The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2024, 06:16 AM   #61
Dividedpi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
What I will say is this watch is a slow burn but once you adjust to the size (and most importantly the WEIGHT) you will never look back. It felt a bit small at first (especially compared to my Submariner) but as I started wearing it more and more it really came into its own. If you have 40mm pieces in the collection, then the 36mm Explorer 1 will provide you not only with a completely different look but also a different wearing experience (which is amazing by the way). The thing disappears on wrist and you can wear it with literally anything (slips perfectly under a dress shirt cuff).

The one downside is it is not LOUD. If you are looking to scream ROLEX this definitely is not the right peice. Go with a GMT or Sub for more wrist presence!

In short it has a vintage size and vibe with all of the modern updates (movement, bracelet and dial) that make the watch so special.

If I could only have one (horror I know) this would be it.
This post is spot on. When I first got it I had a little bit of buyers remorse because it seemed “small” compared to what I was more used to wearing as a daily (GMT) but those those thoughts dissipated as I started throwing the explorer on. It’s now my favorite watch and the one I would keep if I could only keep one. In my humble opinion it’s a perfect watch and the size is timeless and understated. You can wear it in literally any setting. There is no other Rolex I feel that way about.

The only thing in the above post that I disagree with is that I think the fact that it’s not loud ADDS to the appeal in a major way.
Dividedpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:24 AM   #62
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

So I pulled the trigger on the 36mm Explorer......

Just arrived today, so it's waiting to be unboxed when I get home from work today.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:02 AM   #63
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ocho1~ View Post

Just arrived today, so it's waiting to be unboxed when I get home from work today.
Yehhhhhh!!!! Congrats! What a smart move, man. 36mm has been the size for a reason. You'll love it. I think I said earlier in this thread that my dad went from a 40mm YM1 to the 36mm Exp1. Took a week to readjust his eyes & he's smitten.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:18 AM   #64
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Congrats. I h a cool watch! I just ordered another, because I recently gifted mine to my son. I thought I’d do fine without it, since I have other Rolexes, but I didn’t think it through. I miss it. My SA says about 3-6 months. I’m cool with that.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:11 PM   #65
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer II
I haven't seen anyone else say this....For me 36mm is amazing with a dress shirt or sweater, but looked too small when I wore it with a t-shirt or polo. If it's going to be part of a collection then go for it and wear it with certain outfits.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:13 PM   #66
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:

Well it helps if I read all the posts.....Congrats!!! Post some pics and give us your thoughts. New watch day is always so exciting!!
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:33 PM   #67
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Too small
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:46 PM   #68
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
In my humble opinion, the 36mm Explorer is the best looking current Rolex. Congratulations.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:38 PM   #69
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Please post some pictures when you get a chance.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:54 PM   #70
Besttime
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations! Nice to know you finally pulled the trigger, pictures will be nice.
Besttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:58 PM   #71
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t wear it as much as I should, just because my daily seems to have ended up being my Czapek Antarctique, but objectively the 36mm Explorer is the best watch I own. The size is just perfect, it’s elegant without being delicate, and it keeps a staggering 0spd.

This is one purchase you won’t regret.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 11:58 PM   #72
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

So surprisingly it does not feel too small. Maybe because I put it on after wearing my BB58 all day.....Got home & the box was waiting. Yes, it is smaller than all my other watches, but it does not feel out of place on my ham hock wrist.....

Explorer I.1.jpg

Explorer I_1.1.jpg

Explorer I_2.1.jpg
Old 12 April 2024, 12:54 AM   #73
Chris_80
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 40
So I have a smaller wrist ~6.5 inches. I thought the 36 was too small. I’m in the minority of much preferring the 40. I think it looks better on my wrist and I love it! By the way, it’s really not 40mm. It’s VERY close to 39mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #74
jagwar.jim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Looks great, congratulations!
jagwar.jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:18 AM   #75
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

The only thing I might complain about is that the bracelet can be a little tight at times, depending on the temp. My wrist expands/contracts a lot.

A half link would be optimal, but searching I haven't found one yet for the 124270.
Old 12 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #76
simon101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
You do know it has an easy link extension for expanding wrists?
simon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:38 AM   #77
KatGirl

Quote:
So surprisingly it does not feel too small. Maybe because I put it on after wearing my BB58 all day.....Got home & the box was waiting. Yes, it is smaller than all my other watches, but it does not feel out of place on my ham hock wrist.....

Attachment 1429539

Attachment 1429538

Attachment 1429540

It looks great! Big congrats. Such a cool watch, and the coolest size, IMO!

Kat

Old 12 April 2024, 04:39 AM   #78
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_80 View Post
So I have a smaller wrist ~6.5 inches. I thought the 36 was too small. I’m in the minority of much preferring the 40. I think it looks better on my wrist and I love it! By the way, it’s really not 40mm. It’s VERY close to 39mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a 6 1/2 inch wrist, then the 36 should be perfect for you.

Kat

Old 12 April 2024, 05:06 AM   #79
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon101 View Post
You do know it has an easy link extension for expanding wrists?
Yes, I know, this is my 3rd Rolex.

But having the easy link always open kinda defeats the purpose of the easy link, don't you think?

I much rather have the perfect fit & then using the easy link when my wrist expands, as the easy link was intended to be used.
Old 12 April 2024, 05:43 AM   #80
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Help me to pull the trigger on Explorer 36mm

Quote:

But having the easy link always open kinda defeats the purpose of the easy link, don't you think?

I much rather have the perfect fit & then using the easy link when my wrist expands, as the easy link was intended to be used.

I played around with moving a link from one side of the bracelet to the other. It moved the clasp enough to get the optimal fit
/ friction and keeps the easy link for emergency expansion.
I have a 7 inch wrist and ended up 6/5 , middle adjustment hole

Yours look great

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
matthew P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 06:00 AM   #81
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
All that matters is the lug-to-lug dimension and how that compares to the width of your wrist. Very likely to look just fine if you have a "rounder"/more uniformly shaped wrist. If it's wide and thin, yes it will look and wear like a vintage watch on you. Nothing wrong with that, though.

I have 6.5" wrists and often wish my wrist was bigger to get more of the bracelet profile while looking down at the watch.

Mate, looks great on you! Congrats!

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 08:47 AM   #82
simon101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
Quote:

Sorry, I understand now what you’re saying, I thought you were just talking about wrist expansion.

It looks great BTW, I have the same.

:-)
simon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:52 AM   #83
JRique
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1429539

Attachment 1429538

Attachment 1429540
Pure class! Real watch, like the best Rolex in current line.
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 06:05 PM   #84
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Well, I was about to post when I read you'd picked up the Explorer 1. My thought, before knowing your decision, was your request for encouragement was simply a response to a feeling of some anxiety as the reality of the purchase began to materialize. You also shared a little of your financial situation, and what you shared suggests that you are responsible and conscientious about finances...and so, I think, it's quite natural that, faced with the prospect of suddenly getting what you wanted, that little voice, the responsible internalized parent, whispered, "Are you sure?"

So, you asked us for help with that question. And, I noticed that when people posted comments advising against the purchase, you tended to push back, politely, but enough to suggest to me that you wanted that watch.

So, I was not surprised to read you'd bought it. I am glad you did because I believe you truly wanted it and the good news is it looks like a great fit. I have that watch and it's a favorite of mine, for all the reasons others have described.

Congratulations...I think you will enjoy it very much.

Also, it will tell you what time it is.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:50 PM   #85
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Instead, those #$%@ers decided to release some weirdo 35.5mm case, 19mm lug width, feminine taper bracelet and too-small clasp. So upsetting. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Yeah, same feeling with the new Subs and their 21mm lug width.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 11:16 PM   #86
javier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassian739 View Post
^ I agree 100% with this!

Also, speaking from experience, If you are already questioning the size, trust me when I say that doubt won't go away. I have a 7.1" wrist and had a 36mm Explorer. It was an amazing and beautiful watch. However, from the beginning, I was questioning if the size was too small for me - and really it's closer to 35mm and not 36mm. I couldn't get over the "small" size and sold it.
I have a 6.5 wrist size and had the same situation and sold it because it feels smaller than a common 36mm
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 11:49 PM   #87
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'd love to help enable here, but I simply cannot. Why? Because Rolex messed up the new ExpI.

See, they could have simply used the existing OP36 case and bracelet (20mm at the lugs), add the classic 3/6/9 dial and professional hands, and voila! It would be an awesome watch.

Instead, those #$%@ers decided to release some weirdo 35.5mm case, 19mm lug width, feminine taper bracelet and too-small clasp. So upsetting. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have smaller wrists and REALLY wanted the new ExpI reference. But it's a pass for me. Hard pass.
So upsetting...
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 12:22 AM   #88
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Well, I was about to post when I read you'd picked up the Explorer 1. My thought, before knowing your decision, was your request for encouragement was simply a response to a feeling of some anxiety as the reality of the purchase began to materialize. You also shared a little of your financial situation, and what you shared suggests that you are responsible and conscientious about finances...and so, I think, it's quite natural that, faced with the prospect of suddenly getting what you wanted, that little voice, the responsible internalized parent, whispered, "Are you sure?"

So, you asked us for help with that question. And, I noticed that when people posted comments advising against the purchase, you tended to push back, politely, but enough to suggest to me that you wanted that watch.

So, I was not surprised to read you'd bought it. I am glad you did because I believe you truly wanted it and the good news is it looks like a great fit. I have that watch and it's a favorite of mine, for all the reasons others have described.

Congratulations...I think you will enjoy it very much.

Also, it will tell you what time it is.
Haha, yeah, you really hit the nail right on the head!! It was that pre-purchase anxiety of dropping more than just a few thousand on something I really don't NEED, but simply wanted. Absolutely the little voice saying "you sure, that's a lot of money....."

But guess I really did want it. And I'm glad I got it. As soon as I tried it on it didn't feel too small. No doubt it is a small watch, but didn't feel like I was wearing my wife's ladies DJ, haha.

Maybe the other day when I got home my wrist was a little swollen from being out in the field all day in the heat & humidity because the tightness of the bracelet is gone. Fit's just right now, but would still benefit from a half link if I could find one.

Think I may take this little guy to California next week, but then again, my GMT Master is the one that was made for traversing different time zones, so there's my next decision, albeit a much easier one, lol.
Old 13 April 2024, 07:40 AM   #89
toppanda
"TRF" Member

Congrats! This so-call "small" watch you're rocking has the same dial/crystal diameter as other 40mm/(41mm?) models. Many of the folks here with 6-7" wrists preferring larger watches may change their tune as they age and get some grey in their hair.
toppanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 07:43 AM   #90
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Pass on it. You have clear reservations about it. Honestly, your wrist is fairly large for it. Try on the Explorer 40. I’ll bet you’ll have no hesitations with that one. Trust your instincts,

Oops. Just read you bought it. It’s a great piece. Enjoy and wear it with pride.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote