The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 7 May 2018, 04:57 AM   #1
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear there is progress. So are we to assume the watch was never shipped? The AWOL situation is secondary. I'd make sure this was resolved sooner than later and get the agreement notarized.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Wow! I was not very optimistic about you getting your money back. I hope he follows through with payment plan.

That being said I would only buy a watch face to face or by using a credit card which gives you some recourse. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Best of luck!
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

To OP, so glad to hear that you are on the path of restitution, but in the future (for our sake and for yours, lol), and I *know* you know this, but please stick with Rolex ADs or the most elite of the trusted sellers here.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:08 AM   #4
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
HELP! $35K nightmare w/ MB23 aka Michael Russo Rolex dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
To OP, so glad to hear that you are on the path of restitution, but in the future (for our sake and for yours, lol), and I *know* you know this, but please stick with Rolex ADs or the most elite of the trusted sellers here.

OP said that he did 5 deals with MB23 over the course of the last few years. He had every reason to trust him just as much if not more than any other “trusted seller”. It’s not like he was being careless.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 11:45 AM   #5
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
Yes, this was not a fly-by-night shady backstreet vendor. He's been selling HIGH end prestige brands for at least 6 years and has(d) a registered office in the watch and jewelry district in NYC. There was no way the buyer could have known the deal would go sour. The fact he hadn't listed a watch since last summer was a bit of a red flag but after several successful transactions he would not have thought to check or be suspicious.
Old 7 May 2018, 03:53 PM   #6
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Impo......your right to privacy is reduced when you abscond with someone's money. Don't be fooled. The seller was fine kicking the can down the road for 5 months. Only when made public did he connect with the OP and attempt to make it right.

Outside of a coma.....there are not many excuses that prevent someone from contacting you in this day and age. For 5 months.....the OP was a prince and totally patient. More than most would have done.

Hopefully it works out. This is a good lesson to be learned.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 06:20 PM   #7
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Looking st the guy’s IG account you’d think he’d be able to hand back the $35k just like that! So, he’s either taking the mickey out of you or he’s a total fraud with his ‘lifestyle’
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:44 PM   #8
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Am I missing something? @ OP: This is not a win in my mind -- you're still out $30,000 and no watch. You can soften the words however you want but you were scammed.

What if you only paid $5,000 out of the $35,000 total cost of the watch? Would the seller think that is fair?

You had to pay everything in a lump sum...why is the money coming back in waves?

I don't see this anywhere near resolved....
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:11 PM   #9
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Am I missing something? @ OP: This is not a win in my mind -- you're still out $30,000 and no watch. You can soften the words however you want but you were scammed.

What if you only paid $5,000 out of the $35,000 total cost of the watch? Would the seller think that is fair?

You had to pay everything in a lump sum...why is the money coming back in waves?

I don't see this anywhere near resolved....
Sorry to say, I have to agree with this. I’m not trying to prolong the knot in your stomach, but just trying to encourage you to be realistic. You have $5,000 and a promise to pay the remainder from a liar. Guys like him pay the creditor who presents the greatest threat to him at the moment. If you want the remainder of your money, you have to be his biggest threat. Whether that’s from a civil action or criminal action is up to you, if you ease off, he will turn his attention to other, more pressing matters.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:43 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Viewed in retrospect, the OP’s decision is perhaps the best path towards full restitution. Taking stronger measures could thwart full payment.

Better to start with the path of least resistance and greater chance of successful repayment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:56 PM   #11
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Yea, 5K out of 35K isn't even a moral victory yet, but better than nothing. If he's willing to pay 5K, he's admitting responsibility, so why not just pay it all at once. I agree that the squeekiest wheel gets the grease. Sounds like something else is going on here. I knew someone once with a drug, and gambling problem, and that is exactly how they behaved. Textbook. Please keep us posted, and thanks to the awesome folks on this site for growing legs on this.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 11:56 PM   #12
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
OP seems like a very nice and genuine person (with a tremendous amount of patience :)) While I'm not offering advice on how this should be handled, I'm glad progress is made towards the resolution of the issue. Make sure you do all needed to get all your money back!
tudorbaja27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 02:36 AM   #13
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
I would go the legal path to set up the payment terms still despite him reaching out after he was exposed
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 12:15 PM   #14
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
I would go the legal path to set up the payment terms still despite him reaching out after he was exposed
This.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 02:53 AM   #15
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

the resolution leaves a lot to be desired. if i was going to take a sizable promissory note, i would meet him in person and have him hand over to me something of relatively equal value as collateral until i was paid in full. he must have something to offer up in the way of collateral. maybe even another watch :)
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 03:48 AM   #16
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
the resolution leaves a lot to be desired. if i was going to take a sizable promissory note, i would meet him in person and have him hand over to me something of relatively equal value as collateral until i was paid in full. he must have something to offer up in the way of collateral. maybe even another watch :)
That's actually a really smart idea... the only issue I can see from this is if you accept a watch it may be considered in his mind as a done deal...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 03:55 AM   #17
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
That's actually a really smart idea... the only issue I can see from this is if you accept a watch it may be considered in his mind as a done deal...
Just write it into the legally binding contract. At this point there is no way I'd be agreeing to an informal arrangement. Not with $30K from a character with this track record.
Old 8 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #18
juniorlawrence
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Do what another poster said take the $5,000 payment/promissory note and watch as collateral.

The collateral watch(s) should be in excess of the $30,000. I would say a 50% discount of said collateral so I would want $60,000 worth of collateral/watches...

I wouldn't even lend $30,000 to a family member without some sort of "promise to pay" and collateral....
juniorlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 11:17 PM   #19
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorlawrence View Post
Do what another poster said take the $5,000 payment/promissory note and watch as collateral.

The collateral watch(s) should be in excess of the $30,000. I would say a 50% discount of said collateral so I would want $60,000 worth of collateral/watches...

I wouldn't even lend $30,000 to a family member without some sort of "promise to pay" and collateral....

Like the PP he just posted. Seller needs to have some motivation to repay the OP quickly.

I find it extremely ridiculous that a guy posting pictures of a $700,000 house and a $250,000 car cannot pay back the $35,000 he took from someone immediately but I guess the bank won’t loan him the money??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 03:56 AM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Strongly advise to retain a lawyer and have them handle this properly. It costs a few grand but piece of mind. Lesson learned.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:04 AM   #21
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
He just got a nice Patek 5712R-001... posted 7 hours ago in IG. Seems to me like he could have paid you ALL of your $35k instead. If he was really a good guy he would offer you that Patek as payment in full plus the interest of stealing your money for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:05 AM   #22
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
He just got a nice Patek 5712R-001... posted 7 hours ago in IG. Seems to me like he could have paid you ALL of your $35k instead. If he was really a good guy he would offer you that Patek as payment in full plus the interest of stealing your money for 6 months.

Wow!

What is his IG handle? I wanna see for myself.
Old 8 May 2018, 04:18 AM   #23
gbx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Wow!

What is his IG handle? I wanna see for myself.

@iam_spotter

gbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:22 AM   #24
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
@iam_spotter

I don't know how to tell if this is indeed the same person, but if so, WOW this guy has no shame!
Old 8 May 2018, 04:25 AM   #25
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I don't know how to tell if this is indeed the same person, but if so, WOW this guy has no shame!

Definitely the same guy.

https://instagram.com/p/Bce7tuBAr8Q/

That is the link to the SkyD in question.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:42 AM   #26
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post

What a surprise....
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:50 AM   #27
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Yikes! This isn't adding up at all. I read your update as he was experiencing hardship?? Looks like he is living the highlife. 35K should be a drop in the bucket and easy to pay back IMO. Good luck OP.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:00 AM   #28
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Looks like your $35k went to that kitchen renovation before he sold his house a month ago.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:05 AM   #29
Syed117
"TRF" Member

After this thread, I think his days as a seller on this forum at the very least are over.

Who on earth would do business with this guy?
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:07 AM   #30
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
After this thread, I think his days as a seller on this forum at the very least are over.

Who on earth would do business with this guy?
Big question is how many others have been conned by this guy?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote