The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2021, 02:18 AM   #1
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Annual Calendar advice.....

Ok, looking for some advice if I may kindly ask?

Whilst I have had (and retain) many watches I have never had anything particularly complicated. I wear all my watches in my collection, so they always spend a couple of days on my wrist (maximum) and then go back in the safe - to be wound again when I next reach for that watch.

I now have an Annual Calendar/Moonphase Patek arriving: should I be looking to keep such a complication on a watch winder? Or just enjoy setting it whenever I reach for it? If you ask the AD they of course want to sell you a watch winder, so would be grateful for some impartial advice. My worry would be that the regular re-setting of the AC/Moonphase could damage the movement? Or not?
Old 25 March 2021, 02:23 AM   #2
ec00421
Banned

I try not to put any of my watches in winders. I feel as though winders would just cause unnecessary wear to the movement. Also, I think setting the watch is a part of the fun in owning watches, and regular re-setting of the calendar would not cause damage to the movement provided you do it correctly.

Just my 2c.
ec00421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 02:45 AM   #3
Custom02
"TRF" Member

I used to be very against winders but since having a 5396 a couple of years I would firmly recommend getting one. Setting it correctly can take a while, especially if you want to get the moonphase right and the alternative is to wind it on day by day for the for the time you haven't worn it which is a bit tedious once to get up to a week or beyond. PP make a very nice winder that you're given when you buy an automatic perpetual calendar but suspect that if you ask nicely it's not out the question they might give you one with an AC too.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 02:48 AM   #4
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

The only watch of mine on a winder is the 5205G AC. The lubricants in watches dry out over time, whether you wear it or not, so not wearing it still requires a tune up for that. You can argue the merits of whether the gears, etc wear out faster, which may be true, but for me the pain of having to reset my AC >>> dealing with "wear and tear" when it comes time for service (again, assume given 2 identical watches the lubricants dry out at the same time be it worn or unworn, can't get around that).

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 03:02 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrikus View Post
. . .
I now have an Annual Calendar/Moonphase Patek arriving: should I be looking to keep such a complication on a watch winder? Or just enjoy setting it whenever I reach for it? If you ask the AD they of course want to sell you a watch winder, so would be grateful for some impartial advice. My worry would be that the regular re-setting of the AC/Moonphase could damage the movement? Or not?

If a watch is too bothersome to use, it frequently doesn't get used.
Old 25 March 2021, 03:13 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

When I purchased my first Patek AC, I had it on a watch winder for a while, perhaps for the first year. I wore the watch on a rotation and didn't want to reset it when I picked it up. Eventually I stopped using the watch winder when the watch did not remain in the regular rotation. I had it on either an Orbita or Wolf Design winder. But there are certainly other decent brands.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 03:36 AM   #7
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I'm not fully experienced yet with having just recently purchased an AC end of last year, but I would say it doesn't really matter (winder or no winder).

If you like interacting with your watch or won't be wearing it too often, then simply leave it as-is and spend a few minutes setting the time.

If you wear often enough (perhaps the power reserve can last long enough) or if you hate setting the time, then get a nice winder.

I don't think there are any negatives other than the usual wear and tear of simply time passing and typical service intervals.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 07:59 AM   #8
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Can recommend Swiss Kubik winders, fits nicely inside most safes and batteries literally last for years.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 06:00 PM   #9
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and time - truly appreciated and what makes this forum great.
Old 25 March 2021, 08:36 PM   #10
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
After setting a mine incorrectly and damaging the movement, spending several $$$$ for a repair that took 9 months. I decided to put all my "non-quickset" watches on a winder. ESP my perpetual. For the past 4 years about the only thing I really need to do is adjust the minute hand (loses about 3sec/day). My watches with QuickSett dates, I do not keep on a winder.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 08:57 PM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I never use winder. I can adjust my PC in less than 3 minutes - it is not that onerous and I don't find it a chore.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 11:04 PM   #12
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I never use winder. I can adjust my PC in less than 3 minutes - it is not that onerous and I don't find it a chore.

You are smarter than the average Bear. Because I don't wear my PC much I never remember what pusher does what????

So out with the manuel. Find my loupe, because my eyes can't see the small detail on the dial. Determine if I'm out of the danger zone. Find my pusher, start pushing. Go PAST the place I'm suppose to be on the date. Push 31 more times. After 30-40 minutes with my wife screaming at me we leave for dinner 20 minutes late. Then I have to explain to our friends that I wasn't able to set my watch correctly. They think, what kind of idiot can't set a watch? I finally go back home only to find out the ONLY maker I have right is the DAY. Both the Month and Date are not correct. GOD only knows if the moonphase is right, but then does anybody really care? Take it off after 3 hours and put it back in the safe. REPEAT 2 months later (The month will be corrrect by then).
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 11:08 PM   #13
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Hahaha, this made me chuckle! I fear this could be me - we shall see, it arrives in a few days!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
You are smarter than the average Bear. Because I don't wear my PC much I never remember what pusher does what????

So out with the manuel. Find my loupe, because my eyes can't see the small detail on the dial. Determine if I'm out of the danger zone. Find my pusher, start pushing. Go PAST the place I'm suppose to be on the date. Push 31 more times. After 30-40 minutes with my wife screaming at me we leave for dinner 20 minutes late. Then I have to explain to our friends that I wasn't able to set my watch correctly. They think, what kind of idiot can't set a watch? I finally go back home only to find out the ONLY maker I have right is the DAY. Both the Month and Date are not correct. GOD only knows if the moonphase is right, but then does anybody really care? Take it off after 3 hours and put it back in the safe. REPEAT 2 months later (The month will be corrrect by then).
Old 26 March 2021, 11:17 PM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:

It's quite intuitive. This is how I remember (I also saved below pics in my handphone gallery in case I need quick reference):

IMG_26032021_212119_(800_x_900_pixel).jpg
IMG_26032021_210711_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Pusher A is closest to the day of the week. Pusher D is closest to the moonphase. These 2 are easy to associate.

The trick is then to remember Pushers B and C. Looking at the location of the sub dials, the right one (month and leap year) is closest to Pusher C. The last one for the date is Pusher B then.

For the actual setting, whether AC or PC, I always set to 6am first, then push the date to 1st day of the month (I can remember this key step after a few setting). Then correct month, date and the rest of sequence are not too important.

I also rotate my watches a lot and thus I'm quite familiar with watch setting on all my watches. Practice makes perfect and sometimes I use toothpick haha.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 11:30 PM   #15
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I can so relate to all of this...

Quote:

Including the late dinner appointment and my wife yelling at me.

However I am getting much better at it and as noted above, practice does make perfect...
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 11:32 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think I’ll pass on PC. 5270p too big for me anyways
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 01:57 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
It's quite intuitive. This is how I remember (I also saved below pics in my handphone gallery in case I need quick reference):

Attachment 1210992
Attachment 1210980

Pusher A is closest to the day of the week. Pusher D is closest to the moonphase. These 2 are easy to associate.

The trick is then to remember Pushers B and C. Looking at the location of the sub dials, the right one (month and leap year) is closest to Pusher C. The last one for the date is Pusher B then.

For the actual setting, whether AC or PC, I always set to 6am first, then push the date to 1st day of the month (I can remember this key step after a few setting). Then correct month, date and the rest of sequence are not too important.

I also rotate my watches a lot and thus I'm quite familiar with watch setting on all my watches. Practice makes perfect and sometimes I use toothpick haha.
This is a smart idea. I saved the manual on Google Drive.

Although my watch is still incoming but I want to be prepared
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:13 AM   #18
llngoc
"TRF" Member

This is such a religious topic, but here is my 2 cents...

A proper winder should not cause more wear to a modern watch. Get one which is well made so it is shielded magnetically and with programmable TPD to match your movement and you should be fine. You should not overwind the watch but a programmable winder should take care of it. Remember that your watch will need service regardless if it is running or not.

My take on it is that constantly setting the watch, especially for watch with a screw down crown, it may actually do more harm to the screw threads. I think that was why Rolex made the Oyster watches an automatic watch.

But honestly, I don't think it matters in the end since your watch is supposed to go back into service every X years anyway. During service, any worn out parts should have been replaced.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:22 AM   #19
ts3
"TRF" Member

IDK... Buying a low-tech electric device to keep your oh so complicated and high-end mechanical timepiece(s) running takes a lot of the romance away I think. Why not get a quartz watch if one isn't willing to adjust a mechanical one? I am joking, but still. Admittedly, I don't feel the pain as I neither need numerous watches ready to go all the time nor do I own any AC, PC, or 15202 at this point.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 12:29 AM   #20
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
IDK... Buying a low-tech electric device to keep your oh so complicated and high-end mechanical timepiece(s) running takes a lot of the romance away I think. Why not get a quartz watch if one isn't willing to adjust a mechanical one? I am joking, but still. Admittedly, I don't feel the pain as I neither need numerous watches ready to go all the time nor do I own any AC, PC, or 15202 at this point.
When you have around 20 watches (all of which you enjoy wearing and have not gotten bored of yet), one (or more) of which is an AC or PC which you occasionally wear for whatever reason (and don't follow a religious schedule), opinions may change. I had taken off my AC and was too lazy to put it on my winder, and went weeks without wearing it because every time I think it may be a good time to wear it out, I remember I forgot to change the settings and decide on something simpler so as to not be late to an event.

Those that can do so quickly are IMO in the minority, at least among those AC/PC owners I know personally (of which, ZERO have ever said setting it was no big deal lol).

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 09:27 PM   #21
italiafan
"TRF" Member

You know how sometimes you have an “ahah” moment and realize you must be really really stupid?
I used to be annoyed that my 5726 AC had to be set around 6am to be “safe” (my first AC) and having to remember to do it then since I’d usually be working out at that time. I’d time it with a weekend to get my watch out.
Then....one day...I realized I can set the time to 6am....whenever I wanted!
What a dope. :-)

(Another funny situation. My son was doing a summer in Spain, living with a family doing a Spanish immersion experience, struggling to speak exclusively in Spanish. He was walking down the street one morning and saw a guy talking to his dog in Spanish. And he thought to himself, “Wow, that dog knows Spanish!” About a minute later he realized how dumb that was. We still laugh about it.)
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 07:52 AM   #22
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Resurrecting this thread:

I have a 5726 AC coming in and I'm considering a winder.

Never used one, never minded setting my watches in rotation. And when in a hurry, the Sub no date or speedy are always easy.

Not sure though I want to take the time to reset the AC every time, so I probably will be buying one. We see
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 08:14 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Patek supplies a winder for their automatic perpetual calendar watches. I believe their feeling is, that it is preferable to keep the watch running continually rather than resetting it frequently.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #24
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Resurrecting this thread:

I have a 5726 AC coming in and I'm considering a winder.

Never used one, never minded setting my watches in rotation. And when in a hurry, the Sub no date or speedy are always easy.

Not sure though I want to take the time to reset the AC every time, so I probably will be buying one. We see
It doesn’t take long to set it up. 5 mins max half that the more times you do it.

I don’t use winders mainly because the watches go into a safe but also because setting it up is a joy for me.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:28 AM   #25
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The stresses on a watch from running are miniscule compared to an automobile for example. Most agree that the service intervals for a watch are unaffected by winder use. I only use a winder on watches with significant complications because setting a simple two or three hander is quick and easy. Re winders, the Swiss Kubik is in my view the best made of the offerings. Take another one apart and be shocked at the quality.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:30 PM   #26
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I use a winder for my 5146 annual calendar but no other watches. I find setting the watch a pain given that I need to find something for the pushers and make sure I have the watch in the safe zone and figure out the moon phase. When I didn’t use a winder I never wore the watch.

I have 6 watches so I keep them in rotation. Patek’s short power reserve made a winder essential for me.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:34 PM   #27
dauster
"TRF" Member

I put my AC on a wolf winder that pauses every 12-18 hours or so and lets the watch unwind so to not overwind the watch. Works great for me. If it the watch needs service in a couple years I’ll service it.

Winding the watch is not for me. Of If I ever get the manual wound 5270 I guess I have to learn it or more likely I just won’t set it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 06:51 PM   #28
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
If your watch has been serviced or made in the last 10-15 years with modern lubricants. Drying out of lubricants is not an issue.

So given that, you just need to decide if you enjoy setting the complications, don’t use a winder. If you think it’s a pain in the behind. Do use a winder.
A watch sitting in a winder does add wear. But not as much as if you were wearing it.
By wear, I do only mean that the escapement is locking and unlocking, so of course there is some where there and in the gear train. But it’s not the same amount of wear as if you were wearing it while using a jack hammer :)

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:23 AM   #29
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I leave my AC off a winder. It takes 5 minutes to set and the inset pushers are easily depressed with a toothpick. I wear it maybe 4-6 weeks of total time (discontinuous use) per year, so no need for a winder.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #30
JSol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Patek supplies a winder for their automatic perpetual calendar watches. I believe their feeling is, that it is preferable to keep the watch running continually rather than resetting it frequently.
Reviving this thread as I’ve been allocated a 5396. I’m a long time watch collector and know this can be a bit controversial.

I currently have an extensive Rolex collection and never had an interest in winders because I either wear them regularly in rotation and when they do need to be reset, they are quite easy and I enjoy engaging my watches.

I don’t particularly enjoy setting my GMTs, so I tend to hand wind if I haven’t worn them in a while.

My question, when you say Patek supplies a Winder, is this AD specific (like some Rolex ADs provide SWAG and some not so much)?
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote