The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 April 2024, 03:13 PM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Laurent Ferrier….

Looking into one of these in the future and I thought I’d see if others have tried them and their thoughts? They seem to be all about the their movement and finishing and classic looks. I believe he was a former watch maker for PP. They look very nice, a bit understated, but do carry a pretty hefty price tag for their entry level pieces. Thoughts?
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:36 PM   #2
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
I do not own but have checked them out in person and they are very nice. If I had more money to spend I’d get one but there’s just too many other watches I rather buy around that price.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:52 PM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Incredibly boring at the price point IMO. Like the poster above there are many other watches I’d consider before a Ferrier.

If you do buy one, go used and save some serious $$$.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:43 PM   #4
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Great watches. Superb customer relations. And interesting pieces. I was recently at a collectors dinner at watches and wonders. The classical Ferrier stood out against a whole slew of high level unique pieces. I also have a LF Sport and love it.

That said, it really depends personal preference. For me Laurent Ferrier is the perfect classical watch. And their sports line (both time only and tourbillon) is tops over the sports lines offered by FPJ, ALS Odd (by a country mile), Gronfeld, voutilainen (28), and with exception of the 5990, it’s tops over Patek, and the like. But that’s me.

If you like them you will be rewarded by owning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #5
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Laurent Ferrier makes great watches. Lovely cases that fit a variety of wrist sizes. Finely balanced dials that remove all of the clutter and unnecessary writing. Finishing rivaling the best in the business and is certainly a notch or two above Patek or VC for similar money. I own their entry level classic origin and enjoy it tremendously. You will be hard pressed to find a better finished product at the price.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:31 PM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Incredibly boring at the price point IMO. Like the poster above there are many other watches I’d consider before a Ferrier.

If you do buy one, go used and save some serious $$$.
This plus movements are outsourced of which I am not a fan of at this price point. (fabrique du temps)
Old 22 April 2024, 09:52 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not for me. I am no fan of the design language with its mostly empty dials with thin markers and hands and I also prefer smaller dress / strap watches.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 10:45 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very cool watches but too expensive for what they are, for me. I also don't buy obscure brands that will be difficult to service and maintain over time. So I will like them from afar.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:36 PM   #9
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
This plus movements are outsourced of which I am not a fan of at this price point. (fabrique du temps)
At this price point,for a small independent, I think that is pretty standard to not make their on movement.

Gronefeld do not make theirs. AP and VC call on other movement makers occasionally. PP has a long history of using movements from other makers.

The movements were designed by LF and produced exclusively for LF. If everything was made in house I think they would be in the 75 to 125,000 price range, for a time only watch. Based on other watches in the market.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:52 PM   #10
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I was able to view some LF watches recently. And OMG, you are not going to be able to find a better finish watch for Less money. Do not stare directly into the anglage or it may cause blindness.
Old 23 April 2024, 12:12 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Very cool watches but too expensive for what they are, for me. I also don't buy obscure brands that will be difficult to service and maintain over time. So I will like them from afar.
This. I took a run at one. VERY hard to get out of if needed. That’s the never the intention but it happens. I’m fickle.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #12
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
At this price point,for a small independent, I think that is pretty standard to not make their on movement.

Gronefeld do not make theirs. AP and VC call on other movement makers occasionally. PP has a long history of using movements from other makers.

The movements were designed by LF and produced exclusively for LF. If everything was made in house I think they would be in the 75 to 125,000 price range, for a time only watch. Based on other watches in the market.
True. I get the in-house argument as a marketing ploy. Seems to be a recurring topic on this forum. But nobody cared 10 years ago until companies like Rolex started going "in-house" and marketing their own movements as somehow better. Certainly ETA movements are commoditized, for example, so its a fair enough argument there. But ultimately if the movements are designed well, run well, and have an interesting architecture, why do I care if it's built fully in-house or just designed and finished in-house?

Folks making the argument that a watch brand's "in-house" manufactured movements are superior to fabrique du temps movements simply because the brand is manufacturing movements "in-house" is a bit naive.

Isn't the real art in designing the movement architecture and then the finishing you put on it? Any equipped machine can cut some pieces of metal (just like most folks can swing a hammer). So why do you care where that machine is physically located?
Old 23 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #13
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

If they had taking an "off the shelf movement", like Laine and then had finished it, I would feel different. Or supposedly an in house movement that is shared with other brands, which I believe Brietling, Baume & Mercier and Panerai did.
But they are really using their own exclusive movement.
Old 23 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #14
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:

I would prefer if everything by a brand was done in-house but that’s not realistic for most of them. It’s also cost prohibitive for both many consumers and the brands themselves. I think the Principia is fairly priced for what you get. Yea it’s not made in-house but the finishing is just amazing and I think it’s worth every penny. Some may disagree but I didn’t struggle with buying one just because it was made elsewhere. Laurent Ferrier is similar I but I just prefer Gronefeld overall and other brands in the same price range.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:55 AM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
True. I get the in-house argument as a marketing ploy. Seems to be a recurring topic on this forum. But nobody cared 10 years ago until companies like Rolex started going "in-house" and marketing their own movements as somehow better. Certainly ETA movements are commoditized, for example, so its a fair enough argument there. But ultimately if the movements are designed well, run well, and have an interesting architecture, why do I care if it's built fully in-house or just designed and finished in-house?

Folks making the argument that a watch brand's "in-house" manufactured movements are superior to fabrique du temps movements simply because the brand is manufacturing movements "in-house" is a bit naive.

Isn't the real art in designing the movement architecture and then the finishing you put on it? Any equipped machine can cut some pieces of metal (just like most folks can swing a hammer). So why do you care where that machine is physically located?

I don't care about in-house movements...except if something unique is gained from it.

For example, the Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force and Mirrored Force Resonance are both super unique because of their in-house movements.

Or with Gauthier's Logical 1...obviously the insane roller chain with rubies is 100% unique.

Even voutilainen's new inverse movement.

Or since we mentioned gronefeld above...the movement on the remmontoire is ridiculously cool...
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 04:40 AM   #16
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I have the Sport Auto - the best option if you want an amazingly-designed sports watch with a great movement and isn't none of the naff instagram-influencer overtones of it's competitors.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 05:13 AM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I don't care about in-house movements...except if something unique is gained from it.

For example, the Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force and Mirrored Force Resonance are both super unique because of their in-house movements.

Or with Gauthier's Logical 1...obviously the insane roller chain with rubies is 100% unique.

Even voutilainen's new inverse movement.

Or since we mentioned gronefeld above...the movement on the remmontoire is ridiculously cool...

I agree with you there. Unique movements are cool and the watches you mentioned are stellar. Laurent Ferrier plays in a different sand lot. That said, if a brand (Laurent Ferrier or another) deigned a unique / progressive movement and outsourced its actual manufacturing, to me, that’s not a demerit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 April 2024, 09:00 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The watches themselves are nice but nothing striking or innovating. I prefer journe. YMMV.
Old 23 April 2024, 09:16 AM   #19
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Love my Classic Micro Rotor. Put an order in for Sport Auto this month

If you like high-level movement finishing and you like the classical aesthetics then go for it. They also do customizations on certain models as well.

There is lots to love with the brand, the pieces and the brand have a great story to tell. They are relatively accessible as well, usually about a 1 year lead time. They only make a few hundred pieces per year.

Yes they are more expensive then perhaps something from the big 3, but they are produced in lower numbers and finished to a higher degree.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 09:29 AM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Owned one.

Slightly too large for dress watch.

Lots of good opinions above.

Short answer, I would pass.
Old 23 April 2024, 12:59 PM   #21
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Sports Auto is actually a much better watch than the Nautilus, Royal Oak and Overseas. As others have said above - it's not worm by rock stars, film gurus or influencers. For me that is a good thing. I have many independant brand watches, LF is up there with FPJ, Moser, Strom etc. Depends what floats your boat.......!!
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 10:23 PM   #22
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Just watched an interview with Laurent Ferrier, addressing making movements.
Stated that if they had the machinery to produce the plates, that it would run for 3, maybe 4 weeks a year, and then sit idle the rest of the time based on their current production numbers. (500)
Old 25 April 2024, 07:25 AM   #23
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just watched an interview with Laurent Ferrier, addressing making movements.
Stated that if they had the machinery to produce the plates, that it would run for 3, maybe 4 weeks a year, and then sit idle the rest of the time based on their current production numbers. (500)
Yeah the machines that make the rough parts are all the same anyways, feeds in bar stock punches out the tiny parts. Doesn't bother me if those machines are located in another part of Switzerland, the assembly, design and finishing is what counts!
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
Old 25 April 2024, 07:28 AM   #24
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
Sports Auto is actually a much better watch than the Nautilus, Royal Oak and Overseas. As others have said above - it's not worm by rock stars, film gurus or influencers. For me that is a good thing. I have many independant brand watches, LF is up there with FPJ, Moser, Strom etc. Depends what floats your boat.......!!
The Sport Auto has simply the most comfortable bracelet out there. It has so much articulation it's crazy.

The also big benefit is the accessibility, you don't need to play games or pay premiums to get one either
Old 25 April 2024, 07:29 AM   #25
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
Looking into one of these in the future and I thought I’d see if others have tried them and their thoughts? They seem to be all about the their movement and finishing and classic looks. I believe he was a former watch maker for PP. They look very nice, a bit understated, but do carry a pretty hefty price tag for their entry level pieces. Thoughts?
Why did you make two exact same threads on the same day?
Old 25 April 2024, 08:19 PM   #26
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

The Sport Auto dials are made by FP Journe I believe.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote