The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2024, 08:18 AM   #1
Xelor5513
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what I wear
Former SA spills the beans...

Former SA at Hawaii Rolex AD spills a lot of beans... A second former SA confirming this guys claims who be hugely helpful...but getting the skinny on Rolex/AD shady dealings is long overdue.

https://youtu.be/YbQTCrW2L_4?si=xmiILT9YTGOl1mjH
https://youtu.be/Ibne_gtgX7E?si=MOXPRK2anyL7KHci

I have not seen this posted on TRF yet...if it has, forgive me the redundancy.
Xelor5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 08:53 AM   #2
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Thanks for the links. I live in Honolulu but it seems like the Youtuber is from Maui. I've visited the Maui store before and it was pretty small from what I remember so keep that in mind when listening to his video.
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 08:59 AM   #3
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Nothing in the video we didn’t already know or suspect, but thanks for the link.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:19 AM   #4
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Interesting. Thanks.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:19 AM   #5
Xelor5513
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Nothing in the video we didn’t already know or suspect, but thanks for the link.

Kat

Kat, what stood out to me is the claim: "there's a vault full of beautiful watches."
Many of us on the "wait list" play the game of checking in and making nice small talk, and giving our SA the benefit-of-the-doubt, while the reference we seek may actually be in "the vault" just waiting for the right situation or additional non Rolex purchases.
Xelor5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:39 AM   #6
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelor5513 View Post
Kat, what stood out to me is the claim: "there's a vault full of beautiful watches."
Many of us on the "wait list" play the game of checking in and making nice small talk, and giving our SA the benefit-of-the-doubt, while the reference we seek may actually be in "the vault" just waiting for the right situation or additional non Rolex purchases.
Yep, why do you think a lot of people get calls right before their birthdays or other significant events that their AD is aware of? This is nuts.
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:44 AM   #7
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I thought this was very informative. Without knowing what I was doing, I now realize I did exactly as he suggests when an AD called me and told me he had a HULK for me (although he didn't use that word). Thank you for posting.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:46 AM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
So based on this, I’m considered one of the “best of the best” customers and have no red flags. lol

I suppose that might be true. I bought multiple watches and don’t flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:23 AM   #9
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
So based on this, I’m considered one of the “best of the best” customers and have no red flags. lol

I suppose that might be true. I bought multiple watches and don’t flip.

Me, too, all except for my eBay watch store, which I told my SA all about. I don’t sell Rolexes, though.

Kat

Old 10 May 2024, 10:31 AM   #10
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
This part is true. Many (but not all) of the commonly asked for but hard to get to references are in the safe, but they use them as a bargaining chip to get you to buy more. The watch is just the bait. Interestingly, they keep even discontinued references that may be years old.

It’s a sad situation.
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:56 AM   #11
KatGirl

Some things he said did not ring true. The commission percentage was awfully low. Also, the exhibition pieces going back to Rolex, when we know they sell them as new after a few months. Then he said they are sometimes being sold as CPO watches, when the CPO pieces have to be at least 3 years old. This guy could be making all this up. Look how many views. He could be raking in the dough from YouTube, and be a scam artist. The other thing I found odd was that they have to check with a district manager, before selling a watch. That doesn’t sound right. The ADs own their inventory. He didn’t really say anything we did not already know or suspect. Those of us here are certainly not the typical buyers he described, either. Just my own take on these videos, though. I could certainly be mistaken. Leafing through the magazines was a nice touch. We all have them, too.

Kat

Old 10 May 2024, 11:12 AM   #12
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is news to you?

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 11:41 AM   #13
Easy E

Quote:
An AD in Atlanta just recently lost their Rolex line. The following week they had 24 “pre-owned, never worn” watches listed on their web site. Go figure.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 12:05 PM   #14
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
An AD in Atlanta just recently lost their Rolex line. The following week they had 24 “pre-owned, never worn” watches listed on their web site. Go figure.
That could be them cashing out but I know that Rolex will request pieces back after they close the doors on an AD.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 12:14 PM   #15
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post

They could very well have been their exhibition pieces. Remember, when they receive their orders from Rolex, each week, they have already paid for them. The number of exhibition pieces at my AD is 24. Since that Atlanta AD lost its status, they would have to activate the warranties, thus becoming the first owner, and can mark them up to sell as preowned, but never worn.

Kat

Old 10 May 2024, 12:18 PM   #16
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
If he is from Maui, it’s likely that he was asst manager of the Lahaina Bucherer store which had jewelry and pre owned Rolexes.

His particular experience is just of his at that one store. Different partnerships are managed differently.

Really appreciate his insight though.

Everybody hear that? People are ecstatic buying ladies datejusts, 41mm datejusts, and day dates. It’s mostly non-1%ers buying Rolexes to feel more accomplished. And that’s okay. Bc even though you’re not 1% in the US, you may be in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nworbled View Post
Thanks for the links. I live in Honolulu but it seems like the Youtuber is from Maui. I've visited the Maui store before and it was pretty small from what I remember so keep that in mind when listening to his video.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 12:23 PM   #17
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Some things he said did not ring true. The commission percentage was awfully low. Also, the exhibition pieces going back to Rolex, when we know they sell them as new after a few months. Then he said they are sometimes being sold as CPO watches, when the CPO pieces have to be at least 3 years old. This guy could be making all this up. Look how many views. He could be raking in the dough from YouTube, and be a scam artist. The other thing I found odd was that they have to check with a district manager, before selling a watch. That doesn’t sound right. The ADs own their inventory. He didn’t really say anything we did not already know or suspect. Those of us here are certainly not the typical buyers he described, either. Just my own take on these videos, though. I could certainly be mistaken. Leafing through the magazines was a nice touch. We all have them, too.

Kat

Yeah, there is no way to authenticate his claims. Anyone could post a video and regurgitate all the anecdotes and lore you read on the Internet forums. I mean he might be legit, but then again, he might not be.

Old 10 May 2024, 12:30 PM   #18
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
We all must know by now even the best ADs have the hard to get pieces in the back, available for top client, big spenders, etc. I would too, it is smart business! And they should avoid flippers, I would.
Old 10 May 2024, 12:59 PM   #19
Easy E

Quote:
They could very well have been their exhibition pieces. Remember, when they receive their orders from Rolex, each week, they have already paid for them. The number of exhibition pieces at my AD is 24. Since that Atlanta AD lost its status, they would have to activate the warranties, thus becoming the first owner, and can mark them up to sell as preowned, but never worn.
While what you say is, in fact, quite possible. I think that’s a bit generous.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 01:27 PM   #20
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Thanks for the post OP. I have no reason to doubt the SA but as always, keep a healthy dose of skepticism. I'm not in the market for another watch but find this thread very interesting.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 03:05 PM   #21
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:

Kat

For stores that also sell jewelry or other brands they may keep Rolex commissions low because they sell themselves. The management can use Rolex allocations as rewards for top salespeople to be able to allocate high demand pieces to their highest spending clients of jewelry or other high margin watch brands.

Operating this way ensures the top salespeople continue to push jewelry and other brands out the door so they can keep getting allocations for their loyal clients. If I’ve sold someone $100k worth of jewelry at say a 60% markup and getting 25% of that as commission, they’ve already put $15,000 personally in my pocket, so I’ll gladly sell them a Rolex for a tiny commission to keep them coming back for everything they need.

Look at the hot water Hermes is in over their Birkin bag line. It’s all because they were blatant enough to tell you to your face if you don’t spend X amount in the store you won’t be “worthy” of one. Worthy was in fact the exact word used by an SA at an Hermes store in Vegas last year when I visited and inquired about the process of being allocated a bag for my wife.

Rolex AD’s are smarter than that, so they use the imaginary wait list, but the truth is it’s the same “pay to play” scenario where the biggest spenders get allocated the hardest to get pieces.

As for the thing about checking with the regional manager, if he works for a big chain AD like Bucherer he could have meant the regional manager within his AD network, not an actual Rolex employee. I’m sure the only thing they have to communicate with Rolex directly for is the acquisition/allocation of an off catalogue piece for a serious collector.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 03:57 PM   #22
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

What does it even matter anymore tbh?

The distribution of new Rolex from AD has been like this for years now. It’s simply too late in the game for many to jump in.

There are still plenty of people, who have plenty of disposable money, who want Rolex (and other watches / jewelry) and spend lots of that money organically on those items. They have been spending for years and shall continue to do so.

The AD will favor and cater to those individuals. Sure there are reports of some first time buyers of “hawt” watches here and there, but those are anomalies in the scheme of things. The AD only gets so many watches and they need to make sure their big clients get whatever they desire and not waste inventory on transactions that have no gravitas.

Rolex won’t produce to meet demand. It’s not in their best interests to. That would be a mistake. In fact, they are pulling back distribution in the face of their success, which is the right strategy.

So, barring complete and unprecedented economic collapse, this is the way.

There are countless watch brands that have immediate and unrestricted access to their products. You can buy them at boutiques, at authorized dealers or online. Available right now….as many as one could reasonably want. But, still they struggle……
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:07 PM   #23
Banned

This YouTube video has gotten massive promotion here, now with two threads
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 07:24 PM   #24
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
That could be them cashing out but I know that Rolex will request pieces back after they close the doors on an AD.
These were watches that had been sitting in the safe for months. They were hoarding them over time and had long been paid for by the AD. They weren’t recent allocations. AD’s have watches it’s up to them who gets them.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:23 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
We all must know by now even the best ADs have the hard to get pieces in the back, available for top client, big spenders, etc.
I've heard it. I don't know it because I have not seen it. I believe it but belief is not proof.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:44 PM   #26
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
These were watches that had been sitting in the safe for months. They were hoarding them over time and had long been paid for by the AD. They weren’t recent allocations. AD’s have watches it’s up to them who gets them.

Ron - are you basing this claim on speculation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:45 PM   #27
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No new information here. The game is the game and the AD's hold all the cards when it comes to selling new Rolex watches at msrp. I consistently hear the word "fair" when it comes to getting watches from an AD. I will say the same thing I use to tell my kids, "Fair is where they sell cotton candy and you ride rides." Nothing fair or straight about the watch business except the ultimate motive of AD's, money.

Last edited by 1William; 10 May 2024 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 11:26 PM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post

Storing watches in a vault for their “best of the best customers” is believable.

But if you’re trying to tell me they’re just hoarding watches for months and months, and not selling them to anyone, then that becomes less believable to me.

Old 11 May 2024, 12:34 AM   #29
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the unspoken truth
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:02 AM   #30
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

A number of years ago (about 10) a friend worked for a while at a Rolex AD. Browsing the inventory system he found the 'owner's stash' -- inventory of MANY Daytonas available only to the owner to allocate to customers of his choosing.

Of course this happens/still happens.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote