The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2023, 06:33 PM   #1
chrisz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date
Icon5 Dodgy Rolex?

Rolex Day-Date Watch

2014 - Purchase second hand Rolex Day-Date from authorised Plymouth Rolex Jewellers (PRJ). Came with box and service certificate but not original document.

2016 - Move to Portugal.

2017 - The winder on Rolex watch comes loose, unable to alter time, date etc. Contact PRJ and request service and repair. I am given price of service and repair and informed watch will be sent to Rolex Repair Centre.

2017 - December watch is delivered to PRJ informing them that I will be back in Plymouth March 2018 for collection.

2018 - During February correspondence with PRJ informs me watch sent to Rolex Repair Centre and will come back as new.

2018 - Visit PRJ and collect Rolex watch and pay agreed price for service and repair.

2018 - Back in Portugal I am enjoying a drink with friends after game of golf. A French visitor to the club is admiring my watch and asks if he can view it. After inspecting my watch he states there are some irregularities with the watch. I ask him how he knows and he informs me that he was in the jewellery trade all his life and sold Rolex watches. He tells me to contact Rolex using the number on the service certificate.I tell him I do not have a certificate to which he replies all watches serviced by Rolex are issued with a certificate.

2018 - I contact PRJ who admit that the watch was serviced on their premises and agree to re-imburse me with the price paid for “the service”.

2019 - 2023 Stop wearing watches except on special occasions. Mainly due to climate and finding metal bracelets uncomfortable. During the 2 years of Covid I do not remember wearing a watch once.

2023 - Decide to sell Rolex watch as it is simply sat in a watch winder going around and around. Contact Watches of Switzerland (WOS) for appraisal. WOS offer £10,000.

2023 - (29.09.23) Watch sent to WOS to check. (05.10.23) I receive e-mail stating offer is withdrawn due to poor condition of watch and suggest selling at auction.

2023 - contact PRJ concerning this issue. Receive replies which at best skirt around the problem, e.g. “was this carried out by an accredited Rolex watchmaker”.

2023 - Four e-mails sent to WOS requesting details of poor condition of watch. To date no reply, not even an acknowledgement.

This watch was my pride and joy only to find that I am in possession of a timepiece that comes no where near the standards expected of a Rolex. Any advice would be much appreciated.
chrisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

post photos of watch
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Can you confirm that it sat on a winder for 5 years?

When was it first purchased or can you post the first 3 digits of the serial number?

Just for clarity.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:59 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
. . .

This watch was my pride and joy only to find that I am in possession of a timepiece that comes no where near the standards expected of a Rolex. Any advice would be much appreciated.
WoS is not Rolex. They are a used watch outlet and want to buy your watch as cheaply as they can for maximum return.
Old 18 October 2023, 10:51 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m confused about the condition of this watch ….

Can you post pictures please?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:01 PM   #6
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
Rolex Day-Date Watch

2023 - Decide to sell Rolex watch as it is simply sat in a watch winder going around and around. Contact Watches of Switzerland (WOS) for appraisal. WOS offer £10,000.

2023 - (29.09.23) Watch sent to WOS to check. (05.10.23) I receive e-mail stating offer is withdrawn due to poor condition of watch and suggest selling at auction.

2023 - Four e-mails sent to WOS requesting details of poor condition of watch. To date no reply, not even an acknowledgement.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
I wouldn't expect WOS to respond to your request for further details regarding the basis of their decision to withdraw the offer. I assume they believe that their explanation of 'due to poor condition' would suffice.
How about trying to sell elsewhere?
And as others have stated, posting photos would help.
Old 18 October 2023, 11:19 PM   #7
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Need to see pictures.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:21 PM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Your watch has been through the hoops so to speak. Not sure what is wrong with it or why you left it on a winder for so long. If you played golf with it, the rotors love that sport. It's value today is based largely on condition, inside and out. They are not rare, there are skads of unworn condition models out there so watches with any issues are severely depreciated by the market.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:57 PM   #9
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

The watch winder sounds reliable.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:06 AM   #10
Tarmac
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear, hope it gets sorted quickly.
Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote