The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 December 2023, 10:44 AM   #1
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

Question on POSSIBLE watch drop on floor at AD

Hey all

I went with my friend earlier this week to pick up his new Stainless Steel Sub from his AD. It was so cool to see him get the “experience”. Anyway, when we were waiting for this SA to come back with his watch after sizing it, we got a little suspicious of possible mishandling while the watch was on the carrying tray. It sounded like it fell on the floor when we weren’t looking, but we obviously didn’t see it happen, so we don’t have proof.

The SA came back with the watch, still intact with the protective stickers, properly sized. Not one mention of a mishap. SA removed all stickers and it looked fine. We got back to my friend’s house, used a loupe, and I meticulously looked over all edges and everything looked perfect.

So the question is, even with the factory protective stickers on the watch head, if the watch was dropped on hard floor (tile for example) would it still show SOME sign of damage? Every picture I’ve seen of a dropped watch seems to always show the edge get damaged, and the protective stickers don’t really seem to provide full coverage on the edges.

He’s feeling a little uneasy about it even though there’s nothing to suggest it was dropped. No case damage and movement running solid within spec. Could there be “internal” case damage even if the exterior looks untouched? Curious what you all would do? Move on?

I’ll plan to share these responses with him, hopefully they put his mind at ease. Thanks
Old 1 December 2023, 10:49 AM   #2
LFD718S
"TRF" Member

Looks perfect under a loupe. If running well, tell your friend to pour himself a drink and enjoy his new watch. Especially since you're not even sure anything happened.
Old 1 December 2023, 10:53 AM   #3
Pboned
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I would have just asked the SA when they returned.
Old 1 December 2023, 11:01 AM   #4
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

So you looked over everything with a loupe, the watch is running great, and you didn’t see any sort of accident, but there is still concern? Did you address your concerns with the AD? If not, why?
Old 1 December 2023, 11:01 AM   #5
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Move on, both of you.
Old 1 December 2023, 11:06 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Could have been a tool... could have been anything. Stop freaking out over things for zero reason.

The freakin' thing could have taken a header at the factory too.... or Fedex kick dropped it for fun.

Chill.
Old 1 December 2023, 11:08 AM   #7
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pboned View Post
I would have just asked the SA when they returned.
I told him he should ask but he didn’t want to… thought it might offend the SA by insinuating that they were trying to cover it up. Not my place to say anything since it wasn’t my deal.
Old 1 December 2023, 11:11 AM   #8
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
Could have been a tool... could have been anything. Stop freaking out over things for zero reason.

The freakin' thing could have taken a header at the factory too.... or Fedex kick dropped it for fun.

Chill.
That’s my mentality too. You never know what happens behind the scenes. But when you’re there, and you sort of “loosely” witness it, it has a little more impact. Me personally, I’d just rather not know at all rather than have remote possibility in my mind
Old 1 December 2023, 11:14 AM   #9
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

So you heard something drop in another room and suspected it's your watch? Thank God you didn't ask the SA if he had just dropped your watch. If he's anything like me, he would have shown you the door without the watch.
Old 1 December 2023, 11:15 AM   #10
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
The trays seem like a poorly designed watch transportation system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 December 2023, 11:56 AM   #11
Wario406
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Question on POSSIBLE watch drop on floor at AD

Stand up and ask the question, or move on.

No scratches or dings and a warranty- I think your set.

Just don’t wear it outdoors, especially in the rain.
Old 1 December 2023, 12:03 PM   #12
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
When a watch drops, you know. There are signs.
Old 1 December 2023, 12:20 PM   #13
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Move on…

Old 1 December 2023, 12:27 PM   #14
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
The trays seem like a poorly designed watch transportation system.

We're accustomed to many other suboptimal solutions...

Old 1 December 2023, 12:29 PM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
When a watch drops, you know. There are signs.
X2

If the watch hit the floor you would see obvious signs. Best not to sabotage the moment beyond checking the watch over.
Old 1 December 2023, 12:43 PM   #16
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would be more concerned on the movement inside if it hit a tile floor. Let alone minor cosmetics.
Old 1 December 2023, 12:44 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Maybe just check the hands are perfectly aligned, then move on.
Old 1 December 2023, 12:45 PM   #18
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Move on, both of you.
Quote:

Chill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
Move on…

It’s covered by 5 year warranty. You don’t even see any signs of a drop.

Sorry this thread is stupid
Old 1 December 2023, 12:51 PM   #19
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
X2

If the watch hit the floor you would see obvious signs. Best not to sabotage the moment beyond checking the watch over.
The thing is, the protective stickers were on. Not sure how obvious the signs would be then if it did fall
Old 1 December 2023, 01:31 PM   #20
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

The Rolex protective stickers won’t protect the watch from a drop. If you don’t see a ding or scratch, the watch didn’t hit the floor.
Old 1 December 2023, 02:38 PM   #21
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Common sense dictates the consequences of trying to cover up a dropped watch are much more grim than just fessing up and replacing the watch. Most sales associates have been in the luxury goods industry for years to make foolish decisions like that…
Old 1 December 2023, 03:25 PM   #22
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Dropping a watch on a hard tile floor would show obvious damage even with stickers. I wouldn’t worry and enjoy the watch. You guys sound like characters.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 1 December 2023, 03:38 PM   #23
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
So you heard something drop in another room and suspected it's your watch? Thank God you didn't ask the SA if he had just dropped your watch. If he's anything like me, he would have shown you the door without the watch.
People with a sound, secure and non-petty character, who understand they are selling someone a brand new watch that costs thousands and thus may trigger unusual yet also understandable levels of concern or in people over such things as damage to it, would just smile and alleviate any fears by saying: "no don't worry Sir, that was actually the sound of whateveritwas".

Showing someone the door over such a thing would definitely be a sign of a very, very poor and undignified character.
Old 1 December 2023, 04:18 PM   #24
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
X2

Not necessarily!! I met for a coffee with a fellow watch enthusiast, as he was traveling thru my city with his friend, so he asked me to bring some watches for him to check it out.

As we were drinking coffee, talking watches, his friend (who's not into watches and was with him on the trip) was also checking out watches, and of all the watches I had there he accidentally dropped my vintage and mint King Seiko 45 on a tile floor! probably the only watch I would have real trouble replacing, due to it's condition!!

You can imagine the silence that followed as we carefully picked up the watch and inspected it. It didn't show any damage and when I got home I checked it out under a loupe. Absolutely no damage!!

My friend called later to apologize for his colleagues drop and offered to cover any cost of service should I find any damage to the watch or movement.

The watch stills runs great years after despite being a somewhat delicate Hi-beat movement.

So yeah, it's possible to drop the watch without it showing or getting it damaged, ergo, I wouldn't worry about it, even it it was dropped

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Old 1 December 2023, 04:49 PM   #25
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:

Chill.

“FedEx kick dropped it for fun” LOL.

OP, as my Grandma used to say, “Don’t borrow trouble!” On the slim chance something did happen, that could cause a future problem, the watch has a 5 year warranty. Relax.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 December 2023, 04:53 PM   #26
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
People with a sound, secure and non-petty character, who understand they are selling someone a brand new watch that costs thousands and thus may trigger unusual yet also understandable levels of concern or in people over such things as damage to it, would just smile and alleviate any fears by saying: "no don't worry Sir, that was actually the sound of whateveritwas".

Showing someone the door over such a thing would definitely be a sign of a very, very poor and undignified character.
I have an unsound, insecure, petty, very poor, and undignified character. Perhaps you should also include dishonest, selfish, arrogant, irresponsible, and insensitive. Won't you?

It's not normal behavior to hear something drop in another room, suspect it must be your watch, and accuse the SA of being dishonest for not admitting to dropping it. This is the same SA who could have called the 1000+ other clients on the list for the Sub. There are no physical signs that the watch was dropped on tiles, according to the OP, and yet they still think it might have. Its a case of paranoia, mistrust, and unreasonable accusations. It's evident that even if the SA denied it falling on the floor and blamed it on 'whateveritwas,' the buyer would have still been doubtful. Hence why, as someone who has dealt with clients like this, I would advise showing them the way out. But you, snowflake, won't understand.

Imagine a waiter walking out of the kitchen with a plate of food, and the customer asks, 'Did you just spit in my food?' because they heard a splut in the kitchen. How do you think that's going to go? If you actually think the waiter or restaurant owner/manager should just smile and say, 'No, don't worry, Sir, that was actually the sound of whateveritwas’ then you’re a write off
Old 1 December 2023, 04:59 PM   #27
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I have an unsound, insecure, petty, very poor, and undignified character. Perhaps you should also include dishonest, selfish, arrogant, irresponsible, and insensitive. Won't you?

It's not normal behavior to hear something drop in another room, suspect it must be your watch, and accuse the SA of being dishonest for not admitting to dropping it. This is the same SA who could have called the 1000+ other clients on the list for the Sub. There are no physical signs that the watch was dropped on tiles, according to the OP, and yet they still think it might have. Its a case of paranoia, mistrust, and unreasonable accusations. It's evident that even if the SA denied it falling on the floor and blamed it on 'whateveritwas,' the buyer would have still been doubtful. Hence why, as someone who has dealt with clients like this, I would advise showing them the way out. But you, snowflake, won't understand.

Imagine a waiter walking out of the kitchen with a plate of food, and the customer asks, 'Did you just spit in my food?' because they heard a splut in the kitchen. How do you think that's going to go? If you actually think the waiter or restaurant owner/manager should just smile and say, 'No, don't worry, Sir, that was actually the sound of whateveritwas’ then you’re a write off
It's absolutely not a logical comparison with your the waiter and watch seller, completely different situation and context.

And yes, based on your follow-up reply you have absolutely confirmed my suspicions as to the pettiness and insecurity of your character.
Closed Thread