The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 April 2024, 02:50 PM   #1
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Rubber strap friction/noise

Hey all,
Just got a submersible 1229c which I completely love. This is my 3rd Panerai and I have always been in love with the rubber strap options. For the first time, I am noticing that the rubber material on this purchase is not as smooth as the other straps I’ve had previously with the 312 and 1313. There is certainly more noticeable friction when the strap is going thru the rubber loops, which is more of an observation than actual problem. Just sorta annoying, since my old ones had complete silky smooth pass thru.

However what is super annoying is the squeaking noise the rubber strap is making against the lugs/case, due to the friction and stickiness of the rubber material. I can’t say for sure, but feel if it was the softer/smoother rubber, it may not be making as much noise. Anyone else have the same issue??

Is there any method anyone knows of to help lessen the rubbing of leather and steel, thus eliminating the noise? Would be super appreciative!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:12 PM   #2
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Just curious if this is a black rubber strap or another color? I ask because it seems when the rubber has colorations it can change the feel a bit. I have an olive green that I think does what you are describing.
waterman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:59 AM   #3
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah it’s the standard black rubber strap for the submersible. I know it’s really nit-picky, but super curious if others are experiencing the same problem. And if so, any solutions?

I’m thinking of maybe wiping a thin layer of baby oil with a q tip to smooth out any friction between the strap and inside surface of the lugs.

Old 1 May 2024, 05:58 AM   #4
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

Maybe avoid oil in this place as it could attract dust, and make some abrasion to the case of your watch.
chrissimons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 12:23 PM   #5
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Good point! Hmmm maybe something to thin down (ever so slightly) the width of the strap where the pin goes in.

Old 1 May 2024, 05:05 PM   #6
Bubblebobble2
"TRF" Member

surely black rubber isn’t your favourite strap in the collection…try different one.
Bubblebobble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 06:01 PM   #7
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe just needs breaking in through wear. My straps take on slightly different texture after a little while.
waterman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 09:13 PM   #8
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Well problem solved…. I rubbed the inside of the strap on some paper (much like and eraser) and it made the texture very smooth. Noise gone! Thanks for all the advice! :)