The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 March 2024, 03:08 AM   #31
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Imitation ~ the sincerest form of flattery.
Happens in all industries.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 03:19 AM   #32
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
I ordered a homage recently, the controversial, made to order one even. It's got a lot of features I love about Rolex watches that I have owned or wanted to own, all in one package that was never offered by Rolex themselves. I want to try another 40mm watch, and the price of this one is about the same cost I would eat if I bought an actual 5 digit Rolex or Tudor sub grey market, didn't like it the 40mm size (again, for the 3rd time), and sold it again. In my screwed up watch enthusiast mind, that makes it basically free. I also couldn't care less about the alleged controversy, kind of an interesting story actually, and am zero percent concerned about what someone may think of the "homage" brand on my wrist in person.

Does the brand name start with a G? That’s what I’ve got coming in a few weeks.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 03:22 AM   #33
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

Sure does. I couldn't resist I've read 15 weeks is more likely than the 8 so I'm thinking around May for mine.

I avoided mentioning the name so the thread could continue, but it's been moved to Basement B already. We'll have to compare notes when they come in.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 03:26 AM   #34
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Some microbrands offer homage watches that resemble long out of production pieces that are vastly improved over the originals. A case in point is the Vario "1918 Trench Watch" which is very similar to the WWI vintage Rolex, but with a modern automatic movement and the Vario logo on the dial. I have an original 1915 Rolex that I wear on tare special occasions and a Vario homage that I wear frequently. The Rolex is manual wind with no shock or water resistance and a 20 hour power reserve and I don't want to risk damaging it. I'm thankful I can wear the Vario without worry.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 04:05 AM   #35
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
I ordered a homage recently, the controversial, made to order one even. It's got a lot of features I love about Rolex watches that I have owned or wanted to own, all in one package that was never offered by Rolex themselves.
Quote:

Kat
I've got one of these "starts with a G'" watches as well. As you say, they're almost a "greatest hits" of Rolex throughout the years - 5 digit case, 6 digit ceramic bezel insert, etc.

TBH, as long as watches aren't out-and-out fakes trying to be passed off as the genuine article (i.e. with the original brands' name and logo on the dial), then I have zero issue with them. In my own collection I have a number of 'Tudor-alike' San Martins. Why? Because I like the designs, but not enough to pay Tudor money for them. Plus they're actually very well made, they run Seiko movements that are pretty much all within COSC spec, and they're easy and fun to work on. No-one who knows watches is going to be fooled into thinking they're actual Tudors, and people who don't know watches won't care anyway.

At the end of the day I just like watches. (Fakes are another matter of course).
Old 16 March 2024, 04:38 AM   #36
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I've got one of these "starts with a G'" watches as well. As you say, they're almost a "greatest hits" of Rolex throughout the years - 5 digit case, 6 digit ceramic bezel insert, etc.

TBH, as long as watches aren't out-and-out fakes trying to be passed off as the genuine article (i.e. with the original brands' name and logo on the dial), then I have zero issue with them. In my own collection I have a number of 'Tudor-alike' San Martins. Why? Because I like the designs, but not enough to pay Tudor money for them. Plus they're actually very well made, they run Seiko movements that are pretty much all within COSC spec, and they're easy and fun to work on. No-one who knows watches is going to be fooled into thinking they're actual Tudors, and people who don't know watches won't care anyway.

At the end of the day I just like watches. (Fakes are another matter of course).

That’s exactly how I feel. I had a 5 digit Sub, and had it stolen several years ago. I loved that watch. So, this is a way for me to experience that wonderful case size, and a lot of cool attributes from different model Subs. Plus, it gets great reviews from online watch experts. Can’t wait to get it. I chose the blue bezel one, with cyclops.

Kat

Old 16 March 2024, 05:20 AM   #37
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
Quote:
That’s exactly how I feel. I had a 5 digit Sub, and had it stolen several years ago. I loved that watch. So, this is a way for me to experience that wonderful case size, and a lot of cool attributes from different model Subs. Plus, it gets great reviews from online watch experts. Can’t wait to get it. I chose the blue bezel one, with cyclops.

Kat

Somoene please pm me what is the G you guys are talking about 🤣
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 05:35 AM   #38
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

Quote:

Kat

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to run into others here, we all obviously love a lot of Rolex design features, but I am still surprised. I ordered black ceramic bezel blue lume date with no cyclops, but the black and gold aluminum bezel with gold sand lume was really tempting. It took me about 2 months to decide. If the quality is as good as I am led to believe, I may order a retro looking model too, but I decided that was pretty close to BB58 territory in price and probably quality.

What I actually wanted to purchase this time was a Tudor Submariner, a smaller watch for low key daily wear that doesn't attract much attention, but I couldn't bring myself to pay those prices for the 4 or 5 digit quality and ETA movement without at least trying this one for 1/4th the price with a similar movement. I see some similarities between them, Rolex design features, 3rd party swiss movement, and the history... well... I've dove headfirst into the Tudor brand history with enough non watch nerds who casually said "nice watch" enough times to know it sounds just as unhinged as explaining the G brand history would, almost no one cares about either one.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 06:04 AM   #39
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saransh View Post
Somoene please pm me what is the G you guys are talking about
I had one years back and it was almost as good as 5 digit. They made only 39 and I had that one but still sold it.

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 06:48 AM   #40
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
Wow that looks beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 07:05 AM   #41
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I think there's a fine like all things. Some "homage" watches use similar but broad design language while others are just straight copies with a different logo.

Until Rolex turns back the clock to 2015 when you could just walk in to a shop, hand over a bunch of money and walk out with anything you want, I'm all for micro brands making beautiful watches that clearly pay homage to the big name watches.

There's one homage watch that always has me baffled though. It's the The Gevril “Paul Newman” Daytona. I've seen it on the market for like $4000-5000. What's the deal with that watch? It seems to be valuable (relatively) and collectible.

If you don't mind me asking which Sub homage are you getting and what is the price point?
https://ginault.com/ocean-rover-ii-201175/
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:45 PM   #42
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I think there's a fine like all things. Some "homage" watches use similar but broad design language while others are just straight copies with a different logo.

Until Rolex turns back the clock to 2015 when you could just walk in to a shop, hand over a bunch of money and walk out with anything you want, I'm all for micro brands making beautiful watches that clearly pay homage to the big name watches.

There's one homage watch that always has me baffled though. It's the The Gevril “Paul Newman” Daytona. I've seen it on the market for like $4000-5000. What's the deal with that watch? It seems to be valuable (relatively) and collectible.

If you don't mind me asking which Sub homage are you getting and what is the price point?

+1 in Micro brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:50 PM   #43
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saransh View Post
basically the watches can tell time
and de Champagne can get you drunk
whatever floats their boat

I personally love my champagne from a family we know located in Chigny-les-Roses. You cannot believe how good small scale champagne houses can be !
I agree .

We have Seaview Brut sparkling.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 11:47 PM   #44
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a fan of homage watches or for that matter any type of knock off. Be it color or any other type of appearance. I would rather have an honest Seiko or other type of watch with its own history than a watch that is made to look like something else. Same thing with vehicles or other consumer goods.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 12:20 AM   #45
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Not a fan of homage watches or for that matter any type of knock off. Be it color or any other type of appearance. I would rather have an honest Seiko or other type of watch with its own history than a watch that is made to look like something else. Same thing with vehicles or other consumer goods.
Amen.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 12:26 AM   #46
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Amen.
+1
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:46 AM   #47
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Imitation ~ the sincerest form of flattery.
So true.
Rolex1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 12:13 PM   #48
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 02:43 PM   #49
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
*discreetly pulls shirt sleeve over Steel Bagelsport purchased on a street corner in Cambodia*

omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 04:48 PM   #50
Andad

Nice Bagelsport.

I have no issue with homage watches.

Not even with Blancpain copying Rolex.

Old 22 March 2024, 01:32 AM   #51
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Nice Bagelsport.

I have no issue with homage watches.

Not even with Blancpain copying Rolex.
lol in all honesty, that's a pic i found online, i somehow happened upon it a long time ago and it cracked me up, so i saved it to my desktop lol.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 03:20 AM   #52
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
lol in all honesty, that's a pic i found online, i somehow happened upon it a long time ago and it cracked me up, so i saved it to my desktop lol.
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 01:12 PM   #53
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
I want one.

Old 19 April 2024, 12:33 PM   #54
KatGirl

My Homage watch arrived today. Nice presentation, and a very nice watch. The clasp is similar to a glidelock, I believe. There are 2 half links included with the very well finished bracelet. I have an email in to the owner, as he somehow forgot to include the docs. 11 mm thickness is nice. Size is great. I’ll include it in tomorrow’s WRUW thread. Fit and finish are way above average for similar homage watches, but the price is higher, as well. Love the taper from 20 mm to 15 mm at the clasp. What this guy did was combine the best attributes from different generations of the Sub into one watch. He did a great job. A little too much text on the dial, but I knew that going in. This will make an awesome Summertime beater for me. I’m very impressed with the quality and chronometer specs.