The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2016, 02:01 PM   #121
jcrolex777
"TRF" Member

jcrolex777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 01:35 AM   #122
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Perception: Reality

Dissing a watch or car as a "starter" or "entry level" model is a sure sign insecure snobbery to project their idealized status in the world. They likely have no appreciation of what technical merits or construction have gone into the product and just see it as a badge they can hide behind.

You can see the same arguments with Patek and the so called "starter" watches like the Aquanaut - usually an opinion from someone who has never done any homework on the model or movement and has never handled one. You get the same thing with the Boxster and Cayman from so called "experts" who in their opinion believe they are not real Porsches.

If you take time to look at any of the Tudors or Explorer I or Oyster Perpetual you will find really well made watches that offer good value for the money, will last for ever, and that you should be very proud to wear.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 03:16 AM   #123
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Dissing a watch or car as a "starter" or "entry level" model is a sure sign insecure snobbery to project their idealized status in the world. They likely have no appreciation of what technical merits or construction have gone into the product and just see it as a badge they can hide behind.

You can see the same arguments with Patek and the so called "starter" watches like the Aquanaut - usually an opinion from someone who has never done any homework on the model or movement and has never handled one. You get the same thing with the Boxster and Cayman from so called "experts" who in their opinion believe they are not real Porsches.

If you take time to look at any of the Tudors or Explorer I or Oyster Perpetual you will find really well made watches that offer good value for the money, will last for ever, and that you should be very proud to wear.
I agree. I hadn't handled a modern Tudor before a couple of months ago in Houston.
My daughter was impressed as well told me to buy the Black Bay.
Sales guy says you have the go a head, I told him that's my daughter and she has no say. Lol.
I can see a Tudor in my collection sooner rather then later.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 05:15 AM   #124
namussuz bilo
Banned

Exp 1 is probably my favorite Rolex at the moment. I find it very understated and classy.
namussuz bilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 06:08 AM   #125
ChrisM
Banned

Watch: Tudor/Tusal/Tag..?
I've two vintage Tudors bought because I like them. Won't be happy till I own a Rolex though.
Not too bothered about what anyone else thinks.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 09:51 AM   #126
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
nothing about spending 5k on a watch is considered a step down in my book.

wear what you like and enjoy
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 10:33 AM   #127
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
When I met my cousin today naturally we got talking watches (admittedly one sidedly) as I haven't seen her for a couple of years and she is aware of my watch problem. She wears a Tudor Sub (her first decent watch) which she loves but for the 'oh, I thought it was a Rolex' type comments. It's a shame because it's a beautiful piece and she's not wearing it to show off.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 10:52 AM   #128
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
New, great! Used, can't lose
Old 7 August 2016, 11:14 AM   #129
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Didn't read all the replies, so sorry if this was mentioned.......
An airking has been know as an entry level Rolex for years. Now an air King is a Milgauss with a different dial. Point is, a Milgauss is not considered an entry level Rolex , but an airking is?
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:17 AM   #130
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
Didn't read all the replies, so sorry if this was mentioned.......
An airking has been know as an entry level Rolex for years. Now an air King is a Milgauss with a different dial. Point is, a Milgauss is not considered an entry level Rolex , but an airking is?
Not anymore.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:41 AM   #131
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post

Calling a watch or car a starter or entry level, is not "dissing" as you say... Unless it is intended to be.
I wouldn't ridicule someone for wearing a Timex, but the fact of the matter is some watches and cars are starters or entry-level. That's just what they are, and people need to not get their dungarees in a bunch. I've owned many entry-level things in my life ...nothing to be defensive about. Being defensive about someone calling a watch entry level, in my opinion, is what shows insecurity .
I like entry-level Rolex, entry level Ferrari, and entry level bespoke suits . I'm actually typing this on my entry-level iPad.
I owned an entry-level house, before I upgraded. I used to enjoy watching movies on my entry-level home theater system, with my entry-level college girlfriend. I had an entry-level job, but was able to advance with hard work.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:48 AM   #132
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the term "entry level" is simply based on pricing structure. As I mentioned earlier, I know a lot of Porsche enthusiasts, including myself, who wouldn't trade a Cayman for a 911 straight across (I actually traded a 911 for a Cayman,) but, talk to Porsche themselves, and they'll tell you they consider the Cayman an entry-level coupe meant to push buyers up the ladder into the more expensive 911 someday.

Consider it lucky, rather than offensive, when your tastes prefer entry level!
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:58 AM   #133
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
^^ yes...thank you
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 10:54 PM   #134
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Well I guess the purpose of this post is that we should try to stay positive and embrace the diversity in peoples collections and the choices they make.
Considering right before the Pelagos, my other acquisition was the platona...for those that can't embrace the diversity, their heads must want to pop...talk about a "step down" in price!

My AD commented that if he didn't already know I was a watch nut in general, I confirmed it then.

How could I say no to this kind of lume?????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_201517_zpsxa4qhsku.jpg (139.3 KB, 262 views)
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 11:21 PM   #135
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Truth be told today many dont wear a watch they just wear the brand.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 11:35 PM   #136
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
How could I say no to this kind of lume?????????
You couldn't. Nice lume shot!
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 11:58 PM   #137
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I love Tudors & I think the older models are more to my liking. I buy what I like & really don't care what anyone thinks. As for the Explorer 1 being an entry level Rolex I disagree.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 12:36 AM   #138
Patrick Lim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
If my memory serves me well, I recall that Tudor has made more waves than Rolex in the past few years before a certain old guy "Daytona" came along.

Heritage chronograph, black Bay and Pelagos got so much more attention and rave reviews from critics than their bigger brothers from Rolex. Celebrities and famous folks were wearing them too.

Then again, only one thing matters - "do I like the watch".
And a resounding "yes" is the answer :)
Old 12 August 2016, 12:49 AM   #139
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lim View Post
Heritage chronograph, black Bay and Pelagos got so much more attention and rave reviews from critics than their bigger brothers from Rolex. Celebrities and famous folks were wearing them too.
Not so sure about that, but ok.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 12:55 AM   #140
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I just want to say that I have seen a couple of comments with people looking down on Tudor and entry level rolex like "I would not wear a Tudor because it would be like I couldnt afford a Rolex". Along this same vein there have been comments about the explorer 1 and no date sub being something you only buy if you cannot afford a sub or date version.
[snip]
Their loss and our gain.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 01:54 AM   #141
behitert
"TRF" Member

Let people say what they want. Being bothered by comments like that only prove them right. Wear in good health.
behitert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 01:58 AM   #142
josephvman
Banned

Bingo. I can say from personal experience that most of the guys I see with a Tudor and discuss watches with tend to be real watch guys with nice collections and usually a Rolex or two, in contrast to most Rolex wearers I come across, few of which are real watch enthusiasts. This forum isn't indicative of the average Rolex owner, but to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Truth be told today many dont wear a watch they just wear the brand.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 02:10 AM   #143
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Bingo. I can say from personal experience that most of the guys I see with a Tudor and discuss watches with tend to be real watch guys with nice collections and usually a Rolex or two, in contrast to most Rolex wearers I come across, few of which are real watch enthusiasts. This forum isn't indicative of the average Rolex owner, but to each his own.
I hear you. I've always liked a few Rolex models, but it's never been about just buying a Rolex. I dislike most of the current Rolex watches, and, at the moment, I like more of what Tudor is doing. Either way, just by looking at price, Tudor is the more "entry level" line, but who cares?
Old 12 August 2016, 02:31 AM   #144
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Agre, I know a few guys with subs that have no idea what they have other then the name on the dial.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 02:45 AM   #145
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Agre, I know a few guys with subs that have no idea what they have other then the name on the dial.
To be fair, I sometimes wish I was one of those guys. There's nothing wrong with buying a nice watch for the sake of it being a nice watch. It's not like I waste a bunch of time on forums talking about my nice hiking boots or fancy jeans, or whatever.
Old 12 August 2016, 02:45 AM   #146
ekyles
"TRF" Member

My boss is a watch guy ... laughed when I suggested Tudor.
ekyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 02:48 AM   #147
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekyles View Post
My boss is a watch guy ... laughed when I suggested Tudor.
Sounds like an idiot.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 03:05 AM   #148
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
Hi,

I've no experience with modern Tudor myself. But in terms of the so-called entry-level Rolex, my Oyster Perpetual is the most solidly-built, accurate and comfortable mechanical watch I've ever owned.
KZZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 04:59 AM   #149
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I think that in that forum there is a great atmosphere.. if somebody believes that owning a Roles is a big deal for the others, I think he is mistaken...
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 05:08 AM   #150
7shaun7
"TRF" Member

Watch: dssd daytonaC AK2
Not keen on the term entry level Rolex. Each model is great in its own right. I was out last night with my son and his new airking (described by some entry level )seemed to get more interest than my Daytona C .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7shaun7 is offline   Reply With Quote