest as we are due to buy a new TV and the technology has passed me by.

Can someone explain the advantages of OLED? I am not a gamer and don't want huge TV, just 42" wide or thereabouts.
Here's a user thread I found via a search I did on this forum that might be worth your time. I can't say it answers all of your questions but I still found it worth going through.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...hread-134.html

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 September 2016, 03:09 AM   #20
dddrees
"TRF" Member

With price matching on Amazon at $3999 it was a bit better than the advertised in store price of $4499. At least this what it was yesterday.

It now appears that today's MSRP on the LG website and Best Buy prices are now at $3999 for the 65 inch.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 September 2016, 03:24 AM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From what I've read so far they are touting better Picture Quality. Based on what I read in the source I pointed out earlier that can be other issues with regard to juddering (or picture stuttering) depending on the source and the settings you use for motion smoothing. Some other manufactures may do a better job of compensating or masking this issue.

Also it seems LG has embraced the latest Dolby Vision standard which most others have not. Seems these latest technologies can be risky with regards to what may or may not be used 1 or even 5 years from now. If it's embraced I made a good investment, if not and you choose one that didn't no problem. Who knows which way things will go but supposedly Dolby Vision is a fairly attractive technology to some at least.

I also choose the B version without 3D over the curved screen C which has 3D. From the little I've read 3D hasn't been fully embraced and may not be an issue. There are a few offerings and supposedly it looks great on LGs OLED. I could have gotten it on a more costly flat screen LG OLED but decided the 3D wasn't worth it to me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 September 2016, 04:07 AM   #22
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Thanks, that was helpful.

I know it is different topic, but rumor has it Apple is going to use microLED instead of OLED on the iPhone8. Supposedly better definition.

But at some point you can only perceive so much clarity, right?

Quote:
From what I've read so far they are touting better Picture Quality. Based on what I read in the source I pointed out earlier that can be other issues with regard to juddering (or picture stuttering) depending on the source and the settings you use for motion smoothing. Some other manufactures may do a better job of compensating or masking this issue.

Also it seems LG has embraced the latest Dolby Vision standard which most others have not. Seems these latest technologies can be risky with regards to what may or may not be used 1 or even 5 years from now. If it's embraced I made a good investment, if not and you choose one that didn't no problem. Who knows which way things will go but supposedly Dolby Vision is a fairly attractive technology to some at least.

I also choose the B version without 3D over the curved screen C which has 3D. From the little I've read 3D hasn't been fully embraced and may not be an issue. There are a few offerings and supposedly it looks great on LGs OLED. I could have gotten it on a more costly flat screen LG OLED but decided the 3D wasn't worth it to me.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 04:43 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know it is different topic, but rumor has it Apple is going to use microLED instead of OLED on the iPhone8. Supposedly better definition.

I think it depends more on how much your paying attention or what your used to. I don't think we've gotten to the point where it's so minute it's that difficult to tell. I'm convinced from what I read and seen that there are noticeable visible differences. However it also appears because of better PQ it also exposes various weaknesses that certain other technologies do not expose however.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 September 2016, 04:54 AM   #24
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
There is no doubt that any OLED is going to give you better picture performance. Only real question is now or later? If you need to replace your current one and you don't mind the premium price then go for it. If you don't have an immediate need but don't want to wait a year I would wait to see what happens on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I think you might see some decent deals especially since retail sales this year have been essentially flat.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 04:57 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe, but I don't think we've gotten to that point yet. Some may have reached point where it's not that important or have various lighting situations where one technology or manufacturer may have certain strengths which match those prefferences or situations better. I think it may also depend more on how much your paying attention or what your used to butI don't think we've gotten to the point where it's so minute it's that difficult to tell. I'm convinced from what I read and seen that there are noticeable visible differences. Besides it appears that the ability to do various colors and more specifically black and light are some of the biggest challenge to overall picture quality. This has been some of the biggest challenges from the beginning. At least for big screens anyway.

However it also appears because of better PQ it also exposes various weaknesses that certain other technologies do not expose however.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 October 2016, 01:20 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

I have to say that there's no doubt after watching this TV the last couple of days that the picture quality on this TV is simply AWESOME!!

Regular HD TV is good but 4K content like House of Cards on Netflix is fabulous. The Revenant on Blu-Ray 4K was simply mind blowing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 October 2016, 05:49 PM   #27
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
With price matching on Amazon at $3999 it was a bit better than the advertised in store price of $4499. At least this what it was yesterday.

It now appears that today's MSRP on the LG website and Best Buy prices are now at $3999 for the 65 inch.
That's a $1,000 reduction from 6 months ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 09:39 PM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
That's a $1,000 reduction from 6 months ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
True, and I imagine they will come down even further and of course there is even next year when the newer models will probably come out, but for me the timing was right.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 3 October 2016, 01:54 AM   #29
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I have a 55" LG OLED that replaced a 4 year old Panasonic Plasma. Not even close as far as picture the OLED destroys it. They are great tvs. Love mine and had no banding or tinting issues on mine either.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 01:58 AM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I have a 55" LG OLED that replaced a 4 year old Panasonic Plasma. Not even close as far as picture the OLED destroys it. They are great tvs. Love mine and had no banding or tinting issues on mine either.
Congrats, they are awesome.

Where are you getting your content so far. To this point I have the Samsung UHD Blu-Ray player and Netflix. Although House of Cards in 4K is a treat I find the Revenant in UHD to be Awesome.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons