The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 February 2024, 03:33 AM   #1
lawyerdude
"TRF" Member

Adjusting to manual wind

I know this is the forum for fans of the moonwatch, but I was wondering if people had thoughts on how they adjust to manual wind vs an automatic. I was thinking about getting one, but I keep getting cold feet about the manual movement.
Old 12 February 2024, 03:43 AM   #2
cuppa_watch
"TRF" Member

I do it when I'm bored, or get a few minutes between meetings, or when I'm waiting for someone. I'm happy to find a reason to take a break, take off my watch, and fiddle with it. The best part is that it doesn't have a screwdown crown, so I wouldn't need to unscrew it every time.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
cuppa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:42 AM   #3
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

No adjustment at all needed. It's a cool movement, try something different, you are over thinking it.

You have to wind all your watches if you have a rotation, so there is really very little difference
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #4
Keiko1811
"TRF" Member

I added a manual wind to my collection and enjoy the interaction with the watch when I rewind. I typically only have to wind it once a day but twice a day if worn for long periods of time. It has made me appreciate more how intricate these machines are since there a fewer "things" that operate without a battery, electricity or body movement.
Keiko1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:50 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Love manual wind movements, as above, it gives you an opportunity to bond with your watch.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:23 AM   #6
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
I really like my manual winds.. They are all vintage, so that makes it all more the fun. And as previous mentioned, you still have to wind your autos if they've been idle..
Don't fret....

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:10 AM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I understand your concerns.
Some manual winds are relatively easy and others not quite so.
I currently have two in my collection and it's apparent that the Moonwatch is fine once you get the hang of it.
The size of of the crown on it is great, but the design of the case limits accessibility. Despite that I note that it gets easier over time as the seals and parts wear in. Either that or my dexterity improves markedly
But I tend to think things loosen up a fair bit as resistance decreases.
I had a similar experience with my manual wind dress watch despite having easy access to the crown, the crown was on the small side. So there's that aspect of it.

The nicest manual wind I have ever handled by far was a Dornbluth. It was a dream
My DSSD in also a dream with the generous crown size, but that's a totally different thing altogether as I only wind it a few times(5-6) to put enough power into it so that it will run from whenever it's in a stopped condition

Otherwise perseverance and dexterity are key aspects with a Moonwatch if unaccustomed to it.
Also if you have especially soft hands and fingers it will be a bit of a challenge in the early stages until your thumb and finger become conditioned.
I suggest going into the dealers around your locality and trying for yourself on a new one on display to see how you go.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:37 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Goodness, goodness, goodness.....

Folks needing to get "used" to the most common type of wristwatch in the history of the world.
Old 12 February 2024, 09:04 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Goodness, goodness, goodness.....

Folks needing to get "used" to the most common type of wristwatch in the history of the world.
Understandable really in this world full of touch buttons and touch screens.
Switches and knobs are becoming a thing of the past as well.

Pick up an Apple Watch or one of those other things that are made in a similar fashion and it becomes obvious how tech is implemented in cars or laptops etc, etc with quartz technology and LED and LCD.
It's hard to keep up when we get to a certain age really

We just bought my Mother in law a very simple cheap little car to get around town to help maintain her connection to the broader community and being in her mid 80's and competent behind the wheel, it's taken a few days of chaperoning her in the vehicle to get her used to how it all works and comfortable with what to be not concerned with and the little bells and chimes that go with these modern things.
The simpler the better. That's why I am appreciating manual winds that I left behind 40 odd years ago.
Going full circle has been wonderful after the fascination with Auto winders and the Quartz tech of that era.
No more Auto winders for me. I'm done.

I can see a Dornie coming over the horizon for the next one.
Old 12 February 2024, 11:33 AM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Oh, come on. You get dressed, wind your watch, put it on, and go do your thing. I can't believe we're talking about this
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:31 PM   #11
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
and, I you are the forgetful kind, twice a day you will have the right time
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:07 PM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Oh, come on. You get dressed, wind your watch, put it on, and go do your thing. I can't believe we're talking about this
This type of question comes up occasionally.
Especially on other forums that have a fairly high percentage of interest in watches which are exclusively manual winders. There's nothing new about this issue as well as related to difficulty in winding their watch and knowing what it feels when it comes to stop the winding.

Those who are new to the Speedy Pro do occasionally have issues, especially with the difficulty of gripping the crown to wind it and working around the crown guards and pushers.
It's been an age old issue which leads to poor winding practices that are equally age old.

At least the OP was savy enough to mention winding the best practice of removing the watch and winding the watch off the wrist.
I hope he doesn't fall into the trap of winding it with one finger thereby potentially damaging the Winding Stem over time

I see no reason to mock the OP for asking the question on an Omega forum.
There's no wrong question as Larry himself has advised me in the past and I have taken on board.
Old 12 February 2024, 01:37 PM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
This type of question comes up occasionally.
Especially on other forums that have a fairly high percentage of interest in watches which are exclusively manual winders. There's nothing new about this issue as well as related to difficulty in winding their watch and knowing what it feels when it comes to stop the winding.

Those who are new to the Speedy Pro do occasionally have issues, especially with the difficulty of gripping the crown to wind it and working around the crown guards and pushers.
It's been an age old issue which leads to poor winding practices that are equally age old.

At least the OP was savy enough to mention winding the best practice of removing the watch and winding the watch off the wrist.
I hope he doesn't fall into the trap of winding it with one finger thereby potentially damaging the Winding Stem over time

I see no reason to mock the OP for asking the question on an Omega forum.
There's no wrong question as Larry himself has advised me in the past and I have taken on board.
Hey, I gave the man a straight answer to his question: you get dressed, you wind your watch, you put it on, and you go out for your day. This is what he would need to become accustomed to. Okay, I'll shut up now
Old 14 February 2024, 10:08 AM   #14
lawyerdude
"TRF" Member

As my kids would say, you guys are such bullies. I ordered one. Will let you know how i cope when it comes.
Old 14 February 2024, 10:29 AM   #15
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
Manual wind is my favorite part of a speedmaster
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:27 PM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The previous Moonwatch was a PITA to wind but it seems like the 3861 is a much more buttery experience. If that while dial Speedy gets released I may find myself back in the manual wind camp.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 03:50 PM   #17
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdude View Post
As my kids would say, you guys are such bullies. I ordered one. Will let you know how i cope when it comes.
Cool

A well configured DJ and a Speedmaster Pro make a great pair
Old 18 February 2024, 06:38 PM   #18
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
In my case, I rotate between 5 watches, so whether a watch is automatic or manual is somewhat of a moot point. I have to wind all my watches anyway because I could go a week or two without wearing each one of them.

The Speedmaster is my only manual watch, and the nice thing about it is that it has no date to set. Plus, for whatever reason, I’m always less concerned about how accurate it is. With all my other watches, I’m always concerned about the accuracy (which is sort of strange I suppose).

With all that said…If I were a one watch guy, I’d probably prefer an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 06:49 PM   #19
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Hey, I gave the man a straight answer to his question: you get dressed, you wind your watch, you put it on, and you go out for your day. This is what he would need to become accustomed to. Okay, I'll shut up now

Can’t agree with you. The right order is to pick your watch from the nightstand immediately after you open your eyes, and to wind it thinking about your plans for the day. Only after that you’re allowed to go to bathroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 07:23 PM   #20
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

More than half of my mechanical watches are manual wind.

It is the best kind for a tactile and audible enjoyment I get from watches, ESPECIALLY vintage ones, they have narrow crowns, that are easier to grip and the clicks while winding are much more pronounced.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:04 PM   #21
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdude View Post
That’s great! Congratulations and I hope you love it.

I wouldn’t have an issue winding or remembering to wind. I have a medium sized collection and I try to wear a watch for a whole week. Put away, pull out another one and wear for another week. I always have to wind no matter what