The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2008, 02:03 AM   #1
Tempo

Alignment of Minute & Second Hand - Finally Got it!!

I've finally figured out how to perfectly align the minute and second hands of my new M Series Sea Dweller.

I started a thread last week asking how I could prevent my minute hand from alternately lagging and overshooting the second hand. I spent a few weeks experimenting with different ways of adjusting the hands for alignment.

After every experiment failed, I finally called RSC today to arrange to send in my Sea Dweller for diagnosis. Tonight, I spent some time thinking of the results of the various experiments and thought I would try one last method. This is adapted from Bo's method of hand adjustment described in his FAQ. Thanks, Bo, for providing the fundamental clues to solving this problem!

It took a couple of tries, but incredibly, the minute hand now points precisely at the marker each time the second hand hits zero! The minute hand has gone more two round around the dial now, perfectly synchronised with the second hand.

I was almost ready to trash the Sea Dweller as the lack of synchronisation was really driving me crazy. Each time I looked at the SD's dial, I felt frustrated noticing how the minute hand could never get it right.

Now I feel so terribly pleased. It is like I've just received the SD for the very first time.

This is the method (notice it owes everything to Bo's procedure.)

1. When the second hand hits zero, pull out the crown to freeze it at that point.

2. Turn the minute hand clockwise 5 seconds ahead of the minute marker at which time will be set.

3. Notice the minute hand moves freely for about 2 mm when you adjust it, before it encounters resistance to the left and right. This free-play what Bo defines as the margin of "play" of the minute hand.

3. Slowly nudge the minute hand anti-clockwise until it points directly to the specific minute marker. The crucial trick here is to ensure there is absolutely no free play when you try to nudge the minute hand further clockwise. You should feel definite resistance. When there is the slightest free-play in the anti-clockwise direction, it will result in lagging and overshoot in the minute hand. All the free-play should be in the clock wise direction.

4. Push in the crown to synchronize the watch with your preferred time reference.

Those who have tried every alignment method in vain, I hope this method will work for you. I'll be monitoring the SD for a few days to ensure the alignment remains consistent.

It is just so essential and gratifying when the minute hand arrives at the appointed marker each time precisely when the second hand hits zero. It would not be a superlative chronometer otherwise!
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
I've finally figured out how to perfectly align the minute and second hands of my new M Series Sea Dweller.

I started a thread last week asking how I could prevent my minute hand from alternately lagging and overshooting the second hand. I spent a few weeks experimenting with different ways of adjusting the hands for alignment.

After every experiment failed, I finally called RSC today to arrange to send in my Sea Dweller for diagnosis. Tonight, I spent some time thinking of the results of the various experiments and thought I would try one last method. This is adapted from Bo's method of hand adjustment described in his FAQ. Thanks, Bo, for providing the fundamental clues to solving this problem!

It took a couple of tries, but incredibly, the minute hand now points precisely at the marker each time the second hand hits zero! The minute hand has gone more two round around the dial now, perfectly synchronised with the second hand.

I was almost ready to trash the Sea Dweller as the lack of synchronisation was really driving me crazy. Each time I looked at the SD's dial, I felt frustrated noticing how the minute hand could never get it right.

Now I feel so terribly pleased. It is like I've just received the SD for the very first time.

This is the method (notice it owes everything to Bo's procedure.)

1. When the second hand hits zero, pull out the crown to freeze it at that point.

2. Turn the minute hand clockwise 5 seconds ahead of the minute marker at which time will be set.

3. Notice the minute hand moves freely for about 2 mm when you adjust it, before it encounters resistance to the left and right. This free-play what Bo defines as the margin of "play" of the minute hand.

3. Slowly nudge the minute hand anti-clockwise until it points directly to the specific minute marker. The crucial trick here is to ensure there is absolutely no free play when you try to nudge the minute hand further clockwise. You should feel definite resistance. When there is the slightest free-play in the anti-clockwise direction, it will result in lagging and overshoot in the minute hand. All the free-play should be in the clock wise direction.

4. Push in the crown to synchronize the watch with your preferred time reference.

Those who have tried every alignment method in vain, I hope this method will work for you. I'll be monitoring the SD for a few days to ensure the alignment remains consistent.

It is just so essential and gratifying when the minute hand arrives at the appointed marker each time precisely when the second hand hits zero. It would not be a superlative chronometer otherwise!

That method has worked for me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Tempo

What seems important is also to ensure the minute hand is not subject to "spring back" action when getting rid of the free-play when turning in an anti-clockwise direction. Sometimes, when turning the minute hand in a particular direction, the hand will spring in the opposite direction when released.

Also crucial is that, when pressing in the crown after the adjustment, firmly gird the crown in the anti-clockwise direction to avoid the minute hand from slipping clockwise as the crown is pushed in, thus creating some free-play anti-clockwise.
Old 8 July 2008, 03:51 PM   #4
ezod
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Thanks for the tutorial! I've wondered how to alleviate this VERY annoying issue. Thanks for the share.
ezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=32431

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2008, 05:35 PM   #6
n9zez
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II C
Thank you very much!
116509 Daytona WG Meteorite (GRAIL)
n9zez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Tempo

I've observed the hand alignment for the past weeks since applying this method.

The minute hand still tends to stray a bit, sometimes lagging behind the marker, sometimes overshooting, when the second hand hits zero. So it is not perfect.

I've tried a few other variations, but this method seems to reduce the degree of straying the most.

Perhaps my minute hand gear is uneven? Or is it the dial? Wonder if the RSC can improve alignment by replacing my minute hand gear or dial. My SD is still under warranty.
Old 28 July 2008, 05:01 PM   #8
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Good info. Thanks for the advice.
Old 5 August 2008, 05:31 AM   #9
leonidas
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II X 2 (SS)
thanx for this answer to the post i made yesterday, drove me nuts as my old sub and DJ never had this problem, xilies euxapistw!
leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote