The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 November 2023, 03:52 AM   #1
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Rolexing in New York City

Just got back from a four day general trip to NY and I had two specific watch related quests so here’s how it went. First off I took two Rolex with me on the trip, my coral red OP41 and my black 116500, I ended up wearing only the OP. Felt completely safe, with longsleeve weather the only people who saw it were watch store personnel. Thinking about what you’re wearing may affect how you’re treated, I figured the OP is unusual enough that it marks you as an afficionado.
My two missions were to see a Celebration dial of any size and also see the new SS “cotton candy” Oris that I liked in pictures. My first watch contact was walking down 47th St to see what the resellers might have. It was Friday afternoon and it seemed to me like a lot less watches in the windows than in the past. Tons of diamonds but a couple of the watch only stores were closed, kind of weird. I then headed down to Chinatown to see my friend Vinny at Las Americas Jewelers on Mott St. I stumbled upon his place when it used to be on Canal St, he’s a Seiko, Tissot, and Hamilton AD along with a watchmaker for minor repairs on site. I just got my 6th Seiko from him a month ago so mostly just a visit, I highly suggest him as a source for Seiko.
Next place visited was back uptown to the Bucherer Time Machine. Weirdly I was offered drinks on two floors but zero interaction with any sales people, it appears that much of their staff are “hosts” only. I saw no OPs on display and they didn’t have the Oris I wanted to see so I moved on.
Next stop was Wempe. Very courteous personnel as always but they did not have a Celebration in any size to look at. Apparently they did have some Rolex available as two customers had trays laid out in front of them.
Next day I hit up WOS in Soho. Had to wait a few minutes for an SA to free up, they too have greeters/hosts when you come in but that do not show watches. Also no Celebration OPs but I got to see and try on two of the three Oris colors I was seeking and decided after trying them on that the Diver 65 is too small for me. They call it 38mm but it feels more like 36 with a narrow tapered bracelet. I also added an inquiry to see an Alinghi Red Bull Tudor, they had sold several but none in stock.
Later that day I scored big at WOS Hudson Yards. They had a Celebration OP41 in the case and were happy to let me try it on and it cemented my desire for one. I have asked for one at my AD which will hopefully arrive next year. Of course I asked if the one I tried on was for sale and the SA courteously told me it was not. It was a fully stickered functional watch, not one of the older non working display models.
The next day I shifted gears and visited the Bucherer Tudor/Rolex Boutique in the Meatpacking District. No Red Bull there either but the SA gave me her card and took my info, said she would send me some pictures when they got one. Later I dropped into London Jewelers in the Oculus. Again no Red Bulls in stock but did try on some other Oris models.
On my last day heading back to my hotel to gather my things I dropped in to the Bucherer at Bryant Park, also no Red Bulls.

My analysis of my stops? Contrary to what many people here say, I was treated very courteously by every SA I spoke to. They all seemed to be true watch enthusiasts who would have loved to sell me a watch but did not try to steer me to anything I didn’t ask about. Service with a smile at all of them.
The woman at London really stood out. She asked me how I got my Rolex and nodded along with the importance of the “relationship.” I’m an older guy who comes in wearing a nice watch, makes no unrealistic requests, and knows what he wants. It really does matter. As far as Rolex in particular, I believe we’re still a ways before having full cases again but I truly believe that friendly banter might be what gets your foot in the door.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 06:14 AM   #2
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Big Kahuna 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 06:50 AM   #3
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
No pics?

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 07:52 AM   #4
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Sounds like a fun and productive trip! And a great way to spend you time in the City. I've had good experiences at WOS at Hudson Yards as well. Thanks for sharing.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:12 PM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

And by the way, I impulse bought my first Moonswatch, a Mission to the Moon. I wanted one since they came out but had pretty much given up as the few times I’d been around a Swatch store they never had any(shades of Rolex?). Spontaneously walked into the Times Square store Sunday night after dinner and they had all but two of the collection in stock. Not sure how much I’ll use it but a fun affordable piece.
Old 15 November 2023, 12:18 PM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

regarding you seeing some stores on 47th closed - sabbath starts friday nights so jewelers on 47th might close early, especially now when it starts at like 4pm i think. that whole block is run by religious jews
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:27 PM   #7
Armis
"TRF" Member

You put in a great effort making the rounds to all those stores
I’m glad you got to try a Celebration dial and liked it. Also nice to see you had consistently pleasant interactions.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:31 PM   #8
avv2001
"TRF" Member

A great debrief -- and I'd like to +1 the team at the Rolex Boutique Tourneau Meatpacking, having recently visited there myself. Great, friendly conversation over coffee, and able to try on multiple pieces without being rushed. Overall quite a good experience.
avv2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:49 PM   #9
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Fantastic debrief, and sounds like you had an amazing time exploring NY!

Also +1 for Bucherer / Tourneau, both Time Machine on 57th and Meatpacking, I've been treated with nothing but respect.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:57 PM   #10
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Great read! Thanks for sharing
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 01:02 PM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
regarding you seeing some stores on 47th closed - sabbath starts friday nights so jewelers on 47th might close early, especially now when it starts at like 4pm i think. that whole block is run by religious jews
I knew they’d be closed on Saturday but did not know about their Sabbath starting on Friday. The block in general seemed less busy than usual.
Old 15 November 2023, 01:17 PM   #12
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Lady in London Jewelers asked you about the watch mainly to demonstrate to play with one AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 02:31 PM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Lady in London Jewelers asked you about the watch mainly to demonstrate to play with one AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do not sell Rolex at this location anymore but yes she was saying relationships matter and that I should hold onto my Rolex connection. I moved to a new state over two years ago and have bought two Rolex since I left from my old AD/SA. The local AD in my new town has been courteous but I haven’t really pressed to get anything from them.
Old 15 November 2023, 03:04 PM   #14
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
God way to visit NYC. You covered some solid territory.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote