The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2024, 10:23 PM   #1
Rog007
"TRF" Member

Verifying Authenticity

I’m a new member. Trying to buy my first Rolex and not faring so well with local AD’s. I’m learning …. I’m on a “wait list”, probably never getting that call. I’m looking to buy on Chrono 24. How can I verify the watch serial number once I buy it. I have 14 days , is there a reliable data base to match serial numbers with date of production? Seller has good reviews but says white tag has been removed.
Rog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 11:26 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog007 View Post
I’m a new member. Trying to buy my first Rolex and not faring so well with local AD’s. I’m learning …. I’m on a “wait list”, probably never getting that call. I’m looking to buy on Chrono 24. How can I verify the watch serial number once I buy it. I have 14 days , is there a reliable data base to match serial numbers with date of production? Seller has good reviews but says white tag has been removed.
There is no data base now,so always buy the seller,white tag is not all that important it's just a bit of plastic and some ADs don't always give the white tag when purchasing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 11:46 PM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Any reputable experienced seller can verify if a Rolex watch they are selling is authentic. What they cannot do, all the time, is know the exact ownership history and whether the watch has been stolen at some point. This becomes more of an issue with older watches which do not have box and papers. Most newer watches come from the original owners, so you are fairly safe there if you try to find only those watches. Most dealers will tell you if they bought from the original owner.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 11:52 PM   #4
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
I perceive you may be asking 2 questions. First, can the serial number tell me if the watch is real? Second, can the serial number tell me the year of production?

In the first case, the serial number generally cannot provide authenticity. There is a whole replica watch world that uses real stolen serial numbers on their replicas, so no guarantees from that standpoint.

To address the second question, yes, the serial number can provide the year of manufacture up to about year 2010, when Rolex moved to an 8 digit random alphanumeric system, instead of the 7 digit sequential numeric or alphanumeric system. Prior to that, there are charts available to give year of manufacture. After 2010, only the papers or the good word of the seller can provide this information. This is one of the many reasons people want the full Monty when buying a pre-owned Rolex, and why we all say "buy the seller."

Here is a good link to year-of-manufacture serial numbers:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

Good luck on your purchase, feel free to ask any further questions you may have.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 12:01 AM   #5
Pboned
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Depending on which model you're trying to get, you might be able to find it from one of the trusted sellers on this forum.
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 12:04 AM   #6
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pboned View Post
Depending on which model you're trying to get, you might be able to find it from one of the trusted sellers on this forum.
right. skip chrono 24 and type the reference number you're looking for into watchrecon.

I personally look for any of these sellers:
davidsw
justrolexes aka sdwatches
OCRolexGuy
BriBoxer
Takuya
SOHAIS
Old 13 May 2024, 12:26 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Yup! Just buy it from one of the boutique trusted sellers here. No worries. If you don’t see the watch you want , call them. Likely, they can source it for you, and if they do have the one you want, they will overnight it to you, after you wire them payment. Good luck!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 10:15 AM   #8
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which reference watch/model are you trying to buy at your local AD?
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 07:54 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You need to buy the seller before you consider buying a watch. A good seller will professionally address any after sales issues. For a US purchase this forum is an excellent reference source for trusted sellers.

I use C24 as a UK shop window and then contact sellers directly. The UK is a small place and the good sellers with proper facilities are well known.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 08:01 PM   #10
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
How can I tell if the watch is stolen? If I were to send it to RSC to do a “health check” on the movement, would the be able to sniff it out if that serial has ever been reported stolen?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 09:55 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nothing wrong with Chrono24 but the prices are inflated to offset the fees the sellers must pay. Many times I have looked the seller up and contacted them directly outside of the site. This works for businesses that have a store and a reputation. Most times though I just find the watch through our network of Trusted Sellers here on TRF. Most have websites and if I can not find the watch I want on the sites I call and ask if it can be sourced. As said above, "Always buy the Seller". Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 10:37 PM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
How can I tell if the watch is stolen? If I were to send it to RSC to do a “health check” on the movement, would the be able to sniff it out if that serial has ever been reported stolen?

No, if a theft victim never submits their police report to Rolex, then the unwitting buyer would get a "clean" reply from the RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote