The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2019, 09:42 PM   #1
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Replace bracelet watch with strap watch for desk diving

I put a warning here otherwise I know this will generate tons of 'a watch is meant to be worn comments' and 'this has been discussed before' which is as annoying as 'scratch' threads for some.. but anyway here it goes.

I have changed office so that I will work more on the laptop in a shared or semi-shared workspace. This means;

1) the watch will scratch more from laptop use, and

2) I don't want to remove the watch from my wrist while working since I don't know who comes and goes in the open office without any security etc.

With steel watches on brushed bracelet I don't really find this a big problem but with solid gold president and polished center link oyster this will disturb me.

How do you guys do? Don't bother, remove watch, use another on strap?

I'm considering selling a dress watch I rarely use and DD40 to fund a Lange 1 Moonphase in Platinum. At least that'd be a strap watch I'd like to wear.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 09:46 PM   #2
dori
Banned

Just get maybe a beater for the office, or restructure your collection and add a sub or something with brushed links... I understand what your talking about, can’t stand those annoying people telling you your watch should be scratched and look like shit . I like my pieces blingy and mint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 09:51 PM   #3
playford
"TRF" Member

Buy an additional watch you don't mind as much wear, or a leather strap you dont mind scratched.

Or live with the scratches.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:16 PM   #4
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I work on my MacBook everyday and my watches done get any desk diving scratches?
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:32 PM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Gold dress watches look fantastic on dressy leather straps. I'd go that route.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:44 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post

1) the watch will scratch more from laptop use

How do you guys do?
Boy that must be one tough laptop!

I wear my watches, they will get scratches.

Good luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:50 PM   #7
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
I put a warning here otherwise I know this will generate tons of 'a watch is meant to be worn comments' and 'this has been discussed before' which is as annoying as 'scratch' threads for some.. but anyway here it goes.

I have changed office so that I will work more on the laptop in a shared or semi-shared workspace. This means;

2) I don't want to remove the watch from my wrist while working since I don't know who comes and goes in the open office without any security etc.

With steel watches on brushed bracelet I don't really find this a big problem but with solid gold president and polished center link oyster this will disturb me.

I'm considering selling a dress watch I rarely use and DD40 to fund a Lange 1 Moonphase in Platinum. At least that'd be a strap watch I'd like to wear.

Definitely don't do a strap.

Any strap, whether leather, textile or rubber, will get gnawed through by the same laptop that is scratching your bracelet.

The strap will eventually be completely cut in two and fall off your wrist.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:56 PM   #8
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I wear long sleeves at work, and I always have a jacket on my desk to wear while I write on the computer, and keep my precious watch under the sleeve.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I hear you! I am retired now but spend a lot of time on my PC. My desk is cluttered and the keyboard rests right on the front edge of the wooden desk so the clasp of my watch sits right on the that edge. I wear various watches and the clasp as well as bracelet pick up inevitable light marks. I don't care much except for PCL pieces. I DID put a leather strap on the 116500 and am very happy with it.

I AM much more careful with my YG Sub and I don't wear it when at my desk. Granted a work environment is different in terms of what watch you want to wear. Strap sounds like a good idea.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Hawkeye1
"TRF" Member

Maybe consider a clasp protector like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Rolex-G...28dd%7Ciid%3A1

It's not the perfect solution, but like a screen protector on a phone, it does the trick
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:02 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have my 14060M on a NATO for weekly work wear.

And have done so for a long time.

Very light and the bracelet is happy In the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 396AB583-E8B1-4B7A-95DE-62C296608542.jpeg (165.5 KB, 405 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:05 PM   #12
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Boy that must be one tough laptop!

I wear my watches, they will get scratches.

Good luck!
I agree. What's the point of even wearing a watch if you're afraid of scratches. If you just like straps or rubber, I can understand, but to avoid scratches, I think that's silly. The case will get scratched at some point too.
The only place where a watch won't get scratches for sure is in the AD's case or a dark cold box in some vault.
Such a waste to look back 10 or 20 years and say, "look at this watch, it never got one scratch, I never wore it and took good care of it all these years".....ooookaaaay.....(took an L on that one).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
Maybe consider a clasp protector like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Rolex-G...28dd%7Ciid%3A1

It's not the perfect solution, but like a screen protector on a phone, it does the trick
I tried these. The seller is nice guy. Once you put them on, it's much less visible than original Rolex stickers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
mattsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:29 PM   #14
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I agree. What's the point of even wearing a watch if you're afraid of scratches. If you just like straps or rubber, I can understand, but to avoid scratches, I think that's silly. The case will get scratched at some point too.
The only place where a watch won't get scratches for sure is in the AD's case or a dark cold box in some vault.
Such a waste to look back 10 or 20 years and say, "look at this watch, it never got one scratch, I never wore it and took good care of it all these years".....ooookaaaay.....(took an L on that one).
And so it begins

There is a big difference (for many) between unavoidable scratches obtained through daily wear and knowingly introducing your watches to an environment which is likely to cause damage and which is completely avoidable.

Some laptops are particularly bad in this respect.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:31 PM   #15
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Simple answer is wear a long sleeved shirt or another watch

Old 20 September 2019, 11:43 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

I wonder if anyone will post images of the laptop surface after being defaced by a watch?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 20 September 2019, 11:43 PM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Interesting answers guys. Some sincere and good answers, bottom line there is no real magic. Protection, nato/strap, no watch or scratches.

Of course the mandatory comments but I thought Devlidog said it well, there is a difference between just going about your day and knowingly sitting there and gnaw away with the watch right at the sharp edge of a Macbook.

The solution for me will probably be to use the brushed steel watches like Explorer II, SeaDweller or Speedmaster but not DD40 while doing a lot of desk work. Might get another strap watch too though. Getting a Rolex rubber strap doesn't really help with the PM clasp.
Old 20 September 2019, 11:51 PM   #18
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder if anyone will post images of the laptop surface after being defaced by a watch?
No doubt an equally concerning issue for some

Old 21 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
And so it begins

There is a big difference (for many) between unavoidable scratches obtained through daily wear and knowingly introducing your watches to an environment which is likely to cause damage and which is completely avoidable.

I sort of understand your point but imho an environment where it's likely to cause damage isn't a desk or laptop to me. And I have one of the worst laptops for this, a MacBook Pro, I sometimes think the "pro" part relates to scuffing the clasp, but so what, it's daily wear, it's a desk, not a safari through concertina wire.
If the scratches from "sitting"....that is sitting down in an air-conditioned room...if that is considered a damaging environment then God save us from what happens when you stand up and have to go get coffee in the real world or go to a play ground with the kids, and even worse, have to walk through a......doorway.
Life for a Rolex is getting more and more dangerous everyday......meanwhile over in the vintage section everyone loves patina and tells you not to polish your watch, scratches give it character and this type of wear makes it yours as you make beautiful memories through the years. Were those vintage watches ever new, or did Rolex sell them already used/vintage and scratched full of that patina everybody loves?
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:09 AM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Life for a Rolex is getting more and more dangerous everyday......meanwhile over in the vintage section everyone loves patina and tells you not to polish your watch, scratches give it character and this type of wear makes it yours as you make beautiful memories through the years. Were those vintage watches ever new, or did Rolex sell them already used/vintage and scratched full of that patina everybody loves?
Completely agree and it makes you wonder if there will ever be vintage watches in the future?
Old 21 September 2019, 12:11 AM   #21
glamorama
"TRF" Member

It would be fun to see all the beat up 5711s and whatnots that we have here on this forum :)
Old 21 September 2019, 12:16 AM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would be fun to see all the beat up 5711s and whatnots that we have here on this forum :)
I wear my 5711 several days a week and here it is on the corner of my laptop

Old 21 September 2019, 12:27 AM   #23
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I wear my OP Date 1503 on a strap, but not because I'm afraid of scratching the bracelet, but because I bought it used and the bracelet didn't come with it. I think it looks great.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:27 AM   #24
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
There really is no good solution to your problem. At least that you're wanting to accept. If you wear the watch it's going to show wear. No way to avoid it. Accept it or don't wear the watch. That's how I see it.
toomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:25 AM   #25
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wear my 5711 several days a week and here it is on the corner of my laptop

Wow, although low quality image that looks untouched.

I came up with the solution now, type like a pianist with the wrists in the air
Old 21 September 2019, 02:32 AM   #26
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I wear my OP Date 1503 on a strap, but not because I'm afraid of scratching the bracelet, but because I bought it used and the bracelet didn't come with it. I think it looks great.

Looks good indeed
Old 21 September 2019, 02:36 AM   #27
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely agree and it makes you wonder if there will ever be vintage watches in the future?

Vintage watches with desk dive patina, don’t think they will reach popularity level of dive watches worn by navy divers or similar masculine jobs
Old 21 September 2019, 03:52 AM   #28
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
I'm with you OP I do not like scratches on my watch, my car, my motorcycle, my face, the walls of my living room, etc.

I have trained my arms such that my wrist doesn't rub or touch anything when I'm typing but I am also considering a black rubber or holed/racing type leather for my explorerII. Also before I was completely trained I would put a microcloth just under where my wrist rested.
Catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 04:45 AM   #29
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you just need to learn how to type with one hand!

https://images.app.goo.gl/FMhWJ8SNfWLUfVRg8

DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:00 AM   #30
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have a SENA case on my Macbook. Bought it to protect the laptop when travelling but it also protects the watch