The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2022, 11:12 PM   #1
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m guessing this would be the time to share the outcomes and lessons learned from yesterdays FIA meeting.

RE: 2021 final race…https://www.fia.com/2021-f1-abu-dhab...-19-march-2022

The safety car procedure was a central topic of discussion during the detailed analysis and clarification exercise, stemming from the application of this procedure at the 2021 Abu Dhabi GP, pursuant to Articles 48.12 and 48.13 of the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations.
The Race Director called the safety car back into the pit lane without it having completed an additional lap as required by the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations (Article 48.12).

It was apparent from the analysis that there could be different interpretations of Article 48.12 and Article 48.13 of the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations, and that this likely contributed to the applied procedure.

It was also considered that the decisions regarding the Safety Car at the end of the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix likely took into account previous discussions that made clear the Formula 1 Stakeholders (FIA, Formula 1, Teams and Drivers) preference to end races under green flag racing conditions, rather than behind a safety car, when safe to do so.

In combination with the objective to finish under green flag racing conditions applied throughout the 2021 season, the report finds that the Race Director was acting in good faith and to the best of his knowledge given the difficult circumstances, particularly acknowledging the significant time constraints for decisions to be made and the immense pressure being applied by the teams.

The results of the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the FIA Formula One World Championship are valid, final and cannot now be changed. In accordance with the rules, Mercedes made a protest to the stewards after the race, seeking to change the race classification. The stewards dismissed the protest and Mercedes then had an opportunity to appeal that decision to the FIA International Court of Appeal, but did not do so. There are no other available mechanisms in the rules for amending the race classification.

The process of identifying lapped cars has up until now been a manual one and human error lead to the fact that not all cars were allowed to un-lap themselves. Due to the fact that manual interventions generally carry a higher risk of human error, software has been developed that will, from now on, automate the communication of the list of cars that must un-lap themselves.

In addition, the 2022 Formula 1 Sporting Regulations have been recently updated to clarify that “all” and not “any” cars must be permitted to un-lap themselves.

This process of identifying lapped cars has been reviewed as part of the recommendations previously announced by the FIA President in his statement of 17 February 2022, which also includes the creation of FIA Remote Operations Centre, the integration of a new and extended team to run trackside operations as well as a review of the interactions between teams and Race Control during track running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 01:39 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ahhh, FINALLY some consistent close racing. Cold tyres out of the blankets will be even more interesting at 'cold' tarmac races.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 02:37 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

lolll Verstappen
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:04 AM   #4
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
lolll Verstappen
Yep - the boy will be in a HUGE sulk this evening and will be very very cross indeed.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:09 AM   #5
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Yep - the boy will be in a HUGE sulk this evening and will be very very cross indeed.
The part of Max that I truly respect is his determination. He will come back more even determined from this. He learns from his mistakes. Go Max!
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 06:25 AM   #6
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
What a great race and congrats to F1 for getting the new regs right. It does seem that the cars can follow each other much closer now.

Dust off the church bells in Maranello as the last time they rang for a Ferrari win was in 2019!! So happy for them and much deserved as they sacraficed their 2020 and 2021 car for this moment.

Unfortunate what happened to 3 of the 4 Honda powered cars especially Checo on the last lap but it's a long season and there's bound to be a few DNF's along the way.

How about HAAS/KMag and a double points finish for Alfa!!! Loved seeing them celebrate like it was a championship victory!

Man, it looks like McLaren got these regs wrong as I was hoping to see them and Ferrari push RB and Mercedes for the podium spots. Can they recover?

Speaking of Mercedes and recovering.... They were extremely lucky today with a 3-4 finish as they were 35 seconds behind LEC when Gasley's car caught on fire and bunched up the field. I have no doubt they will figure it out as they always do on the engineering side. Shocking how pedestrian Lewis looks when he doesn't have a car that's 1- 1.5 seconds faster per lap than the field. He got on podium today, but never passed anyone on track that wasn't on fire or had an mechanical problem.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 02:39 AM   #7
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 02:41 AM   #8
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Haha, Max the Fake Champ, how does it feel?

Red Bulls (Necks) - can you win only at the green table?
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 02:43 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That was interesting. Congrats to all teams

WOW!

Congrats to HAAS too!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 March 2022, 02:43 AM   #10
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Lol RB. Ferrari looks great. Mercedes got lucky but sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 02:45 AM   #11
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Let’s go!!!!

Hahaha Red Bull
Old 21 March 2022, 02:48 AM   #12
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Sounds like I’m the only one thinking it. But it’s a shame that the Red Bulls ended up being unreliable turd boxes. They started with a good strong pace. I had hoped Perez would end up in the top three if not a podium based on strategy early on, but he definitely started losing pace the last 10 laps or so.

On the other side of the coin though. I do have to say it’s quite nice seeing Ferrari competitive again
Old 21 March 2022, 02:58 AM   #13
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
That result has cheered me right up !!

Merc engines are clearly slow but can complete a race distance!!

Huge congratulations to Ferrari. They’ve done a very good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 10:18 AM   #14
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Merc engines are clearly slow but can complete a race distance!!

It’s not the engine, it’s the aero. They raise the car up to counteract the porpoising and then lose speed. When they work that out it’s on for sure.
The Tifosi are still out partying in the streets this evening! They’re back and the last 2 years of sacrifice have paid off. The same can be said for Haas as well.
We will see what happens in a few weeks in Australia. They’ll likely all have significant aero changes by then.
No partying at all in the RBR garage though. 3 of 4 cars out with the Red Bill Powertrain engines? Terrible.
McLaren are going to be pulling all nighters for the next few weeks as well.
Biggest winner? F1 for apparently getting the changes right to support closer following and overtaking.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 08:00 PM   #15
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
It’s not the engine, it’s the aero. They raise the car up to counteract the porpoising and then lose speed.
Excluding Red Bull who had reliability issues the 3 bottom teams are all Merc powered so yes (aero issues aside) the other manufacturers have taken a large step forward. First time in the hybrid era Merc engine isn’t the dominant force.

Old 22 March 2022, 03:39 AM   #16
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Excluding Red Bull who had reliability issues the 3 bottom teams are all Merc powered so yes (aero issues aside) the other manufacturers have taken a large step forward. First time in the hybrid era Merc engine isn’t the dominant force.

I believe the decades long partnership with Shell and Ferrari has allowed the Ferrari power units to erase the horsepower deficit they had to MB and Honda PU's and the E-10 fuel could be the reason why.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 07:55 AM   #17
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I believe the decades long partnership with Shell and Ferrari has allowed the Ferrari power units to erase the horsepower deficit they had to MB and Honda PU's and the E-10 fuel could be the reason why.
Hmm..Shell, Ferrari major sponsor, Italian fuel pumps...hmmm.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:44 AM   #18
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Right, so good Ferrari is back where it should be. And their drivers are such a good, co-working and postively-minded couple.
Old 21 March 2022, 03:51 AM   #19
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Right, so good Ferrari is back where it should be. And their drivers are such a good, co-working and postively-minded couple.

Will be interesting to see how Ferrari handle challenging race strategy decisions this year when they are at the sharp end because their calls have been embarrassing last few years.

Let’s hope they’ve made some improvements.

Old 21 March 2022, 04:28 AM   #20
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
he was pretty heated as it was happening, i feel like red bull are the type to get way too cocky from their success last season too, but that might just be my bias speaking lol. will be interesting to see how mercedes work their way back into contention. i wouldn't be surprised if they figured it out within the next few weeks

Quote:
good to see ferrari on top and hopefully the two drivers continue their current relationship but it could get ugly when they actually start competing. will they actually let them race? i can see them wanting to cater to Leclerc
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:02 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup, wife is rooting for Leclerc this year. I'm rooting for ABV (anyone but Verstappen).

Old 21 March 2022, 05:08 AM   #22
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yup, wife is rooting for Leclerc this year. I'm rooting for ABV (anyone but Verstappen).

Your wife has a good taste.

Is ABV an abbrev for some system (like ABS) or else?
Old 21 March 2022, 06:43 AM   #23
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I'm rooting for ABV (anyone but Verstappen).

Glad I’m not the only one !!

Old 21 March 2022, 03:57 AM   #24
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Kevin Magnussen is the winner of the first stage. Brought from his sofa, without any experience with the new construction and he finishes 5th, 10 points. So many overtakings, so composed and pressing.
Old 21 March 2022, 04:16 AM   #25
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kevin Magnussen is the winner of the first stage. Brought from his sofa, without any experience with the new construction and he finishes 5th, 10 points. So many overtakings, so composed and pressing.
And Mick was way off of KMag. If Mick wants to drive for Ferrari or even move up to a decent team, he’ll need to show more than he did this race.
Old 21 March 2022, 04:26 AM   #26
bibbi
"TRF" Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
And Mick was way off of KMag. If Mick wants to drive for Ferrari or even move up to a decent team, he’ll need to show more than he did this race.

Very true. Unfortunately, so far he hasn’t shown even a spark of genius in F1. IMHO.

Zhou is also (like MAG) another positive surprise. Attacking, without mistakes. Interesting driver.
Old 21 March 2022, 06:29 AM   #27
Uggi
Banned

Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 09:44 AM   #28
Goin2drt
Banned

Funny to see all the MBZ hate posts after qually and before the race by all the MV fans. Very funny. Like hilarious.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 09:59 AM   #29
77T

This was a good race in first third, settled into tire strategy in middle third, then the last part with SC seemed to be ready for a sprint for the ages...

...and the RB's had a flaw x2...

Still think

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 12:27 PM   #30
texasmade
"TRF" Member

All those engine guys that Horner bragged about hiring away from Mercedes were actually secret plants to sabotage the RB PU.