The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 October 2006, 03:03 AM   #1
mo168
"TRF" Member

Help! New Rolex scratch on the face Submariner Date

Hello,

I just purchase a new oyster perpetual date submariner date watch 16610 and after wear it for 3 days, the watch face have one hairline scratch on it
and at the bottom it have a small nick on the edge of the face, (I am not talking about the stainless steel part).

Is the submariner date have sapphire crystal which was not scratch resistant? Or it had something else.

If I known it will be nick and scratch so easily I would have worn it more carefully.

Is it possible to send it back to have it fix at New York Rolex repair center and how much would it cost?

Thanks!

Mo
Old 31 October 2006, 03:06 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Mo,

A big welcome to TRF.

When you say scratch on the face, do you mean the dial?? In that case, if the watch is new, Rolex should replace the dial free for you.

If you've scratched the crystal, then that could possibly have been done only by a diamond. Perhaps you walked too close to your wife or girlfriend who was sporting a diamond ring!!

In any case, I'm sure Rolex N.Y. will fix it.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 31 October 2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Can you clarify, you mention the "watch face" do you mean the dial or are you referring to the Crystal. If it's on the dial I would send it back without hesitation, if its on the Crystal and its a new Watch then the Crystal will be sapphire which is scratch resistant. Have you banged the crystal at all, normally it would shatter before scratching or indeed if its had a knock it can chip.
Old 31 October 2006, 03:19 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF Either way, it sounds like an easy repair. Best of luck with it
Old 31 October 2006, 05:02 AM   #5
mo168
"TRF" Member

I have attached some pic..

Thank you all for the quick response. I have attached the pic I took using my camera phone now...

I only have the watch for a week and wear it to the club this weekend once and I must have bump into something.

I called New York Rolex Service center and they said it is normal wear and tear and I should wait for it to get more scratch before
having it service and replace. I didn't expect it to be scratch and nick so easily and it suppose to be durable, if I known I would have
take good care of it.

The Rolex service center told me the cost to replace the crystal would be $100.00 USD (Does it sounds right?) and is it worth sending it in?

Does anybody have this type of damage on the watch and what are your experience with it?

Thanks all, this is my first Rolex and I am still learning alot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (32.8 KB, 1590 views)
Old 31 October 2006, 06:01 AM   #6
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Looks like a scratch on the saphhire crystal. I got my 14060 used and it has a hairline scratch too, but RSC did not replace it as it did not compromise waterproof integrity.

However since its new, I would go back to your AD to get it fixed for free.

Sapphire is next to diamond in hardness and it takes a heck of a lot to scratch it.
Old 31 October 2006, 07:50 AM   #7
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Yes that chip looks fairly nasty... where did you buy the watch? I would take it back and have it replaced hopefully free of charge!
Old 31 October 2006, 08:03 AM   #8
seros
"TRF" Member

hello.
No problem. Search "poliwatch" in ebay for example (5-7 usd) and in one minute like miracle. No scracth
Regards an tell us if is goog solution
Old 31 October 2006, 08:07 AM   #9
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seros View Post
hello.
No problem. Search "poliwatch" in bay for example (5-7 usd) and in one minutelike miracle. No scracth
Regards an tell us if is goog solution
Don't think polywatch will work on sapphire crystal, its meant for Acrylic crystals
Old 31 October 2006, 08:09 AM   #10
seros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Don't think polywatch will work on sapphire crystal, its meant for Acrylic crystals
Sorry
Old 31 October 2006, 08:14 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Man, I'm so sorry. The scratch I could live with, but the chip might be a problem. They can chip if hit just right. I think I'd try to get them to replace it. If not $100 sounds about right.
Old 31 October 2006, 09:57 AM   #12
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
I scratched the crystal on my sub-date shortly after purchasing my watch. I believe that it's a myth that only diamonds can scratch the crystal. I believe that there are very hard crystals/rocks with sharp edges on many construction elements such as pillars on buildings, public trash receptacles, etc., that we can accidentally bump into all the time. The rocks/stones that these are composed of have many sharp edges that can definitely cause a scratch or gouge in the crystal.

I personally don't believe any AD will replace or repair the crystal, since this is a cosmetic problem and a wear and tear issue and NOT a warranty problem. The usual cost of the crystal replacement is about $90.00 for the actual crystal and then Rolex charges another $60.00 for waterproofing/testing to make sure the watch is watertight. The total charge should be about $150.00. That's coming directly from someone that's had his crystal replaced by the RSC in New York.
Old 1 November 2006, 01:01 AM   #13
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your watch. Rolexes are tough but sometimes things happen. See if your AD will replace it for free, if not 100 bucks would be worth it if it were me to get it fixed.

I am surprise as I have whacked my sub on numerous things thinking I would see huge gouges but so far nothing. Maybe it is just luck of the draw, but do know your sub is not to be babied, it is a tough tool watch!
Old 1 November 2006, 09:51 AM   #14
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Just curious as to why anyone thinks an AD would replace the crystal for free when a customer accidentally gets a large scratch/gouge in the crystal???
Old 1 November 2006, 10:56 AM   #15
kakalika
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub-Date
Hmmm...

I don't mean to sound offensive, but is that a genuine rolex? Did you buy from an AD? I had a Tag I wore through hell for 13 years and the saphire crystal still looked the same as the day I bought it. For a saphire crystal to get scratched and sustain a chip like that, it must have been subjected to a severe impact. I recently banged my sub crystal into a warehouse door hinge and there is not a mark on it.
Old 1 November 2006, 04:58 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika View Post
Hmmm...

I don't mean to sound offensive, but is that a genuine rolex? Did you buy from an AD? I had a Tag I wore through hell for 13 years and the saphire crystal still looked the same as the day I bought it. For a saphire crystal to get scratched and sustain a chip like that, it must have been subjected to a severe impact. I recently banged my sub crystal into a warehouse door hinge and there is not a mark on it.
Well, Kaka, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the watch is genuine, but a solid impact can chip a crystal.

It happened to one my SS Subs way back in the early '90s when a spring-loaded swing door came flying back at me. I put up my hand instinctively and the solid brass door handle chipped my crystal.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 2 November 2006, 12:34 PM   #17
kakalika
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, Kaka, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the watch is genuine, but a solid impact can chip a crystal.

It happened to one my SS Subs way back in the early '90s when a spring-loaded swing door came flying back at me. I put up my hand instinctively and the solid brass door handle chipped my crystal.

JJ
My apologies, I stand corrected.
Old 2 November 2006, 12:59 PM   #18
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Although the 'synthetic' sapphire crystal is scratch 'resistant' you will scratch it on a very hard surface which is harder than the material used, eg. diamond (as previously mentioned).

However, since the crystal is very hard it WILL chip easily if you knock it on the edge.

For me, I could live with a little chip on the edge, however couldn't stand looking at it with that scratch on it for too long, and would spend the $100 or so to get it fixed. Remember you're talking about a watch worth a few grand.

A lesson learned I guess. Yes, the crystal is tough but it's not a bull-bar.

Enjoy your Sub - great watch!

John.
Old 2 November 2006, 01:39 PM   #19
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

I've scracted sapphire crystal on 2 watches before - a Chronoswiss and an Omega Seamaster. The former was scratched by knocking against my wife's engagement ring - chipped her diamond as well (a helluva lot more expensive to fix). It's a hairline scratch similar to yours. The Omega was scratched when I went white water rafting - banged it against several rocks when I fell out of a boat. It's pretty beat up (including the steel). First scratches in 11-12 years on that crystal. The Chronoswiss scratched within a year. I have had neither crystal replaces, and actually really enjoy the scratches on the Seamaster - love the story that goes along with them. I don't believe an AD or Rolex will repair free of charge, from personal experience. Sapphire crystal can and will scratch, and it doesn't always take a diamond. The good news? In a couple of weeks (maybe months) time you won't care anymore. Enjoy the watch, and don't worry about.

Oh, and you won't be able to buff out the scratches. Nothing will work, from what I've been told by various repair experts.
Old 2 November 2006, 02:20 PM   #20
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Sorry - that reply sounded a little harsh. While you won't be able to repait the crystal, you can of course always replace it. I believe Omega wanted somewhere between $300-$700 to replace it (sorry, I forget the amount), and I believe Chronoswiss wanted something closer to $700. So if Rolex is willing to do that for $150 then that's a massive bargain in my book...
Good luck.
Old 6 August 2012, 02:51 AM   #21
timhobert
"TRF" Member

Hey all.

I'm going to respectfully throw a flag here regarding the bulletproofness (word?) of the crystal. Here's a photo of my 2 year old Rolex Submariner that sustained a scratch on the crystal (the scratch goes from 9:00 to the logo) about a year ago when I accidentally brushed it against a stone table.

This morning the watch received a death blow when I dropped it while sitting at my desk and it hit the wheel base of my office chair. A fall of 2.5 feet, max. Also the watch has never really kept good time. It runs fast by about 5 mins per month. Just thought I'd add that.

It looks good though... or at least it used to. :)

I'm hanging in there. Just wanted to let visitors know that sh*t does happen and watches - even Rolexes - aren't bulletproof or even scratchproof.

Tim
Old 6 February 2024, 01:27 PM   #22
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo168 View Post
Thank you all for the quick response. I have attached the pic I took using my camera phone now...

I only have the watch for a week and wear it to the club this weekend once and I must have bump into something.

I called New York Rolex Service center and they said it is normal wear and tear and I should wait for it to get more scratch before
having it service and replace. I didn't expect it to be scratch and nick so easily and it suppose to be durable, if I known I would have
take good care of it.

The Rolex service center told me the cost to replace the crystal would be $100.00 USD (Does it sounds right?) and is it worth sending it in?

Does anybody have this type of damage on the watch and what are your experience with it?

Thanks all, this is my first Rolex and I am still learning alot...

That's not the dial or the "face". Thats the sapphire crystal. When some people say the "face" they are referring to the dial. Some people also call the crystal the "face". Just call it by the correct name, dial. Face is vague and inaccurate. Also, the crystal can scratch and break

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
Old 6 February 2024, 01:39 PM   #23
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika View Post
Hmmm...

sapphire crystal can scratch and break.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
Closed Thread